Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
New SW Owner from New Mexico I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:39 am

» Drive belt prices
New SW Owner from New Mexico I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
New SW Owner from New Mexico I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
New SW Owner from New Mexico I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
New SW Owner from New Mexico I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
New SW Owner from New Mexico I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
New SW Owner from New Mexico I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
New SW Owner from New Mexico I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
New SW Owner from New Mexico I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
New SW Owner from New Mexico I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New SW Owner from New Mexico

Go down 
+8
Scroller
model28a
DarthJ
Gyro
robert
RArch
"Hi Yo"
jasunday
12 posters
AuthorMessage
jasunday
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2013-05-25

New SW Owner from New Mexico Empty
PostSubject: New SW Owner from New Mexico   New SW Owner from New Mexico I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 6:47 pm

I'm a 76-year-old Silver Wing owner from Las Cruces, New Mexico who has ridden a total of seven motorcycles off and on since 1958. My rides have ranged from my first bike, a 1958 Royal Enfield one lung 150, to my final bike, a 1996 Honda ST1100 that I rode until 1998 when I tired of clutching and shifting.

The urge to ride on two wheels again, but without the clutching and shifting, grabbed me 16 months ago when I bought a new 2010 Piaggio MP3 500 (the Piaggio as you might be aware is a reverse trike and has three wheels, two in front). I traded the Piaggio two weeks ago for a new 2011 Silver Wing. So, now I am really back on two wheels, not three.

I joined this forum to learn more about the SW from the experts and novices, if any, who are members. And, who knows, maybe I can pass along a tidbit or two along the way.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
New SW Owner from New Mexico 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: New SW Owner from New Mexico   New SW Owner from New Mexico I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 6:54 pm

welcome welcome
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: New SW Owner from New Mexico   New SW Owner from New Mexico I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 7:02 pm

welcome

You will have to tell us if you miss that extra wheel in front, I keep wondering what they are like to ride.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
jasunday
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: New SW Owner from New Mexico   New SW Owner from New Mexico I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 7:18 pm

RArch,

Riding the reverse trike Piaggio was really like riding with one front wheel. The two front wheels, 12 inchers by the way, articulated as if it was one wheel. Having two front wheels did seem to make braking and tracking somewhat truer but not by very much.

Counter steering, however, as much as I tried, was nonexistent on the Piaggio. I should add that when I got the SW two weeks ago I attempted counter steering just to make sure it would. It did!

jasunday
Back to top Go down
robert
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
robert

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-09-19

PostSubject: Re: New SW Owner from New Mexico   New SW Owner from New Mexico I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 8:37 pm

Welcome jasunday,

I know you will love that SWing, Ride Safe.
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2013-04-07

PostSubject: Re: New SW Owner from New Mexico   New SW Owner from New Mexico I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 9:26 pm

welcome

Be careful, now that you are back on two wheels! I'm gonna stick to my trike. Smile
Back to top Go down
jasunday
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: New SW Owner from New Mexico   New SW Owner from New Mexico I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 9:40 pm

Gyro wrote:
welcome

Be careful, now that you are back on two wheels! I'm gonna stick to my trike. Smile

Gyro, nice to hear from you and thanks for the welcome. Three wheels is safer than two, for sure. On the reverse trike Piaggio the front wheels can be locked upright below 6 MPH when stopping but will unlock immediately when starting out. So it's like riding with two wheels. Hope to hear from you again.

jasunday (Jim)
Back to top Go down
DarthJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2011-09-27

PostSubject: Re: New SW Owner from New Mexico   New SW Owner from New Mexico I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 9:47 pm

Welcome from Hell Paso, I sold my SWing at Las Cruces Motorsport. Traded for a Shadow. Doubt you got her as you said new, she was an '11 as well.
Back to top Go down
jasunday
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: New SW Owner from New Mexico   New SW Owner from New Mexico I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 10:38 pm

DarthJ wrote:
Welcome from Hell Paso, I sold my SWing at Las Cruces Motorsport. Traded for a Shadow. Doubt you got her as you said new, she was an '11 as well.

DarthJ,

When I bought the SW the odometer was zero. They test drove it for 5.1 miles before delivery to me. The title shows an odometer reading of 00005 miles on the purchase date, May 24. The SW I bought shows no sign of wear or usage. I appreciate the heads up but the SW sure appears unused to me.

I'm curious, DarthJ, how many miles were on your SW when you traded?

One of my prior bikes was a '93 Pacific Coast 800 and, as I recall, it had the Shadow motor, really reliable.

Thanks, again.

Jim
Back to top Go down
DarthJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: New SW Owner from New Mexico   New SW Owner from New Mexico I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 11:25 pm

Mine was 800. The Shadows are pretty reliable, the '11s are the first injected version, very easy to roll
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: New SW Owner from New Mexico   New SW Owner from New Mexico I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 12:57 am

jasunday, or would rather be called Jim? welcome welcome to the best SilverWing forum on the web. You made a wise decision by getting a SilverWing you will not be disappointed. You will get a lot of miles of smiles with your new ride. look thru the Accessories & Modifications section to see what others have done and you will have a good start finding things you may or may not like to do your SilverWing.
Back to top Go down
Scroller
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Scroller

Number of posts : 35

PostSubject: New member   New SW Owner from New Mexico I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 8:08 am

Welcome to the group, I am also a new member and 76 yrs young. I am sure you will enjoy this site it ha been very informative to myself, and no question as far as enjoying your new wheels, ride safe.

Scroller. Smile
Back to top Go down
jasunday
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: New SW Owner from New Mexico   New SW Owner from New Mexico I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 10:11 am

model28a wrote:
jasunday, or would rather be called Jim? welcome welcome to the best SilverWing forum on the web. You made a wise decision by getting a SilverWing you will not be disappointed. You will get a lot of miles of smiles with your new ride. look thru the Accessories & Modifications section to see what others have done and you will have a good start finding things you may or may not like to do your SilverWing.
Thanks for the welcome and the advice, Roger.

To answer your question, just call me Jim.

I've already picked up a few general pointers on the forum and was specifically interested in finding information about adding a 12-volt power outlet in the left cubby to recharge my GPS. Like many others I wonder why it isn't added at the factory.

BTW, I lived in Bradenton, Florida -- a few miles south of you in St. Pete -- until I relocated to New Mexico five years ago.

Back to top Go down
jasunday
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: New SW Owner from New Mexico   New SW Owner from New Mexico I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 10:25 am

Scroller wrote:
Welcome to the group, I am also a new member and 76 yrs young. I am sure you will enjoy this site it ha been very informative to myself, and no question as far as enjoying your new wheels, ride safe.

Scroller. Smile
Thanks, Scroller, for the welcome. I agree that I will learn some things on the forum to make my SW rides (and its care and maintenance) informative and enjoyable. Actually, the tips and information that I've picked up so far proves that.

I wish I had a way, Scroller, to send some of our warm New Mexican days to New Brunswick during your cold months. I also wish you could send some of your cooler days to New Mexico; the forecast for the next week is 100+ temperatures.
Back to top Go down
moonshiner
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
moonshiner

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2011-08-06

PostSubject: Re: New SW Owner from New Mexico   New SW Owner from New Mexico I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 11:25 pm

howdy , and welcome to the club ....
Back to top Go down
VLewis
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
VLewis

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2012-09-26

PostSubject: Re: New SW Owner from New Mexico   New SW Owner from New Mexico I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 11:41 pm

Welcome! My husband and I are in Albuquerque and have an 02 and an 08 Silverwing. We just rode the 536 to the Crest before they shut the road down because of the drought. Sweet ride! I just got my license last Fall and am loving the ride!

08 Silverwing,
02 Silverwing
02 Honda Reflex
05 Suzuki Burgman 400

Last edited by VLewis on Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : misspelling)
Back to top Go down
trouble1100
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
trouble1100

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: Re: New SW Owner from New Mexico   New SW Owner from New Mexico I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 6:16 pm

Welcome from a neighbor in Aridzona!
Back to top Go down
jasunday
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: New SW Owner from New Mexico   New SW Owner from New Mexico I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 6:34 pm

trouble1100 wrote:
Thanks, trouble,

I just saw you ride stable on Valerie's post. Very nice collection.

You're about 400 miles west of Las Cruces but we're still neighbors. I have to ask if it is as Arid in Aridzona as it is in New Mexico?

Jim
Back to top Go down
jasunday
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: New SW Owner from New Mexico   New SW Owner from New Mexico I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 6:48 pm

VLewis wrote:
Welcome! My husband and I are in Albuquerque and have an 02 and an 08 Silverwing. We just rode the 536 to the Crest before they shut the road down because of the drought. Sweet ride! I just got my license last Fall and am loving the ride!

08 Silverwing,
02 Silverwing
02 Honda Reflex
05 Suzuki Burgman 400

Thanks for the welcome from Albuquerque.

Happy that you began riding last year and are loving it. I been two-wheeling on bikes since 1958, with a hiatus here and there. Got into scoots 15 months ago and wonder what took me so long to twist and go.

We New Mexicans are fortunate to have a very long riding season. Here in Las Cruces, however, some of our summertime rides are morning rides when the afternoon temperature can get above 100, like all this week.

Jim
Back to top Go down
trouble1100
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
trouble1100

PostSubject: Re: New SW Owner from New Mexico   New SW Owner from New Mexico I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 6:55 pm

jasunday wrote:
trouble1100 wrote:
I have to ask if it is as Arid in Aridzona as it is in New Mexico?

Jim

Funny you should ask, I snapped a picture of a weather station with my phone after a round of golf for an old coworker back east that ask about the weather.

New SW Owner from New Mexico Attachment
Back to top Go down
jasunday
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: New SW Owner from New Mexico   New SW Owner from New Mexico I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 7:34 pm

trouble, my rooftop reading this afternoon was 114.8 and my back porch reading was 102.6 so I have to say we're both Arid. Jim
Back to top Go down
surlybiker58
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
surlybiker58

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-12-11

PostSubject: Re: New SW Owner from New Mexico   New SW Owner from New Mexico I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 9:19 pm

And I thought it got hot here in Maryland !
Back to top Go down
trouble1100
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
trouble1100

PostSubject: Re: New SW Owner from New Mexico   New SW Owner from New Mexico I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 9:46 pm

surlybiker58 wrote:
And I thought it got hot here in Maryland !

Humidity makes a HUGE difference, 85 to 95 with single digit humidity is quite comfy here. The same temps back east would drive me to my knees. My sweetie used to teach high school in southern Maryland near Pax River N.A.S. and often tells me how awful it was in the class rooms.
Back to top Go down
DarthJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: New SW Owner from New Mexico   New SW Owner from New Mexico I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 4:37 pm

VLewis wrote:
Welcome! My husband and I are in Albuquerque and have an 02 and an 08 Silverwing.  We just rode the 536 to the Crest before they shut the road down because of the drought.  Sweet ride!  I just got my license last Fall and am loving the ride!

08 Silverwing,
02 Silverwing
02 Honda Reflex
05 Suzuki Burgman 400
Keep enjoying the ride.  The smile gets bigger as the numbers on the odometer rise.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New SW Owner from New Mexico   New SW Owner from New Mexico I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New SW Owner from New Mexico
Page 1 of 1