Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Sinko De Mayo
Givi confusion I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Givi confusion I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 am

» checking the oil
Givi confusion I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Givi confusion I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Givi confusion I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Givi confusion I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Givi confusion I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Givi confusion I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Givi confusion I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Givi confusion I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Givi confusion

Go down 
+4
honda_silver
Opalsboy
thomphoto
mr fish
8 posters
AuthorMessage
mr fish
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
mr fish

Number of posts : 276
Registration date : 2009-03-23

Givi confusion Empty
PostSubject: Givi confusion   Givi confusion I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2009 4:12 pm

Please forgive my confusion I have had my givi screen for about 2/3 weeks to stop the wind blowing in face,it works wonderfully well however i now get beaten up from every other angle the wind blows straight down my neck is this the norm??? or am i rideing with a crazy ghost?? What a Face
Back to top Go down
thomphoto
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
thomphoto

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2009-06-11

Givi confusion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi confusion   Givi confusion I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2009 6:03 pm

That was the major problem with the Givi for me and a lot of others. I changed over to the Clearview Medium, and have had no problems.
Back to top Go down
http://wendellthompsonfineart.com
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Givi confusion Empty
PostSubject: Passing wind...   Givi confusion I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2009 6:24 pm

John, ... Thomphoto.. I have a Givi.. only wind shield I have ever used, so I may just be ignorant about what both of you have described. I am not aware of any turbulence from any direction unless there is a strong gust when I meet a truck or there is a storm brewing. I usually ride at near 60 mph speed, but have ridden for a short time ( I emphasize SHORT ) at 110 mph. I have placed my hand above my head to see where the air flow seems to pass over me and it is a good 6 - 8". When I have ridden in the rain, I notice the rain dropplets are passing over my head in the same way. My screen was on my scoot when I bought it, so, I don't know if it was modified or not. I don't think so. I am 6' tall and ride all the way back in the seat. I have removed the butt rest temporarily so my wife can ride with me. This places me as far back on the seat as I can possibly sit. I can't imagine where your problem is originating. Does Givi make more than one height wind shield?
Gary
Back to top Go down
mr fish
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
mr fish

Givi confusion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi confusion   Givi confusion I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2009 6:39 pm

I will try removing the butt rest as for when it raining i still get a wet visor im 6'2 thanks for the feedback

thomphoto thanks for the info but looks like im gonna have to get used to the givi
Back to top Go down

Givi confusion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi confusion   Givi confusion I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2009 7:17 pm

Hi John,

Sometimes the problem is your helmet. I don't get that problem. I have an HGC SIMax II helmet now. Before that, I had a much less expensive one, and had a lot more wind shear.

M-
Back to top Go down

Givi confusion Empty
PostSubject: re: Givi confusion   Givi confusion I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2009 8:56 pm

I am 6'2", have a Givi windshield, and removed the back rest so I would have more leg room.

At speeds less than 45 mph I do not notice turbulence. When I hit the highway (50-75 mph) I can feel the wind eddying back and pushing against the back of my head. At the higher speeds I feel the tension in my neck from resisting this force.

Another bit of evidence: I have my own built-in wind vane, a long ponytail (I may have cut back on riding the Harley but I haven't cut my hair). It tends to blow forward, wrapping around one side of my neck when I reach speeds around 55 mph. (See Mom?? I told you there was a legitimate reason for not cutting my hair!)
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Givi confusion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi confusion   Givi confusion I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2009 9:08 pm

[quote="Opalsboy"] I have placed my hand above my head to see where the air flow seems to pass over me and it is a good 6 - 8". When I have ridden in the rain, I notice the rain dropplets are passing over my head in the same way. [/quote]

To be more accurate: I just rode to church and back. I put my hand up again and the air is barely clearing my helmet. I still wasn't getting anything significant down my back, there may have been a small eddy just past my back. Until you two mentioned this, I was completely unaware of ANY turbulence. I sure don't feel any tension at the speeds I usually ride (60) Tonight I drove 65 mph GPS.
Robin, please refrain from bragging about having hair. Some of us are a little self conscious about that. Same goes for teeth and you know what....
Gary
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Givi confusion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi confusion   Givi confusion I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2009 10:34 pm

RobinC wrote:
Another bit of evidence: I have my own built-in wind vane, a long ponytail (I may have cut back on riding the Harley but I haven't cut my hair). It tends to blow forward, wrapping around one side of my neck when I reach speeds around 55 mph. (See Mom?? I told you there was a legitimate reason for not cutting my hair!)

:lol!:

Though that will not stop my from telling my sons that their hair needs to be cut.
Back to top Go down

Givi confusion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi confusion   Givi confusion I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 4:29 am

I have a Givi and cut it down about 2 inches. I am also 6 feet tall and have removed the buttrest to get maximum legroom. I have noticed that whatever wind turbulance there is it comes at me from a different direction than all the other windshields I've had on other bikes. Like RobinC above when ever I get a blast from a truck coming from the opposite direction it seems to blow from my back to front. On all other bikes I'ved owned a truck blast would have come head on. I rather like this change in direction. I also get almost zero helmet buffeting with the Givi. On all other bikes it was always more of an issue. I don't know if it's the Givi or the Swing(probably a little of both) but this combination has given me the most comfortable ride of any bike I've owned as far as wind turbulance goes.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Givi confusion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi confusion   Givi confusion I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 10:10 am

Opalsboy wrote:
Does Givi make more than one height wind shield?
Gary

Yes.
Back to top Go down

Givi confusion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi confusion   Givi confusion I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 2:26 pm

I actually don't agree with dspevack. Best to my knowledge there is only one size Givi windshield is available for SW, D214ST. Clearview offer 4 sizes (S, M, L, XL). They are 22" (+1" over stock windshield), 24" (+2.75"), 25" (+3.5"), 26.5" (+4.75). There is a description on their website of how to determine a size which is correct for you. Also, if you call them and give them your "dimentions" (height, inseam) they'll tell you what they recommend. Give windshield is 26.5" high. I wanted to buy Givi from the day one but I am only 5'6" and according to Clearview I only need 1/2" over the OEM windshield. I also don't like idea of cutting a windshield although it is doable. Givi is also much cheaper than Clearview. I am living with OEM windshield for now. With 90deg temps we have had for the last few days wind in your face actually feels nice.
Back to top Go down

Givi confusion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi confusion   Givi confusion I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 4:56 pm

I installed the Givi and I hated it. I am only 5' 5 and it was way to high. I had it cut down. It was better but it felt like a wind sail instead of a wind shield. The wind was blowing me around from every direction. Each to their own. I took it off and have the stock on and it works just fine. Got the Givi back in the box in the Garage.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Givi confusion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi confusion   Givi confusion I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 5:24 pm

Miro wrote:
I actually don't agree with dspevack.

I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again.
This may even be one of those times.
:bubblegum:geek
Back to top Go down
Bernardo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Bernardo

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2008-12-25

Givi confusion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi confusion   Givi confusion I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 6:40 pm

Hi everyone,

I use a laminar lip on my S'wing and this to me offers good weather protetction whilst still being able to see over the top, noise reduction, buffetting reduction and you can adjust it easily.... That last option is quite important since if you have it mounted too high, then you get buffetting / turbulence ....

Anyway to get to point, I made some modifications to the windshield on my bike that significantly reduced turbulance and buffetting. I'm sure this would also work on the S'wing.

The following is an email I sent to a bike forum describing what I did....

Hi Everyone,

Having been considering aerodynamic spoilers etc, (see web sites below)

http://www.saeng.com/subcategory.php?category=51
http://www.r1200gs.info/misc/aeroflow_saeng.html

I decided that it was a bit expensive for something that may or may not prove useful..... Plus I can't find a UK supplier...
Thus firmly in Blue Peter mode, (childrens DIY TV program) I decided to have a go myself by spending the princely sum of £5.89 or something like that in B&Q (DIY store) and bought some self adhesive brown rubber draft excluder which I spray painted black and then stuck to the leading edges of my screen.... I mean what with the cable ties to stop the screen deforming at speed, (the wind shield would dislodge from its mounts at 100mph, and the bike tops out at 130mph so that was no fun, but the cable ties work a treat, and the screen holds up well) the screen not exactly going to look any more naff than it already is

Givi confusion MEMO0008

Not only did it stay stuck on, even at high speed, it appeared to work! Wind noise and buffetting a little reduced, but even more strange the wind noise with my visor open was much more reduced than before, and quieter than with the visor down and closed ?!!! Now I am able to ride at 90mph with the visor open as opposed to the 70mph before..... I could even ride at 55-60mph with the front pivoting part of my modular helmet in the fully up position. Before fitting the draught excluder, those speeds would have been much more uncomfortable with the helmet in open mode.....
It works best with the rubber excluder all the way round the screen as in the pictures below. Initially I tried just the top edge first of all, but it didn't seem to make that much difference.

Givi confusion MEMO0007

Givi confusion MEMO0005

What an irony! who would have thought a bit of draught excluder could make such a difference, on a bike?!! Surprised Smile I suppose I'd better add here that I also wear glasses, so they also offer a little eye protection when I ride.

The draught excluder rubber is very soft and light, and who knows who long it will last? But its worth a try, and a lot cheaper than that Saeng edging. However, If my Blue Peter job doesn't work out, then I might well buy myself the real McCoy, even if I have to get it from the USA.
Now its just as fun riding along on my Divvy with the visor open, and instead of needing ear plugs, you hear the engine much clearer above a very reduced wind noise...... And it sounds great! I shall have to try it with my open face helmet which I bought in the Lidl sales to see if they are any good..... I've always been a full face helmet guy, but for commuting in summer when its hot, maybe an open face will be more comfortable?!
In summary I think the main application here is potentially a massive reduction in fatigue due to buffetting and wind noise on longer trips, and the advantage of being able to keep your visor open at relatively high touring speeds. For now anyway, my Divvy seems to offer better top half weather protection than my BMW K100RT that I used to have years ago. I'll report back on the open face helmet in due course.

Happy Riding!
Bernardo

That was a few months ago and the Mod is still going strong, and superb with an open face helmet in the hot weather..... By the way those black wind deflectors on the sides of the fairing, kick out the wind blast a few inches, and offer good protection to my hands.... They are none other than laminar ears for a Silver Wing!!

Last edited by Bernardo on Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:47 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : "good" not "god" weather protection!!!)
Back to top Go down
mr fish
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
mr fish

Givi confusion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi confusion   Givi confusion I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 6:50 pm

Ive solved the problem just need another month down the gym or i could slow down its fine under 50 bounce
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

Givi confusion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi confusion   Givi confusion I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 2:02 pm

If you have the stock w/s and want a good solution find a w/s off off a m/c that has been discarded because it it cracked in the lower section. Take a band saw and cut it in to a "laminar lip" fasten it to the existing w/s with valcro and use a couple of the larger fold over clips for safety to make sure it stays in place. I fixed my problem and can remove it when I am just cruising around.
Just Old Dave in western Nebraska usa
Back to top Go down
mr fish
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
mr fish

Givi confusion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi confusion   Givi confusion I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 5:12 am

I have now found that without the back box on its a whole lot better (not perfect)but better Shocked
Back to top Go down
transam86
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
transam86

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2009-02-25

Givi confusion Empty
PostSubject: my givi shield   Givi confusion I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 7:50 pm

john im 6-2 and im very comfortable with my givi shield and i have been running this shield 3 years and 28,000 miles on both my 05 and my 07.
Back to top Go down
mr fish
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
mr fish

Givi confusion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi confusion   Givi confusion I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 6:49 pm

Took mine off today and put my original back on and have to say I think I prefer the original.... Im so used to riding naked bikes it always felt odd the quiet and the direction of the flow I also think the stock is better at high speeds where as the givi is ok up to 50/60 its a bit too tall after that so it feels like the bike is forcing through the wind ,also because I can hear the wind rush again I cant here all the rattles so bonus

P.s
If any one wants a givi screen I know a man whose selling one Smile lol
Back to top Go down

Givi confusion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi confusion   Givi confusion I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 2:06 am

I had the same problem with my Givi windscreen...it feels like somebody trying to push me into the handlebars from behind at freeway speeds. If you sit and stare at the windscreen long enough, the reason becomes apparent; the 'hand guard ears' on either side of the main shield are pointing forward INTO the wind. Every other surface on the bike is angling back in some fashion, and then there's those crazy 'ears' angled forward, digging into the slipstream. Its the worst bit of aerodynamics I've ever seen. Shame on you, Givi! As they carve into the wind they create the intense buffeting that you're noticing from behind and from the sides.

I masked the screen and cut them off with a sabre saw and it completely transformed the performance. Now it affords a much smoother and quieter ride than the stock unit. Give it a try before you give up on the Givi!
Back to top Go down

Givi confusion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi confusion   Givi confusion I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 5:17 am

JSolo wrote:
I had the same problem with my Givi windscreen...it feels like somebody trying to push me into the handlebars from behind at freeway speeds. If you sit and stare at the windscreen long enough, the reason becomes apparent; the 'hand guard ears' on either side of the main shield are pointing forward INTO the wind. Every other surface on the bike is angling back in some fashion, and then there's those crazy 'ears' angled forward, digging into the slipstream. Its the worst bit of aerodynamics I've ever seen. Shame on you, Givi! As they carve into the wind they create the intense buffeting that you're noticing from behind and from the sides.

I masked the screen and cut them off with a sabre saw and it completely transformed the performance. Now it affords a much smoother and quieter ride than the stock unit. Give it a try before you give up on the Givi!

Any chance you could take a picture of the finished product and post it ?
Back to top Go down

Givi confusion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi confusion   Givi confusion I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 2:11 pm

I've got a photo in my album that shows it fairly well. Check it out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Givi confusion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi confusion   Givi confusion I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Givi confusion
Page 1 of 1