Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 8:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 8:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Yesterday at 2:56 am

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:57 am

» Hello everyone
Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:41 pm

» Low charging
Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Last SilverWing Ride

Go down 
+14
DerrillW
"Hi Yo"
Mike from NS
Smaug
Pastor Ron
JeffR
Meldrew
cliffyk
DickO
steve_h80
Old Limey
Bash On!
Cosmic_Jumper
john grinsel
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Last SilverWing Ride Empty
PostSubject: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 05, 2017 2:32 pm

Yesterday=last SilverWing Ride for me---Chattanooga TN Dalton GA---not far. 2013 traded for new bike, SilverWing had near 50,000 miles, it was my second new one, ending over 90,000 SilverWing miles--- they have been reliable, way overweight and unbalanced feeling, loaded for trip, at slow speeds

Biggest pain for me----the horrible buffeting, even with Givi adjustable shield.

TIP: want better handling/feeling---take the Givi box off!! Acts like rock tied to arrow. Yesterday it was off on my ride=what a difference in feeling/handling feel!

Trade in deal was fine for me, as High Miles big scooters have near zero value in US----paid to boot $1000 and my scooter got Red 2017 Honda CB300F---At 78 need lighter bike,nomal clutch, non-linked brakes ---- for exact control at low speed, feet up U turns for example.----soon windshield, Hepco & Becker C-Bow rack and bags ordered, luggage rack and if I use top box this time will try Bestem (light weight)---need this stuff added to bike as I use it for all my transportation and need to carry tools, rain gear, etc. Scooters better in this aspect with their underseat storage.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 05, 2017 2:46 pm

Thanks for the update, John. Best wishes and good luck with your new bike and your James Bay shakedown cruise.

So long, hopefully not goodbye though. Do check in from time-to-time.

Tim

The staff got together and decided to award you the honorary Don Quixote Tilting at Windmills avatar in recognition of your extreme miles and contributions to our forum's conversation.
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2015-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 05, 2017 3:11 pm

That's about, what, $3,000 for your trade? Not a bad deal at all.

Happy trails, John.

Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 05, 2017 4:32 pm

Safe riding John keep in touch, and let us know how you are from time to time, you will be missed Sad
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 05, 2017 7:14 pm

Congrats on the new bike John. Keep coming in here, we want to hear about the new bike :-)
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 05, 2017 8:07 pm

Another era passes by... you'll be missed John, so keep in touch and good luck...
Back to top Go down
cliffyk
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
cliffyk

Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2016-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 05, 2017 8:47 pm

My '06 had a Givi Monokey Maxia (the big-a$$ 55 liter sucker) on it when I bought it--rode it 75 miles from the seller's home in Gainesville to my house here in Saint Augustine--took the silly thing off within 1/2 hour of getting home--sold it for $155 on Craigslist.

It far too big for a scooter the size of a Silver Wing...
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 05, 2017 9:41 pm

I don't agree, the bigger the better. My Givi E55 Maxia has been a permanent fixture on my Silver Wing for almost seven years. My Givi E52 has sat on a garage shelf since I bought it. What's not to like, I can fill it with groceries, it takes two full face helmets so I'm not jamming the seat lock stuffing helmets under there. When I go off touring using an overnight ferry, it carries a rucksack with a change of clothes, shoes, iPad, and all my overnight kit. My helmet, gloves, and other junk go in there so I'm not lugging it all up to my cabin.

It's secure, waterproof, it has a backrest fitted for Mrs M's comfort, and I have never subscribed to that nonsense about "top boxes ruin handling". I've had no problems in high winds, cross winds, on motorways, autobahns, or on any of the variety of urban and rural roads here in the UK or abroad. Which I daresay are a lot more varied and challenging to ride than anything you're used to in Florida. That's probably why I never felt the need to use the Go Cruise that's been stored in the lid compartment of my E55 almost as long as I've had the box.

Nice of you to mention Gainsville FL, the birthplace of both ex-Eagles (and their best) guitarist Don Felder, and Tom Petty of Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers, and Traveling Wilburys fame who sadly died a few days ago.
Back to top Go down
cliffyk
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
cliffyk

Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2016-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 05, 2017 10:12 pm

No helmet law in FL, so I don't. Wife turns 74 on March 1 so she decided a couple years ago to no longer ride--"I'm not going to be killed by a geezer on a scooter" (that would be me ). So given all that the big Givi thing was just a purposeless crosswind catching annoyance. All the groceries in the world will fit in the back of her HIghlander or my Tacoma.

My wife grew up in Gainesville, and her younger (youngest) sister was in high school with Tom--FWIW, as she tells it, they were for a time "close"--must have been some truth there as it got us backstage passes more than once. He was a great guy, very friendly, one of those people that makes your feel as though you are long-lost friends right off the bat...
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 06, 2017 5:07 am

John,

Congrats on your bike and please don't leave just because you sold your SWing.  We would really miss you here.  I'm sure we would all like to hear updates and ride reports you have.  Do you know what your first long ride will be?
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 06, 2017 6:39 pm

Jeff R---sale of house/purchase of another new one AND getting new bike set up so usable in my world--have Hepco & Becker C-Bow rack and bags coming/luggage rack on back order/magnetic tank bag in use----ordered lite weight Bestem Box( for Dog--will cut hole for his head to come out)/Windshield put onYesterday..Slipstreamer C-30...works somewhat, at least no head buffeting.

Point: for practical use motorcycles need lots of add-ons to be (scooters much better to use without adding stuff)--exception maybe Honda NT700V Deauville, even standard windshield worked for me...still leftover new 2011 available in Chattanooga(but just too heavy for me and besides already had one new one)

May still get ride in to James Bay Quebec, end of Oct/early Nov.  As native of far north, based on experience, Nov 20is cut off for solo bike...then the snow flies.
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2013-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 06, 2017 10:43 pm

Thank you John for all your posts, good luck on your new ride.
Back to top Go down
Smaug
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Smaug

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2012-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 10, 2017 5:20 am

Congrats on the new ride John, but I think you may be back for a third Silver Wing at some point. You've had them long enough to take them for granted.

I'm on my second one now; regretted selling the first. The lockable storage will be missed, and the better wind protection.

The Honda CB300 looks like a nice little bike. The previous generation 250 was critiqued for really being wrung out to maintain true expressway speed. (75 mph) The extra 50cc should be just the thing.

I think you're right about the top box. Between that and the (stock) windshield, I was getting buffeted really badly on the expressways last week. A gusty crosswind and having to share the road with a lot of semis made the interstate riding just miserable. It was never that bad on my previous motorcycles. (though was just as bad on my Burgman 400) Must be a scooter thing.

But if you're dropping the top box and have no underseat storage now, what are you going to do to carry stuff? Tank bag and tail bag? Saddlebags hanging way out into the airstream?

Your earlier posts have me thinking about getting a TU250x next year. I remember how much fun I had on my 250 class motorcycles, esp. the Ninja 250. I'm sure you'll have fun on the CB.

FWIW, I don't find the Silver Wing to be hard to handle at low speed. I make low speed, feet-up U-turns all the time in the middle of two lane country roads. That's a skill thing, not a bike thing. I don't think the CB will make that any easier. Unbalanced, I can see, when loaded for a trip. One has to lean foward to make them corner properly. Overweight? I guess if you compare it to a motorcycle with the same size engine and ignore the amenities that make it heavy. Wink Find a 600cc twin cylinder, liquid cooled bike with full wind protection and equivalent locking storage, and what does the weight come out to? I bet pretty close.

You'll be back to chain maintenance, which is a pain. Not bad, but it just never quits needing to be done.

At 78, I'm not sure about needing a manual clutch. Seems like the hands/wrists/arms might need a break from clutching. I knew a guy (chess club) about your age with a BMW GS who had to give it up because of the clutch, but would not consider a scooter. Too bad for him. Like you, he had many thousands of miles on motorcycles.

Maybe you'll consider adding a small scooter to the garage. Like a 150 class for local stuff.

Anyway, best of luck!
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 10, 2017 7:01 am

New bike working out fine, getting correct windshield biggest problem...one that works!! In the morning, Hepco & Becker C-Bow bags go on, giving place for junk that one who rides everyday and uses bike for transport, needs to carry. Waiting for Hepco & Becker luggage rack to come and also cheap Bestem Box to arrive, too.

For Smaug---pls understand I have been riding 62 years and ridden over 1.5 million miles had over 75 new bikes---and I understand what is takes to really ride a bike skillfully----gas/clutch/rear brake coordination (as balance aide) at slow speeds----doesn't work real well with SilverWing....maybe linked brakes? even though I know rear comes on first---auto clutch leaves you with not complete control of when it kicks in.

CB250F is just one of many 250's that worked for me--Maico Blizzard, Honda XL 250 converted to street bike in the 70's, Honda Clubman 250(much better to ride than my current CB300, whole string of MZ's in Germany 70's/80's...they were cheap new, about $600.

As to another SilverWing=NO.....I buy only new bikes and they are no longer made, as you get older you get weaker....heavy bike not fun also.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 10, 2017 9:30 am

john grinsel wrote:
New  bike working out fine,  getting correct windshield biggest problem...one that works!!

Isn't your biggest problem finding a tall windshield made specifically for your new bike? Any roadster type bike that has the headlight surrounded by a bit of colour matched plastic purely for cosmetic and styling has the same problem.

Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2013-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 10, 2017 12:22 pm

Congrats on the new bike John and on what sounds like a great deal.  May you get at least 90,000 on this bike before the trade in.  Like others have said "Don't Go" ! Your wealth of info and the stories of your travels needs to be shared with us.  I'm sorry we didn't meet last summer when you toured to Nova Scotia.  Maybe we will meet on your next trip here.

Ride safe and enjoy your travels.
Mike
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 10, 2017 4:56 pm

for Meldrew----already ordered(Puig) second windshield for bike this AM----first one Slipstreamer had mickey mouse clamp system made for 1 inch bars with rubber spacer for 7/8 bars---lots of rain, rubber slips on bars, windshield tilts/slips back.

Maybe I should just ride naked bike.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Last SilverWing Ride 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 10, 2017 9:12 pm

john grinsel wrote:

Maybe I should just ride naked bike.

John, you're 78, please wear clothes! Laughing
Back to top Go down
DerrillW
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
DerrillW

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2013-09-28

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 13, 2017 10:26 pm

Keep riding as long as you can, John. That's almost as important as knowing when to quit.
Back to top Go down
bandito2
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2010-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 14, 2017 1:19 am

Smaug wrote:

FWIW, I don't find the Silver Wing to be hard to handle at low speed. I make low speed, feet-up U-turns all the time in the middle of two lane country roads. That's a skill thing, not a bike thing. I don't think the CB will make that any easier.

Yep, just takes application of rear brake and a bit of constant throttle to keep the clutch engaged for controlling power to the rear wheel. That way there is instant power or reduction of power just by working the rear brake. (trail braking?)
Back to top Go down
Smaug
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Smaug

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 14, 2017 5:15 am

bandito2 wrote:
Smaug wrote:

FWIW, I don't find the Silver Wing to be hard to handle at low speed. I make low speed, feet-up U-turns all the time in the middle of two lane country roads. That's a skill thing, not a bike thing. I don't think the CB will make that any easier.

Yep, just takes application of rear brake and a bit of constant throttle to keep the clutch engaged for controlling power to the rear wheel. That way there is instant power or reduction of power just by working the rear brake. (trail braking?)

I don't even do that. I just lean the bike way over while sitting up a little more vertical than I would when going fast, and apply a smidge of throttle when it starts to fall.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 14, 2017 1:06 pm

My comment to Smaug: when you get better at riding (skill) you will find gas/clutch/rear brake coordination really works----and more difficult on heavy maxi-scooter because of way clutch kicks in. A motorcycle is much easier to control in tight quarters than big scooter.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 14, 2017 1:37 pm

Not to contradict you, Mr Grinsel, but while "gas/clutch/rear brake coordination" really does work with a geared bike. It is apparent that Smaug has the skill to make a country-road U turn on a "heavy maxi-scooter". A skill that 98% of maxi scooter riders don't have.
So a tip o' the hat and a big thumbs up to Smaug for that.  thumbs up

Tim

Hey, isn't, Smaug, Tolkein's, Dragon of Laketown?
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 14, 2017 3:00 pm

Doesn't it all depend on the country roads where you are? I can ride down narrow single track country roads where it's only wide enough for one of our European size cars. You have to look ahead and get into a 'passing place' on your side of the road when you spot another vehicle approaching, and wait for it to pass. Or if the driver sees you approaching and is nearer a passing place, they'll move into that and wait for you to ride past. A friendly nod or wave of thanks to the other driver is the usual courtesy.

Then there's country roads that after heavy rain can be puddle strewn and muddy from the run off from agricultural land, and wider vehicles churning up roadside grass verges to move past each other.

Then there's country roads like these or ones that have ruts, loose chippings, grazing sheep, frost damage etc. It wouldn't even occur to me to attempt to do a U turn on one on either a motorcycle or maxi scooter. Stopping and making a three point turn doesn't take that much longer and gives you time to look for apprpaching vehicles and other dangers before doing it.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 14, 2017 4:08 pm

WT...? Courtesy when driving? Ya gotta be kiddin' me. "Courtesy" sounds like "fake news" here where road rage seems more the rule.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 15, 2017 7:21 am

Most times I do u-turns without putting a leg down. I enter the turn with some brake to slow down. I apply throttle when coming out of the turn when the bike feels like it is going to fall over to the inside of the turn. This straightens the bike out. I learned not to brake once into the U-turn. Braking will always cause you to fall. I do use a leg down when there is water, sand, or loose gravel.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 15, 2017 1:31 pm

Braking---rear brake does not cause you to fall in slow speed U turn....it keeps the bike upright. Fine control with SilverWing can be difficult---linked brakes, not much control of when power to rear kicks in. Honda linked brakes are pretty good about rear coming on first, if front kicks in it can dump you. All this stuff added to bikes.....trying to make them idiot proof.
Back to top Go down
Smaug
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Smaug

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 16, 2017 5:33 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Not to contradict you, Mr Grinsel, but while "gas/clutch/rear brake coordination" really does work with a geared bike. It is apparent that Smaug has the skill to make a country-road U turn on a "heavy maxi-scooter". A skill that 98% of maxi scooter riders don't have.
So a tip o' the hat and a big thumbs up to Smaug for that.  thumbs up

Tim

Hey, isn't, Smaug, Tolkein's, Dragon of Laketown?

Yep, nice catch! study

I think The Hobbit is probably my favorite book. Thanks for the props.
Back to top Go down
Smaug
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Smaug

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 16, 2017 5:36 am

Meldrew wrote:
Doesn't it all depend on the country roads where you are? I can ride down narrow single track country roads where it's only wide enough for one of our European size cars. You have to look ahead and get into a 'passing place' on your side of the road when you spot another vehicle approaching, and wait for it to pass. Or if the driver sees you approaching and is nearer a passing place, they'll move into that and wait for you to ride past. A friendly nod or wave of thanks to the other driver is the usual courtesy.

Then there's country roads that after heavy rain can be puddle strewn and muddy from the run off from agricultural land, and wider vehicles churning up roadside grass verges to move past each other.

Then there's country roads like these or ones that have ruts, loose chippings, grazing sheep, frost damage etc. It wouldn't even occur to me to attempt to do a U turn on one on either a motorcycle or maxi scooter. Stopping and making a three point turn doesn't take that much longer and gives you time to look for apprpaching vehicles and other dangers before doing it.

Yes, you're right. But we tend not to have such narrow roads as you UK boys. We do have gravel, which I would do a 3-point turn on.

I will say that a feet-up U-turn is MUCH faster than any 3 point turn.

I was referring to paved 2-lane roads. I'm not even sure it's possible to do a U-turn on a single lane road with a Silver Wing.
Back to top Go down
Smaug
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Smaug

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 16, 2017 5:43 am

Easyrider wrote:
Most times I do u-turns without putting a leg down. I enter the turn with some brake to slow down. I apply throttle when coming out of the turn when the bike feels like it is going to fall over to the inside of the turn. This straightens the bike out. I learned not to brake once into the U-turn. Braking will always cause you to fall. I do use a leg down when there is water, sand, or loose gravel.

Same here. But we apparently lack John's skill level.

...or maybe we just like to keep it simple.

Think of the Japanese police rider videos; (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ-pTyQZJng) where the riders are at full lean going only single digit mph sometimes. I could be wrong, but I don't think they're doing any fancy junk with the clutch or rear brake; just body english and outstanding throttle control.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 16, 2017 9:51 am

john grinsel wrote:

Braking---rear brake does not cause you to fall in slow speed U turn....it keeps the bike upright.  Fine control with SilverWing can be difficult---linked brakes, not much control of when power to rear kicks in.  Honda linked brakes are pretty good about rear coming on first, if front kicks in it can dump you.  All this stuff added to bikes.....trying to make them idiot proof.

John,
That is why you brake before going into a turn. Apply brakes during a slow turn can cause the bike to tilt over on the inside of the turn. Throttle up coming out of the turn. Whenever you feel the bike tilting over, applying more throttle will bring the bike upright. Works all the time for me.

BTW - good luck with your new bike!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 16, 2017 10:16 am

I find it amusing that this topic is now all about how to make U turns. I was out riding yesterday on the mean streets of York's Lower East Side and I made half a dozen or so U turns. Apart from looking at where I wanted to go and covering the brakes, I couldn't explain how I made them.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 16, 2017 12:03 pm

Be assured Japanese Police use rear brake as balancing aide at slow speed as well as clutch not fully engaged. I lived/rode in Japan over 20 years. Part of the idea is never to shot sudden bursts/jerks of power to rear wheel....rear brake also is balance aide.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 16, 2017 12:56 pm

So getting back to the topic of his conversation; when is it that you are doing this James Bay ride? It sure isn't getting any prettier up in those regions now.

Tim
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 16, 2017 1:32 pm

James Bay----moving into new house Oct 24---take a few days to organize garage---put new bike on lift drill/install Hepco & Becker C-Bow Bags and luggage rack/Bestem top box, cut 3 inch hole for dog's head----then decide to go or no go. Install front mud flap, too.

Trip really isn't that long---two days from Chattanooga into Quebec----one or two days on road to Raddison( trip up and back on private road can be done in one day but why? No need to kill self.)

Before leaving have to do 600 mile inspection on bike---check nuts and bolts/oilfilter change---this bike maybe use Honda 10-30 at least for awhile.

Important Note: after suffering with 9 new maxi-scooters, BUFFETING!!---have figured out how to get rid of buffeting on CB300F----two shields---Slipstream C-30 mounted to handle bars...alone not very effective, so took off---found and ordered Puig model specific shield, alone it didn't do much for long distance comfort.....so, unscientific, with nothing to lose, mounted both....AND combined they work......buffeting free, look over comfort!!, extra bonus no jacket blow up/billowing/arm fludder. Some air up wrists, but right gloves/mitts solve that problem. Nose is quite close to tip of shield as is rest of body.

Nov. to James Bay, I figured I have until 20 Nov. to avoid snow/ice. Hope I am right. Cold, weather Aerostich Darien jacket and pants---pants no jeans under (called comfort) just long underwear---add pajama bottoms if real cold. Down jacket under Darien....as Darien allows/passes air, can use nylon windshirt as windblocker.

Boots---this time Aerostich Kombat Lite---they are not waterproof for 8 hour days in rain, carry rubber overboots, which serve two purposes, keep feet dry and when real cold, help feet stay warm. Helmet will be Vega Yellow 3/4 with full face shield.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 16, 2017 2:55 pm

john grinsel wrote:
Trip really isn't that long---two days from Chattanooga into Quebec----one or two days on road to Raddison( trip up and back on private road can be done in one day but why? No need to kill self.)

Interesting, any online route planner will show the general distance and best routes between Chattanooga and Quebec. They're between 1309 and 1448 miles, and the vast majority of those miles are on motorway/interstate. So over two days that's either a 650 or a 720 miles day on a small capacity barely run in motorcycle. So even if you average speed is 50 miles a hour, on the 650 mile route you're riding for at least 13 hours a day.

You've also said plenty of times you like to stop every hour for a break, so that 13 hour ride is going to run into a lot longer than that with meals, fuel, restroom breaks and attending to your dog. You've also yet to find out if that new bike will be comfortable to ride for long days on the road.  

Apart from that, good luck.  Smile
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 16, 2017 3:48 pm

I do not use Route Planners/computers----based on past rides to Detroit---one long horribile day can get me there---my way, first nite on way to Detroit, stop sleep, second day pass by Detroit end of day be in Quebec at start of private road to Raddison(road less than 300 miles long). Should stop overnite in Raddison but could turn around and return to start.

I find route planners often made by computer geeks who actually have not done it.

My average speed including all stops, eat/gas, rest a little---speed average 42mph or 70kph.

Do not hurry as I find you get there just as fast---my case, do not have to work, wait for next check to come in---so wasting a little time=ok.

I do not go to Quebec City, but to Val-d'OR

New Hondas really do not have to be carefully run in, and using proven aftermarket equipment usually do not to worry about junk falling off or apart----Hepco & Becker stuff ok---rode to North Cap in Norway with Becker rack and top box, nothing fell apart.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 16, 2017 4:38 pm

IIRC there are no accommodations along the ~350 mile length of the James Bay Route (Matagami QB to Radisson QB). There is one fuel stop along the way though. So where would you be stopping overnight then? Maybe you've found a little-known B & B at Wemindji, on the Cree Reservation?

Last edited by Cosmic_Jumper on Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 16, 2017 9:09 pm

I have ridden this road before---BMW K-75-----carry gas can, use on way up and back, then throw away. Stretch on this road, 2nd longest in N.America without gas station. I will not ride out to James Bay as I have done that before and really nothing when you get there. May overnite at Radisson or camp along way-----which I did before and had to leave campground at 3 AM....bugs so bad.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 16, 2017 9:31 pm

Kind of cold to be camping?
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 16, 2017 9:44 pm

Cold--does it matter, if you have right equipment?
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 16, 2017 10:26 pm

I kind of prefer camping in cold weather.  Fewer crowds, no bugs, and a perverse pleasure in doing something many people think is crazy, or at least odd.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 16, 2017 11:10 pm

It depends what you mean by cold weather, I've been to winter rallies and camping weekends in December to February of our British winters well equipped for freezing snowy conditions in some remote field or campsite in the back of beyond and I'd be lying saying I'd enjoyed them.

I've still got my 25th Anniversary Dragon Rally souvenir wooly hat with it's collection of rally badges from my biker days, when I was daft enough to think spending a winter weekend in a tent freezing your bollocks off was something only 'proper bikers' did.

Later on I found the best winter option was doing the ride, booking a room in a nearby pub with good food and log fires, and getting up to a humongous English breakfast with plenty of tea and toast.

I remember staying in one pub in the Yorkshire Dales eating a lovely hot cooked breakfast and looking up to see the cold pinched faces of lads from my bike club peering enviously through the windows. The pub wasn't doing breakfast for campers, and the village cafe didn't open for another couple of hours. Smile
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 17, 2017 2:03 pm

Well, the coldest camping I've done was probably down to about 20 degrees F (-[something or other] C) at an elevation of about 6000' feet in New Mexico. Snow was falling as we were setting up the tent. I enjoyed it but your description of the Pub setup sounds better, frankly!
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 17, 2017 2:23 pm

I have done the Elephant Rally both in tent and in Gasthaus---sleeping inside much better of course.

Cold weather riding, long trips, I am prepared to sleep outside should I not be able to find room. In US Motel 6 my favorite, the old style where you park in front of room door---new type suck.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 17, 2017 9:43 pm

Smaug wrote:
Congrats on the new ride John, but I think you may be back for a third Silver Wing at some point. You've had them long enough to take them for granted.

I'm on my second one now; regretted selling the first. The lockable storage will be missed, and the better wind protection.

The Honda CB300 looks like a nice little bike. The previous generation 250 was critiqued for really being wrung out to maintain true expressway speed. (75 mph) The extra 50cc should be just the thing.

I think you're right about the top box. Between that and the (stock) windshield, I was getting buffeted really badly on the expressways last week. A gusty crosswind and having to share the road with a lot of semis made the interstate riding just miserable. It was never that bad on my previous motorcycles. (though was just as bad on my Burgman 400) Must be a scooter thing.

But if you're dropping the top box and have no underseat storage now, what are you going to do to carry stuff? Tank bag and tail bag? Saddlebags hanging way out into the airstream?

Your earlier posts have me thinking about getting a TU250x next year. I remember how much fun I had on my 250 class motorcycles, esp. the Ninja 250. I'm sure you'll have fun on the CB.

FWIW, I don't find the Silver Wing to be hard to handle at low speed. I make low speed, feet-up U-turns all the time in the middle of two lane country roads. That's a skill thing, not a bike thing. I don't think the CB will make that any easier. Unbalanced, I can see, when loaded for a trip. One has to lean foward to make them corner properly. Overweight? I guess if you compare it to a motorcycle with the same size engine and ignore the amenities that make it heavy. Wink Find a 600cc twin cylinder, liquid cooled bike with full wind protection and equivalent locking storage, and what does the weight come out to? I bet pretty close.

You'll be back to chain maintenance, which is a pain. Not bad, but it just never quits needing to be done.

At 78, I'm not sure about needing a manual clutch. Seems like the hands/wrists/arms might need a break from clutching. I knew a guy (chess club) about your age with a BMW GS who had to give it up because of the clutch, but would not consider a scooter. Too bad for him. Like you, he had many thousands of miles on motorcycles.

Maybe you'll consider adding a small scooter to the garage. Like a 150 class for local stuff.

Anyway, best of luck!

Lots of good points here, apparently coming from experience-learned rider. I must agree with a bunch of these points.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 17, 2017 9:46 pm

Bash On! wrote:
I kind of prefer camping in cold weather.  Fewer crowds, no bugs, and a perverse pleasure in doing something many people think is crazy, or at least odd.

My sentiments x zakt ly !!!
Back to top Go down
Smaug
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Smaug

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 18, 2017 4:26 am

Lots of macho talk from The Good Sir Grinsel so far. He's either an iron butt hero or full of beans. That kind of macho talk is part of why I generally like scooterists better than motorcyclists: they're about camaraderie and fun instead of trying to prove something.

1300+ miles in a day? BS. Fist of all, it is two days just by the number of hours (32) required at avg. 42 mph. Second of all, you would fall asleep and crash.

650+ on a 300cc? Probably BS too, but if not, then really pushing it, even for someone half your age. You're old enough to know better, John.

Just when is the last time you did 650+ miles a day on a 300cc bike?

Remember too that the 2nd day your body is not fully recovered from the first day.

I used to go riding every weekend with my buddies, when I was in my 30s. Hundreds of miles per day. (and a 30 year old body) I did a couple of 500-600 mile days, and they were long, even on an FJR with a Corbin seat and motorized windshield. Did 550 on the way home to the north suburbs of Chicago from the south suburbs of Nashville on the Silver Wing. Took 13 hours, so that matches your 42 mph average speed. THAT Was a long day. I took about 1/2 highways and half expressways. 1350 miles in "one day" at 42 mph would be 32 hours of riding. Not doable for a 78 year old with a dog.

Take away some of the the super wind protection, weight that helps make it so solid on the expressway vs. turbulent winds off a semi, power that makes it cruise effortlessly, no-drama luggage... On that bike, in my 40s, I might plan on 400 miles days. Maybe 400-300-400-300. On the Silver Wing, 300 was about right.

You're about twice my age, and I don't care what kind of shape you're in, your body is not as resilient. Please don't take it as a challenge, we just don't want to see you kill yourself. Or NOT see you kill yourself. (which we'll know happened if you don't report back)
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 18, 2017 12:32 pm

Who says I ride/rode 1300 miles in Day?? I will normally ride 300-400 miles a day. Usual reason for stop besides being tired, is my ears hurt from ear plugs.

Having ridden 62 years, using bike as transportation and pleasure miles pile up. Proper professional quality riding gear adds to comfort. By the way I have had over 75 new bikes, so some experience in what works and what does not.

9 maxi-scooters since 1990---all same problem=BUFFETING, very tiring, pain in butt on long rides. Base line for comfort=Heinrich equipped BMW or for that matter HD, with up-down solo seat, winter windshield kit and tin leg shields.

I am rider with nothing to prove----just like to ride and enjoy it.....and hope nothing breaks. Iron Butt stuff does not interest me as dangerous at best. Have no fear that new 300cc will be up to my usual trip pace---first problem already solved, the buffeting....done with 2 windshields--Puig model specific and Slipstreamer handlebar mounted, both mounted at same time--no BUFFETING, no jacket billowing, fairly quiet. Already have Hepco & Becker luggage rack coming, $40 Bestem box to install and cut 3 inch hole for dog's head, magnetic tank bag, and C-Bow saddlebags and mounts...will put on,drill when I get to new house and I can put bike on lift....no centerstand sucks. Also will make front fender mud flap, already have red piece of plastic picked out.

Age only enters in as you lose power to pick heavy pig off ground and you become more sensitive to balance issues.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 18, 2017 1:14 pm

John, With your dual windscreen set up it sounds as if you've managed to reinvent the laminar air flow advantage of the Givi Air Flow screen, the Laminar Lip, and the Madstad screen.

BTW It is currently 0°C in Radisson QB with some rain forecast for today and later in the week. I do hope you leave in time to dodge the nasty stuff.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Last SilverWing Ride
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next