Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Bringing extra fuel on the ride I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Bringing extra fuel on the ride I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Bringing extra fuel on the ride I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Bringing extra fuel on the ride I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Bringing extra fuel on the ride I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Bringing extra fuel on the ride I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Bringing extra fuel on the ride I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Bringing extra fuel on the ride I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Bringing extra fuel on the ride I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
Bringing extra fuel on the ride I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Bringing extra fuel on the ride

Go down 
+5
bikerboy
Dale N.
willajabir
Cosmic_Jumper
carolina wing rider
9 posters
AuthorMessage
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2018-01-22

Bringing extra fuel on the ride Empty
PostSubject: Bringing extra fuel on the ride   Bringing extra fuel on the ride I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2018 10:26 pm

I have never brought along extra fuel on a ride before but have decided it might not be a bad idea. Has anyone ever used one of the aluminum fuel bottles with the screw off cap? I've been looking at a Primus 1.0 ltr bottle. Do they leak? I would love to hear from some of you about these..........good or bad.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Bringing extra fuel on the ride   Bringing extra fuel on the ride I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2018 11:20 pm

They dont leak. Been carrying one for years. Of course I refill the bottle frequently.

Actually the three times my bottle has been employed has been to rescue stranded Harley riders. There's a lot to be said for a fuel gauge.
Back to top Go down
willajabir
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2012-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Bringing extra fuel on the ride   Bringing extra fuel on the ride I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 10, 2018 12:27 am

Unless you are going out west or Alaska where the stations are far apart, I think you'd be safe without.
I have carried a one gallon spare when out in the west and never needed it when I had it. I have ran out 2 times when I didn't have it though. I was still able to coast into a station both times(Valkyrie with no gauge). If you plan to go into one of those areas where the stations are far apart AND do some scouting between them, then it would probably be good.
The best thing about extra fuel is peace of mind IF you worry or not pay attention to your gauge. I was like that for a while after the event with the Valk, but I soon went back to riding without it again. YMMV
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1992
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Bringing extra fuel on the ride   Bringing extra fuel on the ride I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 10, 2018 12:33 am

Hi Larry. I'll have to watch my gauge pretty close for the first couple of rides once I take my trike out. Pastor Ron said he lost about 10 mpg after his conversion so that should bring me down to just over 40 mpg and 160 miles on a fill.
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Bringing extra fuel on the ride   Bringing extra fuel on the ride I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 10, 2018 1:24 am

willajabir wrote:
Unless you are going out west or Alaska where the stations are far apart, I think you'd be safe without.
I have carried a one gallon spare when out in the west and never needed it when I had it. I have ran out 2 times when I didn't have it though. I was still able to coast into a station both times(Valkyrie with no gauge). If you plan to go into one of those areas where the stations are far apart AND do some scouting between them, then it would probably be good.
The best thing about extra fuel is peace of mind IF you worry or not pay attention to your gauge. I was like that for a while after the event with the Valk, but I soon went back to riding without it again. YMMV
I'm thinking maybe I'll try it since some of you fellas have. My main concerns were the leaking aspect which I feel better about now and worrying that I might be riding around with a bomb on board. Thanks for the advice. Terry
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Bringing extra fuel on the ride   Bringing extra fuel on the ride I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 10, 2018 1:43 am

If you do carry spare fuel make sure that it can be refilled from a regular pump without the need for a tun dish .
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4192
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Bringing extra fuel on the ride   Bringing extra fuel on the ride I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 10, 2018 4:20 am

Those 1 litre Primus alloy bottles are primarily camping stove fuel bottles, either to carry a supply for your own stove or lantern, or connected to a Primus OmniFuel stove as it's reservoir.

I have a couple similar looking 40 year old alloy Sigg fuel bottles in half and one litre capacities. They were used to carry Coleman fuel for my Coleman Peak 1 camping stove back when I used to do a lot of camping at motorcycle rallies.

They're looking a bit worn and battered these days,but they don't leak and even the O ring seals are intact.

Given that I live in North Yorkshire not Sub-Saharan Africa, there was no real justification for me buying that 2 litre motorcycle specific Fuel Friend plastic canister over in Germany a few years ago. Or the nifty screw on vented Hünersdorff 'Universal Safety Fitting' auto cut-off filler tube for it. But I did anyway and so far I've never used it.

Normally when running low in an unfamiliar area using your sat nav or phone directs you to the nearest petrol/gas station.

Last edited by Meldrew on Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Bringing extra fuel on the ride   Bringing extra fuel on the ride I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 10, 2018 8:40 am

Carolina wing rider: Unless you are planning a really remote route thru the backwoods to your destination, I don't think you need a spare fuel bottle. The SWing has a gauge, but I always top up when it is two bars from E. I made a mistake one time coming thru a woods road, paved, about 45 miles, no civilisation, and was on fumes. two bars quickly went to one. I coasted down the hills. But it got me to a gas station: I still had 2 liters !
Jay.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Bringing extra fuel on the ride   Bringing extra fuel on the ride I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 10, 2018 1:23 pm

Unless you're really out in the sticks (in which case you'll want mare than 1 litre) just take a syphon tube so you can borrow some from whoever is passing.
I'm assuming bikers in your area still stop to help anyone who looks like they need it.
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: gas   Bringing extra fuel on the ride I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 10, 2018 2:31 pm

This is all good advice. Thanks to you all.
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2017-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Bringing extra fuel on the ride   Bringing extra fuel on the ride I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 10, 2018 7:25 pm

carolina wing rider wrote:
This is all good advice. Thanks to you all.

Carolina wing rider,

A five quart motor oil container will work for you, These containers are heavy plastic with good lids and they have a carry handle on top.

Buy your oil in one of these and the five quart gas container is free.

Enjoy your Bike.

Lloyd 193.
Back to top Go down

Bringing extra fuel on the ride
Page 1 of 1