Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Goodbye guys
Checking in from Portsmouth, UK I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 10:58 pm

» LF extended back rest
Checking in from Portsmouth, UK I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Today at 4:29 pm

» noise under load
Checking in from Portsmouth, UK I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
Checking in from Portsmouth, UK I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Yesterday at 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
Checking in from Portsmouth, UK I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Checking in from Portsmouth, UK I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Checking in from Portsmouth, UK I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Checking in from Portsmouth, UK I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
Checking in from Portsmouth, UK I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Checking in from Portsmouth, UK I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Checking in from Portsmouth, UK

Go down 
+6
Meldrew
model28a
"Hi Yo"
JeffR_
MikeO
HippoPete
10 posters
AuthorMessage
HippoPete
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2014-05-12

Checking in from Portsmouth, UK Empty
PostSubject: Checking in from Portsmouth, UK   Checking in from Portsmouth, UK I_icon_minitimeMon May 12, 2014 11:18 am

Hi All,

New owner of 2012 Silver wing in Blue. Unmodified and purchased with just 9,000 miles on the clock.

Wrong side of fifty now and previous bikes have included Ducati 900 Dahmah Sport, Harley Davidson 883 Hugger, Suzuki GSX600F, Suzuki DR650, Kawasaki 400 twin and hiding shyly in the back of the garage an LML (Indian Vespa) 125 scooter.

Too old and slow of reflexes now for proper bikes but the comfort, practicality and pulling power of the Swing suits me just fine.

All the best,
Pete
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3798
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Checking in from Portsmouth, UK   Checking in from Portsmouth, UK I_icon_minitimeMon May 12, 2014 12:07 pm

Hello Pete and welcome!

I suspect that the majority here are the wrong side of fifty but the Silverwing is as near ideal for wrinklies to ride as any bike.

I'm in Salisbury, not that far from you; there's a Saturday Rideout coming up soon if you're into that sort of thing. :-)
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Checking in from Portsmouth, UK   Checking in from Portsmouth, UK I_icon_minitimeMon May 12, 2014 12:31 pm

Pete,

Welcome to the site and congrats on your SWing. I'm sure you will like it just as much as the other bikes you have owned.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Checking in from Portsmouth, UK 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Checking in from Portsmouth, UK   Checking in from Portsmouth, UK I_icon_minitimeMon May 12, 2014 2:34 pm

Welcome Pete. So you are under fifty (the "wrong side" on this site).   Laughing     welcome
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Checking in from Portsmouth, UK   Checking in from Portsmouth, UK I_icon_minitimeMon May 12, 2014 5:02 pm

welcome applause welcome 
Back to top Go down
HippoPete
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Checking in from Portsmouth, UK   Checking in from Portsmouth, UK I_icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2014 11:43 am

Thanks for the welcomes. I shall keep an eye out for the ride-outs.

There's only one bike I'd truly enjoyed as much as his Silver Wing and that was my Kawasaki 400, collected shortly after my 17th birthday.

Here's a hint for all you young ones out there. If anyone ever asks you what the best day of your life was in front of your wife. The proper answer is "my wedding day" not "the day I got my first proper motorcycle" Smile
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4180
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Checking in from Portsmouth, UK   Checking in from Portsmouth, UK I_icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2014 12:53 pm

Hello mate, you've mentioned 'proper motorcycles' in both your posts, what exactly do you mean by that? Aren't they just motorcycles.  scratch
Back to top Go down
HippoPete
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Checking in from Portsmouth, UK   Checking in from Portsmouth, UK I_icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2014 3:03 am

Proper motorcycle in comparison to a moped or scooter even a decent maxi scooter. I love the Silver Wing but it doesn't handle like an Italian bike and anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves.

The Silver Wing and maxi scooters are, in my opinion, the best development of the last twenty years and suit my needs and riding style beautifully. I'm not setting myself up as a superior "bike" rider, I sold my Duke because it would have killed me. Too fast, too powerful and too tempting for my ability, I know my own limitations.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Checking in from Portsmouth, UK   Checking in from Portsmouth, UK I_icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2014 9:57 am

Pete, watch the wrinkle from the grin on your face. You are officially a Swinger. Welcome to the party.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Checking in from Portsmouth, UK   Checking in from Portsmouth, UK I_icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2014 12:35 pm

Welcome Hippo Pete, most of us started on Motorcycles. i have only been a Scooter owner for four years. Once you get used to the swing you will find, you can throw it around, almost as much as a motorcycle. I have left a lot of motorcyles behind,after i let them overtake me,and then that little devil on my shoulder whispered "go on,you know you want to. Evil or Very Mad "
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4180
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Checking in from Portsmouth, UK   Checking in from Portsmouth, UK I_icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2014 2:06 pm

HippoPete wrote:
Proper motorcycle in  comparison to a moped or scooter even a decent maxi scooter. I love the Silver Wing but it doesn't handle like an Italian bike and anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves.

The Silver Wing and maxi scooters are, in my opinion, the best development of the last twenty years and suit my needs and riding style beautifully. I'm not setting myself up as a superior "bike" rider, I sold my Duke because it would have killed me. Too fast, too powerful and too tempting for my ability, I know my own limitations.

Your Duke was a Seventies era bike, air cooled, chain drive, carbs, etc from the days when fitting a set of Dunlop TT 100's or Avon Roadrunners tyres was considered cool. I was riding around on a new BMW R100/7 about the same time the Darmah was the latest thing. We all thought Derriboots were great back then too.  Smile
Back to top Go down
HippoPete
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Checking in from Portsmouth, UK   Checking in from Portsmouth, UK I_icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2014 9:44 am

Ha ha - Derriboots. Try telling the nippers about those, they'll never believe you (or the slightly ripe aroma from them after a day's riding).

And Mr Old Limey, yes I understand, I've not pushed the Wing yet but it pulls beautifully. I think one of the main things that surprised me was on day of collection, I trundled down a slip road onto the motorway, joined a very clear main carriageway thinking right, time to open her up, glanced down and found myself doing around 80mph already. Smooth, oh yes.

Cheers,
Pete

Back to top Go down
paulc
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2013-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Checking in from Portsmouth, UK   Checking in from Portsmouth, UK I_icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2014 12:25 pm

Hi Hippo Pete
West Country Rideout 7 June. Start 10am at Travelodge Wincanton A303- run round Mendips , Levels and other Somerset goodies. About 95miles. You'd be welcome to join us.
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Checking in from Portsmouth, UK   Checking in from Portsmouth, UK I_icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2014 6:52 pm

I've heard of Mendipite although I don't remember seeing a crystalized specimen. Post a few pictures of any famous mining areas please. Some day Ill get there.
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Checking in from Portsmouth, UK   Checking in from Portsmouth, UK I_icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2014 6:54 pm

Hippo, I never bought a Duke for the same reason you sold yours. I got in enough trouble with the VTX. Wink 
Back to top Go down
HippoPete
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Checking in from Portsmouth, UK   Checking in from Portsmouth, UK I_icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2014 5:00 am

Thanks for the continued welcomes all and Paul, thanks for the heads-up on 7th June.

Cheers,
HippoPete
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Checking in from Portsmouth, UK   Checking in from Portsmouth, UK I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Checking in from Portsmouth, UK
Page 1 of 1