Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Dr. Pulley sliders - which ones do I have? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Dr. Pulley sliders - which ones do I have? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Dr. Pulley sliders - which ones do I have? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Dr. Pulley sliders - which ones do I have? I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Dr. Pulley sliders - which ones do I have? I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Dr. Pulley sliders - which ones do I have? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Dr. Pulley sliders - which ones do I have? I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Dr. Pulley sliders - which ones do I have? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Dr. Pulley sliders - which ones do I have? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Dr. Pulley sliders - which ones do I have? I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Dr. Pulley sliders - which ones do I have?

Go down 
+5
Terry Smith
Dave B
RarestRX
Cosmic_Jumper
wolfgh5
9 posters
AuthorMessage
wolfgh5
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2018-07-30

Dr. Pulley sliders - which ones do I have? Empty
PostSubject: Dr. Pulley sliders - which ones do I have?   Dr. Pulley sliders - which ones do I have? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2018 9:14 am

Hello,

Recently acquired 2003 Silverwing with 19,900 miles.  A glance through the maintenance records shows Dr. Pulley sliders were installed in late 2015 with belt change around 16k miles.  However, the weight of the sliders is not recorded in records, so I don't know what's in there.  I have lost contact information for the seller and cannot contact him.

Without disassembling the variator, is there any easy way to figure out the weight of the sliders contained therein?  Can we "approximate" based on full throttle RPM's?

The scooter seems to have pretty strong acceleration.  However, when giving full throttle after allowing the clutches to engage, the engine climbs to 5100-5200 rpm and stays planted there throughout the speed range until above 55-60 mph, at which time the RPM's finally climb further with higher speed.

I would think more aggressive Dr. Pulley sliders (say 24 gr) would allow the engine to climb further into the high-RPM power band than 5100-5200 RPM.  Perhaps I have less-aggressive sliders in there (26 or 28 gr), keeping full-throttle RPM's a bit lower.

No top-speed test runs and "cruise RPM" runs have yet been performed.

Any input based on WOT RPM observations is appreciated.  Thank you!
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley sliders - which ones do I have?   Dr. Pulley sliders - which ones do I have? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2018 11:21 am

Since most of the members here are 'mature', regretably our psychic powers aren't what the once were. So you're just going to have to disassemble the variator and weigh the sliders or rollers. There are no markings on the sliders or rollers.

Tim

PS: It is considered forum courtesy to first post an introduction in the, um, Introduction section.
Back to top Go down
RarestRX
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2018-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley sliders - which ones do I have?   Dr. Pulley sliders - which ones do I have? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2018 2:21 pm

wolfgh5 wrote:
Hello,

Recently acquired 2003 Silverwing with 19,900 miles.  A glance through the maintenance records shows Dr. Pulley sliders were installed in late 2015 with belt change around 16k miles.  However, the weight of the sliders is not recorded in records, so I don't know what's in there.  I have lost contact information for the seller and cannot contact him.

Without disassembling the variator, is there any easy way to figure out the weight of the sliders contained therein?  Can we "approximate" based on full throttle RPM's?

The scooter seems to have pretty strong acceleration.  However, when giving full throttle after allowing the clutches to engage, the engine climbs to 5100-5200 rpm and stays planted there throughout the speed range until above 55-60 mph, at which time the RPM's finally climb further with higher speed.

I would think more aggressive Dr. Pulley sliders (say 24 gr) would allow the engine to climb further into the high-RPM power band than 5100-5200 RPM.  Perhaps I have less-aggressive sliders in there (26 or 28 gr), keeping full-throttle RPM's a bit lower.

No top-speed test runs and "cruise RPM" runs have yet been performed.

Any input based on WOT RPM observations is appreciated.  Thank you!

I put 24gr sliders into my Silverwing.

It'll peg right at that exact RPM range (5100-5200).

Don't know if yours are 24gr, but I hear those are a popular choice.

Hope that helps!
Back to top Go down
Dave B
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2020-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley sliders - which ones do I have?   Dr. Pulley sliders - which ones do I have? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2020 4:51 am

I plan to replace the standard factory rollers (28x20 28gm) on my Honda 2013 SW T600 for eight DR-Pulley 28x20 26gm. Here in Flanders Belgium, terrain is quite flat, so I don’t really need the extra oomph to get up mountains, also my typical highway cruising speed is about 110-120km/hr, engine should rev a few hundred rpm lower than standard factory setup. By changing to sliders, I also hope to solve the drive belt slapping the bottom of the aluminium drive housing around 3000rpm(std rollers), but that is wishful thinking. I expected the smoother acceleration the sliders provide will illuminate or minimize this annoying problem (well known to everyone including Honda).

I will also change the drive belt at the same time, original belt done 22500km. My local garage told me if you change the drive belt before the recommended 24000 km, light will come on the dash which you can’t reset until the 24000 service km is reached. I find this hard to believe, if everything is working properly i.e. on slippage of the belt, etc..! Is this fact or fiction??
My apology for combining topics…!

Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley sliders - which ones do I have?   Dr. Pulley sliders - which ones do I have? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2020 5:15 am

The v Matic light can be reset any time, hold the two dash buttons in, then turn on ignition and keep buttons in for 5 sec until the indicator light blinks, release button and light should go out and not come on again for 24k km.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley sliders - which ones do I have?   Dr. Pulley sliders - which ones do I have? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2020 9:44 am

As Terry says, yes, you can reset the “V” light at any odometer mileage. But do be aware that any time the light is reset the “V” light clock resets to a new 24k km/16k mile interval.

When using lighter rollers/sliders is not uncommon for the “V” light to randomly come ON, usually during an aggressive ride. It is just a case that the ECM & Combination Meter “sees” that the rear wheel is turning faster than the RPMs are supposed to be for that speed. So it interprets that anomaly as that the belt is worn & slipping and turns on the light.

Point here is that if the light comes on at some random interval and the bike is otherwise acting normally, don’t worry. Just reset the light. But do make a mental note that you still should replace the drive belt 24k km after you initially replaced it. The “V” light / belt mileage will be out of sync until you reset it again at the next belt change interval.
Back to top Go down
Dave B
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley sliders - which ones do I have?   Dr. Pulley sliders - which ones do I have? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2020 12:02 pm

Thanks guys, great feedback on the light. I am really curious, changing to DR-pulley sliders will help/solve the problem of slapping belt around mid-range...!
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley sliders - which ones do I have?   Dr. Pulley sliders - which ones do I have? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2020 4:37 pm

I’d be changing the belt first. Can’t see that the rollers are going to change belt slap.
Back to top Go down
Dave B
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley sliders - which ones do I have?   Dr. Pulley sliders - which ones do I have? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2020 2:34 am

Thanks Terry, once I’ve fabricator a home made variation holder tool (example on the forum) I’ll have a go at changing the belt. don’t see any real problems. There are some good videos on YouTube to help the first timers like me.
Back to top Go down
janitorj1
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2014-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley sliders - which ones do I have?   Dr. Pulley sliders - which ones do I have? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2020 4:58 pm

Hey Peeps,

Yes, I've had my "V" light come on a couple of times. Here's a question: If I change my belt just cuz say I want to - no "V" light on - can I reset the "V" light as per the procedure above, even though the "V" light is not on? Hmmmm...

Jon

Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley sliders - which ones do I have?   Dr. Pulley sliders - which ones do I have? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2020 8:07 am

Try it and see I suppose.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley sliders - which ones do I have?   Dr. Pulley sliders - which ones do I have? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2020 7:55 pm

I reset mine at 13k and it still came on at 16k unless I did it wrong. I think it just comes on at 16k intervals 16-32-48 etc. but what do I know.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley sliders - which ones do I have?   Dr. Pulley sliders - which ones do I have? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2020 8:42 pm

janitorj1 wrote:
Hey Peeps,

Yes, I've had my "V" light come on a couple of times.  Here's a question:  If I change my belt just cuz say I want to - no "V" light on - can I reset the "V" light as per the procedure above, even though the "V" light is not on?  Hmmmm...

Jon

I did my reset at 8,500 miles there's 18, 3xxx on it now and the light hasn't come on since 8,500.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley sliders - which ones do I have?   Dr. Pulley sliders - which ones do I have? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2020 9:14 pm

I guess that ? is answered then. My next belt change due at 29.5k don't know if I'll hit that mark this year but going to try 27k and this weekend will add some for sure. New rear tire installed today weather is perfect down this way next 4 days. Sept. is the best time of the year not to hot not to cold .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley sliders - which ones do I have?   Dr. Pulley sliders - which ones do I have? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dr. Pulley sliders - which ones do I have?
Page 1 of 1