Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Left brake micro-switch
Givi screen I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Givi screen I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Givi screen I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 8:11 am

» Silverwing Brakes
Givi screen I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Yesterday at 6:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Givi screen I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
Givi screen I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Givi screen I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Givi screen I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Givi screen I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Givi screen I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Givi screen

Go down 
+10
Cosmic_Jumper
john grinsel
Old Limey
Greysilver
Pastor Ron
model28a
exavid
Meldrew
"Hi Yo"
Riggers
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Riggers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2015-08-18

Givi screen Empty
PostSubject: Givi screen   Givi screen I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2015 11:26 am

Hi guys,

Apart from my intro this is my first post.

I was wondering if anyone has bought and fitted one of the Givi screens which offer a bit more height and hand protection.

And it so what you think about it compared to the standard item.

I've only done around 400 miles on my Swing since buying last Saturday but my first thought are that a little bit more wind protection might work well.

I'm 5' 11" tall by the way.

Cheers all

Riggers.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Givi screen 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

Givi screen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi screen   Givi screen I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2015 11:31 am

:lol!: I just posted in your introduction as to the GIVI. It seems to be the screen of choice.

Also, there are pictorials available for replacing the windshield, and just about anything else you want to do.
Back to top Go down
Riggers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Givi screen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi screen   Givi screen I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2015 11:34 am

Yep just saw that Fella and thanks very much! I'm just being too hasty! Smile
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Givi screen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi screen   Givi screen I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2015 11:39 am

Hi Riggers,

I'm in York and I'll be using the P&O Hull to Rotterdam ferry next month, I've been using regularly it since it was plain old North Sea Ferries back in the Eighties, and I used to have to plod over the A66 from Cumbria.

If you go to Forum, then Accessories, you'll find more than enough topics about the Givi AF 214 Airflow screen and a very useful Pictorial about fitting one. It's probably the most popular mod for Silver Wing owners as the OE screen is rubbish.

Meldrew
Back to top Go down
Riggers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Givi screen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi screen   Givi screen I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2015 1:03 pm

Many thanks for the tip Meldrew. I gathered from the first reply that I'd been a bit hasty in posting - I should have had a poke around the site first.

Just up the road in York eh! Well it it's certainly a small world, I was there only yesterday as at moment I'm like a kid with a new toy and can't keep off the Swing!

I was on the North Sea Ferries only a couple of weeks ago on a trip to Flanders Fields and the Somme etc. I love starting a holiday aboard ship as it's such a perfect start and end to a holiday. If you've got a bit of time in hand and fancy a cuppa on your way then give me a shout - I'm on route to the ferry from York.

Best wishes - Riggers.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Givi screen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi screen   Givi screen I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2015 9:02 pm

Hello from Southern Oregon Riggers!
I've installed two Givi windshields on SWs. The Givi Airflow is good but the Givi adjustable is best.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

Givi screen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi screen   Givi screen I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2015 10:00 pm

Paul the Givi Airflow is the adjustable one. Wink
And you are right it is the best one out there. Cool
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2013-02-24

Givi screen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi screen   Givi screen I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2015 9:41 am

I have had the large GIVI and the Airflow....Airflow much better
Back to top Go down
Riggers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Givi screen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi screen   Givi screen I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2015 10:47 am

Many thanks for the replies guys. Much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Givi screen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi screen   Givi screen I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2015 6:36 pm

model28a wrote:
Paul the Givi Airflow is the adjustable one. Wink
And you are right it is the best one out there. Cool

You're right of course, the fixed Givi is the 214D and the Airflow adjustable is the AF214.

Anyway I've ridden with both and much prefer the AF214
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

Givi screen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi screen   Givi screen I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2015 2:16 pm

I am 5 '11". I just fitted the Givi Airflow and I love it. Wind noise is diminished and the buffet is non existent. I like mine and will recommend it enthusiastically. At 250 it is costly but it is a big improvement in ride quality. My only other change isto switch to BMW ero hand grips. I like these too. A plus.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Givi screen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi screen   Givi screen I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2015 5:24 pm

I'm 5' 11" too and I've had my Airflow fitted since Jan 2011. Wind noise is less than the useless OE screen and so is wind buffeting but it's not perfect. You've obviously got to play about with screen height to get it in the zone, sometimes it needs to be lowered in high or cross winds. I have optimum setting marks on mine and it also tells me if it's moved. I've also fitted a adjustable Wunderlich wind deflector to the top of my Airflow for even more fine tuning.

I've lost two top sections so I know how loud wind noise is even wearing custom fit ear plugs. With the screen and spoiler adjusted there's still enough noise to cause permanent hearing damage whatever helmet style I'm wearing and I'd never ride without ear plugs.

The Airflow side pods are pretty good at pushing rain away from your gloves once you get to a decent cruising speed, and I fitted a rain deflector to the centre of the lower section from a scrap piece of SAENG screen edging I had in the shed.
Back to top Go down
Riggers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Givi screen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi screen   Givi screen I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2015 4:13 am

Does anyone know the make and model of the screen fitted to the Silverwing Outfit at the top of each page? It doesn't look like a Givi to me.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

Givi screen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi screen   Givi screen I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2015 7:12 am

Riggers,the picture is in North America, I very much doubt you could buy anything similar in the UK. When I got my first Silver wing, I fitted the Givi ordinary screen. Iam also 5'11 and had to cut it down to see over it. If I had followed the advice on here first it would have saved me a lot o trouble, I now have the Givi  Airflow fitted it is the ideal screen for the bike no matter what your size, You can get one from EBay for about £150. Smile
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Givi screen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi screen   Givi screen I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2015 8:54 am

Clearview is screen.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Givi screen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi screen   Givi screen I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2015 10:31 am

Meldrew wrote:
I'm 5' 11" too and I've had my Airflow fitted since Jan 2011.<> I've lost two top sections<>
The Airflow side pods are pretty good at pushing rain away from your gloves once you get to a decent cruising speed, and I fitted a rain deflector to the centre of the lower section from a scrap piece of SAENG screen edging I had in the shed.

Meldrew, do you have any idea what caused the Givi top section to come off? Did you mount the screen using the Givi mount kit? I assume that after losing the first one that you double checked the tightness of the screen adjuster hardware. I'm just speculating here, but maybe it's possible that if the mount kit weren't used that the screen could experience torsional flexing and maybe cause the pinch bolts to loosen.

Also, are the Givi side pods you refer to something additional to be added like the Laminar Lip hand deflectors or are they the intregal part of the Givi screen bottom?

FWIW: The windscreen on the current forum photo (Silverwing w/sidecar) is a Clearview windscreen. It was the first upgrade I did to my '03 shortly after I purchased it --Givi hadn't brought their SW screen to the States yet. The Clearview is a great screen, but it's like trying to push a barn door thru the wind when compared to the OEM screen.

Airflow wise I hope that the Givi AF214 is an improvement over the  Clearview.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Givi screen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi screen   Givi screen I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2015 4:41 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Meldrew, do you have any idea what caused the Givi top section to come off? Did you mount the screen using the Givi mount kit? I assume that after losing the first one that you double checked the tightness of the screen adjuster hardware. I'm just speculating here, but maybe it's possible that if the mount kit weren't used that the screen could experience torsional flexing and maybe cause the pinch bolts to loosen.

Also, are the Givi side pods you refer to something additional to be added like the Laminar Lip hand deflectors or are they the intregal part of the Givi screen bottom?

I've no idea why I've had two top sections fly off at speed, the clamps were fully down on both occasions, and when it happened it was sudden and immediate... bang!... gone! I don't really think about it much nowadays either. The retainer mod I fitted was just a knee jerk reaction to losing another screen and getting a replacement fitted a week or so before a trip to Thuringia in Germany.

If by mount kit you mean the two metal brackets that you have to drill through the plastic to find the hidden nuts, yes I used them.

By side pods I should have said the sides of the lower screen section.

I'd hate to loose this top section because the Wunderlich wind deflector I've fitted to it now makes it nearly as expensive as a complete new Airflow to replace.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Givi screen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi screen   Givi screen I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2015 6:25 pm

You can adjust the upper windshield clamps. I kept mine tight enough that it took a pretty good effort to close them. Never lost the top part and I had that SW over 100mph more than once. It doesn't hurt to give the top of the windshield a pull upwards once in awhile to make sure the clamps still have a good grip.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Givi screen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi screen   Givi screen I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2015 11:54 pm

You think I don't know all this, I doubt if anyone on here was aware of Airflow top screens could detatch until I posted about it on here, first in 2011 and again in 2012. I went through all the possible fault scenarios and Q and A's after both incidents and as it happens I seem to be the only one on here and the Muppets forum that it's happened to.

My Airflow has been fine for the last three years, I've ridden high speed dual carriageway 'A' roads, motorways, and autobahns, in the dry and in heavy rain and had no problems. I've lowered the screen to compensate for the extra height of the wind deflector I fitted last year and that's it.

Last edited by Meldrew on Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

Givi screen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi screen   Givi screen I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2015 6:11 am

Just ordered the much celebrated Givi Airflow 214. Had the fixed Givi 214D that came with the bike. Was happy with the 214D but apparently I'll be happier with the airflow, maybe I will achieve the utopian moment that everyone seems to find after the first ride! Cost $297CDN delivered. It should be here next week. Unlike Meldrew, hopefully I will remember to tighten the clamps Razz .
Back to top Go down
Riggers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Givi screen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi screen   Givi screen I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2015 7:39 am

Hey hotwings - could you give me your thoughts on the 214D? That's the one I'm thinking of buying as I'm not sure I like the look of the Airflow.

Can you see over the top of the DT? and does it deflect the wind OK? Also what's it like at higher speeds - say 70 - 80mph?

Any other points you have would be a real help.

Best regards,

Riggers
Back to top Go down
vmaximus
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2011-04-15

Givi screen Empty
PostSubject: Givi Screen   Givi screen I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2015 9:07 am

After reading about Meldrew's incident with the top half of his Air Flow screen I put a small amount of silicon on the bottom of the screen slider, this should stop the top half  unexpectedly coming off but is easy enough to dismantle manually if you need to, when refitting just adjust to the right height ,make sure the clamps are tight then re apply a small amount of silicon. I have not had any problem with my screen but if it happened before it could happen again, just my precaution.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

Givi screen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi screen   Givi screen I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2015 9:17 am

Riggers- the 214D was already installed on the bike when i got it. The seller gave me the extra oem screen but obviously its just a dust collector. So i have zero experience with the oem screen. As stated in my post above im happy with the 214D but everyone sings praises unto the Airflow 214 saying its much better than the 214D so thought i'd give it a try. I dont think it would be possible to see over the top of the 214D while riding unless you're freakishly tall. From the keyhole to the top of the 214D it is a hair under 26". The downside of looking thru a windscreen is during rain your vision will obviously be impaired making it a safety issue. I avoid rain riding anyways but did get caught a couple times. Speed doesnt affect the 214D- my fastest speed was 165kph.
Back to top Go down
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2009-07-18

Givi screen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi screen   Givi screen I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2015 3:03 pm

Big fan of the AirFlow...
Back to top Go down
gilesmdavis
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2014-09-12

Givi screen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi screen   Givi screen I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2015 5:47 pm

I fitted the 214 a couple of months ago (without the fixing kit) it's better than standard but not life-changing.

It's been rock-solid without the fixing kit.
Hand deflectors are good.
Buffeting seems worse - it's tall for me and I'm 5'11"
In heavy rain spray gets everywhere - working up the inside of the screen and off the top onto your visor

The Airflow looks like the MRA Vario I had on my Deauville and that was really good.
Go for the Airflow is my advice.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Givi screen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi screen   Givi screen I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2015 7:30 pm

Which 214?
Back to top Go down
gilesmdavis
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2014-09-12

Givi screen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi screen   Givi screen I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2015 2:03 am

Ah sorry, was the 214DT
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Givi screen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi screen   Givi screen I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Givi screen
Page 1 of 1