Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Sinko De Mayo
Kappa vs Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 3:33 pm

» May 2024 forum picture
Kappa vs Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 10:44 am

» checking the oil
Kappa vs Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Kappa vs Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Kappa vs Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Kappa vs Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Kappa vs Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Kappa vs Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Kappa vs Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Kappa vs Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Kappa vs Givi Windshield

Go down 
+13
HORNBLOWER
hankster
Gustafa
Riggers
gremlin
GHM-PM
Tone
Lazyfox
"Hi Yo"
hotwings
Meldrew
Greysilver
new7man
17 posters
AuthorMessage
new7man
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2015-08-05

Kappa vs Givi Windshield Empty
PostSubject: Kappa vs Givi Windshield   Kappa vs Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2015 1:03 pm

I was looking to purchase the Givi af214 but found that Kappa makes the same windshield kaf214. My understanding has been that Givi and Kappa are pretty much the same company. I ordered a mounting for a givi trunk from Kappa and it saved me mega bucks and the fit was perfect. So I'm thinking that these two windshields are the same as well, but the Kappa cost way way less. Does anyone have experience with this before I purchase?
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Kappa vs Givi Windshield   Kappa vs Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2015 1:51 pm

Im suspicious. Perhaps Kappa is the altruistic side of Givi and you will save a bundle and be completely happy but...... maybe it is a pure knock off and a cheap version of a fine product. I know this, in the big world you get what you pay for. Cheers, good luck.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Kappa vs Givi Windshield   Kappa vs Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2015 2:39 pm

I'm not suspicious, the daughter of the Givi founder owns Kappa. They're basically the same products with the more well known Givi going for the premium end the market.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Kappa vs Givi Windshield   Kappa vs Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2015 2:49 pm

Tell me now!!!! My Givi AF214 is in the mail. Oh well, its only money Sad
Back to top Go down
new7man
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2015-08-05

PostSubject: Re: Kappa vs Givi Windshield   Kappa vs Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2015 7:46 pm

Thanks Meldrew for confirming for me I really appreciate it now I am order with confidence
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Kappa vs Givi Windshield 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Kappa vs Givi Windshield   Kappa vs Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2015 8:53 pm

new7man wrote:
Thanks Meldrew for confirming for me I really appreciate it now I am order with confidence

interest Your report on this should be interesting.
Back to top Go down
Lazyfox
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2015-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Kappa vs Givi Windshield   Kappa vs Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2015 12:54 am

I have both (although on two bikes) and they are the same product. Only the logo is different (Givi is nicer) .
This may not be true for other products as Kappa brand is used to sell cheaper accessories.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Kappa vs Givi Windshield   Kappa vs Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2015 4:47 am

Yep the Kappa airflow windscreen is around a $100 cheaper than Givi. Wish I had seen that a week ago! Only thing is the Kappa ships from Italy while the Givi ships from Canada to me.
Back to top Go down
Tone
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tone

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Kappa vs Givi Windshield   Kappa vs Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2015 9:30 am

For those in the UK - Kappa
AIRSTREAM
KAF214 on e-bay from Italy at £88-51 plus £15.03 postage!!
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2561
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Kappa vs Givi Windshield   Kappa vs Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2015 11:03 am

I bought Kappa crash bars for my KLR650 after determining that they were identical to Givi and MUCH cheaper.
Back to top Go down
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2015-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Kappa vs Givi Windshield   Kappa vs Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2015 7:11 pm

When I contacted an Italian internet dealer he told me that the Givi screen was a better product. I suspect it is the profit margin on the Givi screen that is better!  

Either way you lose your Honda badge on the original screen; unless you replace it with an after market one. I think it's only fair to the Harley riders that they can see what is about to overtake them tongue
Attachments
Kappa vs Givi Windshield AttachmentGivi.jpg
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(235 Kb) Downloaded 50 times
Kappa vs Givi Windshield Attachmentbackend.jpg
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(276 Kb) Downloaded 44 times
Back to top Go down
Riggers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Registration date : 2015-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Kappa vs Givi Windshield   Kappa vs Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2016 2:59 pm

Not sure of anyone is still listening to this thread but if they are I can confirm that the Kappa screen is IDENTICAL to the Givi counterpart. I fitted a Kappa in the summer and didn't like the small Kappa sticker on the screen so I carefully peeled it off. Underneath it said "Givi" !!!

Added to this, the instructions (if this what you call the useless pictures that were in the box) also refer only to Givi.

So to sum up :- If it looks like a Givi, works like a Givi, and says Givi on it, IT IS A GIVI.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Kappa vs Givi Windshield 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Kappa vs Givi Windshield   Kappa vs Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2016 3:56 pm

Does the added weight of the Kappa affect performance?

I would think that extra money in your pocket would be heavy.

And what about all the time you spend looking for new things to buy with that extra money.
Back to top Go down
Gustafa
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Gustafa

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2015-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Kappa vs Givi Windshield   Kappa vs Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2016 4:45 pm

The weight difference does not affect performance. The adjustability for the weather, wind flow, helmet, etc.

As for the extra money, whats that? LOL
Back to top Go down
hankster
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2015-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Kappa vs Givi Windshield   Kappa vs Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2016 4:47 pm

I just installed one a month ago. Same as the Givi.

https://www.silverwing600.com/t8834-kappa-kaf214-windshield-install

I see the Givi branded Airflow on eBay for $168 including shpping from Italy. http://www.ebay.com/itm/AF214-GIVI-WIND-SCREEN-HONDA-SILVER-WING-600-2001-2009-WINDSHIELD-/252253809667?hash=item3abb7fac03:g:HaYAAOSwl9BWI0b~&vxp=mtr
Back to top Go down
HORNBLOWER
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2013-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Kappa vs Givi Windshield   Kappa vs Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2016 1:43 am

I've bought Givi and Kappa and most of the time they are identical, the only exception I found was the Wing Rack I had on my Blackbird. Both worked fine but the Kappa was made from a very strong plastic and Givi was Aluminium. I swapped to the Givi because I wanted to powder coat it.
I just found and bought a Givi airflow screen on eBay from a place in Italy for £78 plus £18 postage, which seemed a good deal. The seller took a while to post it, it then got lost by DHL in Italy, so the seller sent another one which I got yesterday. The instructions are awfull can anyone give me any tips please!
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3794
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Kappa vs Givi Windshield   Kappa vs Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2016 4:14 am

I think the trick with Givi instructions is not to try to follow them as soon as they come out of the box.

Study them until an overall picture of what has to be done forms in the mind. Then they become clear.

Worth a try, anyway. Wink
Back to top Go down
hankster
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2015-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Kappa vs Givi Windshield   Kappa vs Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2016 7:27 am

Yes, the instructions are bad. For me it wasn't bad because the holes were already drilled for that mounting bolt. It must have had an Airflow installed before. Read some of the installation posts here, a lot of guys did not even install that mounting screw and haven't had any problems.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3794
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Kappa vs Givi Windshield   Kappa vs Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2016 11:34 am

Rumour has it (I think Meldrew posted it) that the fitting kit is also for the tall Givi screen, for which it is necessary.

Finding the place to make the extra hole in the plastic on the Silverwing and then making it is very easy but, it seems, unnecessary for the Airflow screen.
Back to top Go down
Riggers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Kappa vs Givi Windshield   Kappa vs Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2016 6:01 pm

HORNBLOWER wrote:
I've bought Givi and Kappa and most of the time they are identical, the only exception I found was the Wing Rack I had on my Blackbird. Both worked fine but the Kappa was made from a very strong plastic and Givi was Aluminium. I swapped to the Givi because I wanted to powder coat it.
I just found and bought a Givi airflow screen on eBay from a place in Italy for £78 plus £18 postage, which seemed a good deal. The seller took a while to post it, it then got lost by DHL in Italy, so the seller sent another one which I got yesterday. The instructions are awfull can anyone give me any tips please!

You'll find that it's very easy to fit Hornblower. Be careful removing the front fairing panel at it's easy to damage it. Gently pull it downwards and it should release OK.

After that it's just a case of off with the old and on with the new.

I fitted the extra brackets (a lot of guys on here don't bother) as I think they add a bit of extra strength to the mounting, and Givi must think so too. You'll need to gently drill two holes (one each side) in the plastic to allow the new brackets to be fitted, but this too is very easy. Again though, go carefully as you're only drilling through a wafer thin bit of plastic - you could almost do it by just holding and turning the drill bit in your fingers.

Simply go slowly and carefully and you'll be fine. Good Luck!

Riggers.
Back to top Go down
HORNBLOWER
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2013-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Kappa vs Givi Windshield   Kappa vs Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2016 2:27 am

Thanks for your replies re fitting the screen, I went out to my garage last night to fit it. The front faring panel has been vibrating a lot recently and as I removed I saw why. Some heavy handed past owner has snapped the upper mounting screws points and the bits in the middle off and then covered everything in glue half an inch thick which has then come undone, so I spent the evening cutting it away back to the bare plastic! On the plus side, it has evidently had a Givi screen on before because the metal plates were still in place with the extra hole drilled and a bolt in it!!
So a new question, what is the best glue to use? It looks like Araldite has been used before but it didn't really stick very well and most peeled off with my thumbnail.
Back to top Go down
ericclapham
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ericclapham

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2014-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Kappa vs Givi Windshield   Kappa vs Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2016 4:05 am

By your description, it sounds like they might have used 5min. Araldite which never seems to set rock hard, as the 24hr.does. Personally, I prefer JB Weld for panel repairs such as you describe. However, with any of the 2-part epoxies, you must remember to "key" the surfaces to be joined ( ie score/sand/scrape.) as the join is a still only a mechanical one and needs something to grab onto. A quick squirt with brake cleaner gets rid of any grease etc. Some of the tupperware fixings are so flimsy, it's no wonder they break so easily!
Back to top Go down
Riggers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Kappa vs Givi Windshield   Kappa vs Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2016 7:38 am

HORNBLOWER wrote:
Thanks for your replies re fitting the screen, I went out to my garage last night to fit it. The front faring panel has been vibrating a lot recently and as I removed I saw why. Some heavy handed past owner has snapped the upper mounting screws points and the bits in the middle off and then covered everything in glue half an inch thick which has then come undone, so I spent the evening cutting it away  back to the bare plastic! On the plus side, it has evidently had a Givi screen on before because the metal plates were still in place with the extra hole drilled and a bolt in it!!
So a new question, what is the best glue to use? It looks like Araldite has been used before but it didn't really stick very well and most peeled off with my thumbnail.

A friend of mine swears by Q Bond. It works in a different way to just glues. It actually reinforces the joint by adding a plastic layer around the joint. It's a bit difficult to describe in a few words but put as simply as I can you apply some powder to the parts being bonded and then apply a liquid which melts the powder AND the parts into a new joint. A bit like welding does to metal.
My friend repaired a broken lug from the side panel of my Yamaha TDM900 and it's now stronger than new. It's a bit expensive but very effective.

Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2016-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Kappa vs Givi Windshield   Kappa vs Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2016 6:02 pm

[quote="Riggers
A friend of mine swears by Q Bond. It works in a different way to just glues. It actually reinforces the joint by adding a plastic layer around the joint. It's a bit difficult to describe in a few words but put as simply as I can you apply some powder to the parts being bonded and then apply a liquid which melts the powder AND the parts into a new joint. A bit like welding does to metal.
My friend repaired a broken lug from the side panel of my Yamaha TDM900 and it's now stronger than new. It's a bit expensive but very effective.
[/quote]

Hi, new here but beware of Q-Bond it is simply a cyanoacrylate and that releases its grip over time where there is moisture. The powder trick can be done cheaply using ordinary household baking soda. However, I don't know what powder Q-Bond use.

This is what to do. Apply a reputable super glue to the parts to join. It doesn't matter if you apply a drop too much because if you hold the parts together and sprinkle some baking soda over the glue, it will set like rock in a few seconds as it soaks up the excess super glue. This technique is good for building up fillets to strengthen certain joints. If you must use this to repair your bike, then paint over the glue with a couple of coats and that might seal the moisture out. I used this method to glue some alloy tabs under my ST1100 headlight panel. The glue to plastic joints failed after 12 months of UK weather!

Most motorcycle plastics are best joined with glue that plumbers use to join plastic piping. The same glue is very effective on sheets of ABS plastic such as found in double glazing and plastic doors. The glue is a solvent that actually melts the surface layer and "welds" the pieces together as it sets - like the polystyrene glue you used to get in Airfix plastic model kits.

I repaired some cracks in my ST1100 fairing by cutting some ABS sheet from an old double-glazed and insulated door. I cut a backing patch to size and shape then applied some glue to both pieces - not too much or it melts right through - and kept pressure on it for several hours until set hard. Of course, the bare plastic surfaces must be free of grease, paint, dust, etc. but it remains fixed to this day (4yrs.)
Back to top Go down
Davefirestorm
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Davefirestorm

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2016-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Kappa vs Givi Windshield   Kappa vs Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2016 3:03 am

Tone wrote:
AIRSTREAM

Thanks for that Tone,changing screen on my SW asap.also after a topcase,will a Kappa fit the Givi monokey carrier?
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2016-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Kappa vs Givi Windshield   Kappa vs Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2016 7:16 pm

Davefirestorm wrote:
Tone wrote:
AIRSTREAM

Thanks for that Tone,changing screen on my SW asap.also after a topcase,will a Kappa fit the Givi monokey carrier?

I have two Kappa paniers that fit on my Givi monokey racks on my Kawasaki KLV1000.

I tried to find the Kappa version of the Givi Airflow AF214, but the ebay link must be quite old and I can't find anything cheaper than £109 for a Givi branded screen.
Back to top Go down
Davefirestorm
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Davefirestorm

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2016-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Kappa vs Givi Windshield   Kappa vs Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2016 2:01 am

Both Givi and Kappa are based in Daventry near where I live,2 different phone numbers but same office I think.Rang Givi number yesterday and the Airflow screen is in stock @£120+vat but I have to order/collect at dealer 1/2mile away they won't deal with members of public,will sort a screen out next week when back from oop north Yorkshire Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kappa vs Givi Windshield   Kappa vs Givi Windshield I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kappa vs Givi Windshield
Page 1 of 1