Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» YSS rear shocks for sale
Having SW Commercially Painted I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
Having SW Commercially Painted I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Having SW Commercially Painted I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Having SW Commercially Painted I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Having SW Commercially Painted I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Having SW Commercially Painted I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Having SW Commercially Painted I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Having SW Commercially Painted I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Having SW Commercially Painted I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Having SW Commercially Painted I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Having SW Commercially Painted

Go down 
+2
hotwings
radio1960
6 posters
AuthorMessage
radio1960
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2015-03-14

Having SW Commercially Painted Empty
PostSubject: Having SW Commercially Painted   Having SW Commercially Painted I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2015 4:59 pm

The SW I'm looking at has several dings, scrapes, and scratches on it. I've read the posts where some of you have painted your SW yourselves. I'm wondering, if  any one has ever had their SW painted by a body shop? If so did you leave the panels on or take off? Approximate cost? I know it will vary depending on locations. Just trying to get an idea.

Thanks

Radio
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Having SW Commercially Painted   Having SW Commercially Painted I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2015 5:27 pm

Im not sure how the paint would adhere to the plastic in the long term. A friend of mine had his shiny new atv painted a custom colour professionally. Looked gorgeous but wasnt long before it started to peel. Your painter would probably like the panels to be removed to make it easier for him (and cheaper for you) but it will be difficult for you to reinstall everything without scratching the new paint and breaking tabs. If it was mine I would sell the bike as it is and buy another and start taking better care of it! Just my opinion.......
Back to top Go down
voce
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
voce

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2015-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Having SW Commercially Painted   Having SW Commercially Painted I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2015 7:24 pm

I had mine professionally repainted and it looks amazing. No issues with pealing paint (they are painted originally from the factory so it's not like the paint is just going to jump off. Anything's possible I guess if you don't know what you're doing). I didn't break tabs or scratch the paint re-assembling either.

I couldn't find any body shop that would touch it unless I brought them the pieces to paint. They didn't want to be liable for any damage. Taking it apart is really the only way to do it right and it's not that difficult if you're patient.

I found these videos online that helped me understand what to do the first time I took mine apart -

https://www.youtube.com/user/HondaSilverWing400/videos

I actually love my bike more now that I know how to work on it. It will probably cost between $400-$600 to get it painted.

To each their own, but if you're up for it...go for it.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Having SW Commercially Painted   Having SW Commercially Painted I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2015 7:50 pm

Just food for thought. If not too many of the panels are scratched up it can sometimes be just as cheap to buy replacement panels.
Back to top Go down
hawkeye3guns
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2014-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Having SW Commercially Painted   Having SW Commercially Painted I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2015 2:51 am

Hi I had my sons 2002 Swing proffessnably sprayed by a local body shop. they would only do it if all panels was removed, No problem just take your time and label all the screws for each panel.
They sanded back and started from scratch 2 coats of primer, 2 coats of Jaguar Silver (nearest match to Honda force silver) and then a clear coat over the lot before finally colour buffed.
Total cost was £500 plus VAT and took 5 days to due. We recently did the coast to coast charity bike ride and when it was next to a 2013 Swing, It made the factory finish look dull.
Back to top Go down
cerve137
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Having SW Commercially Painted   Having SW Commercially Painted I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2015 1:29 pm

I had mine repainted in an Acura NSX grand prix white. It was done at a local body shop. I disassembled everything myself. Any tabs that I've repaired with "Gorilla Glue" have never given me any grief after the repair, fyi. Still looks excellent lots of miles later with no bad spots. The guy gave me an excellent deal at $350. I may have my 02 maroon painted also.
Back to top Go down
radio1960
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2015-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Having SW Commercially Painted   Having SW Commercially Painted I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2015 3:22 pm

Thanks for all the replys guys. Sounds like it would make a good winter project.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Having SW Commercially Painted   Having SW Commercially Painted I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Having SW Commercially Painted
Page 1 of 1