Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Move backrest more to the back I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Move backrest more to the back I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Move backrest more to the back I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Move backrest more to the back I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Move backrest more to the back I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Move backrest more to the back I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Move backrest more to the back I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Move backrest more to the back I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Move backrest more to the back I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Move backrest more to the back I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Move backrest more to the back

Go down 
+5
tarmacburner2
OLD HICKORY
GHM-PM
john grinsel
badaboum
9 posters
AuthorMessage
badaboum
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
badaboum

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2013-05-23

Move backrest more to the back Empty
PostSubject: Move backrest more to the back   Move backrest more to the back I_icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 4:39 am

Hello all,

I used to ride a Burgman 400 where the backrest of the seat was adjustable...

I am missing this as it is great to stretch your leg at 180°..

Did anybody modified it seat to have the backrest moved a couple of inches more to the back?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Move backrest more to the back   Move backrest more to the back I_icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 6:10 am

The back rest is adjustable. Look underseat/in owner's manual/shop manual.
Back to top Go down
badaboum
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
badaboum

PostSubject: Re: Move backrest more to the back   Move backrest more to the back I_icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 7:44 am

On the silverwing 600 (sold in the usa) it seems that it is adjustable.

On my SWT the manual shows no trace of adjustment..
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Move backrest more to the back   Move backrest more to the back I_icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 8:20 am

They are adjustable BUT every SWing I have seen comes with the adjustment all the way to the rear. So no more adjustment is possible (sigh). Hence all the talk on this forum of the buttrest to backrest conversions and new seats etc. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
OLD HICKORY
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2013-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Move backrest more to the back   Move backrest more to the back I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2013 8:24 am

Hello badaboum,
I also felt the buttrest needed to be moved back and up a couple of inches so I could stretch my legs out while riding and I'm only 5'9" tall. I managed to get the buttrest back about an inch and a half and up 2 or 3 inches by taking a Drimmel tool and start cutting the plastic seat guides on the seat back a couple of inches. Then I welded two pieces of metal on the brackets about one and one half inches back on each bracket to re-position the backrest back and up. If you do this, the seat will never be stock again, mind you. It works fine but it opens up a new can of worms cause there is no padding on the rider back seat where the buttrest normally sits so you have to remove the seat cover and re-pad the seat a little. I love the Silverwing but the seat has to be the worst part of this scooter, for me, and it slows me down from taking a long road trip on it till I feel comfortable riding a hundred or so miles at a time on it. For me, It's still a work in progress. Good luck on yours. OH
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Move backrest more to the back   Move backrest more to the back I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2013 8:52 am

I put a Buttrest to Backrest conversion on my Burgman. Many of our roads are in a poor state of repair. I got fed up of being thumped in the back when going over a bump. Returned rest to a Buttrest.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Move backrest more to the back   Move backrest more to the back I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2013 12:25 pm

I also found the back to butt conversion uncomfortable as it ended up right where the back protector was fitted in my jacket. I've now gone back to stock.
Back to top Go down
badaboum
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
badaboum

PostSubject: Re: Move backrest more to the back   Move backrest more to the back I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2013 5:18 pm

Hey guys,

I think that I am going to mod the seat anyway to be able like old hickory to extend at 180° my legs...

I'll do that this summer, but I am amazed that honda does no provide this very cheap hence very usefull option...

Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Move backrest more to the back   Move backrest more to the back I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2013 7:47 pm

Since installing the buttrest to backrest conversion I am happy. I can do 300-400 miles in a day with no problem. Probably more but I really have little interest in iron-man rides Crying or Very sad

And not all solutions fix the problems for all people. The perfect solution is have the seat redone to your specs. This is possible, have a guy here in AZ that can do this but it is not cheap...
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Move backrest more to the back   Move backrest more to the back I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 3:03 am

Perhaps the 'length' of the seat has something to do with the fact that the Silverwing is a Japanese bike and the average height of Japanese men is three inches less than both English and US men.

My uncle bought a Hillman Hunter car in the late 60's/early 70's (can't remember exactly) and discovered the front passenger seat was shorter from front to back than the driver's seat; it had been fitted with one meant for the Japanese market.
Back to top Go down
badaboum
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
badaboum

PostSubject: Re: Move backrest more to the back   Move backrest more to the back I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2013 6:09 am

Hello,

Indeed it may be an explanation. But on the Burgman (which is also a japanese based bike) they included the option of being able to move the buttrest ... so why not honda???
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Move backrest more to the back   Move backrest more to the back I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2013 7:16 am

I suppose there has to be a finite adjustment as it's a two-seater bike.
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2013-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Move backrest more to the back   Move backrest more to the back I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2013 9:33 am

I think I have an explanation. I suspect that on some models of the Swing, the bum stop was bolted directly to the seat. No adjustment being possible.

Why, I hear you ask? I do, don't I? Two reasons.

First - When I converted my bum stop into a backrest, I found a metal plate on the back of the stop, held on by four bolts. The plate appeared to have no purpose. However, on the inside of the seat, there were four corresponding holes in the plastic.

Second - When doing my conversion, I lost one of the bolts that hold the bum stop brackets (sliders) in place - the bolts that go up through the seat.

I went to my dealer to buy a replacement. He asked for my registration number and then pulled the bike info from the file on his pc. That lead to the full parts catalogue, with exploded diagrams.

On the diagram of the seat there were no slider brackets and no bolts going vertically up into the seat moulding. He came out and looked at the bike, with a print of the diagram. They were not the same!! scratch

In it's place the diagram showed bolts going directly through the seat, horizontally into the bum stop.

The diagrams that came up were dated 2007, yet my bike is new (2012/13). So I suspect that the design has changed in the meantime and Honda haven't redrawn the parts diagram!

For me, the problem was solved when the technician vanished into the parts store and came back with a handful of odd bolts and screws. He said, "If one of those works, keep it".

One did. bounce

Back to top Go down
badaboum
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
badaboum

PostSubject: Re: Move backrest more to the back   Move backrest more to the back I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2013 9:44 am

Looking at the seat microfiche, I was wondering if riding the bike without the buttrest would be a problem?
Back to top Go down
drewsieboy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Move backrest more to the back   Move backrest more to the back I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2013 10:26 am

i removed the but rest. it transformed the scooter lots more comfort, ithen converted the rest to a backrest (see le roy beal in this forum) result even more comfort. hope this info helps.
Back to top Go down
badaboum
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
badaboum

PostSubject: Re: Move backrest more to the back   Move backrest more to the back I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2013 10:44 am

ok thanks.

I'll invistigate this subject later this summer when i'll have more times..

Now the priority is the radio system..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Move backrest more to the back   Move backrest more to the back I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Move backrest more to the back
Page 1 of 1