Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
CarTire Comparison what tires are compared to other I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
CarTire Comparison what tires are compared to other I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
CarTire Comparison what tires are compared to other I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
CarTire Comparison what tires are compared to other I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
CarTire Comparison what tires are compared to other I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
CarTire Comparison what tires are compared to other I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
CarTire Comparison what tires are compared to other I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
CarTire Comparison what tires are compared to other I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
CarTire Comparison what tires are compared to other I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
CarTire Comparison what tires are compared to other I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

CarTire Comparison what tires are compared to other

Go down 
+2
john grinsel
hondos
6 posters
AuthorMessage
hondos
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2017-03-11

CarTire Comparison what tires are compared to other Empty
PostSubject: CarTire Comparison what tires are compared to other   CarTire Comparison what tires are compared to other I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 01, 2017 2:03 pm

I am Not running a Car tire on my 05' Silverwing yet.

I am looking at Car Tire comparisons, or Car tires compared to other Car tires, to decide which one I want to use.

I looked at a few to see how different tire manufacturers compounds compared to each other.

I like the General Tire Altimax RT43 175-70/13, $53.00.

AltiMAX RT43 (Road Touring) tires featuring T-speed ratings are General's Standard Touring All-Season tire members of their AltiMAX family of flagship tires. Designed to deliver impressive consumer value through even treadwear and extended treadlife, the AltiMAX RT43 combines a quiet, comfortable ride with year-round, all-season traction, even in light snow.
AltiMAX RT43 tires feature a Twin Cushion Silica Tread Compound that places a high-density all-season top compound for year-round traction and long wear above a low-density foundation compound that absorbs road vibrations to promote a comfortable ride. The tread compound is molded into a symmetric tread design featuring a continuous center rib and independent tread blocks that use sound wave suppression technology to reduce road noise for a quiet ride. Circumferential grooves and General's Anti-Slip Sipe Design Technology increases the number of biting edges to enhance traction on slippery roads.
The tire's internal structure features a Low Surface Abrasion Technology construction that reduces tread distortion as the tire rolls, resulting in less surface abrasion to promote even treadwear and extend treadlife. Twin steel belts reinforced by one layer of spirally wrapped polyamide stabilize the tread area for good handling while a polyester cord body enhances ride quality.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=AltiMAX+RT43+%28T-Speed+Rated%29&partnum=77TR3AMRT43&i1_Qty=1&i1_Qty=1

The link above shows two videos,
1. Dry testing comparison:
2. Wet/Snow testing Comparison:

1. Dry testing of a few different manufacturers compared to each other.
2. Shows Link to Wet/Snow testing comparison also.

I will do some Tire to Inner fender/swing Arm measuring, and spec's check, to make sure it will fit after considering the rear suspension travel.

I will also look at Stock tire measurements/weights compared to the CarTire I am considering.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: CarTire Comparison what tires are compared to other   CarTire Comparison what tires are compared to other I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 01, 2017 3:23 pm

Read SAE paper on car tires not fitting mc rims!! Safety!

SilverWing handles bad enough with fresh OEM recommended tires, IRC, as of 2013, why do anything to make it worse?

Honda has/had figured out the tire combination that works best----tackle box techs usually do not improve their work.-----Car tires on bikes against the law in some countries and there are insurance issues.
Back to top Go down
bandito2
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2010-04-04

PostSubject: Re: CarTire Comparison what tires are compared to other   CarTire Comparison what tires are compared to other I_icon_minitimeSun May 14, 2017 1:59 pm

You could read this item. It is a bit long but it covers a lot. Addresses safety issues as well though admittedly pro darkside.

http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/t7188-for-maxi-scooters-the-darkside-according-to-bandito2-part-1-2

Most tires that you could use for the Silverwing 600 will work pretty good and it may be difficult to notice any difference in performance between tires of a given size. That is to say most any brand of 155/70R13 is going to perform and behave like any other brand of 155/70R13 car tire. There are noticeable differences between the differing sizes regardless of brand/maker. However, winter/snow tires will wear differently than all season tires. The compounds they use have more silicates making them have better grip for cold and wet conditions. However, winter tires wear quicker and are less effective for braking than a summer or all season tire on hot pavement.

Last edited by bandito2 on Sun May 14, 2017 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: CarTire Comparison what tires are compared to other   CarTire Comparison what tires are compared to other I_icon_minitimeSun May 14, 2017 2:40 pm

I don't get it. Why darkside?
Legality aside we change tyres over this side of the pond once they square off because it spoils the handling through the curves.
Or is it just a "I can so I will" thing?
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

PostSubject: Re: CarTire Comparison what tires are compared to other   CarTire Comparison what tires are compared to other I_icon_minitimeSun May 14, 2017 2:50 pm

Good question about car tires.  Do the search function on this forum and see what those that have done it used.  I did that.  

Car tires on scooters last 30,000 miles before the wear bars.  That is over twice the mileage at 1/2 the price.  For those that don't take their wheel off and mount their own tire, that is skipping two tire changes per car tire.  

There is no insurance issue with a "car" tire in the USA.  There are two classifications of tires that fit on your scooter:  

1.  Passenger tire
2.  Motorcycle tire

Both of these classifications are DOT approved.   Google "car tire on a motorcycle insurance" and see what you get.

Then google "insurance claims denied because of a car tire mounted on a motorcycle."

Google can be your friend.

Contempt prior to investigation.  

There are plenty of people who run a car tire on the back of their Silverwing that no longer post here.   The naysayers will say those people died as a result of using a car tire on their Swing.
Back to top Go down
bandito2
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: CarTire Comparison what tires are compared to other   CarTire Comparison what tires are compared to other I_icon_minitimeSun May 14, 2017 3:04 pm

steve_h80 wrote:
I don't get it. Why darkside?
Legality aside we change tyres over this side of the pond once they square off because it spoils the handling through the curves.
Or is it just a "I can so I will" thing?

Even if you did get "why darkside", you couldn't do it. The practice of putting a car tire on a motorcycle is prohibited over there where you are. Some, perhaps most of us here in the USA/North America that do use a car tire on our bikes are tolerant of the "squared off" effect. The different riding aspects can be adjusted and adapted to.

Tire longevity is probably the first thing car tire riders are looking for, then braking performance; especially for wet conditions, then lower frequency of tire changes and overall lower costs and for some tires, an improvement in fuel economy (though it may only be a small amount)... and most probably in that order... And we are very glad that we can do it.
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: CarTire Comparison what tires are compared to other   CarTire Comparison what tires are compared to other I_icon_minitimeSun May 14, 2017 3:24 pm

Total load rating of the tire is one other reason to run a car tire on the Goldwing.

Tire load rating is 300 lbs higher on a typical car tire.

Last edited by Modernman1953 on Sun May 14, 2017 3:31 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: CarTire Comparison what tires are compared to other   CarTire Comparison what tires are compared to other I_icon_minitimeSun May 14, 2017 3:25 pm

"Run Flat" is also a big reason.  Car tire technology has improved and the sidewalls have been strengthened so that some car tires can run 50 miles without air pressure.

Utilizing a Run Flat car tire and a tire pressure monitoring system, the operator is in an excellent position to maintain control in the event of a rear tire blow out or even a front tire going flat.  

This is precisely why I use a car tire on my Goldwing besides this:

Motorcycle tire for the Goldwing:  $225.
Car tire:  $110.

Mileage:    25,000 miles on the car tire.
              10,000 if you are lucky on the Goldwing with a motorcycle tire.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: CarTire Comparison what tires are compared to other   CarTire Comparison what tires are compared to other I_icon_minitimeMon May 15, 2017 2:42 am

A rear tyre fitted to a removed wheel costs about £50 over here and will last perhaps 5000 miles, filling the fuel tank from empty costs around £18 and I have to add fuel just about every time I go for a ride.
So the cost saving doesn't add up to much for me, there again I only do low miles each year and very few of those on long straight roads.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: CarTire Comparison what tires are compared to other   CarTire Comparison what tires are compared to other I_icon_minitimeMon May 15, 2017 8:27 am

Bandito2, what darkside (brand/size) tire are you using on your Silverwing?

Tim
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: CarTire Comparison what tires are compared to other   CarTire Comparison what tires are compared to other I_icon_minitimeMon May 15, 2017 1:36 pm

steve_h80 wrote:
A rear tyre fitted to a removed wheel costs about £50 over here and will last perhaps 5000 miles, filling the fuel tank from empty costs around £18 and I have to add fuel just about every time I go for a ride.
So the cost saving doesn't add up to much for me, there again I only do low miles each year and very few of those on long straight roads.

You are right.... it is not a big savings for those who don't put in a lot of miles. For those that do 20,000 miles a year that is at least couple of motorcycle tire changes a year.

There is no drop off in performance in the twisty road riding. It is just different. Counter steering and accelerating out of a corner is exactly the same. The fun is the same too.

It is just an alternative choice for motorcyclist that are fitted for tubeless tires in most places.
Back to top Go down
bandito2
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: CarTire Comparison what tires are compared to other   CarTire Comparison what tires are compared to other I_icon_minitimeThu May 18, 2017 1:14 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Bandito2, what darkside (brand/size) tire are you using on your Silverwing?

Tim

(Lifted this from a post I wrote about a year ago)

The tire I use is a ROADSTONE CLASSE PREMIER 165/65R13  rated 77T.. It has that "V' kind of symmetrical tread pattern you are probably seeking. Made in Korea.. probably by Nexen as I have seen that name associated with ROADSTONE when looking for tires. I got it off of ebay since I couldn't find one locally.

But part of the reason I wanted that particular size was so that it would be as close to the stock tire diameter so that there would be no problem with the ABS braking system. It works with no issues at all with the ABS and has only a very small effect on the speedometer/odometer.

It has that more squarish profile since it has the 65% sidewall and works fine, but is not as smooth transitioning the leaning left to right as the taller tire with a little more rounded shoulder. And throttle off, the 175/70R13 seemed to keep it rolling and rolling and rolling.... and did help with the fuel economy a little... at least that is what I found during my experiments with that taller tire.

Still, I like the 165/65R13 just fine. No troubles while riding.. Haven't had opportunity to take it over bridges, didn't notice anything unusual on grooved pavement, (but that will make ANY tire feel a little squirmy) I've not noticed any hydroplaning in standing water (but I do slow down in rain so...) we don't have too many tar snakes here where I ride mostly, but no issues with ones I have encountered. I've gone down dirt/gravel unpaved roads without issue. (but part of that is a rider skill thing) Still, I think it is a good tire.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CarTire Comparison what tires are compared to other   CarTire Comparison what tires are compared to other I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CarTire Comparison what tires are compared to other
Page 1 of 1