Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Sinko De Mayo
Brought home a SW today I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 3:33 pm

» May 2024 forum picture
Brought home a SW today I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 10:44 am

» checking the oil
Brought home a SW today I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Brought home a SW today I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Brought home a SW today I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Brought home a SW today I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Brought home a SW today I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Brought home a SW today I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Brought home a SW today I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Brought home a SW today I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Brought home a SW today

Go down 
+4
john grinsel
hotwings
JeffR_
LDB
8 posters
AuthorMessage
LDB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
LDB

Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2014-05-19

Brought home a SW today Empty
PostSubject: Brought home a SW today   Brought home a SW today I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2014 11:51 pm

My dealer has one less leftover 2012 SW now. Rumor has it they do still have one more in case anyone is looking. I rode home on the regular roads and frontage road with one short blip on the freeway to go up and over a major intersection to the next exit. I got up to an indicated 65 so probably around 60. It rode very well. It was a total of about 60 miles to get home. My initial observations are:

Minimal vibration in the grips and floorboards with major emphasis on the minimal.

Bars/grips are a little close to the rider.

Seat is a little low to the floorboards.

Seat latch is very finicky and doesn't like to lock back in place without major slamming when full of stuff, a helmet and a jacket and gloves.

Why no 4 way flashers?

Why no horn? It's got a birthday party noise maker but not a nearly adequate horn.

Plenty of pep and zip, with major emphasis on the plenty.

They put on some grip covers similar to grip puppies. They really improve the grip. I wish it were larger still but it's majorly improved.

I need to research Airhawk vs Airhawk 2 and get one. That will hopefully make the ride more comfortable and solve the low seat issue at the same time.

I saw photos or youtube video of someone's SW with a nice trunk with lots of extra lights, emphasis on lots. I want to do something similar for the extra space and the light to get the attention of everyone following. Along with that a modulator for the brake lights.

My line of sight is about 2 inches above the top of the stock shield. I'd like to have a taller and wider screen to reduce the noise and buffeting.

That's all I've got so far.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Brought home a SW today   Brought home a SW today I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 12:38 am

LDB,

Congrats on your new SWing. The seat latch can be a bit finicky at times but if you are having a hard time with it just push down on the very middle of the seat and it seems to 'un-latch' it. Just make sure you close your seat properly or you may run your battery down since the light will stay on.

I had grip puppies on mine too and really made it more comfortable. It seems stock Honda grips are pretty thin. I have had 4 screens and the best was the Givi Airflow so you may want to think about that screen one day.

Best of luck with your new SWing.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Brought home a SW today   Brought home a SW today I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 5:57 am

Technically an airhawk seat wont raise your riding position. To be properly inflated your "butt" should only be 1/8" above the seat. Thats what i've read anyways........! I dont own an airhawk- never could afford such luxury Wink. Congrats on the new ride.
Back to top Go down
LDB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
LDB

PostSubject: Re: Brought home a SW today   Brought home a SW today I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 6:05 am

That may be correct. I thought it was about a half inch, not much but a little help. Mainly I want the comfort. The seat as it is isn't that comfortable after an hour.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

PostSubject: Re: Brought home a SW today   Brought home a SW today I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 6:17 am

Type in "my monkey butt cure" in the search box. It should bring up my post on making the seat more comfortable. I use my iphone 99% of the time to log in here and it wont let me post a link to my post here for you!!
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Brought home a SW today   Brought home a SW today I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 6:55 am

Fun to get new bike, I am on second new SilverWing.

Seat is fine.....maybe you are out of shape---no underwear works in real hot weather. be an active part of the bike as you are riding/do not sit like you are on toliet

Windshield=bad, Givi adjustable works best------look over best....windshield you look thru will get you killed...think bugs/snow/sleet/fog/rain

Horn is fine---alert riding technique works better

4- way flashers---SilverWing is dated design..

Again, Givi, Box and rack work well----but weight/heavy and up high negative effect on handling, period....like arrow with rock tied on back.

Having purchased over 75 new bikes/scooter since 1955, suggest you put quick 5,000 miles on scooter before you spend/waste money on mods that may not be necessary. Mine is a lifetime of wasting money on stuff that doesn't work!

Buy shop manual=very handy

Build tool kit
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

PostSubject: Re: Brought home a SW today   Brought home a SW today I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 10:57 am

The seat, as with most motorcycles, is only comfortable for about an hour, period. Im not sure how to "actively" ride a motorcycle, maybe its every once in a while jump off and run beside, or maybe use legs to run with it while still in the saddle!!
 With a proper topbox you will not even know its there, will not affect handling unless its loaded with bricks!
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Brought home a SW today   Brought home a SW today I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 12:13 pm

john grinsel wrote:
---no underwear works in real hot weather.

I laugh every time I read some of John's recommendations.
Take them as they are, one man's opinion, certainly not 2 wheeled gospel.
Back to top Go down
LDB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
LDB

PostSubject: Re: Brought home a SW today   Brought home a SW today I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 1:40 pm

No clue how to do a photo but maybe this will work. Nope.

Last edited by LDB on Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Brought home a SW today 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Brought home a SW today   Brought home a SW today I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 3:29 pm

LDB wrote:
No clue how to do a photo but maybe this will work. Nope.
 Were you wearing underwear?   Laughing   Sorry, I couldn't resist. Seriously, look under "Tips on using this site" on the main forum page. There is a link for posting pictures and a pdf in the same post. Maybe this will help, but don't let it interfere with your riding. Pictures can wait. Go ride.    small moped     small moped     small moped
Back to top Go down
LDB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
LDB

PostSubject: Re: Brought home a SW today   Brought home a SW today I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 3:53 pm

Thanks but still no joy. I got it to work here though.

http://maxi-scoots.com/scoot/index.php?topic=6524.msg78267;topicseen#new
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Brought home a SW today   Brought home a SW today I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 4:15 pm

Suggest before going after me on no underwear-----do some riding get some experience, try it----it really works--

Don't know how to active ride bike?----reg motorcycle.....some weight on feet,knees on tank, feet pointing straight ahead, look where you want to go standing a little on pegs to let knees take some of the shock----scooter, SilverWing= no pegs but feet can be moved around, both bike and scooter push right=go right, etc----move around on seat, now and then.Be part of bike.

I kind of live by---every hour or 50 miles, stop walk around, look bike over, clear head, etc. This has worked for me for over 1.5 million miles. Seldom do I ride 100 miles in on setting, even if in hurry.

At 75, I ride 350-500 miles days with little discomfort or extreme tiredness at end. Biggest pain/discomfort my ears hurt a little from foam plugs at the 400 mile mark. Take a rest and ear canals ok and ride on.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Brought home a SW today   Brought home a SW today I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 5:06 pm

john grinsel wrote:
Suggest before going after me on no underwear-----do some riding get some experience, try it----it really works--

If it works for you, congratulations.
I would never try it, because to me it is disgusting.
If you are that sweaty, or chafed, or sore, I would say time to stop riding for the day.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

PostSubject: Re: Brought home a SW today   Brought home a SW today I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2014 4:53 am

John grinsel- your math is not adding up! You insinuate you ride 350-500 miles a day, so that equals 127 750 miles per year at only 350 miles per day! So that would give you 3 066 000 (yep thats millions) not the 200 000 stated in your signature!! At the 200 000 stated in your signature you would be averaging 22.83 miles per day- a feat easily accomplished by us mere mortals!
Back to top Go down
LDB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
LDB

PostSubject: Re: Brought home a SW today   Brought home a SW today I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2014 9:34 am

I don't see where it says 350-500 miles every day, just that he can ride that far comfortably with the proper setup. It also says 200k "rubber band scooter" miles but nothing about how many chain drive miles or shaft drive miles.
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2013-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Brought home a SW today   Brought home a SW today I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2014 4:53 pm

Stop picking scabs gentlemen, or I shall start poking the BAN key!

Back to top Go down
LDB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
LDB

PostSubject: Re: Brought home a SW today   Brought home a SW today I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2014 5:18 pm

I hope that isn't directed to me. I wasn't picking anything, just hopefully clarifying points I saw being made.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3794
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Brought home a SW today   Brought home a SW today I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2014 5:22 pm

Whether it was or whether it wasn't is irrelevant; a moderator has expressed concern over the way the thread is going and, as I've said before, if everyone feels it his right to have the last word, totally disregarding the fact that many of them are unacceptable in the circumstances, action will be taken.

Take it or leave it.
Back to top Go down
LDB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
LDB

PostSubject: Re: Brought home a SW today   Brought home a SW today I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2014 5:51 pm

I understand that and don't disagree. I was just trying to determine if it was directed to my totally innocent intended comments or elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Brought home a SW today   Brought home a SW today I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2014 7:54 pm

Clarify----I have ridden over 300,000 rubber band drive scooters---not computer geek don't know don't know how to change "200,000" total 2 wheel miles since 1955, over 1.5 million---Seldom do I drive cars. Lots of chain drive, but shaft on BMW's, Kawasaki Concours & Voyager, Honda NT700V, etc.
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2013-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Brought home a SW today   Brought home a SW today I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 2:05 am

LDB wrote:
I hope that isn't directed to me. I wasn't picking anything, just hopefully clarifying points I saw being made.

No, my comment was not specifically directed to you. It was made following objections from the membership to remarks that were felt to be deliberately inflammatory and which added nothing useful to the conversation.

An all too frequent occurrence, sadly.

I agreed with those observations.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brought home a SW today   Brought home a SW today I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brought home a SW today
Page 1 of 1