Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
New Plugs installed! I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 9:19 pm

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
New Plugs installed! I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» checking the oil
New Plugs installed! I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Fri May 03, 2024 7:41 am

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
New Plugs installed! I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
New Plugs installed! I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
New Plugs installed! I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
New Plugs installed! I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
New Plugs installed! I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
New Plugs installed! I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
New Plugs installed! I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New Plugs installed!

Go down 
+3
JeffR_
hotwings
GHM-PM
7 posters
AuthorMessage
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2562
Registration date : 2012-05-17

New Plugs installed! Empty
PostSubject: New Plugs installed!   New Plugs installed! I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 7:05 pm

Well today my NGK Iridium plugs arrived!  I gapped them at .032 (range is .031-.035).  Using the pictorial gotten here on the forum I had no problems!  Here are the old plugs:

New Plugs installed! Plugs

They seem to be OK, in retrospect they probably could have gone a lot longer before replacing.  The plug on the left side was REALLY tight.  I had to use a breaker bar to get it loose, other side was fine.  16 foot/pounds? I don't think so.

Here is the 4 1/2 inch 3/8 socket I purchased at Napa for about 9 bucks.  I have one of these but it is at my house in WA...  Naturally!

New Plugs installed! Socket

One caution, this socket did not have a magnetic or rubber insert to hold the plug. However, due to the angle of the head I was able to insert the plugs in socket without having it fall out in the head.  Thank God!

Actually the install was quite easy; certainly easier than replacing a headlight bulb  Rolling Eyes 

The scoot started right up and idled great.  I will keep you posted if any good or bad things crop up.

I installed NGK  CR8EHIX-9  plugs.

Just to clarify; both the stock plugs were gapped at .036 upon removal!

Last edited by GHM-PM on Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: New Plugs installed!   New Plugs installed! I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 9:22 pm

GHM-PM how many kilometers/miles are on the "old" plugs. Like you say they appear in pretty good condition.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: New Plugs installed!   New Plugs installed! I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 9:24 pm

Glenn,

I had to really use some force to remove my plugs the first time too.  I almost thought the factory put locktite on them.  lol  

I have had my plugs for at least 25,000 miles and they seem to keep their gap still and look good.  I don't think the iridium plugs make it run better but they seem to last a long time.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: New Plugs installed!   New Plugs installed! I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 10:16 pm

hotwings wrote:
GHM-PM how many kilometers/miles are on the "old" plugs. Like you say they appear in pretty good condition.
8441 US miles.
Back to top Go down
eddy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2009-11-27

PostSubject: Re: New Plugs installed!   New Plugs installed! I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 24, 2013 6:58 am

Spark plugs are actually very simple things.
Two electrodes separated by insulation.

What could wear? ..
The gap can be increased by the erosion of the metal.
Here are the Iridiums the better, but ordinary plugs you can also adjust.
I think the ordinary will last at least 40,000 miles.

Of course if appropriate types and the engine is ok.

Maintenance Parts .. oil, filters, spark plugs, coolant, magic additives ...Big business.
Back to top Go down
http://edho@operamail.com
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: New Plugs installed!   New Plugs installed! I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 01, 2013 8:26 pm

UPDATE:

It is December 1st and my Silver Wing now has 12K on it.  Almost 4K on the Iridium plugs!  No problems to report, scoot runs GREAT, idles GREAT etc.  No complaints so far.

Are  OEM plugs bad?  No way!  But for the small difference in price I am very happy with the Iridium units.

As to changing my OEM plugs at 8K, I have the 5 year Honda warranty on this scoot and since Honda is adamant about a 8K change, felt it would be a good idea...
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: New Plugs installed!   New Plugs installed! I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 01, 2013 9:54 pm

Have you balanced (synched) the throttle plates yet? I have checked the synch on 5 different Silverwings, and every one of them was out by at least 5-10mm of vacuum. After proper synching, the guys I did it for said their Swing ran much smoother afterwards, with a more stable idle and better throttle response. Synching the throttle plates will be more beneficial than any spark plug change IMHO, unless of course the plugs are so worn out that they're misfiring.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: New Plugs installed!   New Plugs installed! I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 01, 2013 10:10 pm

I replaced my OEM plugs at 8,000 miles with OEM plugs. Yesterday I hit 48,000miles on the ones I put in at 8,000, so 40,000 on the replacements. I had thought about trying  iridium plugs but so far my plugs have always looked as good as the ones pictured in the post above. I will be putting a new belt on sometime this week so I will check the plugs again then. I really don't think I needed to replace them at 8,000 but I wanted to be safe. I kept the old plugs under the seat incase I had any problems and have never needed them.

bigbird, maybe I will also check the sync of the throttle plates when I'm putting the new belt on.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: New Plugs installed!   New Plugs installed! I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 01, 2013 11:25 pm

model28a wrote:

bigbird, maybe I will also check the sync of the throttle plates when I'm putting the new belt on.
Hey Roger.
Wait for me to come down to FL again and we can make another video. cheers
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: New Plugs installed!   New Plugs installed! I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 02, 2013 8:42 am

model28a wrote:
I replaced my OEM plugs at 8,000 miles with OEM plugs. Yesterday I hit 48,000miles on the ones I put in at 8,000, so 40,000 on the replacements. I had thought about trying  iridium plugs but so far my plugs have always looked as good as the ones pictured in the post above. I will be putting a new belt on sometime this week so I will check the plugs again then. I really don't think I needed to replace them at 8,000 but I wanted to be safe. I kept the old plugs under the seat incase I had any problems and have never needed them.

Iridium plugs will improve the speed at which your money will leave your wallet. That kind of performance is measurable.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Plugs installed!   New Plugs installed! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Plugs installed!
Page 1 of 1