Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Welcome to the home for Honda SilverWing and everyone interested. This is a place to ask questions, share, and learn about the SilverWing and its dedicated riders. Please post an introduction when you join as a sign of Courtesy.

HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Sad Day today
by bikehiker Today at 09:24

» Recommended Tires
by lloyd193 Today at 09:03

» Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter
by The Bern Today at 06:10

» Wanted: Oil drain plug
by cliffyk Yesterday at 17:43

» Hard to find a career
by "Hi Yo" Yesterday at 16:58

» A hillbilly goes hunting
by "Hi Yo" Yesterday at 16:51

» Silver Wing Colors
by Mike from NS Yesterday at 07:28

» Oil Leak at Oil Filter?
by oldwingguy Sun 10 Dec 2017, 16:06

» very low mileage engine and trans
by siataukreg Tue 05 Dec 2017, 18:04

» Masks on SW 2001 600cc
by siataukreg Tue 05 Dec 2017, 17:55

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Share | 

Petrified Forest National Park/ Painted Desert, AZ

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
GHM-PM
Site Admin

Number of posts : 1228
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Petrified Forest National Park/ Painted Desert, AZ   Fri 08 May 2015, 22:16

Well my short 4 day trip is history!  I put 625 miles on the Silver Wing with 130 of them on the Freeway. I visited Petrified Forest, Painted Desert, both National Parks and both near Holbrook, AZ.  Also visited Homolovi Ruins State Park and Little Painted Desert County Park both these last near Winslow, AZ. The weather did not cooperate very well.  I saw rain, sleet, hail and WIND...oh the wind.  My theory is if you don't want to be caught in inclement weather...stick to a cage!  My SWing ran flawlessly as usual, fuel mileage ranged from 52.5 MPG to 57.8 MPG.  Average close to 55 MPG.  And here we go:

Here I am starting out, the poncho did not last long in spite of the rain.  Was afraid it would blow over my head so it had to go away.

Near Clint's Well a VERY small post office and gas station, I topped up here.  This is about 45 min. north of Camp Verde.

As I approached Winslow on Hwy 87 this is how the sky looked (not good).  Fortunately the road veered slightly to the right and I missed the worst of this.

Cool motel in Holbrook and yes you can actually stay in a Wigwam!  I did not however...

Tuesday I did Petrified Forest.  Next few shots are from there:

Could not resist that last one...Dry Wash?  I don't think so!!!

Next two are from Painted Desert National Park (the two parks run together):

In Holbrook is a really cool museum the Navajo County Courthouse dating from back in the 1880's!  Worth a trip and the cost is good too (FREE).

After two nights exploring the area around Holbrook, AZ I moved to Winslow for the last two parks:

Next couple of pictures are taken at the above County Park, sadly the park is in bad shape but the views are breathtaking!!!!

Note the roadrunner above checking me out!

Next couple of shots are from Homolovi Ruins State Park.  Ancient Hopi ruins.  This park is in MUCH better shape than the last one:

After this I headed into Winslow and spent the night and got up the next morning and headed home.  Temperature leaving was 42 degrees F.  Note I had only summer gear with me (it was 80 degrees the previous week), yeow!  

In spite of all this the trip was great!  The Silver Wing does such a good job at touring one-up!!!  Would leave again if I could.  Hope you enjoy this brief tour!  And perhaps this will inspire some would-be tourers to get out and RIDE!!!
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2104
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Petrified Forest National Park/ Painted Desert, AZ   Fri 08 May 2015, 22:48

applause  Glenn thank you for bringing us along through pictures. I know
pictures usually don't do justice compared to seeing things in person
but pictures are the next best thing.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 712
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Petrified Forest National Park/ Painted Desert, AZ   Sat 09 May 2015, 03:12

Glenn thank you for the beautiful photos! Especially the panorama ones. Looks like it was a great trip. Too bad the weather didn't cooperate a bit better tho.

Thanks Again!
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 3028
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Petrified Forest National Park/ Painted Desert, AZ   Sat 09 May 2015, 05:49

cheers I'm not jealous. I am not jealous! Oh heck, YES I AM!! Thanks for sharing. cheers
Back to top Go down
DanB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2013-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Petrified Forest National Park/ Painted Desert, AZ   Sat 09 May 2015, 11:15

Glenn, man I gotta ride out sometime and ride with you. Incredible ride area and was there about 45 years ago. Probably looks the same though. I looked at your Walmart poncho and thought before I read your comment, that ain't gonna work. I've got a set of Frogg Toggs that work great. We've got rain in the forecast nearly every day now in Texas. It's the craziest weather I've seen since moving to East Texas 30 years ago. I don't even worry anymore if it's going to rain from day to day because it probably will. And, if I want to ride, I don't worry about the rain, otherwise the scooter will just sit. So, I opt to ride, rain or no rain as it's all fun to me.
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 448
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Petrified Forest National Park/ Painted Desert, AZ   Wed 20 May 2015, 20:25

Hi Glenn, Arizona IS a beautiful state. Thank you for the pictures.
Back to top Go down

Petrified Forest National Park/ Painted Desert, AZ
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1