Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 8:05 pm

» What were they thinking?
Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeby cotetoi Yesterday at 7:49 pm

» Earth cable stress
Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 7:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 5:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:05 pm

» LED Headlights
Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Dr Pulley sliders

Go down 
+16
willajabir
Meldrew
vmaximus
john grinsel
The Bern
Easyrider
Leena H
MadDog
Mech 1 twa
GHM-PM
Sidewinder Pilot
Cosmic_Jumper
BillScooterDude
Flyingpanman
cliffyk
bill tucker
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
bill tucker
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
bill tucker

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2017-07-23

Dr Pulley sliders Empty
PostSubject: Dr Pulley sliders   Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 24, 2017 7:12 pm

I was just wondering if anyone else are running the dr pullys sliders and what kind of results your having , I put the 30gram sliders in and noticed a big difference at hi way speed , at 75mph I'm doing 5100 rpm it does feel a little more doggy at take off but that's about it. was wonting any input from other members. Bill
Back to top Go down
cliffyk
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
cliffyk

Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2016-05-15

Dr Pulley sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley sliders   Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 24, 2017 7:24 pm

The stock rollers are 28 g, making what your are experiencing with the 30 g sliders what I would expect. My first change, seeking improved acceleration was to 26 g sliders, and then to 24 g. The 26's provided a good boost, the 24s a bit more but not enough for me to live with the 5200 rpms at 70 mph.

I now run four 24 g and four 26 g sliders, 5050 rpm at 70 mph (my belt needs to be replaced in a couple thousand miles) and am very pleased with the overall performance...
Back to top Go down
bill tucker
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
bill tucker

Dr Pulley sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley sliders   Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 24, 2017 7:31 pm

thanks cliffyk, do you run 1 24 and 1 26 all the way around , or how do you place your sliders. Bill
Back to top Go down
cliffyk
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
cliffyk

Dr Pulley sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley sliders   Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 24, 2017 9:44 pm

bill tucker wrote:
thanks cliffyk, do you run 1 24 and 1 26 all the way around , or how do you place your sliders. Bill

Yup, alternating all the way around--it's the only way to distribute their force evenly. Did this with 18s and 14s on my 400 Burgman too...
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2016-06-03

Dr Pulley sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley sliders   Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 25, 2017 6:14 am

If you go to the Dr Pulley web site and do a bit of searching, you'll find they recommend either 24g. or 25g. sliders for the 600 Silver Wing.
Back to top Go down
BillScooterDude
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
BillScooterDude

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2012-09-22

Dr Pulley sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley sliders   Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 25, 2017 1:41 pm

I run 22g  Dr Pully rollers I like the low end acceleration and normally don't exceed 70 on the freeways.

Bill

Last edited by BillScooterDude on Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bill tucker
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
bill tucker

Dr Pulley sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley sliders   Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 25, 2017 1:59 pm

thanks Bill for your input , I run mine on the HI way regularly and part of the hi way speed limit is 75 mph so I normally run 75 and 80. I think I will go to the 24 or 26 gram sliders, one problem I'm having is finding anything other than 28 and 30 gram sliders ? dose someone have a corner on this . thanks Bill
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Dr Pulley sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley sliders   Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 25, 2017 3:50 pm

bill tucker wrote:
thanks Bill for your input , I run mine on the HI way regularly and part of the hi way speed limit is 75 mph so I normally run 75 and 80.  I think I will go to the 24 or 26 gram sliders, one problem I'm having is finding anything other than 28 and 30 gram sliders ?  dose someone have a corner on this . thanks Bill

Have you checked with Buggy Parts North West? If you scroll down to the bottom of the link it says to contact them if you would like to special order sliding weights. But given that the Silverwing experience is new to you I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be satisfied with 26gm Sliders. As a matter of fact you would be very hard pressed to notice any difference between 26gm & 25gm Sliders. Kinda splitting hairs there.

https://www.buggypartsnw.com/index.php/dr-pulley-products/dr-pulley-slider-weights/400cc-and-higher/dr-pulley-slider-weight-28x20-for-600cc.html

Tim
Back to top Go down
bill tucker
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
bill tucker

Dr Pulley sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley sliders   Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 25, 2017 3:58 pm

thanks Tim, I have looked at there site they have the 24g not 26 and have 28 and 30 it seems that the 26g are hard to find, as of now I have the 30g in my swing now, I put in with a belt change out , just a little doggy taking off .
Back to top Go down
Sidewinder Pilot
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Sidewinder Pilot

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2015-05-21

Dr Pulley sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley sliders   Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 25, 2017 5:11 pm

Hi Bill,

I just put 25,000mi on a set of 26g's, and switched to 30g just to experiment...the difference was profound to say the least.

There was an 1100 rpm drop through the ratio change, with it only rising when the CVT travel was at max. -(My 26g set put me at 5200rpm, the 30g's were 4100)

I have a set of 24g's coming from Asia, and I'm anticipating my rpm's will be somewhere around 5500.

I think you will be the most pleased with the performance.
If you can't find them local, and don't mind waiting for the slow boat from China....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dr-Pulley-Roller-SR2820-28x20-26g-for-Honda-Silver-Wing-600-scooter-moped-/332317138279?hash=item4d5fa51d67:g:H9IAAOSwxH1ULs1x&vxp=mtr
Back to top Go down
bill tucker
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
bill tucker

Dr Pulley sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley sliders   Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 25, 2017 5:16 pm

thanks sidewinder pilot , I love the aviator that's great, was wondering at what speed are you doing your rpm study on. thanks Bill
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Dr Pulley sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley sliders   Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 25, 2017 5:17 pm

Well, if you would have to special order something then go for what you want.

Not surprizing you have more sluggish accelleration with 30gm sliders (or rollers). They are intended for better fuel economy. I know that when I tried 30gm sliders years ago, I was appalled at the lack of mid-range accelleration. Damn scary trying to pass another vehicle.

Eventually I ended up mixing 20gm & 30gm sliders to effectively achieve 25gms, which proved impressive enough. But I prefer the 26gm, sometimes even 28gm, sliders for overall performance & economy.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Sidewinder Pilot
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Sidewinder Pilot

Dr Pulley sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley sliders   Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 25, 2017 5:40 pm

Tim, do you think you can find the rpm>mph study I did a while ago? It might be useful for Bill... Thanks, I would do it but I'm mobile
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Dr Pulley sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley sliders   Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 25, 2017 9:33 pm

Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2537
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Dr Pulley sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley sliders   Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 25, 2017 9:40 pm

I switched mine to 28 gram sliders. Not much change (basically stock weight). No difference in MPG with a slight drop in RPM. Biggest thing I noticed was less vibration. I went with 28 because I use the SWing for trips, highways and some freeway usage. Did not need more acceleration. So overall for me the 28 grams work OK. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Back to top Go down
Sidewinder Pilot
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Sidewinder Pilot

Dr Pulley sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley sliders   Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 25, 2017 10:52 pm

I've been running 30g for the past few thousand miles, I like the 5-6 mpg increase, but aside from the sluggish response, (which I wouldn't experience if I weighed the 150 pounds Honda wants me to weigh) I end up running right around 4000rpm.
This is right where the engine's resonant vibration is.

Because I have a stiffer contra spring, I probably have similar results as a 28g slider.
If I went with the 32g set I would likely be below the vibration point, but would be a bit more gentle.

I'm going the other way. I need my acceleration, the cagers here do not look before changing lanes.

Back to top Go down
bill tucker
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
bill tucker

Dr Pulley sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley sliders   Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 26, 2017 8:00 am

I ordered a set of 21g and will just do a mix of 30g and the 21g , hopefully that will be a good compromise. and once aging thanks for all the help with this. Bill
Back to top Go down
Sidewinder Pilot
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Sidewinder Pilot

Dr Pulley sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley sliders   Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 26, 2017 8:29 am

21g!....You should try it for a while with straight 21's, your acceleration will be "quite strong" off the line and merging, you should be able to pass anything but a gas station! I doubt you would see much difference from the 30's at 80mph, you'll just get there way faster, so hiway mpg would be close to what you've been getting.

Please let us know, it would be good to see what max pulley travel yields as far as mph:rpm for 21g
Back to top Go down
bill tucker
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
bill tucker

Dr Pulley sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley sliders   Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 28, 2017 2:55 pm

well I put my new 21g with my 30g sliders today and so fare I like it , lots more take off and passing power haven't been on hi way yet, but will tomorrow morning a little trip in to see my father . I also changed out my final drive oil and put new in and new spark plugs , so I'm good to go for a while. Bill
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2016-01-02

Dr Pulley sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley sliders   Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 29, 2017 7:05 pm

I like the 26g I installed. Faster acceleration, Better mileage.
Went from 50mpg to 56 . Givi windshield, sliders, fork springs and top case. 2013 left over 7,900 miles so far.
Lower RPM's at highway speeds. I love this scooter. Great on hot days no engine heat.

Back to top Go down
Sidewinder Pilot
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Sidewinder Pilot

Dr Pulley sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley sliders   Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 29, 2017 11:06 pm

My 24g sliders arrived from Taiwan today, 2-3 weeks sooner than expected.
And, after dealing with the sluggish passing performance of the 30g sliders, it is none too soon!

My plan is to get up early and change them out, from my testing of the 26g and 30g sets I think the 24's will be the perfect solution, putting my RPMs right at 5400, right at the point where my power band starts to build.

I know, I'll give back the 5-6 mpg the 30's gave me, but it's a price I'm willing to pay for the ability to get out of the way in a forward direction!
Back to top Go down
bill tucker
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
bill tucker

Dr Pulley sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley sliders   Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 30, 2017 6:33 am

so I ride my swing Saturday morning put right at 110 miles on used right at 2 gallons of gas so with new 21g and 30 g mix still getting about 55 miles per gallon and that is running 75 mph and lots more passing power on the hi way , on a different note it was kind of funny I meet up with a guy I now at a stop light and he was on his roadstar , he was smiling at my bike and asked if I was retired, I'm 50 ! , when we left the light , I was the one smiling after a block. love my swing . Bill
Back to top Go down
Sidewinder Pilot
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Sidewinder Pilot

Dr Pulley sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley sliders   Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 30, 2017 5:51 pm

I just got back from a ride with my new 24g sliders, and I no longer feel like a sitting duck in traffic or passing trucks.
Totally different than 30g, with a good bit more acceleration than the 26's had, and the same RPM:MPH at hiway speed as either of them.

Back to top Go down
MadDog
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Registration date : 2016-07-11

Dr Pulley sliders Empty
PostSubject: Locating Dr Pulley Sliders   Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 16, 2017 5:18 pm

Hi regarding the sliders it seems no one in the the UK or Europe stock them , I've been trying to find the address of the actual manufacturer so I can contact them direct. I'm looking to try 28 gm any information I would be grateful.
Back to top Go down
MadDog
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Registration date : 2016-07-11

Dr Pulley sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley sliders   Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 16, 2017 5:28 pm

Hi again I don't know how I missed Sidewinder Pilots link , I have since ordered them .Once again I am grateful to all you guys ,Thanks a lot for the site. Carry on with brilliant work
Back to top Go down
Leena H
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Leena H

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2016-09-17

Dr Pulley sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley sliders   Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 14, 2017 12:48 pm

Dr Pulley sliders 23559911
A fellow SW owner in Finland has this kind of problem with his Dr Pulley sliders resulting broken variator and the belt. What might have caused the this damage? He said the metal inside the slider had broken the it. Has this happened to anyone else? Did he install them correctly or not?
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

Dr Pulley sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley sliders   Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 14, 2017 12:57 pm

Does your friend use the same weights or does he/she mix weights? My thoughts would be that the heavier weights would have more stress and start engaging before the lighter sliders causing the heavier weights to wear and damage sooner. If all the weights are the same, the load is spread evenly. That is my thoughts.
Back to top Go down
Leena H
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Leena H

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2016-09-17

Dr Pulley sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley sliders   Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 14, 2017 1:26 pm

The only thing I know that he has installed them in april and has driven only 5500miles with them.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

Dr Pulley sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley sliders   Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 14, 2017 2:06 pm

I'm guessing they were fitting wrongly, have your friend watch this video & see if they did it the same way .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-lUnRhnCz4
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Dr Pulley sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley sliders   Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 14, 2017 5:13 pm

Could have been a bad part or not installed correctly. Slider looks crushed it may have slide out of place and when the the VAR. nut was tightened it got damaged.

I'm using 26G and like them. I sometimes hear a noise at idle maybe belt slapping??
Sliders may stretch the belt a little more than its designed for. 2013 left over manufactured in 2012 so belt is over 5 years now but only 12k miles. May replace in spring if noise is still there.
Winter is here may get a ride or two in .
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2537
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Dr Pulley sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley sliders   Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 17, 2017 7:34 am

I replaced my rollers with DR sliders about 2 1/2 years ago and have about 7 K on them with no problem so far. I am guessing it was a defective part or install.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Dr Pulley sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley sliders   Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 17, 2017 9:32 am

Leena Hallasmaa wrote:
Dr Pulley sliders 23559911

This is not the first time I have seen a problem like this. Though this is the most serious one. A clue to the problem may lie in the photo: the impact gun. Quite possibly the ramp plate was not firmly held to the variator when the assembly was slid back onto the crankshaft. That allowed one Slider to dislodge during assembly. And/or one of the ramp plate sliding pieces to fall out, allowing the Slider to dislodge.

Because the impact gun was used to rapidly reassemble the other half of the variator, belt & bolt, the mechanic never got the sense that something was amiss.

And so it goes...

I personally had an incident where one Slider "rotated" or stuck and failed to return to the correct position which caused the "V" light to turn ON. I attribute that to "loose" sliding pieces which allowed a Slider to rotate when I rapidly decelerated then reaccelerated during a high speed maneuver.

As I was 1200 miles away from home at the time, thankfully I had tools along to "repair" the problem. Link to Bruce Kohler's inexpensive DIY variator holding tool:  https://xa.yimg.com/df/hondareflexowners/Variator+Pulley+Tool.pdf?token=8Yb3Om7M0bazPskBM1wmZ3DoCeN59eBim4frEOqsKXacr4uvf1-ogPX1oEN_l09PK7P4NQZx605a3GDYs8T-XAQuICosZUW1tM7LcvrTxs2O6rsYBXcMrjGX8Q&type=download

I strongly suggest that Dr Pulley ramp plate Silding Pieces be used along with Sliders. The new SP fit much tighter than OEM sliding pieces and aren't going to fall out or wear out.

Oh, and don't forget to lubricate the variator ramps and sliders when installing the new parts. The best product we've found is PB'laster with Teflon http://blastercorp.com/Dry-Lube-with-Teflon. It sprays on wet but rapidly dries to a white powder. I'm sure a similar product is available in the EU.

I also advise not using an impact gun to reassemble the variator. Use a variator holding tool and a torque wrench. That way you can "feel" what's going on.

Tim

Last edited by Cosmic_Jumper on Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:55 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Additional info link)
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3290
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Dr Pulley sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley sliders   Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 17, 2017 10:10 am

I see all this monkey business changing rollers/sliders. Stock just fine---2 new SilverWings over 90,000 miles, worked for me....and I never walked or had to make repairs underway.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Dr Pulley sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley sliders   Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 17, 2017 11:37 am

You are correct, Mr Grinsel. There is nothing wrong with a stock Silverwing. However some folks opt to tailor their Silverwings to suit their personal preferences. Just as you have opted to add a topcase, an aftermarket windscreen and Ride-On.

Tim
Back to top Go down
vmaximus
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2011-04-15

Dr Pulley sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley sliders   Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 17, 2017 1:06 pm

John just because you prefer the standard rollers on your scooter it doesn't mean that they all have the same characteristics or you haven't had any problem with them irrespective of how many miles you've ridden. The stock rollers on my 2008 silverwing where the pits, heavy vibration on take off, constant de glazing of the variator didn't help much to relieve the problem. I changed to 26g Dr Pulley sliders and it made a whole lot of difference, I don't get the vibration on take off, acceleration is better fuel consumption is about the same and I run slightly less RPM at my cruising speed so all in all I am happy with the change, if you feel that there is no need to change from he standard rollers then don't but I can assure you that on my scoot it was well worth doing the change. And on another note because I rate the Dr Pulley sliders being superior to standard rollers when I get round to doing a belt change on my 2012 Sym Maxsym 400i I will also replace the rollers for D/P sliders. There is only one person who knows how his scooter performs and that is the man who is riding it so stock is not always best. Pud.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3290
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Dr Pulley sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley sliders   Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 17, 2017 4:03 pm

Think stock----breakdown in middle of nowhere---how dealer can get parts. Breakdown remote---you may waste valuable and expensive time. My take has always been....don't like performance of bike, get something different.....cheaper in long run. SilverWing as it came new=fine except for being overweight
Back to top Go down
vmaximus
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2011-04-15

Dr Pulley sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley sliders   Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 17, 2017 4:36 pm

Think stock, Think aftermarket, if like you say you break down in the middle of nowhere you are still stuck in the middle of nowhere and parts are probably just as difficult to source however you look at it. I am just saying for me they worked superbly and just because I prefer them and I think that they are an improvement overall am not going to preach them as a must have mod on every occasion that this topic crops up, I didn't fit them as a performance gadget but as a way of reducing vibration on take off which they have done so I am happy with the result and as I have said before if anybody doesn't  like them don't fit  them, simples. With the  mention of the Silver Wing  being overweight so am I perhaps both could do with shedding a bit of ballast, which is probably another category  that a lot of people fall into.  Good night all, time for bed.   Pud.
Back to top Go down
cliffyk
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
cliffyk

Dr Pulley sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley sliders   Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 17, 2017 9:05 pm

FWIW I've got 10k miles with DRP sliders on my '06, 2k with a set of 26 g and 8k with four 24 g and four 26 g--no problems of any sort...
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Dr Pulley sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley sliders   Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 18, 2017 12:01 am

john grinsel wrote:
Think stock----breakdown in middle of nowhere---how dealer can get parts.  Breakdown remote---you may waste valuable and expensive time.  My take has always been....don't like performance of bike, get something different.....cheaper in long run.  SilverWing as it came new=fine except for being overweight

John,
Even a stock bike can break down. That's why you always ride a new bike under warranty. There's nothing to say aftermarket items are any worse than stock.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4169
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Dr Pulley sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley sliders   Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 18, 2017 4:09 am

Easyrider wrote:
There's nothing to say aftermarket items are any worse than stock.

Of course there is, there's topics about using off the shelf dodgy oil filters, various tyres that aren't as good as the OE ones, cheapo heated grip kits that aren't as good as the Honda ones. Or rubbish like those foam Grab On grips I was daft enough to fit. Then there's expensive aftermarket exhausts that do nothing apart lighten the Silver Wing a bit, your wallet a lot and advertise the manufacturers logo. I replaced my pilot bulbs with useless LED bulbs that lasted a few weeks before one failed, the OE ones I put back in are still working

The OE horn is a bit weedy but who really uses the horn much. Good luck in finding somewhere to hide a Nautilus horn or other aftermarket audio lump.

Then there's the false economy of fitting cheap replacement belts or brake pads that only last a few thousand miles. Owners that buy replacement screens for the useless OE screen that are far too tall for them rather than pay a bit extra for the adjustable Airflow. Then they have to cut them down or convince themselves and forum members that they really prefer looking through them in rain or at night rather than looking over them.

Even the Dr Pulley fetishists can't make their mind up about what slider weight to fit and rely on others experiences, or try one or two sets before they get it right.

Then of course there's the HyperPro fork springs which if you've gone through all the hassle of fitting them, you can't really say then that their advantages are minimal. Plus not everyone has any nearby twisties for blasting through, so what's the point.

In a nutshell it's old men with too much time and spare cash farkling an old scooter for no other reason other than they've been influenced by what they've read on here.  Or alternatively they've bought some old dog of a Silver Wing to throw money at.

Last edited by Meldrew on Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
willajabir
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2012-08-21

Dr Pulley sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley sliders   Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 18, 2017 9:26 am

That's right,
Don't be influenced by what you read on here.....oh wait...... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 990

Dr Pulley sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley sliders   Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 18, 2017 1:45 pm

Soooo, has anyone fitted a nitrous kit ... ?
Back to top Go down
SlvrwngTraveler
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
SlvrwngTraveler

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2017-11-03

Dr Pulley sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley sliders   Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 18, 2017 7:31 pm

Hi gang!
Can someone please post SW's OEM sliders weight?
I'm reading all these useful comments here trying to decide on which set to purchase for my 80% freeway riding. I like to keep up with the freeway traffic (70-80mph) but also would like to improve stop light acceleration if possible. Appreciate all the wisdom inputs greatly!
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Dr Pulley sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley sliders   Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 18, 2017 8:14 pm

OEM rollers are 28g

Sliders can be purchased in 21-24 -25- 26-28-30-32.
24-26 are the most popular. Faster acceleration lower engine speeds on highway. Slightly better mileage.

0-30 not much of a difference. Passing and acceleration sliders are better.

Search this site and make your decision.

Back to top Go down
pgnz
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
pgnz

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2017-02-21

Dr Pulley sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley sliders   Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 19, 2017 2:35 am

Thank you Meldrew !!!
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Dr Pulley sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley sliders   Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 19, 2017 1:12 pm

Meldrew wrote:
Easyrider wrote:
There's nothing to say aftermarket items are any worse than stock.

Of course there is, there's topics about using off the shelf dodgy oil filters, various tyres that aren't as good as the OE ones, cheapo heated grip kits that aren't as good as the Honda ones. Or rubbish like those foam Grab On grips I was daft enough to fit. Then there's expensive aftermarket exhausts that do nothing apart lighten the Silver Wing a bit, your wallet a lot and advertise the manufacturers logo. I replaced my pilot bulbs with useless LED bulbs that lasted a few weeks before one failed, the OE ones I put back in are still working

There are posts where even the stock oil filters rusted through. After market exhaust will not cause a break down. The after market grips won't set you back alot.

The OE horn is a bit weedy but who really uses the horn much. Good luck in finding somewhere to hide a Nautilus horn or other aftermarket audio lump.

I added a second horn and use it at least once a week. Too many riders talking, texting on their phones.

Even the Dr Pulley fetishists can't make their mind up about what slider weight to fit and rely on others experiences, or try one or two sets before they get it right.

Each rider has personal preferences. Some do it for performance, some want smoother acceleration from stop. The mod is inexpensive and easy to install.
I did try two sets as you state. My first Swing vibrated badly and going to the 26g sliders did not smooth out the vibrations enough, so I went to the 24g sliders and it solved the vibrations. I also liked the added low end power. I moved the 24g sliders to my 2013 Swing at 1000 miles. Never regretted it.

Then of course there's the HyperPro fork springs which if you've gone through all the hassle of fitting them, you can't really say then that their advantages are minimal.

One can't assume that the advantages are minimum unless you try it yourself.

In a nutshell it's old men with too much time and spare cash farkling an old scooter for no other reason other than they've been influenced by what they've read on here.  Or alternatively they've bought some old dog of a Silver Wing to throw money at.

Very true Meldrew! And it is because we can

Last edited by Easyrider on Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

Dr Pulley sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley sliders   Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 19, 2017 1:33 pm

^^^^^^ you need to learn how to do quoteboxes bud, that post is too hard to read & understand, I will guess though that your lines of reply are nearly as many as the lines in your sig'
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Dr Pulley sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley sliders   Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 19, 2017 4:53 pm

The Bern wrote:
^^^^^^ you need to learn how to do quoteboxes bud, that post is too hard to read & understand, I will guess though that your lines of reply are nearly as many as the lines in your sig'

Sorry, was late for church. Just corrected by changing the colors. Then again, I am color deficient.

Ah, you like my signature. I do too! Thank you!
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

Dr Pulley sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley sliders   Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 20, 2017 4:49 pm

"In a nutshell it's old men with too much time and spare cash farkling an old scooter for no other reason other than they've been influenced by what they've read on here. Or alternatively they've bought some old dog of a Silver Wing to throw money at."

"Very true Meldrew! And it is because we can"

Both above quotes deserve repeating. That's what those of us on this forum are all about. I probably wouldn't dress my bike the way you dress yours, and you wouldn't submit to all of my ideas, either, but it's fun to copy something from everybody--good ideas and help here!
Back to top Go down
SlvrwngTraveler
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
SlvrwngTraveler

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2017-11-03

Dr Pulley sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley sliders   Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 21, 2017 12:35 pm

Thanks for the info Mech 1 twa.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dr Pulley sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley sliders   Dr Pulley sliders I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dr Pulley sliders
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next