Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» YSS rear shocks for sale
battery - New type of Battery I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
battery - New type of Battery I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
battery - New type of Battery I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
battery - New type of Battery I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
battery - New type of Battery I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
battery - New type of Battery I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
battery - New type of Battery I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
battery - New type of Battery I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
battery - New type of Battery I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
battery - New type of Battery I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New type of Battery

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
clnelson3
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2014-02-22

battery - New type of Battery Empty
PostSubject: New type of Battery   battery - New type of Battery I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 24, 2014 9:34 pm

Came across this today and just wanted to get any feedback on anyone who might already have one of these types of battery in their Swing. From what I understand, this is 80 lighter, lasts 5 times longer, has a smaller case size and has a higher CCA output than lead acid or gel batteries. I would imagine that the 20 pound weight saving at such a high center of gravity would literally change the ride dynamic, also. Any thoughts?? rabbit 
Here is a link to one of the creators of such a battery. http://batterytender.com/news/lithiumgraphicvids/
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: New type of Battery   battery - New type of Battery I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 24, 2014 11:27 pm

A company called Shorai also makes this type of battery.

http://shoraipower.com/products?action=vehicle&type=178&make=943&model=8366&year=8366

I can tell you that a friend of mine bought the Shorai model for his motorcycle.
He was very impressed with it.
He lives in Brazil, where everything is expensive.
Because of the light weight, shipping was affordable and he was very happy with the sure start.

Here is a comparison based on the two websites for the model that fits the wing and the stock brand:

Spec      Battery                 Shorai                     Shorai              Yuasa                      Yuasa
              Tender                                                                                                   (Stock)
Model   BTL14A240C     LFX14A1-BS12           LFX18A1BS12       YTZ14S                    YTZ12S
CCA         240                      210                         270                  230                           210
AH            14                        14                           18                   11.2                        11.0
Price     150.00                  160.00                     190.00                201.00                 179.00
Weight  1.76lbs                 1.88lbs                     2.31lbs               8.6lbs                    8.1lbs

Looks like the Battery Tender Gives you more for your money if you want 14AH
But the Shorai has the 18AH option with more CCA for +$40.00

All prices listed are factory suggested retail.

Last edited by dspevack on Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:07 am; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: New type of Battery   battery - New type of Battery I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 24, 2014 11:30 pm

I have a Shorai battery and I happy with it. My battery is 5.85 lbs lighter than the lead-acid battery. I think you misread something as there couldn't be a 20 pound weight saving. The OEM battery is not near 20 pounds to began with. The link below is the for the   LFX18A1-BS12 that I have.
http://shoraipower.com/products?action=vehicle&type=178&make=943&model=8366&year=8366
Back to top Go down
lalee
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2013-11-09

PostSubject: Re: New type of Battery   battery - New type of Battery I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 25, 2014 1:39 am

No offense to anyone, but I thought I would share a recent purchase that has turned into a super good deal for me.

I bought this glass matt battery for $19.95 and it has been starting my bike for the last two months.  ($14 shipping)  

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AH56KI/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Shipping weight is 10 lbs.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: New type of Battery   battery - New type of Battery I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 25, 2014 6:37 am

That's a very good deal Larry.
I'm guessing that is somehow a recycled battery.
Another manufacturer would not use the same exact model number.
Did you get any specs with the battery?
CCA?
Ah?
Warranty?
If you want warranty service, who do you contact?
Back to top Go down
lalee
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2013-11-09

PostSubject: Re: New type of Battery   battery - New type of Battery I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 25, 2014 10:19 am

dspevack wrote:
That's a very good deal Larry.
I'm guessing that is somehow a recycled battery.
Another manufacturer would not use the same exact model number.
Did you get any specs with the battery?
CCA?
Ah?
Warranty?
If you want warranty service, who do you contact?

After reading the reviews, some by other Silverwing users, I just took a chance on it. My battery give up the ghost in Oct. of 2013. This battery has been starting my Silverwing every day this winter. It started the bike coming out of the box. It spins the motor as well as any battery I have had in either of the Silverwings I have owned.

Honda wants $150 for a battery.

Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: New type of Battery   battery - New type of Battery I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 25, 2014 11:18 am

I also have been using a Shorai for 3 years now. It is crazy light weight, but there are some "gotcha's" that you need to be aware of. In very cold weather, around freezing, the battery's output goes way down. You need to internally warm up the battery by turning on your lights for 30s before trying to start the engine. You should not use a battery tender on it that has a desuflation cycle. That will ruin any Li-Fe battery. You shouldn't use a lead acid battery charger that has no auto-off feature. It is highly recommended to use Shorai's own dedicated, and expensive, charger.
Read the FAQ's from Shorai first before running and out and buying one:

http://shoraipower.com/faq

Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: New type of Battery   battery - New type of Battery I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 25, 2014 1:02 pm

One thing I did like on the battery tender brand, is that it has 4 contacts.
Great for gadgeteers that need to hook up lots of extra stuff.

However, if I have lots of extra stuff, I think I'm going with the 18AH Shorai.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: New type of Battery   battery - New type of Battery I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 25, 2014 1:09 pm

dspevack wrote:
One thing I did like on the battery tender brand, is that it has 4 contacts.
Great for gadgeteers that need to hook up lots of extra stuff.

In my experience, the more connections at the battery terminals, the more opportunity for shorting. I always use a fused terminal block, like this, when hooking up extra electrical circuits. You can have both switched and unswitched (constant power) circuits on it.

http://www.centechwire.com/Motorcycles_c15.htm

http://www.bluesea.com/products/5025

I have the Centech AP-1 installed on my Silverwing and the Blue Sea on my RAV4. I added HID headlights that need separate battery power for the relay and also my trailer wiring adapter needs battery power.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New type of Battery   battery - New type of Battery I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New type of Battery
Page 1 of 1