Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
12volt air pmp I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
12volt air pmp I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
12volt air pmp I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
12volt air pmp I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
12volt air pmp I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
12volt air pmp I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
12volt air pmp I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
12volt air pmp I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
12volt air pmp I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
12volt air pmp I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

12volt air pmp

Go down 
+7
Scootypuff Snr
Old Limey
joebillybobinark
Meldrew
Easyrider
john grinsel
Lugwrench
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Lugwrench
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2018-08-15

12volt air pmp Empty
PostSubject: 12volt air pmp   12volt air pmp I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2018 5:47 pm

Happy Thanksgiving everyone
Was able to sucessfully install admire kit to give e52 top case thanks for all the help

Now I am asking about recommendations for mini air inflator.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

12volt air pmp Empty
PostSubject: Re: 12volt air pmp   12volt air pmp I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2018 6:22 pm

Get a high quality hand pump---I used a 12 v inflator on my SilverWing in remote Maine----ran battery down---remember SilverWing does not have kick starter/or cannot be bump started, jump is only way to get going and in the middle of nowhere who is available for jump start? Walking sucks.

I was lucky bike rider in truck, stopped gave me a jump----all the way back to TN I needed several jump starts---modern battery such as fitted to SilverWing, once it is run down, never seems to come back. I solved problem with new OEM battery when I got home.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

12volt air pmp Empty
PostSubject: Re: 12volt air pmp   12volt air pmp I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2018 10:05 pm

And might add, put elecctric pump in trash can!
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1013
Registration date : 2015-12-18

12volt air pmp Empty
PostSubject: Re: 12volt air pmp   12volt air pmp I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2018 12:15 am

john grinsel wrote:
And might add, put elecctric pump in trash can!

I installed a power outlet in the left locking compartment and one under my seat. Both are connected through a fused distribution box. I use a 12dc air pump all the time. Never had a problem, just remember to START YOUR BIKE BEFORE TURNING ON THE PUMP. It would help to run your idle up to about 1500 RPM with the brake on. Oh yeah, on the center stand.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4192
Registration date : 2010-11-16

12volt air pmp Empty
PostSubject: Re: 12volt air pmp   12volt air pmp I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2018 3:13 am

Good look to anyone trying to inflate more than a few lbs of air into a Silver Wing tyre roadside using a cycle hand pump. It's a deadly slow job and you'll end up annoyed, frustrated, and sweating like a glass blowers arse. Small cycle hand pumps used to be OE on old BMW's and MZ's which you'd think would be useful, in fact they were pretty useless.

In contrast a cycle track pump is the ideal tool for all 2 and 4 wheel tyre inflation. You can inflate a set of maxi scooter tyres from flat in a few minutes without breaking sweat.

The only disadvantage to a track pump is that they're about 24 inches in length, which makes them an awkward size to keep under the seat. But if you regularly check your tyre pressures, and have puncture sealant in the tyres then it's very unlikely you'll need it out on the road.
Back to top Go down
joebillybobinark
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2017-04-19

12volt air pmp Empty
PostSubject: Re: 12volt air pmp   12volt air pmp I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2018 4:03 am

anybody using co2 cartridges for tire inflation? very commonly used for bicycle tires in the states, and a puncture kit I purchased for the swing has several 16gm co2 cartridges...
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

12volt air pmp Empty
PostSubject: Re: 12volt air pmp   12volt air pmp I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2018 4:15 am

On both of my bikes I carry a kit of plugs rubber solution and three co2 canisters, I have never had to use them. I usually put new tyres on when down to 2mm tread. At home I have a twelve volt inflator I use to keep tyres at correct pressure, I check tyres weekly.
Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Scootypuff Snr

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2017-04-21

12volt air pmp Empty
PostSubject: Re: 12volt air pmp   12volt air pmp I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2018 7:57 am

I use a 12v mini air compressor on all my vehicles though due to its size if a tyres off rim flat it hasn't enough puff to reinflate.

Its used in conjunction with a Manuel gauge for accuracy (within limits) I think Ride magazine or some other motoring mag did a comparison and the gauges are iffy at best (no worse than garage forecourt pumps)

Like old limey I also carry tyre weld (threw cans away as rusting through being unused- but still seemed viable when tested) & also carry the CO2 cartridges & plugs.

My tyre checks are also weekly or before every long or spirited ride out.

I paid about £10 for the compressor from a Wal mart type store
Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Scootypuff Snr

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2017-04-21

12volt air pmp Empty
PostSubject: Re: 12volt air pmp   12volt air pmp I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2018 8:01 am

12volt air pmp 1542971112volt air pmp 15429712

and normally the cable fits neatly inside the body but used this morning in OHs German Panzer tank
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

12volt air pmp Empty
PostSubject: Re: 12volt air pmp   12volt air pmp I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2018 8:36 am

joebillybobinark wrote:
anybody using co2 cartridges for tire inflation?  very commonly used for bicycle tires in the states, and a puncture kit I purchased for the swing has several 16gm co2 cartridges...

Thinking here it would take a LOT of those cartridges to inflate a S'Wing tire from flat, if I were to do it I'd try it first even if it meant wasting a few to find out.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

12volt air pmp Empty
PostSubject: Re: 12volt air pmp   12volt air pmp I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2018 1:17 pm

[quote="john grinsel" I used a 12 v inflator on my SilverWing in remote Maine----ran battery down---
bike rider in truck, stopped gave me a jump----all the way back to TN I needed several jump starts---modern battery such as fitted to SilverWing, once it is run down, never seems to come back. [/quote]

Assuming that the battery was okay to begin with. And if it was only the 12V compressor which depleted the charge, then... If you had unplugged the headlight (say for a full day's ride) wouldn't that have allowed the charging system to fully replenish the battery while you were returning home?
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

12volt air pmp Empty
PostSubject: Re: 12volt air pmp   12volt air pmp I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2018 4:58 pm

I used the built in suspension airpump on my Goldwing more than once for my bike and a friend's Goldwing. The compressor on a GW isn't much if any larger than a small 12V unit but I've been able to inflate a completely flat GW tire with it. As already mentioned just be sure to have the engine running when you start using the compressor. I put Kaoko or Throttlemeister throttle holders on my bikes so that comes in handy keeping the rpms up when using the compressor providing enough electric power to keep the battery up.

I've been carrying a small Green Slime 12CV compressor in my bikes since I sold the last GW. It works quite well. That and a set of tire plugs have done the job and a few times.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1384
Registration date : 2016-01-02

12volt air pmp Empty
PostSubject: Re: 12volt air pmp   12volt air pmp I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2018 8:10 pm

Many small pumps will work. Something with a 90DEG. clip on are better. Faster and you don't loose much air on disconnect. Many come in large cases but can be removed and just the internal parts used much less space... Plug kit is a good idea I always carry one just learn how to use it.

Sw has a good charging system it will recharge a low battery when ridden if its a good battery.

Co2 will work also but would deflate it and refill with air after making it home. It may take 5 or 6 to fill a larger tire though.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1013
Registration date : 2015-12-18

12volt air pmp Empty
PostSubject: Re: 12volt air pmp   12volt air pmp I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2018 12:33 am

Since I installed a TPMS system, FOBO, I get realtime pressure updates. I can plan when to add air in my tires. I use Rode-On tire sealer/balancer which actually extended the time between adding air. I carry the Plug-and-Go mushroom patch. I also carry Co2 cartridges that I got from a bicycle shop. I think it is the 24 or 32 oz cartridges. Never had to use the Co2 on my bike yet, but I did use 2 to fill my friends Mini-Cooper and get him to the dealership.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1384
Registration date : 2016-01-02

12volt air pmp Empty
PostSubject: Re: 12volt air pmp   12volt air pmp I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2018 5:11 pm

Plug kit I have uses small Co2 cartridges mostly for a air rifle. BB gun type. 24-32 would fill a tire no problem. Pump is much better and always carry one.

Always buy new plugs every few years as they get hard with age. Buy some rubber glue also and keep it fresh helps to push it into tire.
Back to top Go down

12volt air pmp
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Accessories & Modifications-
Jump to: