Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
stuck fuel gauge I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Today at 5:41 pm

» I said Farewell...
stuck fuel gauge I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
stuck fuel gauge I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
stuck fuel gauge I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
stuck fuel gauge I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
stuck fuel gauge I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
stuck fuel gauge I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
stuck fuel gauge I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
stuck fuel gauge I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
stuck fuel gauge I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

stuck fuel gauge

Go down 
+2
Cosmic_Jumper
john&lesley
6 posters
AuthorMessage
john&lesley
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
john&lesley

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2014-03-29

stuck fuel gauge Empty
PostSubject: stuck fuel gauge   stuck fuel gauge I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2014 2:47 am

Mad Mad the swing is stuck on 3 bars showing all the time on the lcd display does anyone out there know how to get to the level in the tank .and how easy is this to do the display works when the ignition is turned on ie it shows all the bars .but when I fill up the bars dont move of of 3 displayed can anyone please tell me how to get to the level sensor as its obviously stuck thanks all and great site john
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

stuck fuel gauge Empty
PostSubject: Re: stuck fuel gauge   stuck fuel gauge I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2014 8:21 am

I had a similar problem with my fuel gauge. It would drop down two bars then start flashing as if empty. After another 40 miles the gauge would resume working normally. I finally replaced the fuel pump/sending unit with an eBay purchase and all is well.

In examining the "failed" unit I found that a section of the sending unit wiper bar had brown deposits. At first I thought that it was a burn mark from the wiper arcing along that section. Then reasoned that if it were arcing & sparking that I'd have quickly become a reluctant astronaut.

At any rate I was able to clean off those deposits with mineral spirits and a Q-tip. The deposits are caused by gasoline chemicals (10% Ethanol here). In retrospect my problem could have been resolved by adding a large dose Chevron Techron additive or possibly Seafoam to the next several tanksful. That additive is designed to dissolve contaminants and deposits in the fuel system.

It's worth trying out a couple of bottles of Techron over the next 6-8 tanks. The alternative is to remove the fuel tank then either clean the sending unit wiper with a very fine abrasive, acetone or mineral spirits, or to replace the pump/sending unit completely.

Removing the fuel tank requires removing all of the front body panels along with the side skirts, tunnel cover and seat. Then dropping the tank out from below the frame.  Good luck.

Tim
Back to top Go down
john&lesley
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
john&lesley

stuck fuel gauge Empty
PostSubject: Re: stuck fuel gauge   stuck fuel gauge I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2014 9:04 am

Thanks cosmic jumper I will add some red x thats a fuel cleaning additive here in england my swing even though has 33000 miles on had only done 500 in the last 6 years so no wonder things are sticking
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

stuck fuel gauge Empty
PostSubject: Re: stuck fuel gauge   stuck fuel gauge I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2014 9:48 am

My elderly mother's GM car recently had the same problem. One day it read almost Full, later when I started it up, it read Empty. After doing lots of Googling, I realized that with only 21k km on a 7 year old car, ethanol separation and deposition on the sending unit caused the issue. One container of Gumout Regane cleaned the fuel system and sending unit, and in exactly 24 hours her fuel gauge was working again. I intend to but a half bottle of the same stuff into my Silverwing gas tank as soon as I get it on the road this Spring.
Back to top Go down
john&lesley
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
john&lesley

stuck fuel gauge Empty
PostSubject: Re: stuck fuel gauge   stuck fuel gauge I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2014 10:13 am

Ill see if I can grt gumout or similar over here in uk
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

stuck fuel gauge Empty
PostSubject: Re: stuck fuel gauge   stuck fuel gauge I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2014 12:42 pm

I have been using Redex in my fuel tanks for about 40yrs, usualy 10mm per tankful, However, about Four thousand miles ago i got the Fuel injection light come on a couple of times. On reading the owner manual i noticed it said DO NOT use any fuel additives as the carburretor is coated and it could cause a problem. It made me wonder if the Redex was removing the coating, so I haven't used any Redex since and up to now all seems okay. Smile 
Back to top Go down
john&lesley
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
john&lesley

stuck fuel gauge Empty
PostSubject: Re: stuck fuel gauge   stuck fuel gauge I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2014 12:53 pm

Thank you old limey maybe I wont bother about using red x as the damage that could occur its a problem that could resolve its self . Cheers for all the help
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

stuck fuel gauge Empty
PostSubject: Re: stuck fuel gauge   stuck fuel gauge I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2014 1:07 pm

Old Limey wrote:
 On reading the owner manual i noticed it said DO NOT use any fuel additives as the carburretor is coated and it could cause a problem. It made me wonder if the Redex was removing the coating, so I haven't used any Redex since and up to now all seems okay. Smile 

Forgive my non-techy ignorance, and certainly no offence intended, but I didn't think the Wing had a carburettor, being an fuel-injected engine. scratch 
I was going to get some injector cleaner for mine - might just wait now for the more knowledgeable people to reply! Smile 

Graham
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

stuck fuel gauge Empty
PostSubject: Re: stuck fuel gauge   stuck fuel gauge I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2014 2:01 pm

A copy of my post in another thread:

"If gumming of the entire fuel system is a problem, in my experience, there are only a few products that do an admirable cleaning job. These products contain healthy doses of PEA (Polyether Amine). The ones I know of are Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus, Gumout Regane, Redline SI-1, Amsoil Performance Improver, and BG Products 44K. Sea Foam is not one of them."
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

stuck fuel gauge Empty
PostSubject: Re: stuck fuel gauge   stuck fuel gauge I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2014 2:03 pm

I was just quoting what i had read in the Manual, but you are right, now i think about it . it is Fuel injected isn't it Winger 61. Someone with more technical knowledge needed here!. Smile 
Back to top Go down
Mudnman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2014-01-15

stuck fuel gauge Empty
PostSubject: Re: stuck fuel gauge   stuck fuel gauge I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2014 5:07 pm

I use fuel med rx.Silverwings are like cars so injector cleaners will not hurt them.Words from a certified honda mechanic.If your gona use something use something that works.One oz of RX will treat 8 gallons.
It's good to read directions for ratios,4 1/4 gallon tanks we have.

2 post up ,Bigbird knows what he's talking about.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

stuck fuel gauge Empty
PostSubject: Re: stuck fuel gauge   stuck fuel gauge I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

stuck fuel gauge
Page 1 of 1