Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Winter Gas = Won't Start I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05

» LF extended back rest
Winter Gas = Won't Start I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 14:21

» New to Me Swing
Winter Gas = Won't Start I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56

» I said Farewell...
Winter Gas = Won't Start I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed 24 Apr - 11:52

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Winter Gas = Won't Start I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed 24 Apr - 9:28

» Drive belt prices
Winter Gas = Won't Start I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed 24 Apr - 7:28

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Winter Gas = Won't Start I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed 24 Apr - 5:37

» Rear shock longevity
Winter Gas = Won't Start I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue 23 Apr - 17:11

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Winter Gas = Won't Start I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue 23 Apr - 12:01

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Winter Gas = Won't Start I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun 21 Apr - 13:37

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Winter Gas = Won't Start

Go down 
+2
bigbird
Cosmic_Jumper
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Winter Gas = Won't Start Empty
PostSubject: Winter Gas = Won't Start   Winter Gas = Won't Start I_icon_minitimeSat 22 Jan - 0:01

There are three Silverwings here in the Philadelphia area that won't start. They are all cranking fine but the engine won't fire. This problem has just occured as the weather has turned cold and also as the local gas has been reformulated to the winter blend.

I strongly suspect that the problem may be that the cold has caused the fuel (in the tank) to seperate & stratify. If that's the case then maybe 'stuff' has blocked the fuel pump, or possibly the 'fuel' that is getting through the pump is too contaminated to fire.

All three of the scoots have purchased fuel from different locations -so it can't be a bad fuel from a single source problem. The scoot having the most recent failure has had Seafoam added to each tankful for several months. Two of the scoots are kept in relatively unheated garages. While the third scoot is kept in a covered, but unheated and open, outside parking garage. That scoot developed the problem at the end of December.

It also seems to me that if this is a fuel problem brought on by the cold weather then similar problems would also be happening to snowmobiles.

Anyone out there have some input on this?

Tim
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Winter Gas = Won't Start   Winter Gas = Won't Start I_icon_minitimeSat 22 Jan - 0:06

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sat 9 Jun - 12:33; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
slava777
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Winter Gas = Won't Start   Winter Gas = Won't Start I_icon_minitimeSat 22 Jan - 0:28

I would recommend to add Stabil or any stabilizer to prevent fuel breakdown and ride it a short bit to mix the fuel in the tank. Also, keep as little air as possible in the gas tank to prevent condensation.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Winter Gas = Won't Start 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Winter Gas = Won't Start   Winter Gas = Won't Start I_icon_minitimeSat 22 Jan - 1:30

Whats a snowmobile? Just another case of big government knowing what is best for us. My two cents and woth every bit of it.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Winter Gas = Won't Start   Winter Gas = Won't Start I_icon_minitimeSat 22 Jan - 17:07

bigbird wrote:
I've heard of this happening. You can probably blame the cold weather for causing water condensation in the gas. The extra water now causes the gas in your tank to stratify or separate. The water sinks to the bottom of your tank along with the alcohol part of the E10 gasoline. Your fuel pump is sucking up water and alcohol, but not gasoline. My suggestion is to syphon out all the fuel from the tank and try refilling with fresh fuel.

I tend to agree with your diagnosis & treatment, but
if that were the case, wouldn't you think that all you folks up there in snowmobile & Quad country would have had this problem too?

Just asking...hoping for more insight.

Tim
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Winter Gas = Won't Start   Winter Gas = Won't Start I_icon_minitimeSun 23 Jan - 3:28

Might be water on the spark plugs. Sometimes when cranking a cold engine if the humidity is high the plugs can short out due to moisture on the electrodes. I've had that happen a few times in Alaska with small engines. It could be crud in the fuel tank especially with ethanol in the fuel. It could also be a slightly weak battery. If the bike is unusually cold the load on the electrical system might be too high for enough voltage on the ignition system to develop a hot spark. A cold stiff engine takes a lot more current from the battery for the starter to turn over not leaving a lot of power for the rest of the bike's systems. A little heat on the bike might get it going. Once it's running riding it long enough to get the temperature up to normal and keeping it there for awhile might help. One other thing that helps is to keep the tank filled. An empty tank collects condensation resulting in water in the bottom of the tank. Aircraft that are tied down in the weather always have full tanks to prevent that very thing.
Back to top Go down
trouble1100
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
trouble1100

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Winter Gas = Won't Start   Winter Gas = Won't Start I_icon_minitimeSun 23 Jan - 14:55

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
I tend to agree with your diagnosis & treatment, but
if that were the case, wouldn't you think that all you folks up there in snowmobile & Quad country would have had this problem too?

Just asking...hoping for more insight.

Early December I had trouble starting my Honda Rancher due to fuel starvation. I ended up rebuilding the carburetor that was contaminated with a white pasty crap.

Research revealed the white pasty crap is the aluminum in carburetor corroding to aluminum hydroxide, aluminum's version of rust. If left as is the aluminum parts will die a slow death.

There are two mechanisms that occur with ethanol. Both mechanisms are a result of the ethanol absorbing water. The more ethanol in the fuel, the more water there will be in the fuel, especially after storage. Water causes aluminum parts to corrode. It also causes corrosion particles to clog fuel filters, fuel systems, and damage engine components. Aluminum hydroxide turns to aluminum oxide with heat (think combustion chamber) that is used as an abrasive in sandpaper.

The second mechanism that can occur with the use of ethanol based fuel and aluminum is galvanic corrosion. The corrosion will be worse for aluminum if other metals are present such as copper that is in brass fittings and jets or in the aluminum alloy. Gasoline fuel is not conductive, but ethanol and water will conduct electricity.

The only problem on fuel-injected machines is fuel separation in the tank since no fuel is stored as it is in a carburetor float bowl. To avoid this I now use a fuel stabilizer with gas drier when the machines are put on hiatus for the season.

http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/default.aspx

The drier will bond with water and gather at the bottom of the tank. When you want to ride again you can remove it either by draining whats at the bottom or sucking it out with something like a turkey baster.

Sadly our 250 Reflex will not start and have had trouble starting this past year. I drained the fuel bowl, drained and refilled the tank with treated fuel and will rebuild the carburetor when time allows.
I’m happy to say both Wings and the Bergman start and idle, the Rancher is running like a champ and doing its winter duty.

Winter Gas = Won't Start Picture

Last edited by trouble1100 on Thu 10 Feb - 15:58; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Winter Gas = Won't Start   Winter Gas = Won't Start I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Winter Gas = Won't Start
Page 1 of 1