Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Sinko De Mayo
Need Belt Advice I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Need Belt Advice I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 am

» checking the oil
Need Belt Advice I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Need Belt Advice I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Need Belt Advice I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Need Belt Advice I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Need Belt Advice I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Need Belt Advice I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Need Belt Advice I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Need Belt Advice I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Need Belt Advice

Go down 
+3
"Hi Yo"
yammer
CnR
7 posters
AuthorMessage
CnR
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2014-06-27

Need Belt Advice Empty
PostSubject: Need Belt Advice   Need Belt Advice I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2014 12:49 pm

Lil bit bout my scoot.....

09 Swing (non ABS) w/ 12,800ish miles. Bought used from a local dealer 2 weeks ago w/ 12,200 miles. Dealer says they "serviced it" before they put it on the showroom floor, however when I asked them what all they did to service it, they didnt know???

So going from what they told me, I changed oil, final gear oil, and installed iridium NGK plugs. I decided to look at the belt today and heres what I seen;

Need Belt Advice 20140710

Need Belt Advice 20140711

Need Belt Advice 20140712

Now, I dont know exactly what to look for in a bely but to me it looks in pretty good shape. Very little black residue on casing. Whats your opinions? Does this look like the "original" belt, or was it replaced by the dealer? Ive put about 600 miles or so on the Swing since I bought it.

Thanks,
CnR
Back to top Go down
yammer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
yammer

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2013-05-04

Need Belt Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Belt Advice   Need Belt Advice I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2014 2:38 pm

I would think it's the original belt, they usually last more then their expiry period at 16,000 miles.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Need Belt Advice 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

Need Belt Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Belt Advice   Need Belt Advice I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2014 2:50 pm

I think if they replaced the belt, they would have ballyhooed it in their sales pitch! The service department will have a record if they ordered a new belt from the parts department. Did you check the air in the tires. That was probably part of their "Service Package".  Wink   I would ask if they will give me a new customer discount on an OEM belt and have it ready to change at 16,000 miles. Keep the one on your bike as a spare. It looks good, but it's 5 or 6 years old. Better safe than sorry, or walking. While waiting for 16,000 miles to roll around, you can study the pictorials to do your own change.
Back to top Go down
yammer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
yammer

Need Belt Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Belt Advice   Need Belt Advice I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2014 3:24 pm

Not to encourage anyone to do the same but my 2002 SW still has the original belt and approaching 15000 miles. Waiting for a new one from Partzilla. Having said that, I wouldn't risk going touring with it, I am only using it in my country, it's only 15 by 7 miles so I wouldn't have to walk for long to get home, as long as I don't have to push the scooter as well, it's such a heavy beast. Smile
Back to top Go down
sctr199
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
sctr199

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2013-07-29

Need Belt Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Belt Advice   Need Belt Advice I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2014 4:35 pm

When a dealer says they "serviced it" that means to me that they at best checked the fluid levels, wiped the dust off it and made sure it ran well enough to sell. Anything more would eat into their profit.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Need Belt Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Belt Advice   Need Belt Advice I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2014 11:42 pm

No one can tell if a belt has reached the end of its service life without using a caliper or vernier. The service width of the belt at its widest point is 27.0 mm. Anything less is worn out.
Back to top Go down
ScooterBJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2013-11-14

Need Belt Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Belt Advice   Need Belt Advice I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2014 8:35 am

yammer wrote:
...Having said that, I wouldn't risk going touring with it, I am only using it in my country, it's only 15 by 7 miles so I wouldn't have to walk for long to get home,.......

Malta 'eh. I assume they have ferry service over to Italy, but do you ever get over to the north coast of Africa to tour? Touring portions of the Med coast has always been of great interest to me.
Back to top Go down
yammer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
yammer

Need Belt Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Belt Advice   Need Belt Advice I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2014 12:37 pm

ScooterBJ wrote:
yammer wrote:
...Having said that, I wouldn't risk going touring with it, I am only using it in my country, it's only 15 by 7 miles so I wouldn't have to walk for long to get home,.......

Malta 'eh. I assume they have ferry service over to Italy, but do you ever get over to the north coast of Africa to tour? Touring portions of the Med coast has always been of great interest to me.

The bikers I know all tour towards Sicily/Italy and all the adjoining countries, I really don't know of anyone going the North Africa route, probably because there's a ferry that goes to Sicily on a weekly basis. One would probably have to go through Spain to get a ferry to cross over to Morocco.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Need Belt Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Belt Advice   Need Belt Advice I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2014 1:26 pm

yammer wrote:
The bikers I know all tour towards Sicily/Italy and all the adjoining countries, I really don't know of anyone going the North Africa route, probably because there's a ferry that goes to Sicily on a weekly basis. One would probably have to go through Spain to get a ferry to cross over to Morocco.

Oooo Yammer, careful how much info you feed BJ. Next thing you know he'll be badgering members here to sign on for his Rock'n Gibraltar Tour. Laughing
Back to top Go down
ScooterBJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2013-11-14

Need Belt Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Belt Advice   Need Belt Advice I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 2:09 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
yammer wrote:

Oooo Yammer, careful how much info you feed BJ. Next thing you know he'll be badgering members here to sign on for his Rock'n Gibraltar Tour. Laughing

Rock'n Gibraltar Tour. now that sounds like a tour I could get into...........
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Need Belt Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Belt Advice   Need Belt Advice I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need Belt Advice
Page 1 of 1