Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
oil drain plug socket from the old days.  I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
oil drain plug socket from the old days.  I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
oil drain plug socket from the old days.  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
oil drain plug socket from the old days.  I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
oil drain plug socket from the old days.  I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
oil drain plug socket from the old days.  I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
oil drain plug socket from the old days.  I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
oil drain plug socket from the old days.  I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
oil drain plug socket from the old days.  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
oil drain plug socket from the old days.  I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

oil drain plug socket from the old days.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ernie m
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ernie m

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2014-08-18

oil drain plug socket from the old days.  Empty
PostSubject: oil drain plug socket from the old days.    oil drain plug socket from the old days.  I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2014 8:11 pm

I happened to think of this today and thought I would share. Back in the 70s I had a Honda 305 scrambler and remembered people used to have trouble getting the valve cover caps off without rounding the 24mm aluminum over. Same ones used for our oil drain. If you use a good 6 point 15/16 socket that's about .007 smaller it fits a bit tighter. Also if you take 2 or 3 layers of aluminum foil, place it flat on top of the socket and gently tap the socket on the cap, you get a nice tight fit that will not round over the cap. Just my little hint for today. The foil trick also works good for the 24mm socket. Ernie
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: oil drain plug socket from the old days.    oil drain plug socket from the old days.  I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2014 11:56 pm

Ernie,

That sounds like a good idea. I know I rounded off a tappit once, after 7 years and I had to bring it in to the Honda shop to remove it. It seems Honda should've made it a bit deeper of a tappit so the socket couldn't slip off so easily. I know that first oil change I did after the 600 miles that it was really tough to get off. Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: oil drain plug socket from the old days.    oil drain plug socket from the old days.  I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2014 12:46 am

I use a similar method to get nuts started in awkward spots. It won't work to protect aluminum plugs but keeps nuts in a wrench or socket. Just lay a couple layers of paper towel over you socket or box end wrench and then press the nut into it. The paper will make the nut snug in the tool so that it can be started on the bolt or stud. It's especially handy when starting a nut on a bolt or stud in a deep socket, it will stay in the socket and you can get a bit of pressure on it to start the nut.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: oil drain plug socket from the old days.    oil drain plug socket from the old days.  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

oil drain plug socket from the old days.
Page 1 of 1