Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
trips with bikes/scooters I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
trips with bikes/scooters I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
trips with bikes/scooters I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
trips with bikes/scooters I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
trips with bikes/scooters I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
trips with bikes/scooters I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
trips with bikes/scooters I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
trips with bikes/scooters I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
trips with bikes/scooters I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
trips with bikes/scooters I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

trips with bikes/scooters

Go down 
+3
Meldrew
sc00ter
john grinsel
7 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

trips with bikes/scooters Empty
PostSubject: trips with bikes/scooters   trips with bikes/scooters I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2018 9:56 am

I realize SilverWings as well as their riders are getting older----but who are/is taking long trips?

End of week think I will leave for MO/KS/NB/IN  with bike---Chattanooga boring.

Bike will be CB300F 2017----something for older riders (Me 79) and SilverWing tippy and top heavy at low speed stuff---Small bike like my CB300 can be "bulldogged" both feet down, strong arms on bars=very hard to tip over or dump.  CB performance similiar to SilverWing on trip---worst features high rpm on highway and no CENTERSTAND!  Gas mileage maybe better.  Warranty nice.

Read--MCN, report on Burgman 400 this month---really poorly written, writers little knowledge of scooters and even Burgman history,  Maint. they say nut and screw valve adjustment----new engines since 2007 have shims.  They say price too high, I agree but if you want current year model big scooter in US/Canada now Burgman 400 about the only thing going----I know there is BMW and Suzuki 650 ...but price/high maint. costs and heart of Kymco with the BMW----I have test ridden both, BMW seems to have good air management, Burgman 650 just too big and heavy for me  now.

Am planning on trip on James Bay road third week in Aug---with friend from Duluth.

Sept.  Probably do Hyder AK.
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2018-07-16

PostSubject: Re: trips with bikes/scooters   trips with bikes/scooters I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2018 10:45 am

We might try a trip when the Motor Trike conversion is done. I have not done a trip over 100 miles one way in a long time. I wuss out and take the car. I read Motorcycle Consumer News, have been a subscriber for many years, and have noticed they tended to favor "manly" bikes in the past. Now they have new staff and are trying to appeal to a larger segment, hence the scooter and smaller bike reviews. They have done scooters in the past though so not all was lost. I bought my Burgman 200 due to their mini review. I needed a cheap and reliable run-about after my SYM CityCom died. Its a great little scoot! Your CB300F is a nice choice for a bike. As you know, it will do pretty much everything you need without being a burden to own. I wanted a KTM 300 Duke until I read that KTM is partnering with CFMoto for small motors. I trust the current India factory over CFMoto China junk. Im willing to bet that a lot of new smaller KTM's are going to be leaving their owners on the side of road stranded! So now if I get the bike itch I will get a Suzuki DR-Z400. I know its a bit boring next to a sexy KTM but I prefer Suzuki reliability over CFMoto "quality".
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4192
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: trips with bikes/scooters   trips with bikes/scooters I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2018 11:08 am

For me and especially since retirement bike trips are just another option. So far this year I've done my solo trip to Germany on the Silver Wing, and a big family holiday in Mallorca/Majorca with a bit of cycling thrown in. A couple of weeks ago I returned from a holiday in Toronto, Canada with Mrs M. That included a Blue Jays game, dinner at the top of the CN Tower, a Niagara Falls boat trip, getting my first tattoo, and of course eating half my body weight in poutine.

We also had a two night stopover in Lisbon, Portugal before we flew to Toronto, that included another cycle trip, sightseeing, and having my pocket picked.

In a couple of months time I'm going on a Mediterranean cruise with Mrs M and a couple of family members, so I'm quite happy to spend the rest of the year just tootling about.

Last edited by Meldrew on Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1992
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: trips with bikes/scooters   trips with bikes/scooters I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2018 11:24 am

Hi Sc00ter, I like my Motor Trike conversion. It's pretty expensive tho and cost me about $8,000 total. That's for them to make the kit, ship it to the dealer who puts it on and the dealer's expense for labor etc. However, I really like it now that it's done. It takes a bit to get used to the way it takes intersections and handles but after a while you get used to it. I rode mine around town for an hour or more just to go around intersections to get the feel of it. Just remember to push and pull on the handlebars when turning. When making a left turn push on the right side and pull on the left side. It will be a whole new feeling too. I wondered at first if I was even going to like this but after I got used to it and the way it handles I really like it. I also got the 4.5 degree rake kit when I ordered it. My SWing has just over 30,000 miles on it so I think I'll get a few more years of enjoyment out of it. That is as long as I last that long...
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: trips with bikes/scooters   trips with bikes/scooters I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2018 7:42 am

Dale is this a one of a kind kit for you or are the available for anyone.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2592
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: trips with bikes/scooters   trips with bikes/scooters I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2018 7:44 am

I am past due for a long trip. Usually I have a couple a year but this year my Silver Wing is languishing under a cover in our car port in Arizona and we are in norther Nevada (7000 feet and much cooler). I did not have room to bring the scoot up so will have to ride upon my return! With temps at 115 degrees F in Phoenix area I would not be going far anyway...
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

PostSubject: Re: trips with bikes/scooters   trips with bikes/scooters I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2018 8:24 am

oldwingguy they are available for anyone.

Just type in https://www.motortrike.com/ and there's a dealer locator tab on the upper right. Put in your zip code and they will tell you which dealers in your area are authorized to install them. They won't sell/send them to individuals because there has to be a trained dealer to put them on.

Hope this helps.

I just thought of something else. Mine took a bout 3 months total from the time I ordered it until Besser's Bike Barn delivered it. Although I didn't order mine until way late last season so I rode the SWing there and left it rather than trying to trailer it maybe in a snow storm once the kit arrived.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: trips with bikes/scooters   trips with bikes/scooters I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2018 11:30 am

Thank you, not quite there yet but it's getting close, thinking it would help when the fatigue factor kicks in on longer rides.
Back to top Go down
nooner
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2017-11-16

PostSubject: Re: trips with bikes/scooters   trips with bikes/scooters I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2018 10:23 pm

Meldrew wrote:
That included a Blue Jays game, .
On behalf of all die-hard Jay fans, I feel I must apologize for their dreadful season. I hope , at least, they were competitive during the game you took in. Cool
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: trips with bikes/scooters   trips with bikes/scooters I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2018 9:14 am

Dale N. wrote:
oldwingguy they are available for anyone.

Just type in https://www.motortrike.com/ and there's a dealer locator tab on the upper right. Put in your zip code and they will tell you which dealers in your area are authorized to install them. They won't sell/send them to individuals because there has to be a trained dealer to put them on.

Hope this helps.

I just thought of something else. Mine took a bout 3 months total from the time I ordered it until Besser's Bike Barn delivered it. Although I didn't order mine until way late last season so I rode the SWing there and left it rather than trying to trailer it maybe in a snow storm once the kit arrived.

HMMM there is a good local shop on the list, not that far away either.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

PostSubject: Re: trips with bikes/scooters   trips with bikes/scooters I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2018 9:26 am

And Besser's was kind enough to deliver it in their enclosed trailer free of charge. Luckily they delivered it after I blew off the driveway. Not sure how it would go through 8" of snow.
Back to top Go down

trips with bikes/scooters
Page 1 of 1