Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Shock adjustment I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
Shock adjustment I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Shock adjustment I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Shock adjustment I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
Shock adjustment I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Shock adjustment I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Shock adjustment I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Shock adjustment I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Shock adjustment I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Shock adjustment I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Shock adjustment

Go down 
+2
tankyuong
Opalsboy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Shock adjustment Empty
PostSubject: Shock adjustment   Shock adjustment I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 12:12 pm

I just changed the final drive oil on my 03 and in the process, saw that my shocks were set on different settings. Since I am getting ready for a long trip this coming week, I thought, this is the time for making this adjustment. The right shock was set on "1". I adjusted it to "5". By hand by the way. I noticed that there was a small tab of some kind that falls into the slots as adjustment is made. No problem on that side. Going to the left side, I noticed that the shock was set somewhere between "1" and "5". No tab visible in a slot. I attempted to turn the shock and BOING!!!! The shock spring extended full length and I can't figure how to fix this. Any suggestions? I am leaving in a few minutes to a funeral of my best friends dad, so I am going to be out a while. There is a cycle shop in town. They might be able to fix it. But if it is something I can do myself, I am game. Please make any suggestion you have. Thanks, Gary
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Shock adjustment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shock adjustment   Shock adjustment I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 12:53 pm

As a followup question... I just checked with the cycle shop here and they told me that it would be two weeks before they would have time to get it in the shop. I need to know from some of you experts out there. Is it dangerous or can I do more damage to the scoot by driving it with a bad shock. I believe the shock has probably been bad for a long while, I just hadn't noticed it. I never ride on any really rough roads around here. The roads we are going to use to get to Pikes Peak are all good roads. (1,100 mi each way) Should not have any ROUGH sections to worry about bouncing. BUT, I need to hear something from you.
Gary
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Shock adjustment Empty
PostSubject: Shock adjustment Pics   Shock adjustment I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 8:23 pm

These are some pics of the shocks. First is a shot of both. You can see the difference in the two. Then there are a few close ups for viewing. If you understand the mechanics of the shocks, maybe you can advise me as to any damage I can do by driving with the bad shock. Nothing seems loose or in danger of falling off.

Shock adjustment 100_0115 View of both

Shock adjustment 100_0116 Left (Bad one)

Shock adjustment 100_0119 Close up of Left

Shock adjustment 100_0120 Right Shock (Good one)
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

Shock adjustment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shock adjustment   Shock adjustment I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 9:09 pm

It should be fine until you get it in IMO. You probably unscrewed the adjustment too far, but I would put the other setting on #1 to relieve the pressure on the good shock.
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

Shock adjustment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shock adjustment   Shock adjustment I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 9:31 pm

Gary,
If you are planning to ride two-up I would not attempt the ride to Colorado before it is fixed. It will put an inordinate load on the "broken" side, possibly cause some sort of wear on the swing arm(s).

I can tell you that the roads from Arkansas to Pike's Peak are not as smooth as you might hope they will be.

This is just my opinion, however.

Regards,
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Shock adjustment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shock adjustment   Shock adjustment I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 11:20 pm

Thanks for the suggestions... It looks like I am going to get it fixed on route. I will adjust the right shock back to 1 and hit the road early Friday. Will be away from the forum for about a week. Will take pictures for posting when I get back.

One thing I have noticed with all the posting of pictures of the different riders' bikes is that we live on a beautiful planet. Our country is surely blessed with varieties of scenic sites. Other countries have wet my desire to see more outside the US as well. What better way to see those sites than on a Silverwing.
See yall later.
Gary
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Shock adjustment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shock adjustment   Shock adjustment I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 11:39 pm

Looks to me that the collar on the left shock just got unscrewed. Normally they have a lock tab so you can't fully unwind the collar but somehow that one got unscrewed all the way. If you had a couple clamps you might be able to compress the spring and screw the collar back on. It's possible the collar has stripped and won't screw back on but maybe you can fix it.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Shock adjustment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shock adjustment   Shock adjustment I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 2:43 pm

Ride safe Opalsboy, hope you have an uneventful journey.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Shock adjustment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shock adjustment   Shock adjustment I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 6:26 pm

After all these fine suggestions and reconsidering the cost of replacing the wife... I have now decided to trailer the scoot to Tulsa and let my friend Dennis help me in getting the shock repaired if I have just unscrewed it too far or replaced if the shock is 10-7. Will use the scoot for the rest of the ride and return. Have been working on getting the scoot tied down for traveling. Not fun...
see yall in a few days.
Thanks again for your advice.

Gary
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Shock adjustment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shock adjustment   Shock adjustment I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 11:37 pm

Opalsboy wrote:
I have now decided to trailer the scoot to Tulsa and let my friend Dennis help me in getting the shock repaired if I have just unscrewed it too far or replaced if the shock is 10-7. Will use the scoot for the rest of the ride and return. Have been working on getting the scoot tied down for traveling. Not fun...

The is a good and safe idea.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Shock adjustment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shock adjustment   Shock adjustment I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shock adjustment
Page 1 of 1