Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
What's the best braking combo? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 8:34 am

» Drive belt prices
What's the best braking combo? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
What's the best braking combo? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
What's the best braking combo? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
What's the best braking combo? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
What's the best braking combo? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
What's the best braking combo? I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
What's the best braking combo? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
What's the best braking combo? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
What's the best braking combo? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

What's the best braking combo?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
wingnprayer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
wingnprayer

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2009-06-27

What's the best braking combo? Empty
PostSubject: What's the best braking combo?   What's the best braking combo? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 6:19 pm

I'm still getting used to the braking on the S'Wing and after my recent tumble at low speed whilst on a corner I'm a bit nervous about the whole braking issue.

Also I've read that some new S'wing owners find the brakes a bit touchy/grabby. I found this myself. I've also read elsewhere that several thousand miles later this is less of a problem. I assume they must bed in over time?

Anyway I have a few questions. Firstly is there much difference in the brake systems between S'wing models, for example have they changed anything apart from ABS since the early models?

Regarding practical braking thus far I've gained the impression that low speed braking should be done mainly (only?) on the left lever, especially, God forbid, if you have to do it whilst cornering. In my recent tumble I must have put too much pressure on the right lever.

My next question would be what about braking at higher speeds, eg 60 mph whilst travelling in a straight line? Should I pull both levers equally?

Now what if you are doing 70mph in the wet, eg a highway/motorway. I know this is not wise, but for the sake of argument if you had to brake under these conditions?

Finally I read somewhere that the linked braking has the advantage of reducing the nose dip. Does this mean it is a better option to favour the left lever in the wet (in a straight line) more?

Sorry if these are daft questions with obvious answers, but after spending many years on standard bikes and now coming up against both brakes on the levers + linked braking, I am finding it rather nerve racking. I don't fancy a close inspection of the tarmac again any time soon!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's the best braking combo?   What's the best braking combo? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 6:26 pm

It is my understanding that because of linked brake system it's best to use both brakes all the time.
I don't find my brakes "grabby" and I bought my SW new, 1200ml now.
For what it's worth. Miro.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: What's the best braking combo?   What's the best braking combo? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 6:46 pm

wingnprayer wrote:
Also I've read that some new S'wing owners find the brakes a bit touchy/grabby. I found this myself. I've also read elsewhere that several thousand miles later this is less of a problem. I assume they must bed in over time?

I've not noticed any tendency toward a "grabby" feeling in either of our bikes. But, We've only ridden Honda scooters with the linked brake system.

wingnprayer wrote:
Anyway I have a few questions. Firstly is there much difference in the brake systems between S'wing models, for example have they changed anything apart from ABS since the early models?

I know of no difference from year to year other than the ABS in 2003.

wingnprayer wrote:
Regarding practical braking thus far I've gained the impression that low speed braking should be done mainly (only?) on the left lever, especially, God forbid, if you have to do it whilst cornering. In my recent tumble I must have put too much pressure on the right lever.

This will generate some discussion. I choose to use the left lever a bit more than my wife. We haven't really talked about it as it is a choice regarding control of the machine. She feels more comfortable using both levers I feel more comfortable using primarily the left lever during slower speeds.

wingnprayer wrote:
My next question would be what about braking at higher speeds, eg 60 mph whilst travelling in a straight line? Should I pull both levers equally?

At higher speeds the front tire will hold more weight (small physics problem) and thus the right lever must be used. I find that I use both just about equal in this situation.

wingnprayer wrote:
Now what if you are doing 70mph in the wet, eg a highway/motorway. I know this is not wise, but for the sake of argument if you had to brake under these conditions?

Same as immediately above. both of our SilverWings are non-ABS. Does not change standard application.

wingnprayer wrote:
Finally I read somewhere that the linked braking has the advantage of reducing the nose dip. Does this mean it is a better option to favour the left lever in the wet (in a straight line) more?

I'm not qualified to discuss the nose dip. I do believe that if you can minimize that aspect you should, but I do not believe the brakes are the best way to adjust the suspension. Adjust the suspension using some aftermarket springs and allow the brakes to be brakes.

Automobiles have a proportioning valve system to ensure that the front brakes (almost) always receive more of the braking load than the rear. This again comes back the the physics of stopping the mass in motion and how that mass reacts to the forces inflicted upon it by the action of braking.

You are almost always best served by applying more brake to the front wheel than the rear. This will change depending on speed, rider skill and condition. There is really no one answer to any given situation.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: What's the best braking combo?   What's the best braking combo? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 6:48 pm

Small caveat to the above post by me - obviously at really slow speeds and in a tight turn (not curve) the front brake may not be the best choice unless you are very judicious and have a great feel for the bikes balance, speed and braking force.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: What's the best braking combo?   What's the best braking combo? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 11:34 pm

I've been riding motorcycles since 1957 and use the brakes on the Silverwing just as I always have on all bikes I've ridden. Lead with the rear (left) brake and add the front brake. If you're riding slow and turning use the rear brake only and carry a little throttle, if the bike wants to fall into the turn at low speed ease up on the rear brake or increase the throttle and the lean will decrease. To tighten up the turn use the rear brake a bit more. Never use the front brake while slow speed maneuvering. True, the SW has linked brakes, as has the Goldwing since 1983, but you can ignore that because the linkage really doesn't change handling much if at all at slow speeds. With practice it should become easy to make figure 8s lock to lock on the handlebars. It just takes practice. Believe me when I got my Goldwing I wasn't ready for such a heavy (900lbs) bike and was a bit intimidated when going slow. It took practice but soon the worry was gone. I still, after 75,000 miles on the bike, pay a LOT of attention to what I'm doing in parking lots and sandy or gravelly spots. The SW is sooo much easier to handle at slow speeds.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's the best braking combo?   What's the best braking combo? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 8:12 pm

I started riding my Swing with zero experience riding on the pavement. I assumed you just pull both levers equally. It seems to work just fine.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: What's the best braking combo?   What's the best braking combo? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 7:45 am

Mickey,

There is a real nugget hiding within your post. Often we seem to believe it is far more complex than it is.

exavid,

Your post addresses some holes within my post. Indeed "lead" or begin braking with the left or rear, but quickly add in (as it seems appropriate) the right or front. And your advice to not use the front during slow speed turns is really spot on.

wingnprayer,

The low/slow speed issue is far and away the biggest problem for most people, or at least it is for my wife and I. The biggest factor (in my opinion) - focus on the task of actively riding (operating) the bike no matter the speed. The danger does not decrease as the speed gets closer to zero. Read and ask questions, but practice, practice, practice. Be involved in "operating" your motor vehicle. I see way too many people who just have no idea, and are simply sitting in/on a moving motor vehicle. How hard can it be?
Back to top Go down
wingnprayer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
wingnprayer

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2009-06-27

PostSubject: Re: What's the best braking combo?   What's the best braking combo? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 1:08 pm

Dale, I 100% agree with you. I've been on bikes about 25 years and bar some joker rear ending me a couple of years back, I haven't had an accident for about 22. I was very surprised when the S'Wing slipped away from me whilst turning at low speed. Since then I've been trying to work out why? I've ridden not only various smaller scoots but also quite a number of larger bikes and none did that to me so suddenly on a turn. That's why I find myself considering the linked system since it's the main factor outside my previous biking experiences. It may have nothing to do with my spill, but the only other likely culprit is the tyres.

On a slightly different note I've been practising the left brake vs. the throttle method for slow speed manoeuvring. The problem I'm encountering is that I'm a tall chap with long legs. When the handle bars come right round to the left or right locking positions they are positioned just above my knee. In the event that I have to quickly put my foot down to prevent her going over I'm finding the bars are getting in the way and delaying the time taken to do it. This nearly had me over a couple of nights back. Has anyone had this problem and found a technique to rectify it?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's the best braking combo?   What's the best braking combo? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What's the best braking combo?
Page 1 of 1