Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
An alternative to the Givi Airflow? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
An alternative to the Givi Airflow? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
An alternative to the Givi Airflow? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
An alternative to the Givi Airflow? I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
An alternative to the Givi Airflow? I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
An alternative to the Givi Airflow? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
An alternative to the Givi Airflow? I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
An alternative to the Givi Airflow? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
An alternative to the Givi Airflow? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
An alternative to the Givi Airflow? I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

An alternative to the Givi Airflow?

Go down 
+4
Meldrew
steve_h80
exavid
Flyingpanman
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2016-06-03

An alternative to the Givi Airflow? Empty
PostSubject: An alternative to the Givi Airflow?   An alternative to the Givi Airflow? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2016 5:20 pm

I was going to buy a Givi Airflow two-piece screen for my S-Wing. I'm 6' 3" and the wind blast from the OEM screen was directly into my visor... mmm, delicious greenfly .

Looking around eBay, I saw the MRA deflector and some others that were similar or didn't look as effective. Then I came across one I'd never seen before and was intrigued. The brand name on it is "DARKOJAK".

The reason being, I have a Kawasaki KLV1000 (same as Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom) and it has a "Madstad" screen adjuster which is a manual device/bracket that gives various up/down positions and varying degrees of rake. For my bike, it's the best of the lot and other owners agree.

So here is this wind deflector that has similar brackets that give adjustable up/down and varying angle of rake (although that adjustment is only a few degrees but quite sufficient).

link to screen deflector

I decided to buy one and try it as it's a clamp on device and could be used on other screens.

The cost was £55.00 and delivery was signed for after 2 days.

I've ridden an S-Wing with an Airflow 2 piece screen on a decent test ride. I even tried repositioning it and was impressed. However, especially at the price, I think the deflector is just as effective and I'm sticking with that for now.

There was one problem. When I first rode with it everything was fine. Later, I reviewed my video of the ride. Light around the cut edge of the screen was so prominent and distracting on the video, I couldn't believe I didn't notice it when actually riding! Easily fixed the problem by using a black permanent marker on the rough edge. It now looks like the original screen material. check out my pictures from video stills.
Attachments
An alternative to the Givi Airflow? AttachmentDeflector 0.jpg
Distracting edge light.
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(30 Kb) Downloaded 55 times
An alternative to the Givi Airflow? AttachmentDeflector 1.jpg
Cured with permanent marker rubbed on edge.
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(24 Kb) Downloaded 44 times
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: An alternative to the Givi Airflow?   An alternative to the Givi Airflow? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2016 11:25 pm

The only consideration I'd have would be how solid the windshield would be at highway speed. The OEM screen isn't all that stiff to start with. The GIVI adjustable I put on my SW was solid and didn't flex even at speed a bit above 100mph. (measured by GPS, not the overly optimistic speedo)
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: An alternative to the Givi Airflow?   An alternative to the Givi Airflow? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2016 1:46 am

What and miss out on all those highly nutricious greenfly?
Well don't come complaining your hungry mid ride...
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

PostSubject: Re: An alternative to the Givi Airflow?   An alternative to the Givi Airflow? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2016 6:28 am

exavid wrote:
The only consideration I'd have would be how solid the windshield would be at highway speed. The OEM screen isn't all that stiff to start with. The GIVI adjustable I put on my SW was solid and didn't flex even at speed a bit above 100mph. (measured by GPS, not the overly optimistic speedo)

Understandable, and I considered this myself. The original does flex quite a bit and more so with this new deflector fitted.

I reviewed my helmet cam videos. On test rides with a Givi airflow and the new deflector, the lengthy OEM screen shows more flexing at speed - and around town. I decided to cross my fingers and basically ignore it... but to inspect frequently!

OTOH, stiff and inflexible can lead to failure. I read on another (something to do with Puppets?) forum of one who's Givi base screen cracked when he rode over a severe pot-hole. No reply from Givi afaik.

"4,000 holes in Blackburn, Lancashire." is a line from a Beatles song. Well, I was there a coupla days ago, and now there must be 8,000 but the screen and deflector survived cheers
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

PostSubject: Re: An alternative to the Givi Airflow?   An alternative to the Givi Airflow? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2016 7:56 am

steve_h80 wrote:
What and miss out on all those highly nutricious greenfly?
Well don't come complaining your hungry mid ride...

I wont miss out... I have a large extra scoop under the fairing with a tube leading to a mini blender in the left glove box. After a couple of hours, I press a button and - hey presto - my five-flies a day smoothie.

A connoisseur will appreciate the tasty variety of species blends in various counties at different times of the year.

Hey listen, I'm a UK pensioner and can't afford all these burger and bacon butty stops!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: An alternative to the Givi Airflow?   An alternative to the Givi Airflow? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2016 8:13 am

Flyingpanman wrote:
Hey listen, I'm a UK pensioner and can't afford all these burger and bacon butty stops!

What about the free medical prescriptions and the NoW bus pass you qualified for at 60?   Smile
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

PostSubject: Re: An alternative to the Givi Airflow?   An alternative to the Givi Airflow? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2016 8:29 am

I've got two bikes so I wont be using my buss pass for a while yet. Would you?

I need the prescriptions due to the high cholesterol and junk food I ate on past rideouts. My five-flies a day green(fly) diet is a natural source of low-fat protein.

The State pension is still a joke and I want more Evil or Very Mad  Those of you in employment, WORK HARDER to pay my pension and fuel my bike...

...please Smile
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: An alternative to the Givi Airflow?   An alternative to the Givi Airflow? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2016 9:16 am

Flyingpanman wrote:
I've got two bikes so I wont be using my buss pass for a while yet. Would you?

I use mine quite a bit since qualifying for one at 60, it's useful. When I lived in Cumbria before retirement I used it for hospital appointments after I had a stroke and wasn't allowed to drive/ride for a couple of months. Over here in York I'll use it to get into the city centre, the occasional day trip to Leeds, or on London Transport buses to save money on my Oyster Card.

In fact I sold my car last year as I wasn't using it enough, instead I use a big heavy Dutch push bike with a 50 litre plastic crate on the front carrier and a 25 litre Givi cycle top box on the rear.

Since I'm on daily medication for life after having a stroke, free prescriptions work for me.
Back to top Go down
Davefirestorm
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Davefirestorm

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2016-05-29

PostSubject: Re: An alternative to the Givi Airflow?   An alternative to the Givi Airflow? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2016 11:47 am

Free bus pass at 60? Surely you're mistaken as women retire later the goal post has been moved,I have to wait till I'm 65 in couple years time,plus side is I'll get the "super" pension lol
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: An alternative to the Givi Airflow?   An alternative to the Givi Airflow? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2016 12:20 pm

Yes, free bus pass at 60, then they started messing about with the qualifying age and raising it. As for this "super" pension, or any State pension don't assume you'll automatically receive the maximum amount because it's likely you won't.
Back to top Go down
Sidewinder Pilot
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Sidewinder Pilot

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2015-05-21

PostSubject: Re: An alternative to the Givi Airflow?   An alternative to the Givi Airflow? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2016 5:35 pm

I've been considering one of the deflectors too, I switched back to the OEM screen and while I could now see over the top, I had loud helmet buffeting that I didn't have with the tall screen.
Interestingly, I did notice an improvement in handling in curves at 60+mph after the change.
I suspect that a deflector that is relatively short and correctly angled might redirect the airflow enough to smooth out the turbulence without shaking the screen.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: An alternative to the Givi Airflow?   An alternative to the Givi Airflow? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2016 10:34 pm

Surprisingly enough there ARE options other than the Givi adjustable! You have found one! Nothing against the Givi except the COST. I went with a 5+ Cee Bailey for a bit over 100 bucks USD. Works for me. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: An alternative to the Givi Airflow?   An alternative to the Givi Airflow? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2016 11:07 pm

[quote="Meldrew"

In fact I sold my car last year as I wasn't using it enough, instead I use a big heavy Dutch push bike with a 50 litre plastic crate on the front carrier and a 25 litre Givi cycle top box on the rear.

[/quote]

Meldrew, I 'd like to see a picture of your Dutch push bike with the front and rear GIVI top box. Please post a pic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: An alternative to the Givi Airflow?   An alternative to the Givi Airflow? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

An alternative to the Givi Airflow?
Page 1 of 1