Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Going camping, Extra tie point suggestions? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 9:09 am

» Drive belt prices
Going camping, Extra tie point suggestions? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Going camping, Extra tie point suggestions? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Going camping, Extra tie point suggestions? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
Going camping, Extra tie point suggestions? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Going camping, Extra tie point suggestions? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Going camping, Extra tie point suggestions? I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Going camping, Extra tie point suggestions? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Going camping, Extra tie point suggestions? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Going camping, Extra tie point suggestions? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Going camping, Extra tie point suggestions?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
stanly
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2013-04-05

Going camping, Extra tie point suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Going camping, Extra tie point suggestions?   Going camping, Extra tie point suggestions? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 3:13 pm

I have a smallish Givi topcase (monokey) and backrest. Have looped straps around the case/mount, but seems like a temp solution for around town at best.

Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Going camping, Extra tie point suggestions?   Going camping, Extra tie point suggestions? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 4:15 pm

Aero stich catalog has clips that clip to seat(I also use self tapping screws to make sure they stay put. About $15 for 4.

allows bags on seat and you can still raise seat then packed. Clips from Japan...so they work.
Back to top Go down
stanly
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2013-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Going camping, Extra tie point suggestions?   Going camping, Extra tie point suggestions? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 11:47 pm

the reviews make me wish stich dimensioned these things and gave load ratings though.
I found the clips - http://www.aerostich.com/review/product/view/id/8445/

Also these-  http://www.aerostich.com/review/product/list/id/1480/category/6/
at first thought these were answer, but WT*- guy says he had tough time getting hook through the eye on these.

Thanks John

I was thinking more of a way to strap the mound of gear back against the backrest/top case to stop the side motion, though I do like the option of an extra set of tie  points further forward.
Have been looking at clips & Ds as way to get tie points at those higher spots.
Has anyone had a mounting LATCH FAILURE on their top case? is there a known load limit on the  part? (mine is red plastic incase there are different ones)

Maybe my  list(short) would give idea of the loads involved....
Take:
Tent + airmattress + sleeping bag
Xtra sm tarp + poles + stakes
Hatchet + bow saw + nails
Cord
Single burner camp stove (propane) + pan
soft cooler

Water jugs
Towel + washcloth
Soap and holder
Sunscreen and Mosquito lotion
Gloves
change of clothes + more socks
boonie hat
book
maps
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Going camping, Extra tie point suggestions?   Going camping, Extra tie point suggestions? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 5:54 am

Carrying stuff on bike/scooter isn't hard.  Cords will keep stuff on with very little tension.    Bag had better be waterproof--Ort liebl again from Aerostich, work well and last about 10 years in daily use.

"tank bag"....can be made from just about any flexible bag that will fit in hump----I have two, Givi and a photo/flight bag I got in Korea.  Velcro on the bottom of bag and on the bike work.  I've carried everything from dog to beer---no fall offs.

Duct tape---if-cords don't work, you can tape stuff on and cut off at nite----I don't care how experienced you are it takes several days into a trip to get organized to get load right.

Recent Sun-Sun 2950 miles trip Chattanooga-Quebec and back, my junk fit in the Ortlieb bags including water proof tank bag, on TU250 Suzuki---nothing fell off----what bothers me in load touching back---fixed, roll of duct take could have fixed quicker.

The seat clips work---on my Burgman 400 right now.

Keep load light and low---passenger hand rail good to hook on to---I lived one 15 year or so period, where I bought nothing that couldn't get home on bike/scooter---great way to live.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Going camping, Extra tie point suggestions?   Going camping, Extra tie point suggestions? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 7:23 am

I've always found the rear grab rails on my scooters to be the ideal tie points for gear bags. Like Mr Grinsel says Ortlieb bags are the way to go, I've been using a couple of different sized Ortlieb rack packs since my BMW GS riding days and I find them better suited to scooters than bikes. Place the bag on the passenger seat, secure the rack pack end straps through the grab rails either side, lock the buckle on the strap to the bag, cinch in tight and you're done. The bag is secure and doesn't move about, there's no need for bungees and the straps won't damage your paintwork. I've since covered my straps with towelling tubes from a car bike rack, just because I had a few pairs in the garage I bought cheaply.

I also use the original neck Ortlieb bags, they're ideal to store bike gear we don't need to wear when parked up in towns and cities in hot weather. They also go on the rear seat and are covered with a Pacsafe net which is locked to the rear grab rails.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Going camping, Extra tie point suggestions?   Going camping, Extra tie point suggestions? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 7:37 am

These are probably similar to the Ortlieb bags that Meldrew has.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Highlander-Tri-Laminate-Dry-Bag-16-29-44-Litre-waterproof-Canoe-Kayak-Kit-Bag-/330692675896?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Canoeing_Kayaking_ET&var=&hash=item4cfed1c938

Obviously, this is Ebay Uk but I bet Ebay.COM has something similar. I use adjustable bungees to secure bag. My bag is in a Pacsafe mesh, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pacsafe-Stuffsafe-80L-Secure-Waterproof-Stuff-Sack-TRAVEL-SECURITY-Black-RRP-/290913906321?pt=UK_Tickets_Travel_Luggage_CA&hash=item43bbd1ee91 (but the 55 litre version). I use a wire cable to secure this to the scooter. I carry my tent etc in the bag so that is the bag I really don't want someone stealing.

I use adjustable bungees to hold the bag onto the grab-rails of the scooter.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Going camping, Extra tie point suggestions?   Going camping, Extra tie point suggestions? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Going camping, Extra tie point suggestions?
Page 1 of 1