Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
new Honda x- adv thing I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
new Honda x- adv thing I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
new Honda x- adv thing I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
new Honda x- adv thing I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
new Honda x- adv thing I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
new Honda x- adv thing I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
new Honda x- adv thing I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
new Honda x- adv thing I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
new Honda x- adv thing I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
new Honda x- adv thing I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

new Honda x- adv thing

Go down 
+2
Kenjj50
steve_h80
6 posters
AuthorMessage
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

new Honda x- adv thing Empty
PostSubject: new Honda x- adv thing   new Honda x- adv thing I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2016 3:17 pm

Well what do you all think of it?
It looks interesting but what is it?
I wouldn't call it a scooter, neither would I say it's a bike... bit of a ba****d mix of the two, which might be a good thing.
It's an interesting toy... but I can't afford any more toys.
Still I might look out for a test ride if the chance comes up.
Back to top Go down
Kenjj50
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2015-09-28

PostSubject: Re: new Honda x- adv thing   new Honda x- adv thing I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2016 5:09 pm

I've seen some videos and stills, but both offer limited detail. I gather it will not be offered in the US for 2017. I couldn't find any pricing, but I would guess it would be at least $8,500 US dollars. That would make it price comparable to the CTX700 DCT or the NC700X DCT. For those of us on this side of the pond, it's another Honda anomaly like the NM4 and the Integra.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: new Honda x- adv thing   new Honda x- adv thing I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2016 7:41 pm

A link would help.
Back to top Go down
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2015-04-09

PostSubject: Re: new Honda x- adv thing   new Honda x- adv thing I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2016 3:59 am

my take on this new Honda adventure scooter is that it is doomed before it really hits the market.
( http://auto.ndtv.com/news/eicma-2016-honda-showcases-the-x-adv-1622934 )
[ and they have already warned it will not be for sale in Australia ]

A sports scooter with 745cc and a miserly 54.5hp?  ( Fifteen years after the SW600 had 50hp?)  And looking at it, what really makes this a scooter?
I can't see many of the few enough riders who buy a maxi scooter going for this sort of concept. If you want a sporty bike with auto transmission, there are quite a few motor bikes out there which will fit the bill. And there are scooters like the T-Max 530 and the Aprilia Mana 650 which do the same, and do not sell in large numbers. Would you go touring on this? Fact is that the vast majority of bike riders are not interested in large scooters for the same irrational reasons that made the HD a runaway success.
I would bet that these will not last long before they will be withdrawn due to lack of interest, like so many other models that would have deserved to stay.

[Edited by MikeO to make the link work]
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: new Honda x- adv thing   new Honda x- adv thing I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2016 5:42 am

gremlin wrote:
my take on this new Honda adventure scooter is that it is doomed before it really hits the market.
( http://auto.ndtv.com/news/eicma-2016-honda-showcases-the-x-adv-1622934)
[ and they have already warned it will not be for sale in Australia ]

A sports scooter with 745cc and a miserly 54.5hp? And looking at it, what really makes this a scooter?
I can't see many of the few enough riders who buy a maxi scooter going for this sort of concept. If you want a sporty bike with auto transmission, there are quite a few motor bikes out there which will fit the bill. And there are scooters like the T-Max 530 and the Aprilia Mana 650 which do the same, and do not sell in large numbers. Fact is that the vast majority of bike riders are not interested in large scooters for the same irrational reasons that made the HD a runaway success.
I would bet that these will not last long before they will be withdrawn due to lack of interest, like so many other models that would have deserved to stay.  

If the Honda X-DV is on display at Motorcycle Live Show at the NEC later this month, I'll go and have a look. My impression is it's just a tarted up Integra pretending it's an adventure bike. It's another option for Auto only licence holders who can now pretend they're adventure riders too.

As for the X-ADV's miserly 54.5 hp from 745cc, the Aprilia Mana 650 you mentioned is in fact an 850 semi-auto motorcycle not a scooter, and it produced 55 bhp from 839cc. Plus the modern Honda engines with DCT are far more fuel efficient.

The T-Max 530 sells in huge numbers in mainland Europe, I bought a French scooter mag in Montpelier a few weeks ago that lists the Top 20 Maxiscooters for 5 months of 2016, and the T-Max 530 was Number 1 with 1863 sold. The Silver Wing SW-T 600 was way done in 16th place with 77 sold.

There's also a updated Suzuki Burgman for 2017, it doesn't look radically different, and the very useful underseat storage of 62 litres has now shrunk to 42 litres. Get the Burgman Grin!  Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2015-04-09

PostSubject: Re: new Honda x- adv thing   new Honda x- adv thing I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2016 5:55 am

Humble apologies, I did refer to the Aprilia Mana by mistake, but meant the Aprilia SRV scooter, which produces some 76.4hp. This still also leaves the BMW scooters and the Burgman 650, each of which will outperform this sports scooter.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: new Honda x- adv thing   new Honda x- adv thing I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2016 7:42 am

I've seen pictures only but.......chain final drive? How about buffet free air management so open face helmet can be enjoyed? That engine fine with me---nut and screw valve adjustment, nice.

Weight? Plenty of power, after all sold as scooter. Price?
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: new Honda x- adv thing   new Honda x- adv thing I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2016 7:44 am

I forgot---centerstand??
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: new Honda x- adv thing   new Honda x- adv thing I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2016 9:02 am

All these questions about the X-ADV which hasn't been released yet, but EICMA 2016 in Milan starts tomorrow and there'll be clips on YouTube probably the same day.

The weight last time I looked was about 250 kg, roughly the same as the Silver Wing. If I remember correctly it is chain drive, just like the Integra. Then if the X-ADV has off road pretensions, you don't want a complicated, slow, tedious job to remove a rear wheel. Seat height is 3" taller than the Silver Wing at 31".

I doubt very much if 'buffet free air management' has ever been a priority for ADV riders where they're supposed to be up on the pegs riding along wearing a peaked Moto X style helmet. In fact the first photos of the X-DV had a set of fold out foot pegs supposedly for that purpose, an eagle eyed Muppet noted they're not on the recently released press photos.

Usually preview photos of new bikes and maxi scooters have the bikes standing upright without a stand, a centre stand might even be visible on the few action photos available, it makes perfect sense to fit one, it also makes financial sense to have one in their X-DV accessories list if they don't.

As for price for the X-ADV, that's yet to be announced, for we Brits the £ has dropped in value a lot since Brexit, and now the $ has for you since The Donald was elected today.

Want a nice, light, up to date motorcycle for next year.? Suzuki have brought out the 250cc V-Strom for 2017.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: new Honda x- adv thing   new Honda x- adv thing I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2016 2:24 pm

As someone said it's just an nc750 / interga / etc in a different dress.
I expect they will sell a few to the trendy city types in the UK & USA, but the sales might go ballistic in Europe because they like all things scooter.
Regardless it's good to see Honda making best use of the engine / chassis platform.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: new Honda x- adv thing   new Honda x- adv thing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

new Honda x- adv thing
Page 1 of 1