Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
has anyone compared the mph on odo vs gps? I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 9:19 pm

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
has anyone compared the mph on odo vs gps? I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» checking the oil
has anyone compared the mph on odo vs gps? I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Fri May 03, 2024 7:41 am

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
has anyone compared the mph on odo vs gps? I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
has anyone compared the mph on odo vs gps? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
has anyone compared the mph on odo vs gps? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
has anyone compared the mph on odo vs gps? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
has anyone compared the mph on odo vs gps? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
has anyone compared the mph on odo vs gps? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
has anyone compared the mph on odo vs gps? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

has anyone compared the mph on odo vs gps?

Go down 
+7
wingnprayer
DaveR
MikeH
masscoot
Opalsboy
Cornishman
tankyuong
11 posters
AuthorMessage
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

has anyone compared the mph on odo vs gps? Empty
PostSubject: has anyone compared the mph on odo vs gps?   has anyone compared the mph on odo vs gps? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 12:39 am

I wondered what the difference in speed between the two, I will do that tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Cornishman
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Cornishman

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2009-04-04

PostSubject: Re: has anyone compared the mph on odo vs gps?   has anyone compared the mph on odo vs gps? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 3:14 am

There's about 10% difference in my case. An indicated 70MPH on the GPS and the scooter reads about 64 MPH
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: has anyone compared the mph on odo vs gps?   has anyone compared the mph on odo vs gps? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 6:46 am

"There's about 10% difference in my case. An indicated 70MPH on the GPS and the scooter reads about 64 MPH"

I think this statement is reversed. Usually the actual speed is less than the speed indicated on the bike's speedometor.
Back to top Go down
Cornishman
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Cornishman

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2009-04-04

PostSubject: Re: has anyone compared the mph on odo vs gps?   has anyone compared the mph on odo vs gps? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 7:03 am

Yes you're absolutely right, what a plonker I am. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: has anyone compared the mph on odo vs gps?   has anyone compared the mph on odo vs gps? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 8:01 am

My GPS shows 4 mph over speedometer of scoot.
I am going to do a test today to test the odometer reading.
I will be back.
Gary
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: has anyone compared the mph on odo vs gps?   has anyone compared the mph on odo vs gps? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 8:49 am

My speedo reads 3-4 mph faster than the GPS (50 indicated, 46 (gps actual). Garmin SP2610
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: has anyone compared the mph on odo vs gps?   has anyone compared the mph on odo vs gps? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 1:52 pm

ok today I noticed 3-4 mph difference when going slow speeds around 20 to 50mph but any higher the difference is 5 to 6.
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: has anyone compared the mph on odo vs gps?   has anyone compared the mph on odo vs gps? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 3:42 pm

I just finished a fairly long circular trip ( approximately >142 mi) to test something else. You can check out the comparing odometer to gps thread on this forum for specifics. I tried to verify exact differences, but could only get approximates. I found that for speeds up to 20 mph there was no visible difference. At 25 - 30 the difference was about 1 mph. At 35-40 the difference was about 2 mph. At 45 - 50 the difference was 3 mph. At 55 - 60 the difference was 4 mph. I did not look at faster speeds, but it appears to me that we can interpolate a curve about 1 mph increase for every 10 mph of the odometer.
This is just for my scoot. I am sure there will be different values for each scoot.
My Ford truck is consistently 5 MPH fast almost at any speed on the GPS.

Gary
Back to top Go down
MikeH
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MikeH

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2009-05-02

PostSubject: Re: has anyone compared the mph on odo vs gps?   has anyone compared the mph on odo vs gps? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 12:04 am

Opalsboy wrote:
I found that for speeds up to 20 mph there was no visible difference. At 25 - 30 the difference was about 1 mph. At 35-40 the difference was about 2 mph. At 45 - 50 the difference was 3 mph. At 55 - 60 the difference was 4 mph. I did not look at faster speeds, but it appears to me that we can interpolate a curve about 1 mph increase for every 10 mph of the odometer.
Gary

Gary,
My experience is essentially the same. I did test mine up to about 85 mph and your theory holds - about 1 mph increase for every 10 mph on the speedo. At 65 speedo I was 60 on the GPS, at 75 speedo the GPS says 69. AT 85 speedo, the GPS indicates 78.

One nice side benefit of the darkside tire is that the speedo is accurate up to about 65 mph. Over 65 the speedo is about 1 mph faster than the GPS.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: has anyone compared the mph on odo vs gps?   has anyone compared the mph on odo vs gps? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 1:28 am

Not on GPS, but I've checked against mile markers and those roadside radar-speed things. The speedometer is about 5 mph fast at an indicated 70, and the odometer is equally screwed up.

My Toyota Tundra has the only accurate speedometer I've ever seen. With new tires it is absolutely dead nuts on. Less than 1/10 of a mile off during a 500 mile trip. I don't think even the GPS is that accurate.
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: has anyone compared the mph on odo vs gps?   has anyone compared the mph on odo vs gps? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 2:19 pm

Most cycles speedometers read a little faster than you are actually going. Some are worse than others. You will hardly ever find one that is right on...My Silverwing is a 2005 and it graduates with speed but at 69 indicated on my speedometer, the GPS is showing 65 mph. Don't get alarmed because they are all that way.
Back to top Go down
wingnprayer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
wingnprayer

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2009-06-27

PostSubject: Re: has anyone compared the mph on odo vs gps?   has anyone compared the mph on odo vs gps? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 3:22 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speedometer

See 'error'
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: has anyone compared the mph on odo vs gps?   has anyone compared the mph on odo vs gps? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 11:26 pm

There are devices to help you fix that, but they usually cost about $100 plus installation. Not worth it, especially if you have a GPS.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: has anyone compared the mph on odo vs gps?   has anyone compared the mph on odo vs gps? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 2:07 am

I get the same as Gary (Opalsboy) on my gps. So if you want to go 65 mph (actual) then you can go 70 mph on your speedo. When I go 100 indicated I'm doing 93 on my gps.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
AlanRogers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
AlanRogers

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2009-08-10

PostSubject: Re: has anyone compared the mph on odo vs gps?   has anyone compared the mph on odo vs gps? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 4:40 am

Don't forget that tyre pressures will have an impact. If you're running low or high compared to the recommended for your set-up, that'll affect your reading.

In the UK, it's rumoured that the Police allow a 10% margin before 'talking' to you about your speed. I'd trust GPS over mechanical speedo any time, but it's useful to know how much the speedo is out by, if only for the sake of your licence!
Back to top Go down
http://www.dreamgenius.net
Freedomjerr
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2009-06-19

PostSubject: Re: has anyone compared the mph on odo vs gps?   has anyone compared the mph on odo vs gps? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 7:12 am

Tested my bike's speedometer. When the speedometer is reading 110 kph the GPS was reading 102 kph. 2 friends were with me at the time. One on a Suzuki Strom. His read 103 on GPS versus 110 on Speedometer. The other bike, a Kawasaki Concours, read GPS of 105 against 110 on the speedometer.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: has anyone compared the mph on odo vs gps?   has anyone compared the mph on odo vs gps? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 7:41 am

I haven't measured on my Swing yet, but the variable in the car is about 8 mph. The GPS always shows a lower speed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: has anyone compared the mph on odo vs gps?   has anyone compared the mph on odo vs gps? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

has anyone compared the mph on odo vs gps?
Page 1 of 1