Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 9:19 pm

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» checking the oil
Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Fri May 03, 2024 7:41 am

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike

Go down 
+9
tarmacburner2
Colin B
exavid
Meldrew
MikeO
4getful2
tinman
john grinsel
Gyro
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2013-04-07

Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 10:22 am

First topic message reminder :

Specifically, Silver Wings fitted with the Danson kit. Some of this information may apply to other trike/outrigger kits, but contact your kit manufacturer for their recommendations.

The Danson kit comes standard with a trailer hitch, but no information about suitable trailers, load capacity, etc. I emailed Danson and received this reply:

Quote :
Hello Jim,

You can tow a smaller trailer with about 150-200 lbs of gear. This also depends on the overall combined weight of the rider and passenger. The bike will have enough power to tow it, but braking is where you will notice the load. Give yourself more time to stop. Take it slow and easy riding down hills until you get a feel for how long it takes to stop. The greater the load, including the trailer and contents, the more time you need to give yourself to stop. On longer, steeper hills, be sure the brakes are not heating up. If they smell hot, pull over and let them cool.

It will take some experience to get a feel for riding while towing a trailer. The handling will not be affected as much, but the braking is what you need to be mindful of until you get a feel for it.

The best approach is to take it easy at first until you know how the bike will respond to the trailer and the increased load. Once you get used to it and develop a good feel for riding with the trailer you will know what the limitations are, and can adjust how you ride accordingly.

So? Why doesn't one of the motorcycle trailer manufacturers make a trike-specific model fitted with mechanical or electric brakes?
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2013 1:15 am

I suspect a trike would be a bit safer to tow a trailer, especially with a SW or other fairly light bike. On the other hand motorcycles have been towing trailers for many years with little problems.
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 9:38 pm

First impressions towing the Shadow Mini-trailer:

What trailer? That's right, other than the occasional clank or rattle going over bumps, there's no indication that there's a trailer back there. Only the occasional glance in the rear view reminds me that it's there. I've towed the trailer (empty) around town all afternoon to get a feel for it. I detect no difference at all in braking with just me, and only a slight increase with both of us on the trike. Tomorrow I plan to load about 150 lb of weight in the trailer and try it again. I think by the weekend, we will be ready to head for the lake for a little camping. Smile

Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike - Page 2 Trailer0001_zpsafe3ff01

Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike - Page 2 Trailer0003_zps2c409f7c

Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike - Page 2 Trailer0004_zpsde7cce0c
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 12:20 am

That's a really nice set-up and it looks great too. What kind of camping gear will you take that will weigh 150 lbs, or are you just going to put 150 lbs in it to see how it rides. I bet you will be much more comfortable camping with a trailer like this. You can probably even bring a inflatable bed too.
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 7:20 am

JeffR_ wrote:
That's a really nice set-up and it looks great too. What kind of camping gear will you take that will weigh 150 lbs, or are you just going to put 150 lbs in it to see how it rides. I bet you will be much more comfortable camping with a trailer like this. You can probably even bring a inflatable bed too.

150 lb is the maximum I would ever consider. Actual weight of camping gear - probably less than 100 lb.
9'x10' dome tent, propane camp stove, two folding sling chairs, ice chest of food & drink, air mattress. (I have a folding air bed, but it's a heavy sucker.) tote full of misc. supplies & cooking gear. battery lantern. In other words, the usual stuff. Cool
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 12:09 pm

I like the way it looks. Do you leave the rear wheel of the Swing in tact? Using it as a power driver or do the rear outside wheels actually drive the trike? Is there a "true" trike kit out there?
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 12:26 pm

DaveR wrote:
I like the way it looks. Do you leave the rear wheel of the Swing in tact? Using it as a power driver or do the rear outside wheels actually drive the trike? Is there a "true" trike kit out there?

The Danson conversion kit is an "outrigger," as are the majority of conversion kits for scooters - Tow-Pac, Trigg, etc.

Yelvington is the only company that I know of that does a "true" trike conversion where the rear wheel is replaced with a differential axle and supplies power to both rear wheels.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2