Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
ok so where do i start ?  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
ok so where do i start ?  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:43 am

» May 2024 forum picture
ok so where do i start ?  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:41 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
ok so where do i start ?  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:35 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
ok so where do i start ?  I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
ok so where do i start ?  I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 5:15 am

» LF extended back rest
ok so where do i start ?  I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Yesterday at 8:54 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
ok so where do i start ?  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
ok so where do i start ?  I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
ok so where do i start ?  I_icon_minitimeby landisr Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:15 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

ok so where do i start ?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
moonshiner
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
moonshiner

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2011-08-06

ok so where do i start ?  Empty
PostSubject: ok so where do i start ?    ok so where do i start ?  I_icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 1:08 am

ok ,after only 7000 miles on this last metzeler back tire, its leaking and badly scalloped , chewed to shreds , I am seriously considering, mounting a car tire , but
none of the tires listed on the forum are available in my area , only a Vectra or something is available from pep boys and its for a ford festiva or dodge colt , not a high performance tire in my opinion ..

second I ride a lot of curves and I am concerned with how a car tire would handle , I mean I am use to the way it handles now with a MC tire ....

keith ...
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: ok so where do i start ?    ok so where do i start ?  I_icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 3:23 am

Look for a 155 70 13 Hercules raptice .It's the closest to the size of a 150 70 13 MC tire .Have a look at my photo album.It handles very well in S curve.
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: ok so where do i start ?    ok so where do i start ?  I_icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 5:24 pm

I run Pirelli Diablo tires - about 5 sets so far - and at 7,000 miles don't experience any scalloping, leaking, or chewing to shreds; however, at 7,000 miles mine are gettng close to worn-out - maybe I make it to 9,000 miles (on rear - front could go much more - but I charge it out each time I do the rear change out). If I am not watching the wear bars closely (the interior ones as this is where the wear is the most) then I it quickly can wear to the tread - but even than is very even all aronud the tire. This experience is based on 2 SWing that I have owned (2003 and 2008). It seems to me that there is a lot more going on here than normal tire wear - suggest you investigate why you are getting this wear pattern as it may be indicative of some other issue that is not necessarily corrected by just a tire change. Not saying you should try Diablo's or not go DS - just that you investigate the root cause of what I think is abnormal tire wear IMHO. Good Luck with your issue and keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
moonshiner
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
moonshiner

PostSubject: Re: ok so where do i start ?    ok so where do i start ?  I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 12:13 am

in the two years I have owned the bike I have been all the way through it , I have found nothing , no worn bearings, no frame misalignment, the back swingarm is not loose , no headshake , it tracks very true when you take your hands off the handle bars , this is not the first scalloped tire I have ever seen on one of my motorcycles , I tend to ride aggressively , the roads around here a rough and one hairpin curve after another , the sidewalls wear out before the center , just something as simple as a out of balance , or a poorly made out of round tire can cause scalloping and speed wobbles , I have used diablo's on this wing and I have diablos on two other of my bikes a Kaw 750 spectre and a nighthawk, I love them , changing out both tires is a good idea I always have when I could afford to , I have a brand new set of Dunlop's to put on this weekend and I have a spare rim I was thinking about slapping a car tire on to see what darksiding is all about , I change and balance my own tires, I always have , they want 50$ a wheel to mount and balance and that's off the bike , I think I am in the wrong line of work , I could change at least 5 tires a day before I was give completely out ..lol
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: ok so where do i start ?    ok so where do i start ?  I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 4:04 am

My tire guy charges me $10.for the install,and $20 for tire balancing beads ,and the tire constantly balance it's self when in motion. Be careful about slapping a car tire on the back side,your MC tire might end up as a tire swing ,for the grand kids. :lol!:
Back to top Go down
moonshiner
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
moonshiner

PostSubject: Re: ok so where do i start ?    ok so where do i start ?  I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 9:43 am

tinman wrote:
My tire guy charges me $10.for the install,and $20 for tire balancing beads ,and the tire constantly balance it's self when in motion. Be careful about slapping a car tire on the back side,your MC tire might end up as a tire swing ,for the grand kids. :lol!:
I didn't have time to change a tire one day , so I stopped to see what the going price was these days , at 50$ a wheel this is a certified Honda shop of course and he muttered something about , his man didn't like changing them and being insured in the event they break the rim , so I made time to change the tire , most places here will not touch a scooter tire ..
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: ok so where do i start ?    ok so where do i start ?  I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 6:11 pm

moonshiner wrote:
[EDIT]I have a spare rim I was thinking about slapping a car tire on to see what darksiding is all about , I change and balance my own tires, I always have , they want 50$ a wheel to mount and balance and that's off the bike , I think I am in the wrong line of work , I could change at least 5 tires a day before I was give completely out ..lol

Be ready to kiss that darkside tire goodbye if you're going to try mounting it yourself. My tire guy, who has decades of experience and all the right mounting machines for changing motorcycle tires managed to destroy two Sumitomo tires (ripped sidewall beads) trying to mount them on my SW wheel. But 40,000 miles ago he mounted the 1st Sumitomo with no problem.

Please let us know how you make out though if you do try it.

Tim
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: ok so where do i start ?    ok so where do i start ?  I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 9:10 pm

I don't know about changing Sumimoto But I do know about the 155 70 13 Hercules Raptic tire , And mine went on like soft butter on a hot toast.Don't bother going to a motorcycle dealer to put on a car tire ,you will just freak them out.Find a mom and pop tire shop that repairs tires and sell the odd one or find one with mobile service .As long as they have the shims to instal a car tire on a 13" rim they wont have a problem .Chose a tire that is the closes to a mc tire in size and with 35 to 38 psi you cant tell that you are riding a DS tire .And you can take_____ what the hell Im a DS rider. motorcycle motorcycle motorcycle Walmart will install it also,at least over here.
Back to top Go down
moonshiner
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
moonshiner

PostSubject: Re: ok so where do i start ?    ok so where do i start ?  I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 9:11 pm

that's what I was worried about Tim , a tubeless MC tire is hard enough to put on by hand , car tires have steel in the beads and they don't stretch
plus the beads are thicker, but I am going to give it a go , even if I am cussin and throwing tire irons a half a hour after I start ..lol

I found a high-performance 155 x 70x13 radial tire I forget the name , but its for a imove that is speed rated for 130 mph , I might give it a try
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: ok so where do i start ?    ok so where do i start ?  I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 9:44 pm

You have a lot of good tires to chose from, you will love it.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: ok so where do i start ?    ok so where do i start ?  I_icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 6:41 pm

tinman wrote:
I don't know about changing Sumimoto

I was able to mount 1/2 the Sumitomo by hand. The second half was more of a challenge.

Next time I will be using a series of small wood blocks held by a ratchet strap. The blocks will keep the tire the same height and prevent the tire from going diagonal (making it harder to mount). I expect that then I will be able to mount the second bead by hand (the same way I did the first).
Back to top Go down
moonshiner
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
moonshiner

PostSubject: Re: ok so where do i start ?    ok so where do i start ?  I_icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2013 1:12 am

: note to ones self: , when you change you own tires , lay off the slime ..what a ~~@%&!^$ mess .... lol
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: ok so where do i start ?    ok so where do i start ?  I_icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2013 5:52 am

honda silver is right with the wood blocks to keep the tire in the canter of the rim cavity,and a bit of Vaseline on the rim bead and tire will help to seal the tire in place not to much if you are planing to use tire beads for balancing.There is a home made tire changer on U tube using a old tire rim and a 5/8 treaded rode to bolt it on a work bench that works well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ok so where do i start ?    ok so where do i start ?  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ok so where do i start ?
Page 1 of 1