Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
So, how many of you have ridden with the parking brake applied?... I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
So, how many of you have ridden with the parking brake applied?... I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
So, how many of you have ridden with the parking brake applied?... I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
So, how many of you have ridden with the parking brake applied?... I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
So, how many of you have ridden with the parking brake applied?... I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
So, how many of you have ridden with the parking brake applied?... I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
So, how many of you have ridden with the parking brake applied?... I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
So, how many of you have ridden with the parking brake applied?... I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
So, how many of you have ridden with the parking brake applied?... I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
So, how many of you have ridden with the parking brake applied?... I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

So, how many of you have ridden with the parking brake applied?...

Go down 
+11
cotetoi
MikeO
john grinsel
Cosmic_Jumper
dekare
cliffyk
oldwingguy
HORNBLOWER
Old Limey
Modernman1953
mymuk
15 posters
AuthorMessage
mymuk
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
mymuk

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2017-08-17

So, how many of you have ridden with the parking brake applied?... Empty
PostSubject: So, how many of you have ridden with the parking brake applied?...   So, how many of you have ridden with the parking brake applied?... I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 27, 2017 9:47 pm

... and doesn't it stink!

In my defence, I've never ridden anything with a parking brake before now as I don't drive cars and, whilst the Scarabeo 500 has many many things the Swing lacks, it doesn't have a parking brake.

I'm surprised you can move at all with it applied, shouldn't it stop all movement?
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

PostSubject: Re: So, how many of you have ridden with the parking brake applied?...   So, how many of you have ridden with the parking brake applied?... I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 27, 2017 11:47 pm

I would think everyone has done this once.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: So, how many of you have ridden with the parking brake applied?...   So, how many of you have ridden with the parking brake applied?... I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 28, 2017 4:07 am

If the parking brake is correctly adjusted, as mine is , the bike will not move with the parking brake on.]
Back to top Go down
HORNBLOWER
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2013-10-08

PostSubject: Re: So, how many of you have ridden with the parking brake applied?...   So, how many of you have ridden with the parking brake applied?... I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 28, 2017 4:25 am

I agree with Old Limey, mine won't move with the parking brake on even down hill!
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: So, how many of you have ridden with the parking brake applied?...   So, how many of you have ridden with the parking brake applied?... I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 28, 2017 5:22 am

Yes but no stink, the first thing I noticed was the odometer doesn't register, the when I let off the throttle it slowed rapidly. Once, never again, the next to useless red warning light was on but it was a bright sunny day.
Back to top Go down
cliffyk
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
cliffyk

Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: So, how many of you have ridden with the parking brake applied?...   So, how many of you have ridden with the parking brake applied?... I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 28, 2017 6:43 am

With my '06 when properly and snugly applied the parking brake being "on" is quite noticeable,, I cannot imagine riding more than a couple feet without noticing...
Back to top Go down
dekare
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
dekare

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2016-08-09

PostSubject: Re: So, how many of you have ridden with the parking brake applied?...   So, how many of you have ridden with the parking brake applied?... I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 28, 2017 7:41 am

Modernman1953 wrote:

No. I can't remember ever using the parking brake. I forget it's even there!
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: So, how many of you have ridden with the parking brake applied?...   So, how many of you have ridden with the parking brake applied?... I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 28, 2017 8:13 am

Over the last 100,000+ Silverwing miles I've ridden I have managed to ride off with the brake still ON enough times that I kinda wish that there was an 'idiot buzzer' which would sound off when the kick stand is UP and the brake engaged.

To my defense, I do think that the brake adjustment does need frequent attention --either that or the cable stretches. The brake would stick so frequently on my 2003 S/Wing that I began carrying a long hook fashioned from stiff coat hanger wire so that I could pop the caliper lever free without coming in contact with the hot exhaust.

I refurbished the brake caliper several times to no avail, and eventually fashioned a return spring and bracket, a'la Burgman, to attach to the caliper. That solved the problem. Well the sticking caliper problem anyway, but there is still seems to be a need for that eejit light.

It's amazing how far you can ride on the Interstate before you notice that red light ON. Shocked
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: So, how many of you have ridden with the parking brake applied?...   So, how many of you have ridden with the parking brake applied?... I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 28, 2017 8:45 am

Everybody probably rides away with parking brake on.....but you should be able to "feel" it right away. Red Light is reminder.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: So, how many of you have ridden with the parking brake applied?...   So, how many of you have ridden with the parking brake applied?... I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 28, 2017 9:01 am

I have - once.
I was riding from Caen to Avranches, a mere 70 miles or so - along some minor roads instead of the motorway - and discovered to my absolute panic that the marked petrol stations had ceased to exist.
In desperation I stopped at a garage workshop and asked for assistance.
They told me that the next petrol was only a couple of miles further on.
I was so relieved I rode off with the hand-brake on.
I rarely set off on a journey without filling up and would have been fine but for the dearth of petrol stations.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: So, how many of you have ridden with the parking brake applied?...   So, how many of you have ridden with the parking brake applied?... I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 28, 2017 9:28 am

john grinsel wrote:
Everybody probably rides away with parking brake on.....but you should be able to "feel" it right away.  Red Light is reminder.

A newbie with it then and didn't remember setting it, when I did overall maintenance I noticed the pad was worn about half thickness compared to the new pad. RED light as a reminder is a joke in sunny weather with a flat reflective covering and sun glasses on, about as effective as the RED fuel warning light on my GL 1500, I replaced that bulb with a much brighter bulb just in case.
Back to top Go down
mymuk
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
mymuk

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2017-08-17

PostSubject: Re: So, how many of you have ridden with the parking brake applied?...   So, how many of you have ridden with the parking brake applied?... I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 28, 2017 10:16 am

Old Limey wrote:
If the parking brake is correctly adjusted, as mine is , the bike will not move with the parking brake on.]

Useful to know, it's in for the annual service tomorrow, I'll get them to check it.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: So, how many of you have ridden with the parking brake applied?...   So, how many of you have ridden with the parking brake applied?... I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 28, 2017 2:09 pm

I did it too: with my 2005. First thing that got my attention was the smell, and I recognised that from the mechanic leaving my brake drum too tight on my VLX ! Luckily, I caught it before any serious damage was done.
Jay.
Back to top Go down
pgnz
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
pgnz

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2017-02-21

PostSubject: Re: So, how many of you have ridden with the parking brake applied?...   So, how many of you have ridden with the parking brake applied?... I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 03, 2017 3:40 am

I read this post and thought I was far too clever for this ------- haha, guess what, I never use the hand brake, but just this once !!!. Disengaged it, but obviously not enough , Next ride, 20 k's later I noticed a red light I could not identify and tip toed to the next town and phoned her indoors to check my manual to find out what that red light meant , You all know the answer to that, No damage though, and no smell, just too close to the switch setting but it gave me cause for serious concern.

I did go over the manual with a little more dedication later !
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1983
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: So, how many of you have ridden with the parking brake applied?...   So, how many of you have ridden with the parking brake applied?... I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 03, 2017 10:02 am

I use my parking brake all the time. Mostly when parking I usually pull straight in and have to walk the SWing back to get out. Can't move it with the brake set.

I think part of this is when I first picked it up in FL from my sister we couldn't move the bike into the trailer. I didn't know it had a parking brake until my son played with all the levers and doodads etc. he could find. He found the parking brake and released it. We reset it once inside the trailer. After that I never forgot about it.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: So, how many of you have ridden with the parking brake applied?...   So, how many of you have ridden with the parking brake applied?... I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 03, 2017 11:22 am

Dale, maybe your neck o' th' wood has wide streets & parking spaces, but round these congested parts the mantra is, "back in, pull out". It's actually so much safer that way.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Leena H
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Leena H

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2016-09-17

PostSubject: Re: So, how many of you have ridden with the parking brake applied?...   So, how many of you have ridden with the parking brake applied?... I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 03, 2017 3:37 pm

After declaring my hand on my heart I´ve never ridden the the parking brake applied, it did happen. I was riding the Atlantic Roadin Norway and stopped. It took 3okms to me to notice too many red light showing. I must admit the start was a little sticky though. This happened another time two week ago, but I did´t ride that far. What did I learn: never say never again!
Back to top Go down
bandito2
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2010-04-04

PostSubject: Re: So, how many of you have ridden with the parking brake applied?...   So, how many of you have ridden with the parking brake applied?... I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 03, 2017 7:23 pm

Modernman1953 wrote:

That should probably be rephrased as "I would think everyone has done
this at least once". Er... Um... Some of us may have done it on more than
one occasion...  Embarassed  But, if the brake was set correctly, then it should become
obvious right away and would naturally get corrected.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So, how many of you have ridden with the parking brake applied?...   So, how many of you have ridden with the parking brake applied?... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

So, how many of you have ridden with the parking brake applied?...
Page 1 of 1