Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Gremlins in my electrics I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Today at 5:41 pm

» I said Farewell...
Gremlins in my electrics I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Gremlins in my electrics I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Gremlins in my electrics I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Gremlins in my electrics I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Gremlins in my electrics I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Gremlins in my electrics I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Gremlins in my electrics I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Gremlins in my electrics I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Gremlins in my electrics I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Gremlins in my electrics

Go down 
+3
model28a
bigbird
Old Limey
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

Gremlins in my electrics Empty
PostSubject: Gremlins in my electrics   Gremlins in my electrics I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 12:13 pm

I think the Gremlins have moved onto my Silverwing. First i had the front side light go out. two weeks later the other front sidelight went out. Then my FI light came on for a couple of times. Next battery flat(no reason i could find, as bulb for underseat been removed 18mths). Two days later Main 30amp fuse blew. I came home last night and my headlight bulb has failed. I have been talking of changing to either a new Silverwing, or maybe something else, for my Birthday in August, i think my Wing is trying to tell me something. Is it "Don't you dare" or "I've had enough".Sad 
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Gremlins in my electrics   Gremlins in my electrics I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 12:48 pm

If you want to troubleshoot this, start with a current draw test. With no electrical loads (ignition key in your pocket), remove the negative terminal only from your battery. Connect a digital VOM, set to A or Amps on its own 10A protected circuit, in series with the disconnected negative battery cable and the negative terminal of your fully charged battery. The VOM should read 0 on this scale. The reason for starting with its 10A protected (fused) circuit is to protect the VOM's circuitry from overloading. Then set the VOM to read mA of current, which is much more sensitive to small currents. The VOM should only read 1 mA, which is the draw from the ECU and digital clock. If it reads anything more, then you need to find which circuit is drawing the current. You would then reconnect the negative battery cable and start with each fuse. Pull each fuse, one at a time, and again insert the VOM in series with each terminal where the fuse plugs into the fuse block. Eventually you should find one or more circuits with a current draw. That will be the circuit you need to investigate for a short or other problem. Your battery shouldn't go dead over a couple of weeks unless something is draining its current.

If what I've just typed is all gibberish, then either take it to a trustworthy mechanic who will do all this by the hour for you, or if money is burning a hole in your wallet, give me your Swing and get a new one :lol!:

Last edited by bigbird on Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

PostSubject: Re: Gremlins in my electrics   Gremlins in my electrics I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 2:09 pm

I will look into your suggestions Bigbird, thankyou. I don't think my bike would be happy to be laid up for months in your winter, it gets a bit annoyed if i use my Burgman instead of it. I have had a serious talk with it and it is on it's final warning, anymore trouble and it goes.Rolling Eyes Should i look at the xenon bulb as a replacement for the Halogen headlight, Bigbird, or is it not advisable, thanks in advance.

Last edited by Old Limey on Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Gremlins in my electrics   Gremlins in my electrics I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 4:25 pm

Great advice by bigbird, but it would have been nice if it was posted in the Maintenance, Tips and Hints so it could be found easier when someone was searching for electrical help. Sad 
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: gremlins in electrics   Gremlins in my electrics I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 4:41 pm

The European models have a built in immobiliser which may (or may not!) affect the current draw in the swiched off mode ?
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

PostSubject: Re: Gremlins in my electrics   Gremlins in my electrics I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 5:35 pm

I would think the immobiliser would have to draw some power.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Gremlins in my electrics   Gremlins in my electrics I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 6:11 pm

model28a wrote:
I would think the immobiliser would have to draw some power.
Usually an immobilizer works by transmitting a coded signal when the key is turned from "off" to "run" or "start" in an ignition. The coded signal "tickles" the transponder in the key, causing an electrical signal, appropriately coded, to be sent back to the immobilizer. If both signals match, then the immobilizer unlocks and allows the key to do its thing. I just had a look at the Swing's HISS electrical schematic, and it definitely is only powered up when the ignition key is turned on.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

PostSubject: Re: Gremlins in my electrics   Gremlins in my electrics I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 10:30 pm

That makes sense, only using power when in use. I guess I was thinking more in the line of an alarm which would always be on. See what happens when one makes comments on something he knows nothing about. Embarassed Smile
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Gremlins   Gremlins in my electrics I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 06, 2013 6:06 am

There is the option to have the red light in the instrument panel flash when the HISS is set but it involves some fiddling that I can never remember !
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Gremlins in my electrics   Gremlins in my electrics I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 06, 2013 6:53 am

Pages 54-56 of your FJS 600 D/A Silver Wing Owners Manual tells you about the Immobiliser System (HISS). After turning the ignition on, have the mileometer/odometer displayed, press the second of the two Reset buttons for more than 2 seconds. The HISS indicator will flash once to indicate that the function has been activated, then turn the ignition switch off. As you pull out the key, the indicator will start to blink. When the ignition switch is turned on again the indicator function will be cancelled.

Normally the indicator flashes once every 2 seconds for 24 hours with the ignition off, after that it automatically switches off
Back to top Go down
jodders1
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
jodders1

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2011-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Gremlins in my electrics   Gremlins in my electrics I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 06, 2013 12:59 pm

trade it in, treat yourself for your 70th birthday
and make sure your road side recovery is up to date ha-ha
your bulbs blowing a few weeks apart could be just unlucky as all 3 are on all the time when running
battery can sometimes fail without warning in winter
main fuse blowing not sure about that have you put any new electrical parts on recently
could be something like your side stand switch you disconnected catching the frame
hope you sort it out
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

PostSubject: Re: Gremlins in my electrics   Gremlins in my electrics I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 06, 2013 2:08 pm

Thanks,jodders, I think I've just hit an unlucky patch regarding Electrics in general. The Battery could be a little suspect after 6years of life. The only thing fitted recently was an extra brake warning light i fitted into my top box. I am really serious about a new bike for my birthday, maybe a little before, as my insurance is due in July. As well as the Silverwing i want to try the Maxisym 600 that is due late spring in the UK, and Kymco have a 700 that maybe worth a look. If they don't match the Silverwing i will definately go for another one.Smile
Back to top Go down
jodders1
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
jodders1

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2011-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Gremlins in my electrics   Gremlins in my electrics I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 06, 2013 4:13 pm

old limey
I am really serious about a new bike for my birthday, maybe a little before, as my insurance is due in July. As well as the Silverwing i want to try the Maxisym 600 that is due late spring in the UK, and Kymco have a 700 that maybe worth a look. If they don't match the Silverwing i will definately go for another one.Smile

old limey this might be worth a look

Honda have just updated the nc700 integra for 2014 comes out early next year its now called the Honda nc750 integra as its up from a 670cc to 745cc engine with good mpg storage space under the seat is also bigger

Gremlins in my electrics Honda_11
Gremlins in my electrics Honda_12
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

PostSubject: Re: Gremlins in my electrics   Gremlins in my electrics I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 07, 2013 12:05 pm

I did look at the Integra. One look at the chain put me off. I've had chain, shaft and belt drives and will never go back to chain again, that is why the 800cc scooter, they have in the Rocket centre at Blackburn is of no interest to me.Smile 
Back to top Go down
woodworker
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2013-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Gremlins in my electrics   Gremlins in my electrics I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 07, 2013 1:56 pm

Chain = pain old limey ,guess most of us scooterists lucky too have belt drive .What a Face
Back to top Go down
woodworker
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2013-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Gremlins in my electrics   Gremlins in my electrics I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 07, 2013 2:08 pm

Was invited too a Honda winter riding and maintenance course .Took them up on the offer found the course interesting ,but the majority of the course was on chain and sprocket maintenance.The technician demonstrated checking lights and indicators on a pcx, but he said most scooters do not generally need as much maintenance as motorcycles.Guess that's the big advantage of a scooter and the luggage capability.Long live the belt drive. cheers 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gremlins in my electrics   Gremlins in my electrics I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gremlins in my electrics
Page 1 of 1