Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Helmet / dash camera I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Helmet / dash camera I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Helmet / dash camera I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Helmet / dash camera I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Helmet / dash camera I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Helmet / dash camera I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Helmet / dash camera I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Helmet / dash camera I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Helmet / dash camera I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Helmet / dash camera I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Helmet / dash camera

Go down 
+7
hotwings
tinman
chindog
tarmacburner2
RArch
ScootRGuy
Nowun
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Nowun
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Nowun

Number of posts : 288
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Helmet / dash camera Empty
PostSubject: Helmet / dash camera   Helmet / dash camera I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 5:31 pm

My new helmet / dash cam has arrived! Tried it out in the small car (the Pink Stealth) today and I'm impressed.
It's a Drift HD 1080p - ran it on 720p to keep the file size small. Will try it on 1080p for quality later.
Anybody else use a camera?
Back to top Go down
ScootRGuy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2013-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Helmet / dash camera   Helmet / dash camera I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 9:10 am

I use a GoPro Hero 2 for not only riding my SW but also when flying my FPV Quad copter. It takes great video and I have used it extensively for RC recording. I was going to do a video last week with my SWing but the mount broke into a million pieces when I tried to put it on my helmet. I had to order a new mount which I just got last night so maybe this weekend I'll do a video.

Gary
Back to top Go down
Nowun
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Nowun

PostSubject: Re: Helmet / dash camera   Helmet / dash camera I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 2:31 pm

Successfully captured some boring commutes in the car - tomorrow I'll see what filtering on the Wing looks like.

Helmet clip in position and rarin' to go.

Be interesting to see RC helo shots, Gary
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Helmet / dash camera   Helmet / dash camera I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 2:41 pm

Which type helmet clip did you use Nowun?

A friend of mine has the Drift too but hasn't fitted it to his helmet, instead he got a clamp type which he has fixed to the mirror stem.

What I really like about the Drift is the way you can twist the lens so that its correct no matter what what angle its mounted.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
ScootRGuy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Helmet / dash camera   Helmet / dash camera I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 3:47 pm

You can see some of my Youtube videos here: https://www.youtube.com/user/gmoney37211/featured

Just click on the link and enjoy.

Gary
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Helmet / dash camera   Helmet / dash camera I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 4:33 pm

The Quad is a really stable platform for the video camera. Is there any way of mounting it underneath the quad so that the rotor blades aren't in shot?

Here are some of videos shot by my cameras

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tarmacburner2&oq=tarmacburner2&gs_l=youtube.3...2986.8698.0.9226.13.13.0.0.0.0.76.816.13.13.0...0.0...1ac.1.aAXF7kxslVQ

Sat24_03, Catfiddle2-1 and May02_01ava_clip5 were all taken on a cheap £10 camera bought off ebay. Leaving_Chippy_clip7 taken by GoPro Hero HD (mounted on the windscreen of my VW Golf)

Minor point, on the Catfiddle video at about 6:35 you will notice my mate (with the camera) overtakes me. No hand signals or anything but I had pulled into the side of the road and slowed down so he could safely overtake me and take the lead, the beauty about having bike2bike comms.
What a great road.

I now have a mounting for the GoPro on top of my helmet, just need to try it out,

Cheers,

Last edited by tarmacburner2 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:27 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Back to top Go down
Nowun
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Nowun

PostSubject: Re: Helmet / dash camera   Helmet / dash camera I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 6:23 pm

RArch - I am using an adhesive curved surface socket with the clip attached to the camera - will get its first airing tomorrow. The camera will be canted slightly so the adjustable lens will be a bonus

In the car I have a large sucker and adjustable arm that was included in the kit. Drift do have a picture of the sucker mount being used on a m/cycle fairing - states it can take cameras up to 3lbs in weight

Great landings Gary!

Interesting shots TMB. I'll Check out the difference between helmet mounting and scooter - whether too much head movement distracts from the video.
Back to top Go down
ScootRGuy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Helmet / dash camera   Helmet / dash camera I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 6:29 pm

Tarmac I can change the field to remove the props however when you flying first person video using goggles it helps to see the props.

Gary
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

PostSubject: Re: Helmet / dash camera   Helmet / dash camera I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 6:54 pm

Nowum,

Have yet to try the helmet mounted camera. What I was thinking is that I will be recording what I'm actually looking at so some variety of shot will be preferable to minutes of just going down a road displaying the quality of the tarmac.

Gary,
I now understand what you are doing - using the camera as your eyes so you get a pilot's eye view. I'm experimenting with having a very small camera fixed under a helicopter but first I have to learn how to fly the damn helicopter. At least the camera is only a cheap one (same can be said for the helicopter as well).

Cheers,

Last edited by tarmacburner2 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Tautology)
Back to top Go down
chindog
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
chindog

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2013-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Helmet / dash camera   Helmet / dash camera I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 7:13 pm

I've got a cheapo Emerson EVC355 that I got at Big Lots for $40. It looks a lot like the Hero, but nowhere near the quality. For quick trip photos and videos, the quality seems to be acceptable. I mounted it on my mirror stalk, and there was so much vibration that the videos were not watchable. It came with a helmet mount, but that was designed for a bicycle helmet, with a strap that would loop through the air vents on the helmet. So, I have put some velcro on the bottom of the mount, and on the top of my helmet. I haven't tried it out yet.
Back to top Go down
Nowun
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Nowun

PostSubject: Re: Helmet / dash camera   Helmet / dash camera I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 6:58 pm

TMB - The camera on the helmet works well - you can see the mirror checks and the direction I'm looking, makes for an interesting view point. On the outbound ride the angle was too low, a coupel of clicks higher on the return trip. I'm gonna do some editing and see if I can figure out YouTube.

Looking forward to your in-flight movie ...

Chindog - don't forget to post and tell us how you get on
Back to top Go down
Nowun
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Nowun

PostSubject: Re: Helmet / dash camera   Helmet / dash camera I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 4:56 pm

First editing efforts were no good. But I filmed my ride out of Winchester on 3rd April for something a bit more interesting.

I've put some captions on, too. This is still at 720p and I have removed the audio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFoIePSCZiI
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

PostSubject: Re: Helmet / dash camera   Helmet / dash camera I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 5:29 am

Hello Nowum,

Camera really works well on the helmet. The clip must be very secure as there is no vibration or shaking even when you were motoring on. I assume the camera does HD (1080) so should be even more impressive.
Like the view you get from having the camera on the helmet. I found that having the camera mounted on the scooter (about dipped beam height) the surface on the road was too distracting. As yet I have to try ythe helmet mounted position but I can see how much better that will be. Especially when 'rubber necking' at things to the side of you (and the threatening clouds approaching).
Looked at your car video as well. I can mount my Hero using a sucker on the windscreen. If I can find a short video I'll link it in a post.
On a totally different thing - have you noticed your screen on the video - even at relatively slow speed?

Can someone open this and let me know if it copies down to your computer or if it plays directly from the dropbox? Ta.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/89523430/TarnGorge.MP4 (doesn't work )

Cheers,

Last edited by tarmacburner2 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Video not there (it is but probably too large))
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Helmet / dash camera   Helmet / dash camera I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 7:02 am

It said (Erro 404) . My wife want's me to get a helmet cam .She want to see a moose smack down . I don't want to re live an in counter.It would be painful to watch a second time around.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Helmet / dash camera   Helmet / dash camera I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 7:12 am

Nowun wrote:
First editing efforts were no good. But I filmed my ride out of Winchester on 3rd April for something a bit more interesting.

I've put some captions on, too. This is still at 720p and I have removed the audio.

Holy crap. Be careful driving on the wrong side of the road like that!!
Back to top Go down
Nowun
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Nowun

PostSubject: Re: Helmet / dash camera   Helmet / dash camera I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 7:49 am

@TMB - Yep, pleased with the pics. Cam is fixed with an adhesive pad - 3M stuff - sticks like sh.. to a blanket. Only vibration is through my head. I think the view is more interesting than the fixed cam, too. It has 1080 and will be trying that next.

... I got Error 404 on your link, too

Yes I noticed the flexing - doesn't notice when riding cos my focus is beyond it - guess it's the bamboo in the storm effect - bend or break. Interesting. The wind was particularly strong that day - gusting around 30mph from the NE, which would have been roughly from my 10 o'clock on the exposed sections.

@Tinman - agreed, it must be painful for the mooses!

@Hotwings - we like to do that so we can use our swords against the cads and bounders going the other way Smile

Last edited by Nowun on Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:53 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : info added)
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

PostSubject: Re: Helmet / dash camera   Helmet / dash camera I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 7:56 am

I'll do some editing and create a small file. I think the file I put on was 3.6Gb (a tad large).

I've just reinstalled my video software so now have to re-learn how to use it!

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Helmet / dash camera   Helmet / dash camera I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 8:42 am

Nowun wrote:

Great video! Quietest Silver Wing ever too! cheers
Back to top Go down
Nowun
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Nowun

PostSubject: Re: Helmet / dash camera   Helmet / dash camera I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 8:52 am

Thanks Glen - who ever said the stock screen was noisy! Cool
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Helmet / dash camera   Helmet / dash camera I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 3:32 pm

Nice riding Nowun Cool

The camera works great at that resolution. How big a file is 60 mins of video at 720p?

Do you feel any drag from the camera mounted on one side?
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
Nowun
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Nowun

PostSubject: Re: Helmet / dash camera   Helmet / dash camera I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 4:05 pm

The original file for that clip was 40.52 mins and the file 1.96GB
The camera does drag a little, particularly with the crosswinds across the top of the Downs, but it is not a problem.
I think it would drag where ever it was on the helmet as it is quite a chunky shape.

That stretch of road is great in the dry, but there is so much chalk and gravel washed out from the side, that it can be quite unnerving in the wet - and icy!

Just watched Valentino Rossi get 2nd at Qatar - from a very long way back - super racing. He hasn't lost the knack!
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Helmet / dash camera   Helmet / dash camera I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2018 3:16 pm

Well, a dash mount camera? Tried all sorts of options and went for fairing mount.
Helmet / dash camera Fairin10

Helmet / dash camera Camera10

Helmet / dash camera Comera12

Helmet / dash camera Camera11

Helmet / dash camera Camrea13

The lanyard is fastened by dog collar latch hooking onto a half-loop fixing attached to the coaming. The lanyard is a strong elastic. For more info contact me but I hope this looks self explanatory
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Helmet / dash camera   Helmet / dash camera I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2018 8:14 am

Great idea ! Thanks.

Jay.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1983
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Helmet / dash camera   Helmet / dash camera I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2018 8:54 am

Nice video Nowun. That's right. You guys drive on the wrong side of the road over there.
Sorry, I couldn't help it... I'd probably get into an accident after the first intersection.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Helmet / dash camera   Helmet / dash camera I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2018 11:46 am

BTW cotetoi, beware that the playback does show vibration during the pullaway from a standing start and in slow traffic but I think it's a small price to pay. Whilst normal riding the playback is fine, certainly sufficient for enjoyable watching or an insurance claim!

Incidently, where does cotetoi come from? I reminds me of an REM song called Cuyahoga....
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Helmet / dash camera   Helmet / dash camera I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2018 4:23 pm

Loosebearing, Thanks for the warning about the vibration.

I don't know the song, but "cotetoi'" is Creole. I am originally from Mauritius. Cote toi ? means where are you? Cote toi! means at your place, house, etc. So it is a question that has the answer all in one !
Further, I lived in the UK for about 8 years 73-81 in the last century ! Northampton, and North London.

Jay.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Helmet / dash camera   Helmet / dash camera I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Helmet / dash camera
Page 1 of 1