Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Rides out ! I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Rides out ! I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Rides out ! I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Rides out ! I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Rides out ! I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Rides out ! I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Rides out ! I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Rides out ! I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Rides out ! I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Rides out ! I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Rides out !

Go down 
+6
Meldrew
The Bern
steve_h80
Old Limey
Jolly Bodger
Triclops
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Triclops
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Triclops

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2017-09-21

Rides out ! Empty
PostSubject: Rides out !   Rides out ! I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 03, 2017 7:50 am

Hi all just a question I was wondering if anybody in the north west area would be interested in rides out now and again when the weather is good
Back to top Go down
Jolly Bodger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2016-10-05

Rides out ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rides out !   Rides out ! I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 03, 2017 8:36 am

Yes!
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

Rides out ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rides out !   Rides out ! I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 03, 2017 11:42 am

I have been down that route. Joined Honda Owners club. After one hour ride they stopped for lunch after leaving nearly one hour late from (their) breakfast. Went with a group called Ugly Bunch. Upset some of them because I overtook riders that were braking half way around bends and I nearly rear ended them. I ride all the time and some of the group riders only rode at weekends. Although iam near you iam not a people person, I prefer to ride alone. Just come back from my weekly ride to Southport,go every week all year round. Weekends usually Knott End or Glass on Dock via Settle and Lancaster.
Back to top Go down
Triclops
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Triclops

Rides out ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rides out !   Rides out ! I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 03, 2017 2:38 pm

Yes I know what you mean its hard to find riders that ride as such they turn up with half a tank of fuel then need to stop part way round for fuel then somebody needs to stop for a ciggy or a brew and so on etc and all ride at different speed and you wind up waiting for one that cant keep up yes been there and got the T shirt and ridden with Honda owners it was alright if you was with the first three or four for a short while and then you have to stop for the rest so I know where you are coming from anyway it was just a thought !
Jeff
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2016-05-15

Rides out ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rides out !   Rides out ! I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 03, 2017 2:46 pm

Count me in Jeff if the rides going anywhere near me... Manchester is the deep south to me lol.
Back to top Go down
Triclops
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Triclops

Rides out ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rides out !   Rides out ! I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 03, 2017 3:19 pm

yes I see what you mean Steve way down south from you but next time I have a ride out to the
Buddist temple just up from Gretna green I will give you a call Im not religious or anything
its just a nice place to see and nice roads we found this place some thirty years ago and every
now and then we call up for a ride its an on going project and each time Ive been there is something new been built
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

Rides out ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rides out !   Rides out ! I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 03, 2017 3:52 pm

Yay, shout me if there's a ride to that temple bud, I'll need at least 90 min's lead time to get to outer Manc', those temples are great places to visit, my most recent to one was in Hawaii many moons ago
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Rides out ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rides out !   Rides out ! I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 03, 2017 4:51 pm

Triclops wrote:
yes I see what you mean Steve way down south from you but next time I have a ride out to the
Buddist temple just up from Gretna green I will give you a call Im not religious or anything
its just a nice place to see and nice roads we found this place some thirty years ago and every
now and then we call up for a ride its an on going project and each time Ive been there is something new been built

You'll mean the Samye Ling Tibetan Monastery at Eskdalemuir in Dumfries and Galloway. I rode up to there a couple of times when I lived in Cumbria.
Back to top Go down
Triclops
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Triclops

Rides out ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rides out !   Rides out ! I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 04, 2017 4:52 am

Yes thats the one its off the beaten track and once you come off the motorway at Gretna its a nice ride
up to it and once you are there its so peacefull and quiet and no phone signal its funny watching those
people than cant live without there mobile with no signal with a look of panic on there faces lol
Back to top Go down
Triclops
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Triclops

Rides out ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rides out !   Rides out ! I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 04, 2017 7:44 am

Well the Bern I will have to give you plenty of notice and meet at the services on the M6
I will keep an eye open for some dry days and try and let all know the day before at least
Jeff
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Rides out ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rides out !   Rides out ! I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 04, 2017 9:24 am

Old Limey wrote:
I have been down that route. Joined Honda Owners club. After one hour ride they stopped for lunch after leaving nearly one hour late from (their) breakfast.  Went with a group called Ugly Bunch. Upset some of them because I overtook riders that were braking half way around bends and I nearly rear ended them. I ride all the time and some of the group riders only rode at weekends. Although iam near you iam not a people person, I prefer to ride alone. Just come back from my weekly ride to Southport,go every week all year round. Weekends usually Knott End or Glass on Dock via Settle and Lancaster.

You forgot to mention that time some Yorkshire based Muppets rode off without you in Hawes or somewhere, while you were otherwise occupied splashing your boots!   Smile
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Rides out ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rides out !   Rides out ! I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 04, 2017 9:46 am

I never forget anyone, or thing, that upsets me Meldrew. What has happened to the Ugly Bunch? Never see any posts from them anymore, weren't they supposed to be "world famous" though I never heard of them till the muppets.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Rides out ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rides out !   Rides out ! I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 04, 2017 9:57 am

They're about and doing their own thing on the 'other' forum. The Bern (hi bud!) will know, he goes out on their Sunday rides for a lightly boiled egg and some Marmite soldiers. Smile

Last edited by Meldrew on Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jolly Bodger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2016-10-05

Rides out ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rides out !   Rides out ! I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 04, 2017 10:18 am

Here's a suggestion:
Instead of a ride out with the various potential problems that may or may not cause. How about a meeting place and time, anyone interested can make their own way there at their own pace.

JB
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Rides out ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rides out !   Rides out ! I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 04, 2017 12:09 pm

Not a bad idea Bodger, on reflection it might be nice to see some more Silver wings instead of me being the only one, and, as we appear to be in the same age group (and experience) we might get along.
Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Scootypuff Snr

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2017-04-21

Rides out ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rides out !   Rides out ! I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 04, 2017 1:18 pm

Jolly Bodger wrote:
Here's a suggestion:
Instead of a ride out with the various potential problems that may or may not cause. How about a meeting place and time, anyone interested can make their own way there at their own pace.

JB

Nice idea, plenty of notice so the relevant gate pass can be obtained.
Back to top Go down
Triclops
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Triclops

Rides out ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rides out !   Rides out ! I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 04, 2017 1:28 pm

OK just checked the weather Friday is clear 13c So anybody fancy a run to the Temple I will be at Lancaster services northbound M6 at 11am leaving 11.15 from the services it is 113 miles It might be a bit far for some of us or a stroll in the park for others there is a small cafe on site where you can get snacks and a brew there is a shop on site but I think it is closed between 12 - 1pm The temple is usually open all the time but you do have to remove your footwear so bring your good socks if you fancy a look inside lol if anyone wishes to contact me they can on 07596257572
Cheers Jeff
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Rides out ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rides out !   Rides out ! I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 04, 2017 1:48 pm

Friday is my Fish and chips day with the missus. In any case I thought you meant a meet up, not a hundred mile ride out. I do not go on motorways I find them boring and avoid whenever possible. Hope you have a good day and good turnout.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2016-05-15

Rides out ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rides out !   Rides out ! I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 04, 2017 2:32 pm

Samye Lings is a good place, we called in a couple of months ago on the ride back from a long weekend at Moffat.
As a mere pimply faced youth I still have to slave away during the week... so enjoy your Friday ride out.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

Rides out ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rides out !   Rides out ! I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 04, 2017 4:06 pm

Sorry bud, can't make this weekend as on pills for lung infection Crying or Very sad deffo not something I want to 'pass around'
Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Scootypuff Snr

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2017-04-21

Rides out ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rides out !   Rides out ! I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 04, 2017 5:33 pm

Shocked well that crashed & burned

Don't be detered
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Rides out ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rides out !   Rides out ! I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 04, 2017 6:36 pm

If you're over in Lancashire or the North West, there's no need to flog up the M6 into Scotland. If you're interested in visiting a Buddhist Temple, there's one a lot nearer at Conishead Priory just outside of Ulverston in Cumbria. Leave the M6 at J36 and follow the A590 to Ulverston, then the A5087 Coast Road.

Apart from Conishead Priory, the town of Ulverston is worth having a wander round. As it was the birthplace of Stan Laurel, there's a Laurel & Hardy Museum and a large life size bronze statue of Stan and Ollie in familiar poses in their bowler hats.  Then there's the Lakeland Motor Museum not too far away at Backbarrow.

I recall there was a lot of posts on another forum a few years ago about having a ride up that way and that crashed and burned too. if you're interested just go there, you don't need others to ride with you.

Last edited by Meldrew on Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Rides out ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rides out !   Rides out ! I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 05, 2017 4:24 am

I often thought of going to Ulverston. Thanks for the directions Meldrew I will give it a run , next year maybe.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Rides out ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rides out !   Rides out ! I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 05, 2017 4:40 am

Just head North from Lancaster towards that permanent black rain cloud, the road surface will suddenly change from asphalt to cobblestones, there's no motorway lighting and nothing but barren fells around you. Well apart from the odd scattering of Herdwick sheep, and the occasional wind turbine. Welcome to Cumbria.
Back to top Go down
Triclops
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Triclops

Rides out ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rides out !   Rides out ! I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 05, 2017 5:01 am

So that seems to have died a death ! So will shelve that one for warmer weather then lol
OK will try again with something easier for next time Ride Safe
Jeff

" CANCELLED "
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Rides out ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rides out !   Rides out ! I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 05, 2017 1:09 pm

Sounds a bit like Yorkshire Meldrew, suits me, I like "B" roads.
Back to top Go down
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2020-08-11

Rides out ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rides out !   Rides out ! I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2021 9:34 am

I'm thinking of heading to Burwell near Cambridge tomorrow.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Holyhead,+United+Kingdom/Llangollen/Burwell/@52.3099266,-1.1357462,7.9z/data=!4m20!4m19!1m5!1m1!1s0x486434b66c1c0fed:0x248e9cd08cfb236f!2m2!1d-4.633038!2d53.309441!1m5!1m1!1s0x48654c940229f645:0xc85509fb5f145816!2m2!1d-3.17166!2d52.969215!1m5!1m1!1s0x47d86bd7a83088eb:0x82f3355aa8c5366a!2m2!1d0.327247!2d52.27492!3e0

Does anyone know what sort of state are fuel queues like at this stage in that part of the world?
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Rides out ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rides out !   Rides out ! I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2021 1:18 pm

I held off filling up when the brain dead morons were in a panic buying frenzy preferring to ride past and observe things on my push bike.

I had a ride over to West Yorkshire yesterday and I passed half a dozen fuel stations and everything seemed back to normal with no long queues. On the way back home I was low on fuel so I stopped to fill up at the station near my home.

Not all the pumps were working, but I rode straight to an E10 pump and filled up. The only reminders of the previous weeks panic buying was diesel spillage on the forecourt from the bell ends needlessly filling fuel cans.

Last edited by Meldrew on Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:43 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Rides out ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rides out !   Rides out ! I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2021 1:32 pm

Nothing needless about filling cans when you ride a Honda. And I'll have mine with me - though it has to be empty on the ferry. The best I regularly get with a safe margin is not enough. The can means that I can run close to the absolute limit in areas where I'm unfamiliar with hours and locations of fuel stops. Cursed fuel gauge starts flashing when there's still a quarter tank left.

Anyway, ferry at 0800 tomorrow. A hundred and seventy yo-yos return - before I buy any fuel.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Rides out ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rides out !   Rides out ! I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2021 6:02 am

I bought a 2 litre Fuelfriend canister and filling spout in Germany years ago, the original idea being try to wring 200 or more miles out of my Silver Wing without filling up.

In reality I didn’t try but it was there if I was going to ride in the fat North of Scotland where there's G.A.F.A. and tank range can be stretched. But nowadays my sat nav can direct me to the nearest fuel wherever I am.

When I filled up my Forza a couple of days ago, I didn't brim the tank but according to the instrument display I have a tank range of 224 miles.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Rides out ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rides out !   Rides out ! I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2021 7:35 am

“G.A.F.A. … tank range” ?
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Rides out ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rides out !   Rides out ! I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2021 11:43 am

G.A.F.A.is an abbreviated description for those long boring roads between destinations where you ride for many, many miles with nothing to look at but Great Amounts of **** All.
Back to top Go down
Mottza
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Mottza

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2021-07-21

Rides out ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rides out !   Rides out ! I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2021 4:28 am

Meldrew wrote:
When I filled up my Forza a couple of days ago, I didn't brim the tank but according to the instrument display I have a tank range of 224 miles.

Thats pretty good as the old 300 I had would do anything between 130+33miles reserve (166) 65mpg and 160+40 miles 80mpg. Although it had been known to do 100mpg that was a rare occasion floating on gentle throttle @ 40-45mph. But never got a full tank doing that.

Haven't worked out the wing mpg but guess its in the 50's, reckon I'm getting 60+ at the mo with gentle riding during the fuel crisis. But that's no fun, WOT much more fun. Prob 150 all the time to a tank til its flashing a light.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Rides out ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rides out !   Rides out ! I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2021 5:28 am

[quote="Mottza"]
Meldrew wrote:

G'day, I actually made a mistake there, the tank range display was 234 miles, not 224. I spotted it when I went out on a couple errands on it earlier.

Then I'm taking the Forza in for it's first MOT, while I have a mooch round the nearby Waitrose.

With my Silver Wing when I could be bothered to work it out I usually got between 63 to 67 mpg. Having a pillion didn't affect the mpg either.

With the Forza I haven't done the math much since the early days, I just go for 200 miles between fill ups occasionally.

I can have my mpg scrolled up on the display if I get the get the Owners Handbook out and adjust the current setting of miles per litre.

Back to top Go down
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Rides out ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rides out !   Rides out ! I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 12, 2021 8:35 pm

The can was needed!
There was no fuel in Burwell the next morning and I ended up splitting the can with my mate from the village to get to Mildenhall - and be sure of getting back.

Good trip. Managed to get in Duxford, Old Warden, Cosford on the way home and a few pints in The Dyke's End.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rides out ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rides out !   Rides out ! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rides out !
Page 1 of 1