Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Draggin Front Brake I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Today at 9:04 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Draggin Front Brake I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Draggin Front Brake I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 am

» checking the oil
Draggin Front Brake I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Draggin Front Brake I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Draggin Front Brake I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Draggin Front Brake I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Draggin Front Brake I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Draggin Front Brake I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Draggin Front Brake I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Draggin Front Brake

Go down 
+2
RArch
Charlie bravo
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Charlie bravo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Charlie bravo

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2013-05-04

Draggin Front Brake Empty
PostSubject: Draggin Front Brake   Draggin Front Brake I_icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 1:46 pm

Hi All

Picked up the Wing on Friday, only a three and a half hour drive to get it !, then on to see family whilst over that way, got home Sunday and unloaded the van today. Rode it into the shed and up on to the bench for a check over, it seems to have been serviced as the shop said they would, well the oil is clean and it has a new filter screwed on, the sales chap mentioned that the front brake was sticking on a bit so the workshop had stripped the front calliper cleaned every thing and it was now fine .......... it aint Evil or Very Mad ! the front drags badly, to the point that I would not take it for even a short ride, phoned the shop and told the tale, and suggested they post me a seal kit and a bottle of fluid as I prefer to spanner than to drive, OK they said, but they phoned later and said they wouldn't send the seals out, and they must have the bike in to see what the trouble is, as there must be something wrong with it Shocked and it is their responsibility if I hurt myself due to a malfunction, which is good in a way .... I guess ... but this will be 7 hours of van driving and 2 hours of waiting around .... whilst they put new seals in Rolling Eyes then when I tell them that next Saturday I will bring it in 11 am sharp have your mechanics on stand by, they say "I don't think we can do it then" Evil or Very Mad after a small explosion they have agreed to do it then or sub out the job to a Honda Dealer that can.
The pistons all move easily, the calliper floats freely on lovely greased pins, and the 2011 bike has only done 4500 summer miles, I think the seals have got a little hard due to lack of use, perhaps I am wrong, I had better be ! what happens if they can't fix it there and then Question Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
Interesting fact which I learned ages ago : the piston seals are an odd shape, a bit square in section, these 'roll' a little when you apply the brake, when you release the brake the seals 'roll' back taking the pistons with them, the seals are the piston return spring, once you know that, many a dragging brake can be deduced and therefore fixed.
I know I should be grateful that the Dealer is taking things seriously, but I bought a newish Honda because I was getting fed up spannering the 1946 Matchless ... O well, thats life.
Will update this post when they find out what the cause is.
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Draggin Front Brake   Draggin Front Brake I_icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 2:08 pm

What a pain in the a**...

deadhorse
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
agreat
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2013-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Draggin Front Brake   Draggin Front Brake I_icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 4:04 pm

Just as well you didn't have to ride it home, the dealer should have road tested it, How are they going to compensate your time & fuel etc.
Back to top Go down
lcseds
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2011-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Draggin Front Brake   Draggin Front Brake I_icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 7:49 pm

We had a 2009 Swing. My wife drove it one morning and the brake seemed stuck. Stuck to the point the fluid boiled and she lost all brakes (don't ask me how someone would not know the brakes were engaged while riding). Amazing she got it to a parking lot safely. Rotor had turned blue. Still has about one month of warranty and only 3600 miles. Dealer cleaned calipers, new pads and fluid. When they contacted Honda on the warranty claim, Honda ordered a parts capture to determine the failure. Now the entire brake system, front and rear, plus all fittings, hoses and clamps were sent to Honda engineering. I mean right down to the clips. Waited a couple weeks and they had replaced everything except one metal fitting. They finally released it back to us using that one old piece because it was backordered with no ETA. Problem did not crop up again in the few thousand miles we added, but we lost confidence in that bike. Please be careful. Brakes should not "stick". Ours was and ABS bike. Would have been a $1500 or so repair if it went out of warranty.
PS, I have a 2012 now. Did not lose faith in the model, just the one we had.
Back to top Go down
ScootRGuy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2013-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Draggin Front Brake   Draggin Front Brake I_icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 7:41 am

I'm having the same issue, I replaced the brake pads, clean the caliper, pad pin and now it just sticks enough that you can hear the pads rubbing on the rotor. My next project is bleeding the brakes and replacing the brake fluid. What led me to believe the brakes were dragging was the sound it made at various speeds, the sounds seems to be amplified by the plastic fender and front cowl. They act like a speaker and make the brake dragging sound awful.

Gary
Back to top Go down
Charlie bravo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Charlie bravo

PostSubject: Re: Draggin Front Brake   Draggin Front Brake I_icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 1:18 pm

Three hours eighteen mins drive, dropped off scoot, they were waiting for me and got on with the job, after about an hour the calliper seals were replaced and the brake assembly was all back as it should be, "just need to bleed the system now" said the mechanic, .......... Half an hour later I asked if the little bleeders were causing a problem, he said that as the system is large, the bleeding is not quite as easy as some, he used a vacuum bleeder, and it still took him an hour, and he test drove it, and declared it good.
I felt the wheel, it does turn quite easy, but still a little draggy, not much, but a bit, mechanic said that is just how they are ....... I put it in the van and drove three and a half hours home.
So, it is much better, and the dealer got on with it, we'll done Sutton Honda of Tamworth UK, but no offer of fuel help, or a free bike cover or anything, guess that is dealers for you. Off to ride now, review coming soon, as is a givi v47 topbox I just won on eBay !
Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Draggin Front Brake   Draggin Front Brake I_icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 1:04 pm

Charlie, after a relatively normal 20+ mile commute for me, the front caliper is warm (enough so you don't want to put your hand on it for more than a few seconds, but you can put your hand on it for a few seconds without burns), but not hot - I'm amazed how well the single disc cools (probably why Honda felt no need for two discs). You might just keep an eye on it to make sure it's not dragging in use by watching the temperature.

It seems very odd that the seals would go bad just from sitting (the '07 we have doesn't have any braking problems, but I know it was sitting for a couple years, and I don't think the brake was ever messed with because the factory assembly marks for the caliper holding bolts are still lined up). Of course that was also garage kept in dry conditions, so maybe that's a difference. Part of me also wonders if something is physically out of alignment (maybe the bike has some impact or drop damage?). Hopefully however the seals, new fluid, and proper bleeding will get things fixed (it is a pain to bleed, due to the CBS).
Back to top Go down
Charlie bravo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Charlie bravo

PostSubject: Re: Draggin Front Brake   Draggin Front Brake I_icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 2:59 am

Just unlucky seals I guess, I have had the same issue with BMW and others, some seals last over 10 years, some don't, it's the same with fork seals.
I will check my temperature of calliper after the next ride.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Draggin Front Brake   Draggin Front Brake I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Draggin Front Brake
Page 1 of 1