Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Left brake micro-switch
new tires - which and where I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
new tires - which and where I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
new tires - which and where I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 8:11 am

» Silverwing Brakes
new tires - which and where I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Yesterday at 6:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
new tires - which and where I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
new tires - which and where I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
new tires - which and where I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
new tires - which and where I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
new tires - which and where I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
new tires - which and where I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

new tires - which and where

Go down 
+9
DaveR
Hammy
masscoot
john grinsel
honda_silver
Somerled
toolboxjesse
bigbird
tubeck
13 posters
AuthorMessage
tubeck
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2011-08-10

new tires - which and where Empty
PostSubject: new tires - which and where   new tires - which and where I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 1:33 pm

Now that I have punctured my rear tire and filled it with flat tire fix, i am thinking of new tires. How much should i expect tp pay? and which are best ?
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: new tires - which and where   new tires - which and where I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 2:25 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-05-13

PostSubject: Re: new tires - which and where   new tires - which and where I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 2:48 pm

I was happy with the prices at motorcycle-superstore.com and shipping was free. I was annoyed a week after I placed the order (Michelin Pilot Sport SC) there was a sale and they wouldn't honor the previous purchase.
I almost ordered from dennis kirk but they wanted to charge a $5 surcharge per tire and motorcycle superstore didn't/

I paid around $110 for both tires together.
Back to top Go down
Somerled
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Somerled

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2011-06-02

PostSubject: Re: new tires - which and where   new tires - which and where I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 3:57 pm

Another vote for Motorcycle Superstore. However, I bought Avon Viper Stryke tires. These tires will last a shorter time than others, but if you love the turns and want a sure grip at speed I highly recommend them.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: new tires - which and where   new tires - which and where I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 4:30 pm

Motorcycle tire or Darkside (car) tire? study
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: new tires - which and where   new tires - which and where I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 4:38 pm

honda_silver wrote:
Motorcycle tire or Darkside (car) tire?

deadhorse
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: new tires - which and where   new tires - which and where I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 8:18 pm

Look on the Honda decal, I think under the seat. IRC and Bridgestone are the approved and tested tire by Honda. I used both and they work fine.

Dennis Kirk ok on price, over $100 order free shipping---I know about the $5 charge per tire............But if you are not going to or cannot mount them yourself, try your Honda Dealer=sell and mount deals I hope. Every body has thought on tires but awful hard to outthink Honda. Some dealers cannot balance SilverWing Rear.

Doesn't matter what you do SilverWing remains scooter.
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: new tires - which and where   new tires - which and where I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 8:32 pm

Another vote for Motorcycle Superstore, my recomendation would be the Metzeler Feelfree tires. $130 for both + free shipping. This was my first set of Metzelers and they have over 8200 miles on them now. I figure they have about another 800 miles before hitting the marker. They have held proper air pressure their entire lifetime and have worn evenly. They have delivered 2k well handled miles than my previous Bridgestones.
Back to top Go down
Hammy
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Hammy

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: new tires - which and where   new tires - which and where I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 9:44 pm

I ride a lot of interstate but also a few twisties. My Pirelli Diablos have worked very well for me, handle twisties very nicely and aren't that expensive either. I regularly get about 8-10k off the rear and about 12-14k off the front. I got mine from Motorcycle Superstore too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ezridersscooterclub.com
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: new tires - which and where   new tires - which and where I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 9:56 pm

masscoot wrote:
my recomendation would be the Metzeler Feelfree tires.

I would be curious what the front tire wear mileages would be.
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: new tires - which and where   new tires - which and where I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 11:46 pm

I have had great service out of my Metzelers. Good on wet roads and hold well in the curves.
Back to top Go down
tubeck
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2011-08-10

PostSubject: Re: new tires - which and where   new tires - which and where I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 9:29 am

someone asked if my swing was a darkside (car) tire ? whats that?
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: new tires - which and where   new tires - which and where I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 10:05 am

Some people put a car tyre on the rear wheel of their scooter.
There are one or two which seem to fit quite well.
Opinion is divided as to whether it is beneficial, safe or legal.
You pays yer money.....!
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: new tires - which and where   new tires - which and where I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 11:03 am

honda_silver wrote:
masscoot wrote:
my recomendation would be the Metzeler Feelfree tires.

I would be curious what the front tire wear mileages would be.

I'm not a fan of running them past the wear markers, I will be replacing them (F&R) together. My feeling is that at almost 10K miles they have done their job and will begin to deteriorate quicker.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: new tires - which and where   new tires - which and where I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 11:55 am

MikeO wrote:

beneficial

I have documented in other Darkside threads the benefits of Darkside tire for me.

Yesterday a new member of the board Lucian ( I hope he will post and give a full details ) told me his adventure with his Darkside tire and an oil slick without any knowledge or warning that was 2-3 car lengths long. His first knowledge of the oil slick was the Silverwing started swerving ... he let off the gas and let the Darkside tire do the rest.

safe

I have ~46,000 miles on the Silverwing with Darkside tires.

The Sumitomo Darkside tire lasted ~40,000 miles ( 2.5 years for me ) ... which would have been ~5 rear tires.

It is not safe running rear tires below their tire wear marks.

legal

In USA both motorcycle and car tires must be DOT approved. Progressive (and other insurance companies have been contacted) and allow for car tires. There are no problems with inspections ... in fact I point out the car tire Cool .

So Darkside tires are legal in the USA.

I would also suggest reading http://lifeisaroad.com/stories/2004/10/27/theDarkSide.html

When reading Darkside discussions, it is always helpful to break down the answers to

1) People with actual darkside experience
2) People with no darkside experience
Back to top Go down
MaxB
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
MaxB

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2009-10-06

PostSubject: Re: new tires - which and where   new tires - which and where I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 4:08 pm

I sure like my new metzeler feeel frees. I havent had them long less than 500 miles. But they sure feel good in the corners. And are less noisy than the Oems that I had.

MaxB
Back to top Go down
Snipzster
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-08-14

PostSubject: Re: new tires - which and where   new tires - which and where I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 10:50 pm

One more vote for the Perelli Diablos! Got mine at MC Warehouse~~ $102 to my door. I will be intersted to see how they handle the miles; I got 20K out of my stock tires.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: new tires - which and where   new tires - which and where I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 7:31 pm

honda_silver wrote:
MikeO wrote:

... Yesterday a new member of the board Lucian ( I hope he will post and give a full details ) told me his adventure with his Darkside tire and an oil slick without any knowledge or warning that was 2-3 car lengths long. His first knowledge of the oil slick was the Silverwing started swerving ... he let off the gas and let the Darkside tire do the rest.

When reading Darkside discussions, it is always helpful to break down the answers to

1) People with actual darkside experience
2) People with no darkside experience

Yes the car tire is an amazing thing, as we can read it saved a life. Because as we all know the gyroscopic action of a spinning wheel and tire (not under the influence of power while on a slippery surface) is not present in a motorcycle tire.

But of course I could be stretching the truth as I may not be using a car tire on my motorcycles. Or I might be telling the truth about physics even though...

And again, although he wasn't talking about car tires on motorcycles I'm sure the great Frank Zappa would agree it applies here, "you might not believe this little fella but it'll cure your asthma too."

And by the way, was it an oil slick without any knowledge? "Stupid oil slick," has never been more appropriate. Laughing

Last edited by jdeereanton on Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:01 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Keep forgetting to use the stupid laughing icon.)
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: new tires - which and where   new tires - which and where I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

new tires - which and where
Page 1 of 1