Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
New Bike Maintainence I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 9:19 pm

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
New Bike Maintainence I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» checking the oil
New Bike Maintainence I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Fri May 03, 2024 7:41 am

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
New Bike Maintainence I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
New Bike Maintainence I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
New Bike Maintainence I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
New Bike Maintainence I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
New Bike Maintainence I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
New Bike Maintainence I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
New Bike Maintainence I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New Bike Maintainence

Go down 
+3
Colin B
DennisB
jda55
7 posters
AuthorMessage
jda55
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2013-04-26

New Bike Maintainence Empty
PostSubject: New Bike Maintainence   New Bike Maintainence I_icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 4:54 pm

Just bought a new bike. Question(s): I'm approaching (550 miles) the initial 600 mile service and the dealer cost is $200. Plus the earliest they could get me in is 2 weeks. I'll be around 900 miles by then. Suggestions/Comments? (service manager will be calling me.)

Also, I evidently did not realize the cost of maintainence on these bikes. Honda rec. every 4000 miles. I anticipate doing around 900-1000 per month. Approx cost at the dealer will be around $300 per service. Being new to biking, I just figured an oil change as routine maintainence that I can get done for $50 or less. Motorcycle is smaller, thought it would be less. Oops. Bad thinking.

Thoughts/Suggestions/Comments?

(I didn't get the maintainence agreement, and I'm not that mechanically inclined. Thought they were pretty bullet-proof.)

Any re-assurance out there?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: New Bike Maintainence   New Bike Maintainence I_icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 5:16 pm

Hi jda55,

Your on the right forum for help.

Any bike or scooter, you buy these days, will run a bunch of money if you take it to the dealer for maintance.

Best get the correct tools and a shop manual. We will give you as much help we can.

Oil changes are easy to do with the right tools and a little time on the garage floor.

Knowing how to do things will save you alot of money. cheers
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2013-03-20

PostSubject: Re: New Bike Maintainence   New Bike Maintainence I_icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 5:31 pm

DennisB wrote:
Knowing how to do things will save you alot of money.

Therein lies the rub! If only. Sad
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: New Bike Maintainence   New Bike Maintainence I_icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 9:26 pm

Based on now near 300,000 rubber band drive scooter miles-----biggest expense will be new drive belts and rollers every 15,000 miles or so......based on my ownership of new SilverWing, fresh oil & filter should be what it needs----dealers usually don't do all of the required stuff----dealer service expensive...and not right now like I get on my leased Genesis.

Ride it and enjoy--don't worry....must people do not ride enough to wear them out
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2562
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: New Bike Maintainence   New Bike Maintainence I_icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 12:58 am

Don't let them scare you (dealers). You will need an oil change at 600 miles; buy a filter and wrench at Walmart plus some oil and do it. Takes about 20 minutes. Honda recommends final drive oil be changed at 2 year intervals...
Forget that and do it every other oil change, 10 ounces of oil (same as engine) and done, peace of mind. There are pictorials here on forums that walk you step by step on these two services. My 2012 has 8100 miles and has yet to see a dealer for service.

That said, I will probably see Honda at 15K for belt change and valve adjustment as I don't have all the tools. But then back to oil changes myself... I should save enough to pay for the 15K service.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: New Bike Maintainence   New Bike Maintainence I_icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 6:02 am

There is no valve adjustment,only valve shims and are good for at least 50k miles some go a lot farther then that . You can see the signs when they need to be replace.The more HWY miles you ride oppose to city riding,the more miles before valve shims replacement.There is a video on U tube on valve shim replacement .
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2562
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: New Bike Maintainence   New Bike Maintainence I_icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 8:30 am

tinman wrote:
There is no valve adjustment,only valve shims and are good for at least 50k miles some go a lot farther then that . You can see the signs when they need to be replace.The more HWY miles you ride oppose to city riding,the more miles before valve shims replacement.There is a video on U tube on valve shim replacement .

I understand that the SWing uses shims... However my Honda manual recommends them to be checked at 16K.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: New Bike Maintainence   New Bike Maintainence I_icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 12:31 pm

You are looking at a expensive job,you have to remove the Tupperware to get at the valve cover . Those shims will last more then 16k miles . Do a search and see at what milage that others and the shims change . I for one have already past that and my mpg is good and no carbon buildup ,or lost of oil at the 8k miles recommended oil change interval . If it make's you happy ( Go for it)The honda dealer will probably Keep your swing for 2 days Ride it around the block and charge you $500. for a oil change and filter.IMO
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: New Bike Maintainence   New Bike Maintainence I_icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 4:55 pm

jda55, I wouldn't worry about a valve adjustment. I have well over 44,000 miles on my SilverWing and see no signs of needing a valve adjustment. I think your SilverWing will let you know if it needs a valve adjustment. The most important thing you will need is a shop manual. Keep a log of your maintenance work, milage, what work you have done and receipts for your materials and you should have no problem if a warranty problem comes up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Bike Maintainence   New Bike Maintainence I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Bike Maintainence
Page 1 of 1