Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» I said Farewell...
05 honda silverwing 3k miles. changed oil. backfires now I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
05 honda silverwing 3k miles. changed oil. backfires now I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
05 honda silverwing 3k miles. changed oil. backfires now I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
05 honda silverwing 3k miles. changed oil. backfires now I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
05 honda silverwing 3k miles. changed oil. backfires now I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
05 honda silverwing 3k miles. changed oil. backfires now I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
05 honda silverwing 3k miles. changed oil. backfires now I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
05 honda silverwing 3k miles. changed oil. backfires now I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
05 honda silverwing 3k miles. changed oil. backfires now I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
05 honda silverwing 3k miles. changed oil. backfires now I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

05 honda silverwing 3k miles. changed oil. backfires now

Go down 
+5
tinman
"Hi Yo"
GHM-PM
Meldrew
rrivera4_56@yahoo.com
9 posters
AuthorMessage
rrivera4_56@yahoo.com
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2015-03-05

05 honda silverwing 3k miles. changed oil. backfires now Empty
PostSubject: 05 honda silverwing 3k miles. changed oil. backfires now   05 honda silverwing 3k miles. changed oil. backfires now I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2015 5:39 am

hello. my name is rich, i live in tempe az. i have a 2005 honda silverwing. tried changing the oil today. now it backfires. i went thru the book instructions. i did not find a filler spring or anything like that . i just unscrewed the oil filter and only a spit of oil came out. maybe less that a quarter cup. book says it uses at least 2 quarts. i put one quart in and it shows full. i started up the bike and it now pops when reving it up and riding it. i need help. i have heard that sometime there will be nothing to take out other that the oil filter. nothing looke out of the ordinary when i screwed the filter off other that there being only a little bit of oil.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: 05 honda silverwing 3k miles. changed oil. backfires now   05 honda silverwing 3k miles. changed oil. backfires now I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2015 6:32 am

Hello, my name is Meldrew, how much oil came out of the sump when you removed the big drain plug underneath that you need a 24 mm socket to remove?
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: 05 honda silverwing 3k miles. changed oil. backfires now   05 honda silverwing 3k miles. changed oil. backfires now I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2015 8:01 am

Yes, what Meldrew said! Plus, removing oil dipstick will help oil drain better and faster.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
05 honda silverwing 3k miles. changed oil. backfires now 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: 05 honda silverwing 3k miles. changed oil. backfires now   05 honda silverwing 3k miles. changed oil. backfires now I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2015 8:38 am

Did you use the "pictorials" maintenance instructions on the main forum page to help with your oil change? There is a lot of information on this and other maintenance issues.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: 05 honda silverwing 3k miles. changed oil. backfires now   05 honda silverwing 3k miles. changed oil. backfires now I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2015 9:25 am

You can't download any of the Maintenance pictorials to view until you've joined the forum. This was young rich's first post and he'd already done the oil change using 'a book’, probably the Owner's Manual.

Referring to mine, it tells you to remove the oil drain plug, it mentions the spring, oil strainer screen, and O- ring will come out when the drain plug is removed (and nothing at all about the 2 quarts of hot oil that will spill out over your hopefully rubber gloved hand and into the drain pan), before removing the oil filter to drain out any remaining oil.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: 05 honda silverwing 3k miles. changed oil. backfires now   05 honda silverwing 3k miles. changed oil. backfires now I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2015 10:10 am

If your Swing does a popping sound when decelerating at 30  mph down to 5 mph then  stop popping,that is cause by back pressure when the driven clutch is still engage slowing you down .this is normal for the swing when not applying the brakes.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: 05 honda silverwing 3k miles. changed oil. backfires now   05 honda silverwing 3k miles. changed oil. backfires now I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2015 10:25 am

It could be simply that another litre of oil added to what's aready in there is causing the backfiring.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: 05 honda silverwing 3k miles. changed oil. backfires now   05 honda silverwing 3k miles. changed oil. backfires now I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2015 12:46 pm

Usually a backfire is caused by an air leak in the exhaust system, creating a too-lean condition in the muffler, like from a missing gasket or an ill-fitting, non-OEM muffler.

However, assuming that you have the OEM muffler, and that the header pipe-to-muffler gasket is intact, then I'm going to suggest that your overfilled oil is entering the exhaust via the cylinder head vent and that the PAIR valve is injecting that air/oil mixture into the muffler catalyic where it explodes.

Check out the Emmission Controls illustrations on page 1-30 & 1-31 of the Factory Service Manual. You do have a FSM, right? No?...they are inexpensive enough on eBay.

Tim
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: 05 honda silverwing 3k miles. changed oil. backfires now   05 honda silverwing 3k miles. changed oil. backfires now I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2015 2:52 pm

welcome
Rich welcome to the best Silverwing forum on the web. How long have you had your Silverwing? How many miles are on your Silverwing? A little more information may help get better answers. Below are some links that may help you in the long run.
It would be nice if you went Here and introduced yourself.  Then you'd get a proper welcome from the forum members.
Here are some links(3 below in blue)that will help you learn a lot about your Silverwing. If you can't find what you need in the links below the search on this forum works good, and if you still need help just ask and someone will do what they can to answer your questions.

Maintenance, Tips and Hints
Maintenance "Pictorials"
Accessories-Modifications
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
05 honda silverwing 3k miles. changed oil. backfires now 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: 05 honda silverwing 3k miles. changed oil. backfires now   05 honda silverwing 3k miles. changed oil. backfires now I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2015 5:30 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:

Check out the Emmission Controls illustrations on page 1-30 & 1-31 of the Factory Service Manual. You do have a FSM, right? No?...they are inexpensive enough on eBay.

Tim
He could check out the for sale section here. I know one was recently offered.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: 05 honda silverwing 3k miles. changed oil. backfires now   05 honda silverwing 3k miles. changed oil. backfires now I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2015 11:54 pm

My bet is with Meldrew, if you didn't get the correct amount of oil out of the engine prior to refilling it there's little likelihood that overfilling isn't the problem. I'd suggest draining the engine into a clean container, this time after removing the oil screen and checking how much oil comes out. Make sure you have the engine fully drained and then put the plug back in and refill the engine with the correct amount of oil.
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: 05 honda silverwing 3k miles. changed oil. backfires now   05 honda silverwing 3k miles. changed oil. backfires now I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2015 12:57 pm

"rrivera"...  Did you pull the oil drain plug out of the bottom of the engine to drain the oil???  Or did you just pull only the filter???  If you just pulled the filter only, then you never got the engine oil fully drained.  Subsequently, dumping in a required refill amount has your engine seriously overfilled; follow "exavid's" instructions and start over.

I've never over filled an engine with oil before.  Now I've learned what can happen if that occurs.  Never to old to learn, as they say...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 05 honda silverwing 3k miles. changed oil. backfires now   05 honda silverwing 3k miles. changed oil. backfires now I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

05 honda silverwing 3k miles. changed oil. backfires now
Page 1 of 1