Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Oil screen stuck
raw gas fumes I_icon_minitimeby Nolabel10935 Yesterday at 11:20 pm

» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
raw gas fumes I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
raw gas fumes I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
raw gas fumes I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
raw gas fumes I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
raw gas fumes I_icon_minitimeby landisr Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
raw gas fumes I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
raw gas fumes I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
raw gas fumes I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
raw gas fumes I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

raw gas fumes

Go down 
+3
Mech 1 twa
lloyd193
Mike from NS
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2013-09-12

raw gas fumes Empty
PostSubject: raw gas fumes   raw gas fumes I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 01, 2018 12:31 pm

And for a different kind of question ........ (mine is a 2005 with about 22,000kms)

Wondering if any of you might have noticed strong gas fumes in your storage locations for your winterized Silverwings?

It has been a week or two since I filled mine, added stabilizer, and locked the shed door. Now I notice quite strong raw gas fumes in the shed. For complete disclosure, there is s snowblower and a 5 gal gas can in the same shed. Very certain the fumes are not from the gas can ... (I left that outside over night and the fumes are just as strong in the shed). Quite certain the fumes are not from the snow blower but will rule that out with leaving it outside overnight as well. I have checked the gas tank on the Silverwing and it doesn't seem to be overfilled and there is no sign of leakage beneath the bike. More checking will be done but wondered if this fume thing has been noticed by anyone else. Thanks

Mike
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2017-05-13

raw gas fumes Empty
PostSubject: Re: raw gas fumes   raw gas fumes I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 01, 2018 4:03 pm

Mike from NS wrote:
And for a different kind of question ........ (mine is a 2005 with about 22,000kms)

Wondering if any of you might have noticed strong gas fumes in your storage locations for your winterized Silverwings?

It has been a week or two since I filled mine, added stabilizer, and locked the shed door.  Now I notice quite strong raw gas fumes in the shed.  For complete disclosure, there is s snowblower and a 5 gal gas can in the same shed.  Very certain the fumes are not from the gas can ... (I left that outside over night and the fumes are just as strong in the shed).  Quite certain the fumes are not from the snow blower but will rule that out with leaving it outside overnight as well.   I have checked the gas tank on the Silverwing and it doesn't seem to be overfilled and there is no sign of leakage beneath the bike.   More checking will be done but wondered if this fume thing has been noticed by anyone else.   Thanks

Mike

Mike, I suggest you not smoke in the shed.

Happy motoring Lloyd 193.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

raw gas fumes Empty
PostSubject: Re: raw gas fumes   raw gas fumes I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 01, 2018 4:58 pm

Wise suggestion Lloyd, thanks.

Actually even lighting a match may not be a wise move until I find the source of fumes and clear the air.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1384
Registration date : 2016-01-02

raw gas fumes Empty
PostSubject: Re: raw gas fumes   raw gas fumes I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 01, 2018 5:11 pm

I never smelled gas in garage from SW. Remove snow blower first and leave door open for awhile to vent it.

Any mice in shed? they like to eat things. Maybe chewed a line to vapor canister. I've had problems before on other bikes. Bed in air box chewed wires under seat etc....
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

raw gas fumes Empty
PostSubject: Re: raw gas fumes   raw gas fumes I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 01, 2018 5:21 pm

Hmm... scratch? Atmospheric pressure causing fuel to evaporate and saturate the evap canister.  And that the scoot hasn't been started or run enough recently the evap canister would not purge into the intake system as it would under "normal" circumstances and fumes to emanate into the closed shed. 

The most practical solution would be to trailer it down to Lloyd's shop in Florida. If it still smells when you get to those sunny climes then Lloyd can take a look at it while you are off getting your mouse ears or at the beach.

Tim

YMMV
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

raw gas fumes Empty
PostSubject: Re: raw gas fumes   raw gas fumes I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 01, 2018 7:05 pm

Mech 1 twa wrote:
I never smelled gas in garage from SW.  Remove snow blower first and leave door open for awhile to vent it.

Any mice in shed? they like to eat things. Maybe chewed a line to vapor canister. I've had problems before on other bikes. Bed in air box chewed wires under seat etc....

Thanks for your reply Mech 1 twa.
Don't suspect any mice but will take a closer look. They can be hungry critters. I had the blower out yesterday and the doors open for quite a while but the fumes were strong again today.
Mike
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

raw gas fumes Empty
PostSubject: Re: raw gas fumes   raw gas fumes I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 01, 2018 7:17 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Hmm... scratch? Atmospheric pressure causing fuel to evaporate and saturate the evap canister.  And that the scoot hasn't been started or run enough recently the evap canister would not purge into the intake system as it would under "normal" circumstances and fumes to emanate into the closed shed. 

The most practical solution would be to trailer it down to Lloyd's shop in Florida. If it still smells when you get to those sunny climes then Lloyd can take a look at it while you are off getting your mouse ears or at the beach.

Tim

YMMV

Thanks Tim.
We had spring for a couple of days a couple of weeks ago; and with the streets washed with spring-like heavy rain, I took the bike for a short ride to the gas station and a longer ride back home with an added diversion for the joy of a short ride. Maybe that was the problem. Too short a ride and thus a saturated canister? Could this be what happened? Maybe I should roll her out and let it run for a while to purge the canister. Do you think this may help?

I think the beach would beat out a search for mouse ears if I happened down that way. (One friend and his wife started their drive to visit summer today. Another friend & wife head that way on Monday.) But if I did that I'd miss winter and the ski season ... such as it is this year.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1013
Registration date : 2015-12-18

raw gas fumes Empty
PostSubject: Re: raw gas fumes   raw gas fumes I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 01, 2018 7:55 pm

Mike,
Try leaving the bike, gas can, and blower out with the doors to your storage open and see if there may be something else causing the fumes. My 2¢.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

raw gas fumes Empty
PostSubject: Re: raw gas fumes   raw gas fumes I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 02, 2018 9:41 am

No fumes noticed with mine
I store 20 to 30 gallons of gasoline in 5 gal. cans in my shop and spilling just a bit causes the odor to linger quite a while. Have you looked at the bottom of your containers to see if there is the smallest of leaks? If the caps are not tight on a container the change in atmospheric pressures can cause small amounts of fumes to be released.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

raw gas fumes Empty
PostSubject: Re: raw gas fumes   raw gas fumes I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 02, 2018 6:40 pm

Thanks for the comments/suggestions Easyrider and oldwingguy. They are appreciated.

Today was a busy day and too wet to move things out. I checked the gas can cap and it is tight. Fairly new and no signs of fine cracks.
Tomorrow or Sunday I'll take at this and find the problem and report back here.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

raw gas fumes Empty
PostSubject: Re: raw gas fumes   raw gas fumes I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 04, 2018 12:34 pm

By the process of elimination ... the fumes are coming from the snow blower. Not sure from where but with the only the bike in the shed (with doors open) for many hours yesterday, there were no fumes after having the doors shut for many more hours. The blower was returned to the shed for over-night and now the fumes have returned as well. Thanks to those of you who replied to my question. Now I must check for leaks on the snow blower. None visible .... but .....

Mike
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

raw gas fumes Empty
PostSubject: Re: raw gas fumes   raw gas fumes I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 04, 2018 1:34 pm

Aw jeez, Mike... and here I hurt my brain trying to come up with the right answer.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

raw gas fumes Empty
PostSubject: Re: raw gas fumes   raw gas fumes I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 04, 2018 4:59 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Aw jeez, Mike... and here I hurt my brain trying to come up with the right answer.

And knowing this, Tim, I appreciate your input all the more!

Hope your brain recovers quickly ! Think of Lloyd's sunny climate !! That may help. Watch for Tuesday's launch of the Space-X Falcon Heavy. Maybe on NASA.gov. If the orange crop fails ,,, Florida at least has NASA !

Thanks,
Mike
Back to top Go down
janitorj1
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2014-09-07

raw gas fumes Empty
PostSubject: Re: raw gas fumes   raw gas fumes I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 05, 2018 3:02 pm

Coming soon...Silverwing Snowblower Forum!
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1384
Registration date : 2016-01-02

raw gas fumes Empty
PostSubject: Re: raw gas fumes   raw gas fumes I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 05, 2018 8:21 pm

Good idea. Mount it up front ride in any weather.....affraid

Back to top Go down

raw gas fumes
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Maintenance, Tips and Hints-
Jump to: