Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Braking I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Braking I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Braking I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Braking I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Braking I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Braking I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Braking I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Braking I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Braking I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Braking I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Braking

Go down 
+4
model28a
honda_silver
edbancro
Gary M
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Gary M
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-06-23

Braking Empty
PostSubject: Braking   Braking I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 7:56 pm

I am new to the world of the Silverwing. So Far I love it. I was told that one of the down falls was the fact in very mountainess country, the bike brakes may not hold on long grades. Having a large bike before, if I had to I would use the transmission to help break. Being automatic, would it be insafe. I am talking 8% to 10% for 1/2 to 3/4 a mile. Can any help?
Back to top Go down
edbancro
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2009-10-30

Braking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Braking   Braking I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 8:46 pm

I haven't driven on that steep of a grade for the distances that you're talking about, but even given the CVT setup, the bike has a very good amount (IMHO) of engine braking when you let off the throttle, so I would think that it would handle such a grade without any problems. I'm not saying one could make it down without using the brakes at all, but that one should be able to apply the brakes intermittently to keep them from over heating and not have to worry about the bike running away in between.

Others have mentioned that changes to the variator or clutch can change the engine braking characteristics (more or less depending on changes made), so that would be something to keep in mind if you're considering those upgrades.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Braking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Braking   Braking I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 8:58 pm

Gary M wrote:
I am new to the world of the Silverwing. So Far I love it. I was told that one of the down falls was the fact in very mountainess country, the bike brakes may not hold on long grades.

I have been on long grades with emergency pull offs with no problem.

I have been on step grades with no problem either.

Gary M wrote:
Having a large bike before, if I had to I would use the transmission to help break. Being automatic, would it be insafe. I am talking 8% to 10% for 1/2 to 3/4 a mile. Can any help?

The key before starting down the grade is to make sure are traveling 15 MPH before starting to descend the grade, then the transmission will remain engaged as long as you stay above 15 MPH. If you slow down below 15 MPH during the descent, the transmission will disengage ...blip the throttle for a moment to re-engage the transmission and continue the descent.

If you descend with the transmission engaged, there will not be any problem with the brakes because the majority of the work will be done by the transmission.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

Braking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Braking   Braking I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 1:16 am

honda-silver Wrote
"The key before starting down the grade is to make
sure are traveling 15 MPH before starting to descend the grade, then
the transmission will remain engaged as long as you stay above 15 MPH.
If you slow down below 15 MPH during the descent, the transmission will
disengage ...blip the throttle for a moment to re-engage the
transmission and continue the descent."
I did the Tail of the Dragon this past weekend Braking Icon_cheers and this method worked great.I had no problem either in fact I had a lot of fun.
Back to top Go down
Osprey
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2018-06-30

Braking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Braking   Braking I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2018 7:53 pm

Thank you for this information!

I've been reading through the braking threads and not quite getting what is meant by engine braking.  This one is pretty straight forward.  Good for the visual learner.

I live at highest point from "town."  The ride involves two hills.  One steep at 13% grade for a quarter of a mile.  I' just coast from a slight forward motion from driveway and then a smooth acceleration through the curve.  

The other hill is 8% for 4 miles.  I've done intermittent braking during the last quarter of a mile, while slowly easing off the throttle, into the 30 mph flat section of road into town.

Guess I've been engine braking from the start.  I'm a natural so to speak.  LOL.  

I get how the clutch involvement works quite a bit more.  I think I should do an indepth study of how the clutch works on a Swing.

Thanks all.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Braking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Braking   Braking I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2018 5:57 am

Bike has plenty of braking power. Just keep drive line engaged. Engine braking is there.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

Braking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Braking   Braking I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2018 7:36 am

If you do coast downhill and gather too much speed, you will need to brake the bike as close to 15 mph as you can before blipping the throttle. If you do it at higher speeds the engine braking comes on and it is sudden. If you are not bracing for it, it would make things very interesting !

Jay.
Back to top Go down
Osprey
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Braking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Braking   Braking I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2018 8:41 am

Thanks, I believe I've gots it. Still waiting for part to arrive to have bike back on the road.

Will practice this so I can hear and feel the difference. Definitely watch out for the high speed coasts. I've done interesting a few too many times on my bicycle.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1378
Registration date : 2016-01-02

Braking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Braking   Braking I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2018 10:24 pm

You will know the difference right away. Coasting engine will be at idle and engaged you will feel the slowing from compressing braking from engine. Difference is the throttle no need to slow to 15 or so. Open throttle to engage the drive clutch and then ease off. With the throttle you can match road speed then back off.

Are you a new MC rider? Bicycle experience helps but a MC is different in many ways.
Be safe and take your time learning.
Back to top Go down
Osprey
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Braking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Braking   Braking I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2018 3:43 pm

Mech 1 twa thanks for your input.

I get it, especially after watching a great animated video regarding cvt system.  This topic among a few others is helping me to not just ride the bike but pay attention to how it feels and sounds.  The swing is a fun bike to ride!

Yes, I'm new to mc riding, other than riding a dirt bike 40 years ago ; )

I do want to be safe.  Safety is always a number one priority no matter what I'm doing.  If I'm not being safe, then the "other guy" isn't safe either.  

I've been practicing every day (until need for mechanical work) down in an abandoned store parking lot.  Following ride like a pro video but also a lot of work on learning typical road hazards etc... I do this while traveling on our lumpy, cracked back roads, dirt roads, curved roads and the only traffic light intersection in town. It's very busy in the summer.  White mountain tourists, scary! Really have to watch out for them : D   

I'm always open to advice and suggestions.  Thanks to all of ya here!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Braking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Braking   Braking I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Braking
Page 1 of 1