Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
new tires? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
new tires? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
new tires? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
new tires? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
new tires? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
new tires? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
new tires? I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
new tires? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
new tires? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
new tires? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

new tires?

Go down 
+7
hotwings
model28a
tarmacburner2
Old Limey
agreat
buddy19520
stockdoct
11 posters
AuthorMessage
stockdoct
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-10-09

new tires? Empty
PostSubject: new tires?   new tires? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 15, 2013 10:07 pm

I'm a 1 year S'wing rider with a used 2009, but only 4500 miles on it. I'm thinking about new tires (these ARE 4 years old, despite the low mileage). I ride 40+ miles a day, and Im interested in safety more than speed or gas mileage.

Any thoughts on what brand tire I might buy?
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

new tires? Empty
PostSubject: Re: new tires?   new tires? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2013 12:31 am

Try using the search function. This topic has at least one opinion per belly button.

My recent experience is that mich power pure gets lower miles per tire than any other I've tried.
Back to top Go down
agreat
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2013-04-03

new tires? Empty
PostSubject: Re: new tires?   new tires? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2013 9:28 am

Ah yes but the Michelin Power Pure are very sticky (great grip - safe even in the wet), the guy who fitted mine remarked that the tire (rear) would turn me into a hooligan.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

new tires? Empty
PostSubject: Re: new tires?   new tires? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2013 12:20 pm

As buddy 19520 says lots of opinions on tyres. I've tried the Metzelers, Diablo's and Michelin. I'm back on Bridgestones, i think Mr Honda knew what he was doing.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

new tires? Empty
PostSubject: Re: new tires?   new tires? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2013 12:55 pm

There is always a compromise between mileage and grip when it comes to tyres. As Old Limey says, there are lots of opinions on tyres. I have the Metzeler FeelFree Wintec tyres on mine and I'm very happy with them, they handle the wet very well and I'm confident with them.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down

new tires? Empty
PostSubject: Re: new tires?   new tires? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2013 2:36 pm

tarmacburner2 wrote:
I'm confident with them.

That feeling is one of the most important factors in tyre choice Smile 
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

new tires? Empty
PostSubject: Re: new tires?   new tires? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2013 3:40 pm

welcome applause welcome 
Back to top Go down
agreat
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2013-04-03

new tires? Empty
PostSubject: Re: new tires?   new tires? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2013 6:09 pm

Ok I never found a problem with the Hoop's, perhaps a little more slippy on wet metal, painted lines and road snakes.

I'll just figure out which suits me best when the mileage is totted up for each, but I do like the grip of the Mitch (whether its worth it [probably] well see).

I cover around 1k Miles a month mostly commuting on crap London roads & then a blast to the Pub (sorry Home).

Trial and No Errors so far
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

new tires? Empty
PostSubject: Re: new tires?   new tires? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2013 9:37 pm

Old Limey wrote:
As buddy 19520 says lots of opinions on tyres. I've tried the Metzelers, Diablo's and Michelin. I'm back on Bridgestones, i think Mr Honda knew what he was doing.
Im almost ready for new tires and im thinking the same. Honda probably knows best. Think i'll stick with the oem hoops!
Back to top Go down
stockdoct
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

new tires? Empty
PostSubject: Re: new tires?   new tires? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2013 11:34 pm

I checked, mine are IRC tires, and I notice they slip a bit on wet sewer grates and tar snakes. No other problems tho, in 4000 miles including Interstate highway riding. What are "hoops" ?
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
new tires? 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

new tires? Empty
PostSubject: Re: new tires?   new tires? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2013 3:24 am

stockdoct wrote:
I checked, mine are IRC tires, and I notice they slip a bit on wet sewer grates and tar snakes. No other problems tho, in 4000 miles including Interstate highway riding.   What are "hoops" ?
Bridgestone Hoops tires/tyres.
Back to top Go down

new tires? Empty
PostSubject: Re: new tires?   new tires? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2013 4:45 am

Hi Yo wrote:
stockdoct wrote:
I checked, mine are IRC tires, and I notice they slip a bit on wet sewer grates and tar snakes. No other problems tho, in 4000 miles including Interstate highway riding.   What are "hoops" ?
 Bridgestone Hoops  tires/tyres.

I thought "Hoops" might hve been an American generic term for tires in general Embarassed  so I gurgled it & found ... http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/5/32/404/14948/ITEM/Bridgestone-Hoop-OEM-Replacement-Rear-Tire.aspx
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

new tires? Empty
PostSubject: Re: new tires?   new tires? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2013 4:54 am

agreat wrote:
Ok I never found a problem with the Hoop's, perhaps a little more slippy on wet metal, painted lines and road snakes.

I don't know of a tyre that doesn't slip on those surfaces, adjusting your riding style to cope with these 'obstacles' is the answer.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
ebear695
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2013-07-11

new tires? Empty
PostSubject: Re: new tires?   new tires? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2013 1:34 pm

Has anyone use Shinko's on their Swing. I just put a set on our Burgman. Happy with them so far, less than half the price of the OEM stone THs. Cant really tell the difference between the radial and bias. We'll see about the mileage from the Shinko's
Back to top Go down
ebear695
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

new tires? Empty
PostSubject: Re: new tires?   new tires? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2013 1:36 pm

Has anyone use Shinko's on their Swing. I just put a set on our Burgman. Happy with them so far, less than half the price of the OEM stone THs. Cant really tell the difference between the radial and bias. We'll see about the mileage from the Shinko's
Back to top Go down
ebear695
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

new tires? Empty
PostSubject: Re: new tires?   new tires? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2013 1:37 pm

Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

new tires? Empty
PostSubject: Re: new tires?   new tires? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2013 1:41 pm

I've had the OEM Hoops, 2 sets of Diablo's, and now the Metlzer and I like the Metlzer and Diablo's better than the Hoops.  They stick very good to the pavement and I got about 10,000 with the Diablo's.  I'm not sure about the miles on the Metlzer's yet since I have only put about 5,000 miles on them but they are wearing very good.  Just my opinion though.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

new tires? Empty
PostSubject: Re: new tires?   new tires? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2013 2:14 pm

JeffR. Pavement in England, is the sidewalk in U.S.A. Surprised 
Back to top Go down

new tires? Empty
PostSubject: Re: new tires?   new tires? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2013 5:52 pm

ebear695 wrote:

I put Shinko's on my swing the first time it needed new tires. The rear didn't seem to last long at all, maybe 4k miles before you could see white threads showing through.

The front was excellent however, it is still on my swing, lasting through the Shinko rear, a Michelin Power Sport and now my rear tire is a Michelin City Grip.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

new tires? Empty
PostSubject: Re: new tires?   new tires? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2013 9:55 pm

Old Limey wrote:
JeffR. Pavement in England, is the sidewalk in U.S.A. Surprised 

Limey,

Are the streets there like the streets in Holland? When I went to Amsterdam for the first time I thought we were walking on a sidewalk until a car honked their horn at us. My wife, who is dutch, said we are walking on a street. It was the size of a sidewalk in many places in the states.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

new tires? Empty
PostSubject: Re: new tires?   new tires? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 1:00 pm

Not really. In England the Pavement (sidewalk) is clearly seperate from the traffic, unless you are a cyclist who, although it is illegal, think they have the right to use them as their personal roadway. Which causes a lot of bad feeling.
Back to top Go down
ebear695
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

new tires? Empty
PostSubject: Re: new tires?   new tires? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 2:04 pm

Here in SoCal we have the same problem with joggers, they think asphalt pavement is softer that concrete sidewalk, guess that's why they get hit alot Smile
Back to top Go down
stockdoct
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

new tires? Empty
PostSubject: Re: new tires?   new tires? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 2:56 pm

Thanks for all your comments!

Based on the positive reviews, I decided to get Metzlers put on my Silverwing. I hope to get as good luck and as many smiles with them as you've gotten with your Hoops, Bridgestones and other Metzlers

Mike
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

new tires? Empty
PostSubject: Re: new tires?   new tires? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 8:57 pm

R
stockdoct wrote:
Thanks for all your comments!

Based on the positive reviews, I decided to get Metzlers put on my Silverwing.   I hope to get as good luck and as many smiles with them as you've gotten with your Hoops, Bridgestones and other Metzlers

Mike

Hoops are Bridgestones!
Back to top Go down
LN
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2012-08-18

new tires? Empty
PostSubject: Re: new tires?   new tires? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 11:48 pm

I am sooooo personally done with the Bridgestone on the front. The stupid, bumpy diamond pattern comes out on all of them and the bike with make a horrible noise and vibrate because of it.

P.S> If you do go DS, I highly recommend the "Ride On" juice and a wireless tire pressure monitor. Will not fix all your flats but will actively balance while riding and help with most small nails. Since you will have no walls to ride on if you lose air, you have a very, very short window to stop if something happens. With my 145/ Vredestein Winter, I can't even put the bike on the stand if flat. But on the upper side, the grip the stopping the water/ snow evac ( yeap I've done the snow...stupid mountain !) are highly superior to any motorcycle tire.

Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

new tires? Empty
PostSubject: Re: new tires?   new tires? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

new tires?
Page 1 of 1