Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» checking the oil
First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Today at 10:11 am

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 12:04 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

» Silverwing Brakes
First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Fri May 10, 2024 6:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing

Go down 
+11
Silverwing28681
Meldrew
justdon
model28a
tarmacburner2
johnd
GHM-PM
"Hi Yo"
Guy
rodenbach
moosedaisy
15 posters
AuthorMessage
moosedaisy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2012-05-22

First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  Empty
PostSubject: First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing    First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 9:19 pm

I'm finally taking my Silverwing on a trip! In the past few weeks I've been on ebay getting all my camping gear. Now that I've got it all together its time to hit the road! I'm not going very far. Just from my house in Charleston SC down to Fernandina beach Florida. I'll be taking back roads and stopping to grab geocaches on the way. This little trip will bring me through Beaufort Sc, Savannah, Jekyll island, and finally to Fort rClinch state park. Hopefully I'll have some good pics to post when I get back.

Last edited by moosedaisy on Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
rodenbach
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
rodenbach

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing    First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 5:48 am

"Not very far" is a relative notion: I estimate your trip will be about 300 Miles. Than is 1.5x longer than my country is :-)
Have a safe journey and enjoy the Florida sun!
Back to top Go down
moosedaisy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing    First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2012 4:29 pm

Ended up being 445 miles. I'll post some pics one I go through them all.
Back to top Go down
moosedaisy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing    First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2012 5:52 pm

Made it back on one piece. Here are some pics.

First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  Jekyll-1

First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  Jekyll-2

First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  Jekyll-3

First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  Jekyll-4

First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  Jekyll-5

First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  Jekyll-6

First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  Jekyll-7

First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  Jekyll-8

First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  Jekyll-9

First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  Jekyll-10

First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  Jekyll-11

First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  Jekyll-12

First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  Jekyll-13

First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  Jekyll-14

First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  Jekyll-15

First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  Jekyll-16

First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  Jekyll-17

First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  Jekyll-18

First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  Jekyll-19

First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  Jekyll-20

First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  Jekyll-21

First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  Jekyll-22

First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  Jekyll-23

First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  Jekyll-24

First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  Jekyll-25

First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  Jekyll-26

First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  Jekyll-27

First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  Jekyll-28

First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  Jekyll-29

First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  Jekyll-30

First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  Jekyll-31

Last edited by moosedaisy on Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Guy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2011-07-17

PostSubject: Re: First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing    First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2012 9:02 pm

Great pictures. I am jealous. My longest one day trip, so far, is 247 miles.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing    First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2012 10:12 pm

Nice pics. Thanks for letting us tag along.
Back to top Go down
rodenbach
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
rodenbach

PostSubject: Re: First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing    First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2012 5:20 am

Thanks for sharing these beautiful pictures with us.
Those waffles have made me hungry... jocolor
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2565
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing    First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2012 7:25 am

Nice pictures! Having took a trip on my Wing this summer alone; you know I kind of enjoyed it!!! Memories I treasure and am sure you will too!
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Pictures   First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2012 9:47 am

Where are the pictures. swing
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing    First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2012 10:02 am

Excellent pictures, hopefully the first of many camping trips for you.

Isn't it surprising just how much you can pack in / on a silverwing. I fitted Givi E21 panniers on mine, just a bit more waterproof and thief proof.

For anyone carrying tent etc on the pillion seat have a look at this item. Makes stuff a lot more secure.
http://pacsafe.com/pacsafe-55l-bag-protector

Cheers,
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing    First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2012 12:15 pm

Great pictures! Did you run into any weather?
Back to top Go down
rodenbach
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
rodenbach

PostSubject: Re: First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing    First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2012 12:36 pm

@Moosedaisy:

how did you transport your (D7000) camera on the SWing? Can't see any dedicated (cam) bag on the pics.

When I go riding, I use the camera of my mobile phone, or a stone-aged (2006) digital camera, 'cause I don't want to damage my $$$ Nikon.
Back to top Go down
moosedaisy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing    First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2012 12:46 pm

DuggleBogey wrote:
Great pictures! Did you run into any weather?

I rode through a few rain storms but was able to keep moving and with the laminar lip and ears installed stayed dry.
Back to top Go down
moosedaisy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing    First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2012 12:49 pm

rodenbach wrote:
@Moosedaisy:

how did you transport your (D7000) camera on the SWing? Can't see any dedicated (cam) bag on the pics.

When I go riding, I use the camera of my mobile phone, or a stone-aged (2006) digital camera, 'cause I don't want to damage my $$$ Nikon.

If you look in the pic with all my gear you'll see a yellow box. That's a pelican case. It keeps my gear safe and is waterproof.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing    First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2012 6:36 pm

johnd wrote:
Where are the pictures. swing
Above. You may have a problem with your computer if you can't see them as everyone else seams to see them.
Back to top Go down
justdon
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-11-27

PostSubject: Re: First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing    First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 9:03 pm

You must have had a great time.Those are some awesome pics..
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing    First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 6:10 am

tarmacburner2 wrote:
For anyone carrying tent etc on the pillion seat have a look at this item. Makes stuff a lot more secure.
http://pacsafe.com/pacsafe-55l-bag-protector

I've used a Pacsafe 55l bag protector for the last couple of years to secure an Ortlieb bag or similar to the passenger seat. Once the bag is inside the Pacsafe net, I cinch up the cable and padlock it to one grab rail. Using the helmet holder cable I kept from my 650 Burgman, I thread it through the Pacsafe net and then padlock it to the opposite side grab rail.

The extra padlock and helmet cable easily fit into the Pacsafe storage sleeve so everything is in one place.

Back to top Go down
Silverwing28681
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Silverwing28681

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2012-08-16

PostSubject: Re: First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing    First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 9:49 pm

Awesome trip! Thanks for sharing! Is there anything you did not take this trip that needs to be on the list for your next? Kinda help us that have never scooter and camp. Thanks
Back to top Go down
moosedaisy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing    First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 6:16 pm

Next time I'll leave the tent at home and just bring my hammock camping gear. I also need to do the buttrest to backrest conversion. I leaned on the gear I had strapped to the seat and that didn't work well. I also need to install a power point on the dashboard. I've got one under the seat for powering my air compressor but it was inaccessible most of the time. I also need to install a gps mount. I ate all my meals out which can get expensive. Next time I'll bring a backpacking stove and some food. I think that's it.. Now I just gotta plan the next trip!
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing    First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 8:17 pm

In case you didn't realize it, your Wing probably has a 12 volt knock-out inside the left dash cover; mine did. Had the dealer install the outlet at purchase but am sure you could install one your self... Good luck.
Back to top Go down
moosedaisy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing    First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 8:30 pm

GHM-PM wrote:
In case you didn't realize it, your Wing probably has a 12 volt knock-out inside the left dash cover; mine did. Had the dealer install the outlet at purchase but am sure you could install one your self... Good luck.

I did see that nock out. I'm just not sure how I'd be bale to charge my gps while using it. It seems the door would close to tight to allow a cable to stick through.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing    First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 8:37 pm

moosedaisy wrote:
GHM-PM wrote:

I did see that nock out. I'm just not sure how I'd be bale to charge my gps while using it. It seems the door would close to tight to allow a cable to stick through.

I realize what you mean. I charge my phone mostly and I have a magnet inside my phone attachs to and then just plug charger in and close door. I can't talk on it while driving anyhow... For a GPS; for charging you would be OK but if you are powering your unit while using it, perhaps you could just close the dash door w/o latching? Or perhaps a small cut-out? Anyway, Good luck!!!

My 12 volt.

Here is my 12 volt socket.
Back to top Go down
moosedaisy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing    First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 8:39 pm

GHM-PM wrote:
moosedaisy wrote:
GHM-PM wrote:

I realize what you mean. I charge my phone mostly and I have a magnet inside my phone attachs to and then just plug charger in and close door. I can't talk on it while driving anyhow... For a GPS; for charging you would be OK but if you are powering your unit while using it, perhaps you could just close the dash door w/o latching? Or perhaps a small cut-out? Anyway, Good luck!!!

My phone is my gps. So I like to have it plugged in when using it as a gps. It kills the battery very fast. The knockout is a good place to charge things while you don't need them. I'll figure it out. I'm sure if I do a search I'll ding some info.
Back to top Go down
Windrider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Windrider

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-07-05

PostSubject: Re: First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing    First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 7:37 am

I sure do like the Pictures, I have the old house and your SWing in the woods as my background on the computer.
Back to top Go down
kbcmdba
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
kbcmdba

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2011-05-05

PostSubject: Re: First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing    First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 12:38 pm

moosedaisy wrote:
GHM-PM wrote:

I do charge my phone using a USB converter plugged into the cig. lighter plug on my '03 and have no problem closing/locking the door but the trick is to let the cable come out about 1/2 way down so the door can flex/bend a little.

If you'd rather not do that, one other option is to get a solar charger from Harbor Freight... :-) I don't use mine while riding yet but I am considering a way to mount one to my dash so I can take it off during wet weather. I may just make a clip for it since the charger has a belt clip. The trick then will be to make sure I don't accidentally leave it behind. Since my phone (with GPS) has audio instuctions thru Bluetooth, and I can listen to it thru my Chatterbox, I find it's often more secure to just leave the phone in the glove box or on my belt.

Great pics and trip log cheers
Back to top Go down
http://kbcmdba.blogspot.com/
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2009-07-18

PostSubject: Re: First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing    First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2012 5:26 pm

The SWing really does make a great solo touring machine. I see that you camped...I think I need to look into that next year when I go back to the Pacific Northwest...a lot cheaper...you only have to rent a hotel room once every 2-3 days that way.

Would be interested to know which tent and sleeping bag you used, how much they weighed and how you packed them...
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing    First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2012 7:27 pm

I think one could cut a hole in the side of the left side glove box big enough to pass a charge cord's small end through and run the cord up through the space under the handlebar cover to the GPS. A tie wrap could keep the end of the cord in place so it didn't fall back down. The hole in the side of the box could be cut to a size that a rubber plug could fill. That way you could plug your GPS in an outlet in the box and still keep the lid more or less rainproof. I may do that at a later date so power my iP4 so as to use the TomTom app GPS in the phone. By plugging a siamese 12V socket adapter into the socket in the box one could power something while charging something else in the box. There are a lot of Bluetooth helmets on the market too which might be worth looking into when the need for a new helmet comes up.

BTW- moosedaisy, what size top box to you have? It looks a lot larger than the 37 liter one I have. Also do you carry food and cooking gear?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing    First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First overnight camping trip with the Silver Wing
Page 1 of 1