Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
looking foward to friday but then I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Drive belt prices
looking foward to friday but then I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 8:28 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
looking foward to friday but then I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
looking foward to friday but then I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:16 pm

» New to Me Swing
looking foward to friday but then I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
looking foward to friday but then I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
looking foward to friday but then I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
looking foward to friday but then I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
looking foward to friday but then I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
looking foward to friday but then I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

looking foward to friday but then

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
mr fish
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
mr fish

Number of posts : 276
Registration date : 2009-03-23

looking foward to friday but then Empty
PostSubject: looking foward to friday but then   looking foward to friday but then I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 4:36 am

Just putting out some frustration before it happens ....I am looking foward to i ride on friday the weather here as averaged about 30 all week so thought while the missus was busy the kids at school I would get get some milage done, maybe down to the coast put my toes in the sea etc just looked at the weather for friday AND thunder storms Sad (I hope their wrong)

Think i need to ship my scoot over to the u.s and ride with you guys dont see many clouds in your pics
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Riding with the wind...   looking foward to friday but then I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 10:42 am

John, it has probably averaged 38 here the last few weeks... we did have a thunderstorm move through late yesterday. lots of wind about 1.5cm of rain. Cooled things off a bunch. Gonna be hot again today. I am fixing to pull my scoot under a shade tree and change the spark plugs and air filter. Drink a little ice tea, listen to some blue grass, wait for evening and maybe take a little tour around the neighborhood. I don't live near a sea, well, it is only about 500 miles to the gulf. I probably will ride down to Saline River about a mile from here and dip my toes in a shoal. I will think of you.

It looks like there aren't a lot of clouds where you are standing for your avatar. Are we looking north or south to your back?
Gary
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3791
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: looking foward to friday but then   looking foward to friday but then I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 10:54 am

38? Ye Gods!
It's been 33-ish in the garden and I had to trim the hedge today but 38!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

PostSubject: Heat can be a state of mind...   looking foward to friday but then I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 11:01 am

Mike... 38 here is pretty common... humidity is always near 80 - 90% this time of year. Heat index of 43 is not unusual. Very uncomfortable. Time to stay in and let the wife do the hedges when it gets that warm....
Gary
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: looking foward to friday but then   looking foward to friday but then I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 11:05 am

Outrageous! LOL!

15 miles away on the coast it's 10 degrees lower.

Humidity's a killer - I guess the benefits of living there outweigh the disadvantages.
I can't get over just how damp it is here in the evenings, in spite of the heat - yestrday we were in the garden having a ciggie and our breath was coming out in clouds, even before we lit up, and it was 17 degrees. Lots of water in Belgium.
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

PostSubject: Weather   looking foward to friday but then I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 11:35 am

Yeah you are right about advantages here... the bad days last just a couple of months, then the leaves on the trees start to change colors before dropping off and then we get a couple of months of near freezing weather. Then comes the months that the grass gets green and the trees bloom. Then it get hot again and we do this over again... a lot of US has one season... either always warm or always cool. They miss having spring flowers or snow in winter. Not saying their weather is bad, just consistent. The variety of have four distinct seasons is worth the hot humid days of summer. Although, if I had to give up one season, it would be this one.

I remember once about 30 years ago meeting a man up town and having a conversation with him. It was in early February and the weather was beautiful... warm sunny days... I couldn't have asked for more comfortable weather to work in in the business I had. I said to the fellow... "Isn't this great weather?" He replied " It is going to put me out of business". He was a farmer and raised strawberries. He and I knew there was a period of frost yet to come and would kill every plant that was beginning to bloom. And it did. He lost all of his crop that year. That taught me a very important lesson that day. It is a good thing man can't control the weather. Here, at least, cycles are necessary. Freezes kill insects and pests and help break up the soil for spring planting. Summer gives the temperatures that we need for many things to grow. Fall ... well, fall is the cycle that allows us to harvest the crops and enjoy the many colors God paints on the trees. Winter is the time of year that brings white Christmases and Thanksgiving. And FOOTBALL .... football actually starts in the fall here I just forgot that until I thought about the winter. It is sure too hot today to think of football.
You have a different kind of football there. Not even close to the same sport. That is another topic....
I have rattled enough, I gotta go change the air filter and plugs on my scoot... Have a great day everyone ..

Gary
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: looking foward to friday but then   looking foward to friday but then I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 11:56 am

I can't reply to that, except to say you've summed it up so well.
Thanks!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: RE: looking forward to friday but then   looking foward to friday but then I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 7:46 pm

30 degrees???, yikes. I do hope you guys are talking "degrees celsius". I know we yanks are about the only ones in the world to use fahrenheit so when I see 30 degrees I think "brrrr it's below freezing". It's been in the low to mid 90s (fahrenheit) (mid 30s celsius) here the past few weeks. We had a a spell of rain over that past month or so but lately it has been dry and hot.

I must say, even on days when it's in the 90s (oF) and I ride either in stop-and-go traffic downtown or at highway speeds on the interstate, I have never seen my temp gauge on the Swing budge from the norm. My Harley gets uncomfortable to sit on at stoplights during this time of year. Chestnuts should only be roasting during the yuletide seasons.
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

PostSubject: Is it hot yet?   looking foward to friday but then I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 8:21 pm

Robin, I am surprised to hear it gets to 90 in North Carolina. Yall being on the coast and all. We midlanders are the ones with the heat and humidity.
I know we use the english system for measurements. Only because "we always have done it that way". It does sound cooler when temps are given in C degrees. Helps me feel cool on hot summer days.
Gary
Back to top Go down
mr fish
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
mr fish

PostSubject: Re: looking foward to friday but then   looking foward to friday but then I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 8:51 pm

Quote :
It looks like there aren't a lot of clouds where you are standing

Thats because the pic was taken on Miami beach Laughing
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: looking foward to friday but then   looking foward to friday but then I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 1:18 am

mr fish wrote:
Thats because the pic was taken on Miami beach Laughing

I have been there during the "cooler" season ... and it was still hot and humid Razz
Back to top Go down
mr fish
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
mr fish

PostSubject: Re: looking foward to friday but then   looking foward to friday but then I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 6:14 am

it was april last yeay so reasonably hot (must update the photo as i have grown my hair back so less scary)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: re: looking forward to Friday but then...   looking foward to friday but then I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 10:47 am

Opalsboy wrote:
Robin, I am surprised to hear it gets to 90 in North Carolina. Yall being on the coast and all. We midlanders are the ones with the heat and humidity.

Unfortunately only the coastal regions of NC benefit from the sea breeze. NC is about 350 miles east-west. In the west are the Appalachian Mtns which enjoy mild temps in summer (70s - 80s) but very cold in the winter. The majority of the state lies between the Mtns and the coast. Our prevailing winds are from the west which blow a long way over a large, hot, dry continental mass so most of our weather is dictated by that. Typical summer temps in the mid-state are in the high 80s and 90s with high humidity. However, winter temps are mild (mostly 40s dipping below freezing on ocassion) so the riding season is much extended.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: looking foward to friday but then   looking foward to friday but then I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 6:41 pm

...been only around 60F (14degC) during the day for the last few days. And it's 4th of July time!
Back to top Go down
mr fish
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
mr fish

PostSubject: Re: looking foward to friday but then   looking foward to friday but then I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 4:24 am

just looked out of the window and guess what Sad its raining (so i will ride monday)
Back to top Go down
mr fish
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
mr fish

PostSubject: Re: looking foward to friday but then   looking foward to friday but then I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 11:18 am

Found a window in the weather and went for it at 11 am just got back 3pm stopped once for fuel didnt get wet cheers did 140 mile round trip and am now in pain ok up until about 2 hours then after that got more and more uncomfortable si guess i need to take more breaks or add a tenere to the garage (just off to convince the wife its for health reasons) Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Bernardo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Bernardo

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2008-12-25

PostSubject: Re: looking foward to friday but then   looking foward to friday but then I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 11:39 am

mr fish wrote:
Found a window in the weather and went for it at 11 am just got back 3pm stopped once for fuel didnt get wet cheers did 140 mile round trip and am now in pain ok up until about 2 hours then after that got more and more uncomfortable si guess i need to take more breaks or add a tenere to the garage (just off to convince the wife its for health reasons) Rolling Eyes

Get yourself an air-hawk seat... That'll fix the long ride nether regions pain syndrome....

OH and good idea about the Tenere.... What about a Dominator or Africa Twin? There are bargains to be had out there..... (nevermind a 140bhp bandit!) Basketball
Back to top Go down
mr fish
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
mr fish

PostSubject: Re: looking foward to friday but then   looking foward to friday but then I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 12:26 pm

It was more my back neck and shoulders i figured its there is not enough distance from seat to footboards so my spine takes most of the weight felt better when sitting on the butt rest but then too much stretch to the bars (so an arm extention or leg reduction op is the answer Smile )wouldnt want to do anything to drastic lol....
I used to have a kawasaki klr when i got uncomfortable i just stood up for while(dont like stopping too much once im going im going if you know what i mean) :m/c:

p.s I do like the africa twin but if i had the money a ktm 990 adventurer would be next to the wing
Back to top Go down
Bernardo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Bernardo

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2008-12-25

PostSubject: Re: looking foward to friday but then   looking foward to friday but then I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 4:04 pm

mr fish wrote:
It was more my back neck and shoulders i figured its there is not enough distance from seat to footboards so my spine takes most of the weight felt better when sitting on the butt rest but then too much stretch to the bars (so an arm extention or leg reduction op is the answer Smile )wouldnt want to do anything to drastic lol....
I used to have a kawasaki klr when i got uncomfortable i just stood up for while(dont like stopping too much once im going im going if you know what i mean) :m/c:

p.s I do like the africa twin but if i had the money a ktm 990 adventurer would be next to the wing

That's a pity about the neck and shoulder ache

You need to check Adam's S'wing. He's got a different seat with the butt stop removed and instead a back rest... He sits further back as a result..... Hey Adam have you posted any photos?

What some folks do is turn the butt stop into a back rest by raising it on "stilts". But before you do anything drastic, have you tried removing the butt stop? That'll enable you to sit a bit further back...

As to the KTM Adventurer, that is one lovely machine.... Pricey though.... A second hand Suzuki V-Strom 1000 is more in my price league..... though have not had a go on one yet.... The BMW GS 1200 is pretty awesome, and I have had a go on one, and was amazed at just how good it was for a big trailie.... sadly even the second hand ones are way to pricey methinks....
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: looking foward to friday but then   looking foward to friday but then I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 5:33 pm

mr fish wrote:
It was more my back neck and shoulders i figured its there is not enough distance from seat to footboards so my spine takes most of the weight felt better when sitting on the butt rest but then too much stretch to the bars

I have the Utopia ( http://www.utpr.com/silverwingnew.html ) adjustable backrest which helps the maximum distance from the floorboards with full support of my back and spine. My back, neck and shoulders have never been a problem since I installed it.
Back to top Go down
mr fish
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
mr fish

PostSubject: Re: looking foward to friday but then   looking foward to friday but then I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 6:16 pm

I dont think its where i sit I think its the fact that my knees are too high ive tried removing the butt rest but i sit on the hard bits so again uncomfortable maybe a sheep skin and backrest may solve the problem
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: looking foward to friday but then   looking foward to friday but then I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 11:12 pm

mr fish wrote:
ive tried removing the butt rest but i sit on the hard bits so again uncomfortable maybe a sheep skin and backrest may solve the problem

I used the Airhawk over the bits and then covered with an Alaskan Sheepskin ... so I have not had any problem with the bits. The Utopia backrest keeps me slightly forward which prevents me from backing into the bits.

Have you though drilling out the rivets and removing the bits??
Back to top Go down
mr fish
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
mr fish

PostSubject: Re: looking foward to friday but then   looking foward to friday but then I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 3:54 am

I think i need to work on the seat guess im just cheap lol i will look into air and sheep combi

thanks for the tips guys
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: looking forward to friday but then   looking foward to friday but then I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 10:58 am

I'm 6'2". I removed the butt rest and like the extra room. I also have a sheepskin to cover the plastic parts and protect from summer butt rash on those 90 degree day long rides.

2 or 3 days a week I travel a total of 180 miles with a couple of stops in between. After about 45-50 minutes my back begins to hurt as well. The pain is usually located right beneath my left shoulder blade. It seems no matter how I shift my position the stress is still there. So I end up sitting straight up at attention for a while with legs under me, then slouching easy-rider style with legs forward for awhile. I also switch foot position often, one foot forward and one back. Seems nothing relieves the strain on that part of my back.

I do not notice the pain when I ride my harley which has a lower seat, mini ape handlebars, and forward foot controls. My lower back is more supported since it is a deep bucket seat and my arms are held at a higher level due to the mini apes.

Now that I am sitting here analyzing it, the Swing seat seems higher in relation to my handlebars compared to the Harley. Also, I think my feet are positioned more forward on the Harley, moving my body closer to the handlebars so I can sit more upright. Maybe I am stooped over more just below my shoulders on the Swing in an effort to reach the handle bars with my butt being shifted back farther on the seat.

Anyway, all I know is I still prefer to ride the Swing on those long trips. It just seems so effortless to ride and tires me much less. Plus it is a heck of a lot cheaper to feed and maintain.
Back to top Go down
mr fish
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
mr fish

PostSubject: Re: looking foward to friday but then   looking foward to friday but then I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 7:12 pm

I have exactly the same pain in my shoulder even when driving cars or trains for long distances ,I saw a chiropractitioner(I think thats the spelling) and he beat the s**t out of me which made it better for about a year.... I also move around alot for my leg pains(I am not falling apart honest)too many bike crashes and soccer games...........Just remembered have a self inflating camping pillow could this be a cheapskate airhawk?(I will keep you posted)
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: looking foward to friday but then   looking foward to friday but then I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 7:56 pm

mr fish wrote:
Just remembered have a self inflating camping pillow could this be a cheapskate airhawk?(I will keep you posted)

If I sell you a "used" Airhawk and a "used" Alaskan Sheepskin and ship the to you in the UK .... how would the VAT be determined??
Back to top Go down
mr fish
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
mr fish

PostSubject: Re: looking foward to friday but then   looking foward to friday but then I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 4:09 am

By not telling the taxman Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: looking foward to friday but then   looking foward to friday but then I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

looking foward to friday but then
Page 1 of 1