Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» checking the oil
Installation of DennisB light bar I_icon_minitimeby COMick Today at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Installation of DennisB light bar I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Installation of DennisB light bar I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Installation of DennisB light bar I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Installation of DennisB light bar I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Installation of DennisB light bar I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Installation of DennisB light bar I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Installation of DennisB light bar I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Installation of DennisB light bar I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Installation of DennisB light bar I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Installation of DennisB light bar

Go down 
+2
RArch
Gyro
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2013-04-07

Installation of DennisB light bar Empty
PostSubject: Installation of DennisB light bar   Installation of DennisB light bar I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 1:21 pm

I've had all the parts and pieces to install the DennisB light bar and Optronics driving lights along with a 12V power outlet in the LH storage for a few weeks now, but have been very intimidated at the thought of removing all that bodywork. I finally gathered my courage and started on the project yesterday. I'm not very far along as I have to work slow with frequent rests, but I'm making progress.

Relay & DennisB taillight connector mounted, but not yet wired:
Installation of DennisB light bar Lights0001_zps081745d6

12V power outlet mounted: I used the pre-existing hole (covered with a rubber plug) in the LH storage box. The panel-mount 12V outlet I bought from PCA required a larger mounting hole than the existing hole, so I used a 1.25" 3-flute countersink mounted in my cordless drill to open the hole up. I was careful to remove only a little material at a time with several trial fits. I was able to do some final trimming of the hole with a knife and achieved a fit that allowed the power outlet to thread itself very tightly into the hole, eliminating the need to use the backing nut. That's a big plus as getting to the back side to install the jam nut would have required removing a lot more bodywork than I am comfortable with.
Installation of DennisB light bar Lights0004_zpsf48eaa2a

Kinda ugly with all the pretty plastic off, ain't it? Laughing
Installation of DennisB light bar Lights0002_zps2c4b0ce0

I'll take more photos and post them along with my experiences as the work progresses.
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: Installation of DennisB light bar   Installation of DennisB light bar I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 6:26 pm

A few more photos:

Wiring exiting the rear of the left floorboard support tube. Note the protective spiral wrap around the wires, The ends of the tube have extremely sharp burrs.
Installation of DennisB light bar Lights0005_zpsdbf6a4f1

And the front of the floorboard tube. Note that the front of the tube curves up.
Installation of DennisB light bar Lights0007_zps503de5e1

Plenty of wire pulled through to wire the lights and on/off switch.
Installation of DennisB light bar Lights0006_zps35505e90
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Installation of DennisB light bar   Installation of DennisB light bar I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 7:09 pm

That is a clever method of running the wires to the front using the frame tubes Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: Installation of DennisB light bar   Installation of DennisB light bar I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 7:31 pm

RArch wrote:
That is a clever method of running the wires to the front using the frame tubes Smile

Straight from DennisB's instructions! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: Installation of DennisB light bar   Installation of DennisB light bar I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 1:05 pm

I see the light at the end of the tunnel! No work Friday. We went to pick up the Shadow Mini-Trailer from the factory Friday afternoon. (unexpected several days early call!)

The relay has been wired to the taillight connector and the fused power wire from the battery and the power wire to the front of the scooter are wired and routed. (Be generous with the wire ties. It makes for a neat installation and keeps everything where it belongs.)
Installation of DennisB light bar Lights0008_zpse84e8e05

Power wire routing:
Installation of DennisB light bar Lights0009_zps1bebbf2b

Waterproof pushbutton switch for on/off control of the driving lights:
Installation of DennisB light bar Lights0011_zps3b038495

Wire tie the switch wires to the handlebar to avoid stress on the switch:
Installation of DennisB light bar Lights0010_zps8304b024

Don't forget to connect the ground wire to the ground lug!
Installation of DennisB light bar Lights0013_zps49eb06c1

DennisB light bar installed and Optronics lights installed: (Yay!)
Installation of DennisB light bar Lights0012_zps5d72617a

All that remains is connecting the light wires, testing the lights and power outlet, and replacing the body panels!
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Installation of DennisB light bar   Installation of DennisB light bar I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 1:27 pm

Looking good applause
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Installation of DennisB light bar 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Installation of DennisB light bar   Installation of DennisB light bar I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 5:45 pm

hotwings wrote:
Looking good applause
+1
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: Installation of DennisB light bar   Installation of DennisB light bar I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 7:18 pm

I need a little help, please.

When I went to test the driving lights, They did not come on. I checked voltage at the front terminus of my lead wires from the relay in back. No voltage...

I noticed that the tail light was not on. I checked, and the rear turn signals work, but there are no brake lights. I immediately suspected the taillight connector, so removed it and plugged the stock taillight plugs back together. Same thing - turn signals, but no tail or brake lights.

I checked the taillight fuse with an ohmmeter and it is good. The inline fuse from the battery to the relay is good. (It would have no effect on the taillights though - different circuit.)

I checked the ground wire stack to make certain I did not miss one when I added the driving light ground.

What's up with that?
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: Installation of DennisB light bar   Installation of DennisB light bar I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 11:10 am

There were a couple of blown fuses. See my "I killed it" thread.

The problem turned out to be with the relay I purchased from Ebay. It was crap - internally shorted. A new relay from the local Auto Zone store fixed the problem and everything is now working correctly. Smile

Now comes the fun part - putting all that bodywork back in place! Rolling Eyes Razz
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: Installation of DennisB light bar   Installation of DennisB light bar I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 9:41 pm

All Done!

Installation of DennisB light bar Trailer0003_zps2c409f7c
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Installation of DennisB light bar   Installation of DennisB light bar I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 4:49 pm

Nice, they will give it a good presence on the road.

I wonder could you fit some sort of daylight running LED on each of the rear mudguards... another project perhaps Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: Installation of DennisB light bar   Installation of DennisB light bar I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 4:55 pm

RArch wrote:

I wonder could you fit some sort of daylight running LED on each of the rear mudguards... another project perhaps Smile

I have thought of that. Danson offers a tail/brake/turn signal light kit for their conversions, but I have no idea what is involved in installing one, or what it's like. It should not be all that hard to fit a couple of LED trailer lights to the fenders, if some stylish ones could be found.
Back to top Go down
trouble1100
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
trouble1100

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Installation of DennisB light bar   Installation of DennisB light bar I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 5:33 pm

Gyro wrote:
RArch wrote:

I have thought of that. Danson offers a tail/brake/turn signal light kit for their conversions, but I have no idea what is involved in installing one, or what it's like. It should not be all that hard to fit a couple of LED trailer lights to the fenders, if some stylish ones could be found.

Give these a gander ....

http://www.lights.skenedesign.com/PB_Features.shtml

....... or those ........

http://www.hyperlites.com/hyperwhite.html

BTW, nice job on the light bar install and the troubleshooting.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Installation of DennisB light bar   Installation of DennisB light bar I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 7:38 pm

Gyro thats a nice looking combo you have. Was never a fan of anything "triked" but i'll admit yours looks sharp especially with the trailer!! Good job!!
Back to top Go down
waterboy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2012-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Installation of DennisB light bar   Installation of DennisB light bar I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 10:03 am

Gyro, I'll second what hotwings said.
That's a good looking trike/trailer combo.  Good work.
WB
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: Installation of DennisB light bar   Installation of DennisB light bar I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 10:21 am

I emailed Danson and asked for details on their lighting kit.  They sent me a complete set of installation instructions and a photo of the lighting kit installed on a Suzuki B400.
Installation of DennisB light bar B400showsLEDs_zps0d76c5cb
That's a $250.00 lighting kit.

Err, Umm...........Shocked
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Installation of DennisB light bar   Installation of DennisB light bar I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Installation of DennisB light bar
Page 1 of 1