Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Speedometer keeps going out  I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Today at 5:41 pm

» I said Farewell...
Speedometer keeps going out  I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Speedometer keeps going out  I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Speedometer keeps going out  I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Speedometer keeps going out  I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Speedometer keeps going out  I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Speedometer keeps going out  I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Speedometer keeps going out  I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Speedometer keeps going out  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Speedometer keeps going out  I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Speedometer keeps going out

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
RazorbackUofA
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
RazorbackUofA

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2017-04-23

Speedometer keeps going out  Empty
PostSubject: Speedometer keeps going out    Speedometer keeps going out  I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2018 8:27 am

lately the speedometer keeps going out and will start working has a wire short somewhere and 2 times in the last 6 mons the engine has cut out but only for 1-2 seconds leads me to think theres a bad connection in the ignition circuit somewhere, not sure if the 2 are related as they dont happen at same time.

so my Question is where is the speed sensor located? and any thoughts on why the motor had 2 flutters
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Speedometer keeps going out    Speedometer keeps going out  I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2018 8:51 am

Speedometer sensor is located at the rear wheel and is mounted on the final drive housing. Check for a frayed wire along the top of the belt case.

Check the ignition coil, high tension wires, and spark plug caps.
Back to top Go down
RazorbackUofA
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
RazorbackUofA

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2017-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Speedometer keeps going out    Speedometer keeps going out  I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2018 1:50 pm

ty i think you are talking about the very rear of the gear housing in the FD its bolted on i remember seeing it when i replaced the bearing .. and that wire i found it shorted out when i did all that work and repaired the fray will look at it again i did not put it back where it was inside the belt housing i laid it across the top and used zip ties. as for the flutter will do as you suggested it did it again a bit ago under acceleration so i paid close attention to its action it did not stop till i decelerated and hit the gas again ... so your suggestion that it could be plugs or ignition wires sounds well founded will let you all know.
Back to top Go down
craigory
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
craigory

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2011-06-25

PostSubject: Re: Speedometer keeps going out    Speedometer keeps going out  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2019 5:48 pm

Hi Cosmic_Jumper,

Thanks for the tip about the frayed wire. Thanks to you I just finished replacing two of the three wires which had frayed all the way through, and now I have my speedometer back! The wiring had completely come out of the channel along the outside of the belt cover and wandered where it shouldn't (I think it was brushing the tire). After replacing sections of two of the wires I carefully ran the wiring back in the channel, but I couldn't find any way to secure it there. Apparently the outer cover is supposed to hold it in place by pushing up against it but, obviously, it can't be trusted because the wiring fell out once already. Any suggestions on ways to make it more secure? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Speedometer keeps going out    Speedometer keeps going out  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2019 7:53 pm

Gorilla tape. Good stuff just clean all oils off first if any.
Back to top Go down
EvilTwin
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
EvilTwin

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2017-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Speedometer keeps going out    Speedometer keeps going out  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2019 9:29 pm

I ran into this same issue. There is a plastic "H" molding that holds the wire in a cast recess that is then covered by the belt housing. Easy enough to miss it and let the wire hang free (DAMHIKT). Here is mine just after I spliced it back together:

Speedometer keeps going out  PpAsxhM
Back to top Go down
craigory
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
craigory

PostSubject: Re: Speedometer keeps going out    Speedometer keeps going out  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2019 11:17 pm

Thanks EvilTwin. That's exactly how I left it when I was done, but not how I found it when I first removed the outer cover. It was completely loose from the channel and hanging in the breeze near the tire. I haven't had that cover off before, so it must have been left that way when it was last serviced at the shop a few months ago. A bit disappointing to say the least.

What year is your SWing? It is AMAZINGLY clean! Certainly not what my old 2002 looked like. Sad
Back to top Go down
craigory
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
craigory

PostSubject: Re: Speedometer keeps going out    Speedometer keeps going out  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2019 11:18 pm

Thanks for the tip Mech 1 twa!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Speedometer keeps going out    Speedometer keeps going out  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Speedometer keeps going out
Page 1 of 1