Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Vibration - Hands Going numb-ish I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Vibration - Hands Going numb-ish I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Vibration - Hands Going numb-ish I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Vibration - Hands Going numb-ish I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Vibration - Hands Going numb-ish I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Vibration - Hands Going numb-ish I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Vibration - Hands Going numb-ish I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Vibration - Hands Going numb-ish I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Vibration - Hands Going numb-ish I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Vibration - Hands Going numb-ish I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Vibration - Hands Going numb-ish

Go down 
+4
AV-40
WingMan02
john grinsel
jshcastle
8 posters
AuthorMessage
jshcastle
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
jshcastle

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2012-09-20

Vibration - Hands Going numb-ish Empty
PostSubject: Vibration - Hands Going numb-ish   Vibration - Hands Going numb-ish I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 8:14 pm

So, the past few days I have been riding my SW all around. Just going from place to place, visiting my father, etc. Nothing that I don't normally do. Generally speaking I ride my SW at least 10 miles/day, unless I'm just sitting at home. However, the past few days I have been having an issue with my hands feeling like they are going slightly numb-feeling. It's hard to explain, but its not an actual numbness, its more like my hands feel like they are being vibrated a lot.

It doesn't feel like the bike is vibrating more than usual, but I keep getting this feeling. I'm curious if it could be a problem with the bike. Perhaps it could also be a problem with my hands, I'm not too sure yet.

I'm hoping that maybe someone has experienced this before and might have some thoughts on the matter? I appreciate any input, thanks!
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Vibration - Hands Going numb-ish   Vibration - Hands Going numb-ish I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 8:55 pm

Probably holding on too tightly---bike not problem-----hold on bars too tightly can come out as pain between shoulder blades after 50 miles or so
Back to top Go down
WingMan02
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
WingMan02

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Vibration - Hands Going numb-ish   Vibration - Hands Going numb-ish I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 9:14 pm

If your fingers are numb, and feels like needles in your fingers, maybe you have carpal tunnel syndrome.  Like John mentioned, you maybe holding the handle bar too tightly.  Possibly caused by the then current road conditions.
Back to top Go down
AV-40
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2013-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Vibration - Hands Going numb-ish   Vibration - Hands Going numb-ish I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 10:19 pm

I experienced the same thing on my first long trip with the SW. I bought the standard weight ManicSalamander weights for the handlebars and haven't had a similar problem since their installation.
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2013-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Vibration - Hands Going numb-ish   Vibration - Hands Going numb-ish I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 3:10 am

I felt the same sensation. As a newbie to the Swing I found it a little disconcerting at first, being similar to having a badly worn front wheel bearing. I think it's just engine vibrations as it varies with revs and power.

I found that "Grip Puppies" helped. The next trick is to add bar end weights.

Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Vibration - Hands Going numb-ish   Vibration - Hands Going numb-ish I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 5:57 am

Heavier bar end weights, looser (more relaxed) grip and a cramp buster should help.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Vibration - Hands Going numb-ish   Vibration - Hands Going numb-ish I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 5:58 am

Wearing gloves, if you dont already, may feel like it helps to cut down some vibration. I wear gloves while riding 99.9% of the time so that .01% time that i dont wear them it seems im getting some vibration. Maybe thats just me.
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Vibration - Hands Going numb-ish   Vibration - Hands Going numb-ish I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 11:40 am

Bar Grip Vibration Test - When riding on a smooth road at freeway speed hold the bar with one hand on a grip and place a finger on the other end of the bar on the grip - and push a bit. Do same with other grip. If you feel ANY appreciable bar vibration at the grip then you should consider modifications to get rid of the vibration. Using mods mentioned in this forum - and others - I have vibration (nearly) free grips.

Why is this important if it is not yet bothering you? If you have vibration then it wears on your hands and joints - which could eventually lead to problems - and much like carpel-tunnel-syndome - once you get it - it is nearly impossible to get rid of it - so you just have to live with it.

Got vibration? Then get rid of it - now! Don't wait for a problem to develop in your body BEFORE you take mitigating action. Gloves, don't squeeez to hard, relax, etc - all important and should be implemented and they are icing on the cake - but please get rid of any grip vibration that you have.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vibration - Hands Going numb-ish   Vibration - Hands Going numb-ish I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Vibration - Hands Going numb-ish
Page 1 of 1