Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Sinko De Mayo
Should have know better.... I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 3:33 pm

» May 2024 forum picture
Should have know better.... I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 10:44 am

» checking the oil
Should have know better.... I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Should have know better.... I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Should have know better.... I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Should have know better.... I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Should have know better.... I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Should have know better.... I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Should have know better.... I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Should have know better.... I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Should have know better....

Go down 
+6
janitorj1
GHM-PM
exavid
john grinsel
Bash On!
Scooter Bob
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Scooter Bob
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Scooter Bob

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2017-06-23

Should have know better.... Empty
PostSubject: Should have know better....   Should have know better.... I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 07, 2017 12:33 pm

Scooter Bob

Scooter Bob
Sun 06 Aug 2017, 15:18 Topic: Should have known better.......
Due to vacation, work travel and weather I have not had a chance to ride. Checked mileage (70/30) freeway and surface streets and its about 54 mph. Not to bad. I've been trying to learn to ride this thing and it has felt mushy in the curves. I haven't pushed it to hard. Yesterday I extended the front fender per instructions found elsewhere and it was easy. 3$ black bucket from Fleet Farm and Gorilla double faced tape.

Thought I might try out my new air gauge and what do I find but 20 psi in both tires. Either I have the same slow leak in both tires or the dealers mechanic needs to review specs. Raining again today so I can't see what 32 and 38 psi will do for handling. I've been riding since 1964 and I'm better than this....

Scooter Bob
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2015-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Should have know better....   Should have know better.... I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 07, 2017 12:58 pm

I check tires on my cars and cycles on a regular basis and when they're in the shop I tell the service people to leave the tire pressure alone. Otherwise, the tire pressure is invariably too low or too high (more common) when the vehicle is finished.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Should have know better....   Should have know better.... I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 07, 2017 7:33 pm

Why not refer to owners manual and use the Honda recommended air pressure? Works for me.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Should have know better....   Should have know better.... I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 07, 2017 7:55 pm

I check the tires on my scooter every time I ride it. But then it has a TPM system on it. Seems to me it would be well worth it to put an aftermarket TMPS on most any bike. Ever hit something on the road and wonder if it punched a hole in your tire? A TPMS provides ease of mind. I never had one on a bike until I bought the GT but I'll put one on any bike after this one.
Back to top Go down
Scooter Bob
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Scooter Bob

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2017-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Should have know better....   Should have know better.... I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 07, 2017 8:26 pm

Thanks for all the response. It's something that I normally check weekly if I'm riding everyday. Performance was greatly improved (image that!) and I noticed a harder ride. I have Shenko tires that are near new. I'll check the recommended tire pressure tomorrow before I leave for work. I guess I would rather be a tad over pressure than under. Like I said, to much time between checking and trusting a technician can get you in trouble. Shame on me.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2561
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Should have know better....   Should have know better.... I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 07, 2017 9:21 pm

I use 30 psi front and 36 psi rear. I think Honda says 29 psi for the front so I am close. I check both my bikes about once a month. Usually little change. I would probably check more often but the rear on the Silver Wing is such a pain...
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Should have know better....   Should have know better.... I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 07, 2017 9:27 pm

suggestion for rear----throw away the standard valve stem---buy from Honda short speed rated stem which allows pressure to be checked from left side---fits my standard chuck and pressure gauge=makes life easier.
Back to top Go down
janitorj1
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2014-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Should have know better....   Should have know better.... I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 07, 2017 9:43 pm

Well, here's what I got to check my tires, hooks on, stays on, put air in through it, get the pressures right and disconnect it. And it's made in Chicago!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CJHU9W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jon
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Should have know better....   Should have know better.... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 08, 2017 7:35 am

Check that the valve cores haven't loosened off. I was losing pressure in the front, no obvious leaks, but I put about half a turn on the core with one of these

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/fuses-electricals-fixings/halfords-4-way-valve-tool

and cured it. (Typical Halfords rip-off price - lot more than I paid!)
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Should have know better....   Should have know better.... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 08, 2017 8:42 am

You can buy alloy or brass tyre valve caps with a valve stem tool integral, the old East German MZ's had them. I'm thinking of plodding down to rip off Halfords in York this afternoon, after I decide which one of my umbrella collection to use. Caring on the German theme, today in York is what used to be printed on the back of some 1980’s German motorcycle rain suits,  'Sheisse Wetter'. Neutral
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Should have know better....   Should have know better.... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 08, 2017 9:46 am

Meldrew wrote:
You can buy alloy or brass tyre valve caps with a valve stem tool integral, the old East German MZ's had them. I'm thinking of plodding down to rip off Halfords in York this afternoon,  
Still sell 'em, still ripping us off!
http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/breakdown-essentials/halfords-metal-dust-caps-with-valve-key
They only downside I can see to them is if some little scrote whips the valve cap off and takes the core out!
Back to top Go down
terrier
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
terrier

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2015-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Should have know better....   Should have know better.... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 08, 2017 2:29 pm

I have a set of these on my car and on the Silver Wing  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-RICHBROOK-SPINNING-ANTI-THEFT-CAR-TYRE-VALVE-DUST-CAPS-/190604513702?epid=2020152499&hash=item2c60ea11a6:g:jQYAAOSwEHpZN9HQ
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Should have know better....   Should have know better.... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 08, 2017 3:10 pm

Anti-Theft dust caps...Really? You have a tire valve dust cap theft crisis in your faire lande?
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Should have know better....   Should have know better.... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 08, 2017 3:30 pm

It's at epidemic levels in London and it's not only the valve caps, there's organised gangs harvesting the nitrogen in the tyres.
Back to top Go down
janitorj1
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Should have know better....   Should have know better.... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 08, 2017 4:35 pm

Amazing, "Air Theft".

I did find these on Amazon - thought they were cute, but nothing as cool as the ones you showed. As you can see, if you lose the Allen Wrench you're, well, deflated. Leaving you with an "empty" feeling.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/slredirect/picassoRedirect.html/ref=dp_sp_detail_4?ie=UTF8&adId=A08596032C1VWI75N7US&qualifier=1502224271&id=4716813604219867&widgetName=sp_detail&url=%2Fdp%2FB0716GF59P%3Fpsc%3D1

Jon
Back to top Go down
janitorj1
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Should have know better....   Should have know better.... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 08, 2017 4:37 pm

I now MUST obtain a set. Next week. Pics to follow....
Back to top Go down
terrier
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
terrier

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2015-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Should have know better....   Should have know better.... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 08, 2017 6:00 pm

janitorj1 wrote:
Amazing,  "Air Theft".  

I did find these on Amazon - thought they were cute, but nothing as cool as the ones you showed.  As you can see, if you lose the Allen Wrench you're, well, deflated.  Leaving you with an "empty" feeling.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/slredirect/picassoRedirect.html/ref=dp_sp_detail_4?ie=UTF8&adId=A08596032C1VWI75N7US&qualifier=1502224271&id=4716813604219867&widgetName=sp_detail&url=%2Fdp%2FB0716GF59P%3Fpsc%3D1

Jon

These ones that I have are supplied with a special removal tool that I can keep on my keyring. My reason for having these is not so much that normal ones get stolen but it'll stop anyone from letting my tyres down and leaving me stranded.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should have know better....   Should have know better.... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Should have know better....
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Maintenance, Tips and Hints-
Jump to: