Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Missing drain plug o-ring I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 8:05 pm

» What were they thinking?
Missing drain plug o-ring I_icon_minitimeby cotetoi Yesterday at 7:49 pm

» Earth cable stress
Missing drain plug o-ring I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 7:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
Missing drain plug o-ring I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 5:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
Missing drain plug o-ring I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:05 pm

» LED Headlights
Missing drain plug o-ring I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
Missing drain plug o-ring I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
Missing drain plug o-ring I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
Missing drain plug o-ring I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
Missing drain plug o-ring I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Missing drain plug o-ring

Go down 
+2
The Bern
dalehazelton
6 posters
AuthorMessage
dalehazelton
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
dalehazelton

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2015-08-18

Missing drain plug o-ring Empty
PostSubject: Missing drain plug o-ring   Missing drain plug o-ring I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 12:36 pm

Hello,

In the process of my first oil change on the Silverwing 600. New to me 2008 with 1,800 miles on it when I brought it home. The oil was low and it had a Hi-Flo brand fliter so I'm assuming the 600 mile service was done. Anyway, there is no o-ring in the drain plug (maybe why it was low - also the filter came off just without even putting the wrench on it!) and I can't find any specs for one here.

I have a large box of nitrile o-rings from Harbor Freight and one may work, but I can't tell from the diagram in the MOM if the o-ring goes OUTSIDE the threads on the plug or if it sits into the well in the plug.

I have also seen an Ebay oil change kit specifically for the SW with a crush washer but there doesn't appear to be one (maybe that's for the smaller Eurpopean SW's). What say ye?
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Missing drain plug o-ring   Missing drain plug o-ring I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 2:48 pm

Hi bud Smile

IIRC the "O" ring sits in the well in the plug flange.
Oil filter is normally, spin on until it touches & then a further 1/4 turn

EDIT

Drain plug torque 15 N:m / 11 lbf:ft / 1.5 kgf:m

Oil filter torque 26 N:m / 20 lbf:ft / 2.7 kgf:m
Back to top Go down
dalehazelton
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
dalehazelton

PostSubject: Re: Missing drain plug o-ring   Missing drain plug o-ring I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 4:54 pm

Thanks. I made the trip to Honda and got the last o-ring they had. Whoever did first oil change was just sloppy.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Missing drain plug o-ring   Missing drain plug o-ring I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 7:31 pm

If the oil filter is put on properly you will be able to remove it by hand. I never use a filter wrench to put a filter on and only use one to take off a filter that someone else put on too tight.
Back to top Go down
dalehazelton
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
dalehazelton

PostSubject: Re: Missing drain plug o-ring   Missing drain plug o-ring I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 9:58 pm

I put the filter on basically hand tight, no wrench. This one came off WAY easier than any I've removed. I'm not a torque wrench guy and would probably get flack for it but I never over tighten things. If it doesn't weep or leak it's tight. I've had too many broken lug nut studs and such on my vehicles to overtighten stuff. I've never had anything loosen or fall off. So far I'm doing okay, knock on wood.
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: Missing drain plug o-ring    Missing drain plug o-ring I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 10:06 pm

If I may suggest.While you do not need one now is the time to purchase a cup style oil filter wrench for your oil filter on the S/W.
There are all kinds of tools you can use but sooner or later you will wish you had one.Also I know this is not that common but I always fill the filter twice with oil before installing it. The filter will absorb the oil and yes you might loose a few drops of oil(the filter is horizontal) but you will get almost instant oil pressure. Also follow the owners manual for checking oil lever. Howard
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Missing drain plug o-ring   Missing drain plug o-ring I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 10:17 pm

Since you already changed the oil I guess you discovered the oil screen and spring. I was changing the oil on a '04 SW a friend just purchased last year and found the oil screen and spring missing.
Back to top Go down
dalehazelton
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
dalehazelton

PostSubject: Re: Missing drain plug o-ring   Missing drain plug o-ring I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2015 7:43 am

I bought a new cap wrench and it turned out I had two that size already in the toolbox.

Spring and screen were there. Much simpler oil change than my VFR.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Missing drain plug o-ring   Missing drain plug o-ring I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2015 12:02 am

Simpler than changing oil on my 650GT it has two drains one for the engine and one for the sump. BMW did at least install the filter in a vertical position so that's a bit less messy.
Back to top Go down
HORNBLOWER
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2013-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Missing drain plug o-ring   Missing drain plug o-ring I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2015 3:23 am

model28a wrote:
If the oil filter is put on properly you will be able to remove it by hand. I never use a filter wrench to put a filter on and only use one to take off a filter that someone else put on too tight.

I totally agree with you and have done it by hand for a lifetime but when I changed my oil yesterday I decided to do both the drain plug and filter using my torque wrench.
I was amazed at just how much more I had to turn the filter to get to the right torque setting and was expecting something to go snap at any moment!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Missing drain plug o-ring   Missing drain plug o-ring I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Missing drain plug o-ring
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Maintenance, Tips and Hints-
Jump to: