Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Fuel Gauge I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 2:50 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Fuel Gauge I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Fuel Gauge I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Fuel Gauge I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Fuel Gauge I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Fuel Gauge I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Fuel Gauge I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Fuel Gauge I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Fuel Gauge I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Fuel Gauge I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Fuel Gauge

Go down 
+4
GoonerKev
Cosmic_Jumper
cotetoi
Easyrider
8 posters
AuthorMessage
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

Number of posts : 409
Registration date : 2019-04-09

Fuel Gauge Empty
PostSubject: Fuel Gauge   Fuel Gauge I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 05, 2019 4:37 am

Still having grief with the fuel gauge, one minute it works then it doesn't. While filling up on the last 2 occasions I have put in:
"Techron PEA Concentrate Plus Petrol Fuel Injector System Cleaner"
and some success has been had, the gauge goes to full, then whilst riding after fill up the gauge gradually goes down bit by bit. I always put the trip back to "0" and give myself a limit of 90Mile per tank to be safe. I have a spare Fuel/Pump/Sender unit that came with the bike, so how much plastic has to come off to achieve the change-over of it please.

Kev

Last edited by GoonerKev on Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

Fuel Gauge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Gauge   Fuel Gauge I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 05, 2019 6:45 am

Kev,
I wish I could get 90MPG on my 2013 Swing. I average 50MPG. Fill up at about 150 miles on my trip meter.
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

Fuel Gauge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Gauge   Fuel Gauge I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 05, 2019 7:16 am

Easy
Ooooops should have read 90 Miles per tank Laughing Laughing
Corrected now, thanks for spotting it Laughing Wink
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

Fuel Gauge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Gauge   Fuel Gauge I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 05, 2019 8:38 am

My 2007 with 25,000 miles at present will go about 150 miles and still show 2 bars on the gauge. I fill up at this point at the first gas station. Usually takes about 10-11 litres at this point. That's 3-4 litres still in the tank. Which means the range on a tankful would probably be 175-180 miles. Could even go to 200 with moderation in speed and handling.

Jay.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Fuel Gauge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Gauge   Fuel Gauge I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 05, 2019 9:06 am

Do a Search here for "Fuel gauge mystery".

To remove the fuel tank you'll need to remove the side skirts, tank undercover & sub frame and tunnel cover. Then the front cover. Remove the two bolts attaching the tank to the frame. If that werent enough you'll also need to remove meter panel, probably the handlebar covers, and the remaining front body (with the cubbies), all that just to remove the third bolt attaching the tank to the frame. 

Of course prior to all that you've emptied all the fuel, removed the seat & seat undercover and disconnected the sending unit wiring and fuel line.

Stay with me now... Once you've got all those obstacles out of the way all you have to do is to raise the bike high enough to allow enough room to manipulate the tank because it drops down at an angle out of the frame.

Now doesn't that Techron treatment sound a bit more attractive?  HTH

Tim
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

Fuel Gauge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Gauge   Fuel Gauge I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 05, 2019 10:23 am

Jay
Many thanks, appreciate that. It will give me some figures to work on now and not panic so much on reaching 90 miles Wink

Tim
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
You know I think you may be right there, just ordered 30 ltrs of Techron Wink Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Lost it
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2019-05-13

Fuel Gauge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Gauge   Fuel Gauge I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 05, 2019 10:29 am

I'd make a dipstick. Or carry a litre tin just in case.
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

Fuel Gauge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Gauge   Fuel Gauge I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 05, 2019 10:35 am

thumbs up

Lost it
Got one of those 1 ltr containers (well quite a few) as they came with some generators that we had for the Fire Engines & a few went missing Wink Wink
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

Fuel Gauge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Gauge   Fuel Gauge I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2019 1:57 pm

As you know I do not have all the innovations you plan on fitting Gooner Kev , but, on my old Silverwing I did a fuel check and from a full tank to empty got 220mls. I average 60-65 MPG. On my present swing I get the same fuel consumption. I always put the trip meter back to zero when filling up. I carried a two litre bottle of fuel when I did my fuel check.
Back to top Go down
Lost it
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Fuel Gauge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Gauge   Fuel Gauge I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2019 2:22 pm

That's what I'll be doing only real problem is the pump used the petrol in the tank to keep itself cool so running it completely dry isn't the best way to make it last. Thurs is why when you completely empty the tank you will find it hold at least a litre more than the handbook says it will hold.
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

Fuel Gauge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Gauge   Fuel Gauge I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2019 3:08 pm

Old Limey
Thank you for that great info, and I will use that as a reference on my mileage, but I will cut 50 miles off that just to be safe mate (we have all been in the embarrassing situation when we were young Wink Wink Yep, I do the trip after a full tank just to be safe.Wink

Trev
I knew the pump held some but did not know it was that much, thanks mate Wink

Kev
Back to top Go down
Lost it
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Fuel Gauge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Gauge   Fuel Gauge I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2019 5:26 pm

Not sure it is that much, but the VFR says 22 litres in the hand book, when I changed the fuel filter in the tank I put just over 23 litres in it to brim. Probably same pump in the Wing...
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

Fuel Gauge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Gauge   Fuel Gauge I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2019 2:35 am

OK mate, thank you for that.
I wrote on MSG_MotoVlogs youtube page on "How-to Fairing Removal Video in-depth & steps" if he could do one for removing the necessary bit's in order to get to the Tank/Fuel Pump and he's going to do one, that will help a lot of people out Wink
Back to top Go down
AldusFran
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2015-06-13

Fuel Gauge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Gauge   Fuel Gauge I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2019 2:21 pm

Easyrider, If I was only getting 50mpg on my Swing I'd been checking for what's wrong or getting rid of it. I do a mix of city and freeway here in Tucson,AZ and have consistently got 58-62 mpg. I can't believe some of the poor mileage folks on this site get .
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Fuel Gauge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Gauge   Fuel Gauge I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2019 2:45 pm

I am happy with my Swing. Gas mileage usually relates to one's driving habits. I like the feeling when accelerating to get up to speed when entering an expressway. I guess I could improve my mileage, but why? I am having fun. Don't get me wrong, I don't blast full throttle unless necessary.
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

Fuel Gauge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Gauge   Fuel Gauge I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2019 3:10 pm

I recently saw a video on how to remove the surrounding area of the Fuel Pump which I want to replace with a spare one I have but cant find it anywhere. I only ask as I don't want to take off any panels that don't require removing for that purpose.

Kev
Back to top Go down
Seadog
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2016-03-25

Fuel Gauge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Gauge   Fuel Gauge I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2019 9:26 pm

Don't forget, when comparing mpg, that an Imperial (UK) gallon is 20% more a US gallon!

That said, it's obvious some people are consuming fuel at very different rates.

Easyrider reports 50mpUSg = 60mpIMPg.

Old Limey reports about 52mpUSg = 62.5mpIMPg.

AldusFran reports about 60mpUSg =  72mpIMPg.

Just to add to the confusion, though here in the UK we still measure fuel consumption in miles per gallon, the fuel is actually sold in litres!

Last edited by Seadog on Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:46 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Figures corrected for UK gallon larger.)
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Fuel Gauge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Gauge   Fuel Gauge I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 21, 2019 12:43 am

I thought that it is the other way around that an Imperial gallon is more than a US gallon?
In the Americas, a gallon is equivalent to 128 fluid ounces or 3.785 liters (American spelling). But in the UK, it's 160 fluid ounces or 4.546 litres (British spelling).
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

Fuel Gauge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Gauge   Fuel Gauge I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 21, 2019 4:36 am

Found a guide from "The Bern" post but want to be sure:

Remove saddle
Remove sparkplug cover
Remove floor mats
Remove lower skirts
Remove passenger footpeg mounting plates
Remove central floorboard section
Back to top Go down
Seadog
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2016-03-25

Fuel Gauge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Gauge   Fuel Gauge I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 21, 2019 5:40 am

Easyrider wrote:
I thought that it is the other way around that an Imperial gallon is more than a US gallon?
In the Americas, a gallon is equivalent to 128 fluid ounces or 3.785 liters (American spelling). But in the UK, it's 160 fluid ounces or 4.546 litres (British spelling).

Oops!  You're right.  Embarassed

Brain fade, I'm afraid.

I've amended the figures in my previous post. (Someone please check them!)

Last edited by Seadog on Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:48 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Confirmed previous post edited.)
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Fuel Gauge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Gauge   Fuel Gauge I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 21, 2019 7:41 am

First the problem:

http://silverwing600.forumotion.com/t8587-fuel-gauge-mystery?highlight=Fuel+gauge

Then the solution:

http://silverwing600.forumotion.com/t8645-fuel-gauge-mystery-follow-up?highlight=Fuel+gauge+mystery
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

Fuel Gauge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Gauge   Fuel Gauge I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 21, 2019 9:02 am

Tim
What can I say, but a big thank you for all that helpful information on both post's. I will now set a day to remove the surrounding plastic and go for it Wink Wink

Kev
Back to top Go down
Lost it
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Fuel Gauge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Gauge   Fuel Gauge I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 21, 2019 2:12 pm

IIRC you multiply the litres by .22 to get gallons. UK gallons...

I did a check on my VFR800FE fuel consumption today. I'm doing 180 miles a day and averaging 3.2 gallons per fill. Or 58mpg. Not bad for the style of rider I am.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fuel Gauge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Gauge   Fuel Gauge I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fuel Gauge
Page 1 of 1