Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Good morning from Maine ! with a start-up question I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:12 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Good morning from Maine ! with a start-up question I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Drive belt prices
Good morning from Maine ! with a start-up question I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 8:28 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Good morning from Maine ! with a start-up question I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
Good morning from Maine ! with a start-up question I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Good morning from Maine ! with a start-up question I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Good morning from Maine ! with a start-up question I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Good morning from Maine ! with a start-up question I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Good morning from Maine ! with a start-up question I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Good morning from Maine ! with a start-up question I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Good morning from Maine ! with a start-up question

Go down 
+2
hotwings
ernie m
6 posters
AuthorMessage
ernie m
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ernie m

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2014-08-18

Good morning from Maine ! with a start-up question Empty
PostSubject: Good morning from Maine ! with a start-up question   Good morning from Maine ! with a start-up question I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2014 6:20 am

Hello. I don't want to waste anyone's time as I do not have a silverwing yet. I have an 04 Honda aero 750 that I recently traded for my Burgman 400 because I thought I would like to go back a different type bike. I'm retired and have been riding for 50 years this year. Anyway after making the trade I realized I had made a mistake. In trying to sell it on Craigs list I have received a trade offer of a 2002 Silverwing with 21k miles. Owner says that last year the bike went in for service at the dealers and had new tires, variator, belt and fluids change. the bikes looks decent and has the usual wear that one would expect to see on a bike of this age. I know that nada value is off a bit but I would really like to get back on a large scooter. I generally ride about 10k miles each year. Not being familiar with these bikes, would a silverwing with this mileage work for me from the info I have given ? I had a Burgman 650 but was not comfortable with the transmission problems some complain about on the Burgman forums. I do all my own service on my bikes. Any advise on things to look out for on an 02 silverwing? thanks in advance to all!!
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Good morning from Maine ! with a start-up question   Good morning from Maine ! with a start-up question I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2014 7:41 am

The 02 silverwing is pretty much the same as a brand new silverwing. These are bullet proof bikes. 21 thousand miles is not too bad for an 02. I would think it would have lots of life in it yet! However, if the bike has been stored outside for any period of time the sun can reak havoc on a bike i.e. seat, plastics,gauges,tires etc etc. (as you would know with 50 yrs in the saddle). As far as value, i would think an 02 in really really good shape is worth $2000-$2500 tops!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Good morning from Maine ! with a start-up question   Good morning from Maine ! with a start-up question I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2014 8:09 am

I'm quite surprised by the number of posts from new members buying 10 and 12 year old Silver Wings. They may all look alike apart from colour matched glovebox covers on the early ones and black glovebox pockets on the later models but the early models were the thirsty ones. So they'll cost you more on fuel and have a reduced tank range. Maybe that doesn't matter so much in the US but it's been the main complaint about early Silver Wings in the UK and Europe since their launch. A lot of the early models are also non-ABS and some new owners aren't even aware there are ABS versions.
Back to top Go down
ernie m
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ernie m

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Good morning from Maine ! with a start-up question   Good morning from Maine ! with a start-up question I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2014 8:24 am

Thank you for the responses. Didn't realize there was a difference in fuel economy. To be honest gas mileage would not be a deal breaker for me but I understand there is a huge difference in gas prices. My main concern was the 21k miles. Looking through the forum , some have reported many miles on their bikes. My Honda Aero books for a few hundred more that this 02 but this time of year folks are starting to dump bikes on craigslist. Value on a bike seems to be what ever you can get for it not what KBB or Nada says. I'm hoping to seal this deal tomorrow morning unless you folks in the know tell me why I should not. Looking forward to becoming an active member here. Thanks, Ernie
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Good morning from Maine ! with a start-up question   Good morning from Maine ! with a start-up question I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2014 9:08 am

With that age bike and the mileage, you can expect the fuel pressure regulator to eventually fail. The symptoms are hard starting, stalling after initial startup, rich running, and when it gets really bad, fouled spark plugs and no start at all. The replacement is easy, the parts inexpensive. Do a search on here. It's certainly not a deal breaker. Just a heads up.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Good morning from Maine ! with a start-up question   Good morning from Maine ! with a start-up question I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2014 11:52 am

As long as it is in good shape it should last a long time. I would listen to the above comments and also, the 2002 had a front fender issue. There were reports, and I knew one guy this happened to where the screws holding the fender fell out and the bottom of the front fender then dug into the tire. When this happens it stops the front tire and the people all went over the handle bars. The corrected this in the later 2002 and after but you should check out what kind of screws are holding it on and change them or put lock-tite on the screws. I did a "Pictorial" on removing the front fender so you may want to review it. I had a 2007 SWing.

I personally would try to find a 2007 or newer SWing since you could get one for around $3,000-3,500. But the SWings last a long time if taken care of properly.
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Good morning from Maine ! with a start-up question   Good morning from Maine ! with a start-up question I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2014 12:40 pm

Yep - lot's of good comments above. I wouldn't worry too much about the miles as 21,000 miles is pretty low for a 2002. But there could be some maintenance issues as mentioned. Also as mentioned - the later model years do seem to get better fuel economy - perhaps due to the oxygen sensor that was added in 2008 or so. Based on the comments posted by others, it seems like the older ones average around 42 to 45 mpg and the newer ones in the high 40's to low 50's. But bear in mind a lot of it depends on how you ride. Have fun.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Good morning from Maine ! with a start-up question   Good morning from Maine ! with a start-up question I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2014 2:43 pm

I drive a 2002 that I bought in 2010 with 4k miles.

I haven't had any of the issues mentioned above. I had a new variator, clutch and belt put on at 15k miles and had to put on a new starter solenoid this spring when I stupidly tried to jump it.

Other than that it has been trouble free coming up on 35,000 miles. I avg 55mpg as tracked by fuelly for 1 year, maybe I drive it like a grandma? It doesn't seem like it.

Here are my complaints that have been remedied over time. Windshield too low - Laminar Lip ~$100. Mirrors too narrow - Mirror extenders ~$25. Butt rest too far forward - Butt rest to back rest conversion ~$75.

All said I have zero regrets. I'm still very happy with my purchase and I enjoy my commute a lot more on my swing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good morning from Maine ! with a start-up question   Good morning from Maine ! with a start-up question I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Good morning from Maine ! with a start-up question
Page 1 of 1